Forum Home Forum Home > Tippmann Paintball > New Player Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Which Mask is Right for you?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which Mask is Right for you?
    Posted: 25 December 2006 at 10:45pm
So I know with the influx of new players, players that are moving up, and just the general population that can become perplexed at which of our game's masks are right for them, I figured it wouldn't hurt to at least make a guide for the holidays.

I'm mainly going to focus on the higher end masks, because...Well, anything less than the best our market has to offer is basically all the same. The anti-fog WILL wear off, your foam is going to wear down, and eventually, you'll just out grow the Scott mask that came with your new gun. 

Dye Precision Products Masks(Invisions I3's, etc.)- In all of my years of playing, this has to be my least favorite of any of the "high-end" masks I've owned.  Bulky, hot, and a pain in the butt to clean. They do tend, however, to offer some of the best "jawline" protection, and many of the people I know think they can be quite comfortable.  I HIGHLY suggest trying on/testing out a pair before investing in them.

Price: You can get a new pair of the 05 Model Invisions for around 40-50 dollars, where as the newer versions of the "I3"(below) can run as high as $100.

JT Products Flex-7s/8s/ProFlexes/etc.- JT has been making flexes for years, and they are probably the most widely owned and used of any "high-end" mask.  I wear mine when it's too hot for my e-vents. They are really cushy, and offer a nice range of vision, but the chin line leave something to be desired, and if you like a snug mask, they aren't for you. Flexes are also the easiest to modify, customize, "up," whatever...so if you plan on following the "Agg" crowd, or have a scheme in mind to make your mask fit YOU, then the flexes are for you. 

Price:  New, they can range from $40 dollars for a low end Flex-7 to $70 dollars for a new LE Flex-8, and I've seen customized, "up'd" flexes go for around 200 dollars on PBN before.

Flex-8

V-Force Profilers- They were the first "high-end" mask I owned, comfy, easier to clean than flexes, and I prefer looking through them as well.  They fit pretty close to your face, though with the smaller gaps in the front, breathing is more restricted than others. I only wear mine for when I'm coaching now during x-ball though. Profilers tend to be dying out in a lot of places, and I think that is mainly because of the Vents offering a very similar package in a lighter get-up.  I definetly suggest trying them on, because many people prefer the space that the Profilers offer away from your face on the inside.

Price: Profilers tend to run from around $70-80.

Events E-Ventz - Without a doubt the (In my opinion) best pair of goggles out there.  They fit snug to your face, almost like a second skin.  Easier to clean, by far, than any other available mask. Cleaning is as simplay as rotating two pieces, and taking out the clasps.  I've also gotten a good number of bounces off of mine, though I can't promise that's not because they were a special design for Infamous, as I DO have a prototype pair. From the newer pairs I've worn, they have only gotten even more comfortable, with soft rubber insets throughout the mask to ensure a snug fit, and comfort.  The only drawback I find is that occasionally on extremely hot days(>98* or so) it fits a little too closely to the face, so I swap to my flexes for some extra breathing room. The only complaint I've heard from anyone is that some people do not like how snug it rides on your face, I haven't noticed any problems with this though.

Price: They run about $80 dollars new.

*Note* Eventz come standard with soft ears, but there is a slightly "lower" end version called the avatars. From what I understand, they are the same mask without softears.  If you plan on buying these though, remember it will be illegal to modify them to accept soft ears.

Conclusion: Honestly, if I had to tell you one mask to go and pick up, I'd vote for the Events.  But, being the good forum citizen that I am, I urge each and every one of you in the market for a new mask to go to your local store and try them on.  Everyone has their own little quirks about how they want their mask, and I just thought this may be a helpful little guide. Note, just because these were the only masks I listed, does NOT mean that there aren't more masks out there. Every single one of the masks above tend to have mid- and low- end options, just remember, you get what you pay for.

If you would like to add anything, or if I have made any errors, feel free to pm me.

I hope this helps, feel free to pm/ask me any questions you have.

Thanks to lester98c

Edited by usafpilot07 - 28 December 2006 at 8:33pm
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
choopie911 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 December 2006 at 11:03pm
Cool thread, I'd encourage others (who know their stuff) to add to this/ do the same.
lester98c View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
i wish my title was "different"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lester98c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 December 2006 at 12:25am
The Vents avatar seems to be a great choice for people who like e-vents but don't want the extra risk of soft ears.

phil_stl View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
strike 1 flaming 3/2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phil_stl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 December 2006 at 11:09am

Great job lester, it's perfect for those who are looking to get a high end mask, I already have a Vforce Profiler (only $50 CDN - so I'm happy). 

But very nice work!

Edit -- Okay then, thanks USAF, great work I think it is very informative, very well done and put together!!

Edited by phil_stl - 26 December 2006 at 10:35pm
lester98c View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
i wish my title was "different"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lester98c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 December 2006 at 11:11am
Should be thanking Usafpilot he put the reel time into this.
Bandit5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandit5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 December 2006 at 6:59pm
I use to use JT masks... then I found the superior design of the Proto Switch masks.  The ability to take out the lens with a few twists in order to fully clean or replace it is exactly what I needed in a mask.  Replacing my JT lenses were always a hassle, and clenaing was more difficult.
lilsully4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilsully4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 December 2006 at 7:04pm
Very good, sure to help people
MeanMan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MeanMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 December 2006 at 7:29pm

I have to say, ive tried some of my friends masks, flex 7s, invisions, and i didnt like them that much.  They just felt wierd.  I just got my cheap Vforce provantages(charcoal) for christmas, and i absolutely love them.

If your into cheaper masks, check them out.  I just got them from county.  You can try all you want, i havent been able to get them to fog up, im sure eventualy they will though.

I have an idea, what we can do is have people post what mask they have(other than the ones posted by USAF), pictures if they have them, and a review of their mask.  This will help alot with the questions lately.  Maybe go deeper into USAF's idea.  I can do provantage.

Edited by MeanMan - 26 December 2006 at 7:31pm

hybrid-sniper~"To be honest, if I see a player still using an Impulse I'm going to question their motives."
usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2006 at 11:28am
That's fine MeanMan, as long as each write up is informative, and on the same format as mine, I can just copy it into the main post.  I just have never used any of the "mid-range" masks, so I stuck to my area of semi-expertise.
southernboy51 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote southernboy51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2006 at 12:28pm
I just got my Avatar Vents and i absolutly love them. Best pair of goggles i have ever put on my head.
MeanMan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MeanMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2006 at 1:25pm
When i get to play with them ill send you my little review in a pm.  My next time playing might be in my house

hybrid-sniper~"To be honest, if I see a player still using an Impulse I'm going to question their motives."
carl_the_sniper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - 7/29, Bad Linky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carl_the_sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 December 2006 at 12:27am

I love my 20/20's

They are high end but priced just under high end.

Maybe you caould add something about them?

<just say no to unnecessarily sexualized sigs>
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 December 2006 at 12:46am
If anyone wants to do a write up about any mask, they are more than welcome too. I only wrote about what I have experience with, as I have never even heard of "20/20's" therefore I wouldn't be able to write an effective review about them. Feel free to do that in the same format as the guide and pm it to me.
dontrummer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dontrummer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2007 at 12:05pm
i like extreme rage. they got a super comfortable foam padding.
nathanours View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nathanours Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2007 at 3:02am

well i dont know about paintball masks, but i snowboard all the time and have a pair of $130 goggles that had anti fog stuff on em

it did wear off after a while, but there is this stuff u can buy for like $4 that is an anti fog liquid and after u rub it onto ur lenses they WILL NOT fog up for at least a week of every day use and the bottle will last u for quite a few applications

sorry if this offends any one but it is funny

Tippman 98c w/ J&J ceramic barrel
polished internals
expansion chamber
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2007 at 5:20pm
Originally posted by nathanours nathanours wrote:

well i dont know about paintball masks, but i snowboard all the time and have a pair of $130 goggles that had anti fog stuff on em

it did wear off after a while, but there is this stuff u can buy for like $4 that is an anti fog liquid and after u rub it onto ur lenses they WILL NOT fog up for at least a week of every day use and the bottle will last u for quite a few applications

'

I've never had a problem with any of my thermal lenses ever fogging up, and believe me, they've been through it all, the climate around here changes ALOT between summer and winter, and I've never had any problems with them. Anti-fog solution is generally for lower end masks that do not have a thermal lense available.
ekeboo View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
strike 1 5/1 Filter dodge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ekeboo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2007 at 12:41am
I actually just bought an Invision3 and its really comfortable. Tad bit bulky but i have had way worse! I love this mask. 

Ken Majors View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Tree? What tree? OW!!!! Dangit!!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken Majors Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2007 at 1:24pm
I still wear my Vforce Shield. Uses the same lens as the profiler but is bigger and fits my enormous mick melon.
RLTW
Tolgak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Master of MSPaint and bri's Daddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tolgak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2007 at 10:01pm
I put this on the Special Ops Forum, I don't know why I didn't put it here:

A mask is the most important piece of gear in paintball that you own and is the only reason why our sport is safe. Your mask is so significant that it should be the first piece of equipment you buy. It is also must recieve the most attention when it comes to maintenance so that it does not fail you in a game. This post will come in 2 segments. The first is my mask selection guide for 2006, and the second will be Femur Breaker's tips on maintenance and storage.

Tolga K.'s Mask Guide Spring 2006

What to look for in a mask (Most Important to Least in my opinion):

Remember that before you buy any mask, find a way to try it on. This is an absolute must.

Safety:

The lens should be secure in the mask and not easily moved around. Same goes for the sides and the "grill." If the strap has any potential of coming loose, don't even consider buying it. Make sure it has enough protection too keep paint from hitting your jaw or temple. A shot to the temple has the potential to knock you out or even kill you. Masks come in all shapes and sizes so those of you with big heads (like yours truly) really need to check this out. The last thing you want to do is buy a mask for its reputation only to find that it doesn't cover your sensitive areas.

Comfort:

If the mask squeezes your head or the foam can shred your skin off, don't buy it. Wear something that has soft foam and that can fit snugly. When trying on a mask, do it with any headgear that you play with. Also, ALL of the foam around the lens should contact your face for proper fit, if it doesn't work out, raise or lower the strap to figure out where it should be. I find that I'm most comfortable with a backwards Flexfit hat on. It puts the strap where it needs to be and keeps my hair out of the goggles. If you wear glasses under your mask, avoid double pane lenses (unless you want to take the thermal pane out) because glasses wont fit under most of those.

Optical Clarity and Fogging:

In paintball, the most important sense you have is sight. You'll never hit an enemy without knowing exactly where he is (or just rare cases of luck). Having a mask with a variety of good lenses available to you is very important. Airflow behind the lens should come from the outside and the area should be separated from the bottom half to prevent moist air from getting up behind the lens and fogging it. Yes there's foam on all masks (except the V-force Vantage rental version), but if you look at the nose area on your masks, many will have vents that allow moist air to come up from your mouth.

The field of vision should be a factor too. Some masks only allow a small range to be seen without turning your head. This doesn't help in looking for people but just knowing your distance from a bunker or where your comrades beside you are.

Breathing, Speaking and Hearing:

This all has to do with the ventalation around the ears and lower half of the mask. When at the store, take a buddy with you. When you try on the mask, ask him to talk to you and also talk to him to see how well the sound travels. You'll also want to try breathing heavily or with short, quick breaths to see how it feels. If the mask slows your breath down enough so that you will have to struggle to breather during these tests, don't buy it. A lot of masks have huge holes (like the old Scott mask that used to come in the 98 Custom power pack, but they do no good.

Quick Change Lens:

More masks these days allow you to change out a lens in just seconds. This is not just some novelty, it really helps. The best thing about it is how it helps in cleaning the goggles. My lens is double pane so I really don't want to risk getting water in the unreachable part by drenching it. To clean, all you have to do is remove the lens and (though it is not recommended) dunk the mask for a few seconds. If you get shot in the lens in a game, the best way to clean it (afterward) is to take it out of the frame so that you can get every corner and clean out those places on the mask that could be holding paint from the impact. If the lens cracks, or you need to change from a tinted to non-tinted lens, you can do it before the next game starts.

Weight:

Light is obviously better. You should be able to hold your head up without fatigue and be able to quickly look to the right or left.

Profile:

You want it to be slim but not to the point where the mask is actually touching your face. In some parts it's inevitable but if it's in front of your mouth where it's touching, forget it. Nobody wants to go home with a bloody lip.

Make sure it covers all of your parts. Some people with larger heads find that their chins stick out below the mask. For example, I can't fit in a JT Proteus. No part of your ears or jaws should be exposed. If you can't stand forhead shots, make sure it has a visor or at least a brow shield. If you have to sacrifice profile for a bit more coverage, do it. You don't want to risk your temple or something just because the mask has a less of a chance of getting hit.

If you have a stock or something on your gun, bring it. You never know if that mask will fit with a stock or not.

Ball Deflection:

Most likely, a ball that hits will break. But with a softer lower section, that chance is reduced and you can extend your time in the game. Don't buy something that flexes enough that it will let the mask slap against your face when hit. Hard masks are ok to buy if you don't mind the 99% chance of breakage.

Color and Shape:

You want to play in style. YOU WANT TO. It's the least important factor but still, you don't want to play with something that you will think is ugly every time you lay eyes on it. Besides, most good quality masks look awesome anyway. They do that to draw your attention to the expensive stuff. Enjoy the fact that you can look like a BAD BUTTOCKS!, or that all your apparel matches color, or you look like you're some visitor from space. Almost all masks are available in some sort of subdued color scheme if you'd like. Proto offers the Switch in black but a black lens comes seperately.

About lenses:

I have a smoke lens (black) and I love it. It's just like wearing sunglasses. It is so much easier to see in high light conditions and can help you hide in the woods because it's so dark. Mirror lenses have the same effect and if there's no direct sunlight, the reflectiveness will actually reflect the flora around you to aid in camouflage. Amber elminates certain colors so that other colors stand out. Think about wearing shooting glasses. Bright colors will stand out and contrast is greatly increased.

Other Tips:

Like I said before, try on the mask through a friend, fellow player, or pro shop.

Don't just try on your target mask, try on a bunch. You may never realize that the mask of your dreams only costs $30 when you had your eyes set on an Invision.

If the mask has some sort of special capability, try it out. I mainly mean a quick-change lens system. Some systems are easier than others for certain people.

You don't have to buy it in a pro shop. You could try it on at a store and buy it online for 1/2 the price.

Buying a USED mask IS OK. Sometimes really good ones sell for very cheap. I recently acquired a Profiler for $20. Just remember to inspect for cracks or any signs of weakness. The mask guide works for used masks too.

Mask Suggestions:

Keep in mind that I'm stating price ranges, not quality. Better quality usually comes with a higher price tag but there are exceptions where cheap masks have quality.

High Budget:

Proto Axis: Same great features as Proto Switch FS with a little bit of the Invision (very light) thrown in there. In my opinion it will be the best new mask on the market. The lens can be changed in seconds and it is a very clear lens. The only difference you see when putting on the mask (the F.S.) is that everything gets a little bigger. I’ve tried it on and it’s easily one of the lightest I’ve worn. The foam is as good as the F.S. and the visibility is about the same.

Empire E-Vent: I've read much about it and looks just as promising as the Axis. Comes with one black lens and one clear. It's light, has high projection, low profile, no fog, and I'm not sure but I think the lower and side parts are soft. They haven't shipped because of a foam problem so I can't tell you how it could end up. Bookworm v.1.5 found this from Empire's website: The Vents lens system is a very advanced and optically correct lens. Although at first glance it looks like a "flat lens," it actually changes in thickness to maintain the best optical quality possible. The power imbalance, which means how your eyes see for straight ahead, is 0.00 for both Spherical power imbalance and Astigmatic power imbalance (the value is so small it can’t be read with conventional testing equipment). What does this mean? It means what you are seeing is really where you think it is, so you can be more accurate in your shooting."

Profiler: V-Force is known for their outstanding optical clarity in their lenses. There's some sort of test used to measure clarity of camera lenses and the V-Force line (before the Profiler came out) measured at 91%. The Profilers use the same lens (which is really freakin' thick) as was used in this test. Even some professional camera lenses couldn't match that. The field of vision also extends really far.

Medium Budget:

Proto Switch F.S.: All around awesome mask. It's a bit on the heavy side but that is it's only shortcoming. Very good breathability and projection of voice. I have one and it has only fogged on me once after I removed the thermal pane. I've never played on a day more humid. With the thermal pane still in there (it comes with one) you will NEVER fog. This is coming from a guy who lives in the hell we call South Florida.

DYE Invision: Right now it's about $67 on Action Village and that's slightly under the price of a Profiler. Invisions are insanely light and extremely comfortable. Voice projection is great. Unfortunately it is reported to have one of the longest lens switching times in any mask system.

JT Flex 7 and 8: Light, comfortable, and around $50. I've tried on the Flex 7 once and was pretty satisfied. The lens isn't a quickchange but it takes less time with the Spectra lens then it does with the Invision. I did not like the Flex 8 as much. The foam was of mediocre quality and like most JT lenses, not very wide at all. The protection around the chin was lacking.

Low Budget:

Proto Switch E.L.: As you can see, I'm a big fan of the Proto line. Maybe it's just because I have one, but I've never been more satisfied with a mask. Slightly less coverage than the F.S. and doesn't come with a thermal lens. I'm not sure but I don't think the bottom section is soft like the F.S. but don't let that be a factor if you have a limited budget. Everything else is on par with F.S. version.

V-Force Shield and Morph: Great low cost masks. It uses the same lens as the Profiler so you know optical clarity will be good. I've seen a review where someone put one in a hot shower (on someone's face) and it still did not fog. I'm not sure but I believe the Morph has a soft lower section. The Shield is hard plastic and also comes with a hinged extension to go lower so that you can protect your upper neck as well.

Vents Cylus: Now, these masks haven’t come out yet so I've never been able to try them, but the entire Vents series looks promising. You can start at the lowest level mask and interchange parts all the way up to their best model, the E-Vent. They advertise breathability, voice projection, and no fog at all. These masks look really light so you might want to try them out. Having superb optical clarity is advertised.

Super Low Budget:

V-Force Vantage: This is one of those examples where you don't need to pay much to get good results. Though I don't like the lens (I've tried on the Armor which has the same type of lens) as much as I like their spherical kind, the features seem pretty good. To be honest I've never really held one of these in person but from the looks of it the front end is a combo of soft and hard materials to keep shape but deflect paint. These masks come with foam that is supposedly very comfortable. The rental version uses a rubber seal (much like a SCUBA mask only goes in instead of out) that folds inward to act as cushioning between the mask and your skin. Some say it's comfortable, I really don't know. It's to make it easier for field operators to clean the rentals.

Thanks NinjaoftheNight79 for the revision.
If anyone has experience with this mask PM me so I can update this section with more factual information.

If you don't have at least $40 to spend on a mask, save up. You don't want to buy a mask of low quality only to loose satisfaction the first time you use it. The low-budget masks I mentioned stood out above all others in the same categories and make excellent primary or loaner masks. Again, I strongly advise you to go to a pro shop or test other peoples' goggles before you buy.

benttwig33 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Whiner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benttwig33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2007 at 1:39am
i have the 04 invisions

asome, wide sight range, light comfy, and idk what made the pster think they are big.

Invisions are very small, offer awsome protection, but they re not big at all.

only ocmplaint is that they are an absolute paint to cleanand change the lens.
Sig is WAY too big.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic