Forum Home Forum Home > News And Views > Thoughts and Opinions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Starship Troopers: The Roughneck Chronicl

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Neither cool nor annoying

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .Ryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Starship Troopers: The Roughneck Chronicl
    Posted: 20 January 2007 at 12:29am
So yeah, I finally found a copy of these old CGI shows I used to see now and then on the SciFi channel on saturday mornings.

It's called "Starship Troopers: The Roughneck Chronicles". I just got done watch the first 5 episodes, which made up "The Pluto Campaign". Not bad, not as cool as I remember it, but not bad.

Sadly, it follows the movie a bit more than the book though. The bugs are the same as in the movie, not as Heinlein described them. The Power Armor is there, but not as kickass as from the book; it basically just a glorified space suit for most of the troops. No real use of jumpjets, except for the insertions(which are close to the book). The HUD is in this fold down visor and doesn't do all the things Heinlein described, nor is it operated in the same way. The weapons are close, but they still don't make sense because they are just normal rifles and launchers and whatnot, and they are always getting dropped; I would have attached them to the armor.  Rico looks Irish, instead of Brazilian. There is other stuff, but it's a lot closer to the book as a whole....Much better than the movie, even though it jumps right into the campaign with only flashbacks of the whole signing up and training part of the story.

Otherwise, the graphics aren't bad. The faces could have been done better, but otherwise everything looks pretty good. Let's not forget that this is a somewhat old series. The voice acting and dialog isn't bad either, but it gets kind of corny sometimes and the cliches tend to be a little overplayed. I've only watched the first campaign of the series, but the battles played out pretty well, even though they reused the "trooper down, go be a hero and help them" thing a little too much. Overall, on the non-Heinlein-geek front, petty good.

Over all, I'd give it a 3.5 out of 5, even though I haven't watched the whole series. It could be a little better done, and they could have darkened it up a bit(no one has died yet and the blood and gore is played down), but not bad. I would definitely check it out if you are into Heinlein and liked Starship Troopers, or if you're just a scifi fan looking for something that didn't get much publicity....

Either way, it gets my recommendation. Check it out.

blackdog144 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackdog144 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2007 at 1:50am
ive only seen the movie...thought it was just ok...

.Ryan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .Ryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2007 at 3:30am
The book is definitely worth reading.

prolitesniper View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Strike 2 - Language 5/20

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prolitesniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2007 at 4:41am
... no clue what your talking about
Tippmann A5
RT
16in J&J Ceramic
14in linear smartparts
New BT Apex Barrel
45ci 3000psi Nitro System
blade trigger
4+1pack
FlimFlam View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I hate to do this in public

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlimFlam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2007 at 7:34am
Originally posted by .Ryan .Ryan wrote:

The book is definitely worth reading.

oldsoldier View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Crazy old guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2007 at 8:24am
Loved the book, the movies were OK, 2nd one was a little disappointing, never seen the animnated series.
Also have the PC game, as well as the old Avalon Hill Board game Starship Troopers.
Frankly Mark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankly Mark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2007 at 10:38am
wait are you talking about the animated tv show? i use to love to watch that in the mornings before school started.
|soon to buy|
A-5 and Upgrades
.Ryan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .Ryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2007 at 2:49pm
Yeah, sorry, I should have said computer animated instead of CGI....

OS, which video game? I know there was an RTS a while back, which I would like to get my hands on, and an FPS more recently that looked like it sucked...

oldsoldier View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Crazy old guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2007 at 4:05pm
There was a Commadore 64 Starship Troopers, and I got the newer PC game from Destineer software. Good shooter, if you have a good computer there are literally thousands of bugs per encounter (if you don't do it right). Kinda mimics the 1st movie.

Still like the AH board game, and if I remmember somewhere in storage is a minatures game of ST, late 80's early 90's genre.
.Ryan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .Ryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2007 at 5:57pm
Oh, never knew there was one for the Commadore 64...Might have to check that out and try it on my grandpa's old one....

The RTS from, prolly, 1998 looked really cool....Can't find a copy anywhere though...

brihard View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Making stuff up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brihard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2007 at 5:17pm
This is rather timely... I was just rereading this for the umpteenth time this weekend on my leadership course. We had a lot of downtime, and I finished the book in under two days. One of my absolute favourite works of fiction.
"Abortion is not "choice" in America. It is forced and the democrats are behind it, with the goal of eugenics at its foundation."

-FreeEnterprise, 21 April 2011.

Yup, he actually said that.
.Ryan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .Ryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2007 at 6:46pm
Heh, I knew you'd find this....You should check out the roughneck chronicles if you get a chance....

brihard View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Making stuff up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brihard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2007 at 6:50pm
I've still got the whole series in some corner of my hard drive somewhere... That was a fun show.
"Abortion is not "choice" in America. It is forced and the democrats are behind it, with the goal of eugenics at its foundation."

-FreeEnterprise, 21 April 2011.

Yup, he actually said that.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic