Tippmann Paintball Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Paintball Equipment > Gun Maintenace and Repair
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

A-5 Cyclone Problem

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 5FingerDiscount Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A-5 Cyclone Problem
    Posted: 15 April 2007 at 5:36pm
Hi, I was really hoping that someone here could help me out!  I recently purchased a new A-5, with no mods on it at all. I haven't used it at all, due to this somewhat major problem. Basically, what happens, I load my hopper up for chrony in, and the first 10 shots, I was just shooting Co2, no paintballs... So i press the manual feed, and I'm able to shoot 2 more. then a couple shots of Co2 again... I dry fire it a couple times upside down, then fire again, this time I can fire about 10-15 paintballs then it goes back to Co2 again... I've been looking around for other posts... but no such luck. I read that the ratchet could be warn... but it isn't... and I was using a full tank of Co2. I have the cyclone updates too, i.e., clear ratchet, and "A" on my cyclone... I Live in Ontario, so I dunno how much it would be to send it in to Tippmann, or how long it will take so I was wondering if there was anything I could do that might solve this problem. I haven't called tippmann, or e-mailed them, but thats my next option.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks!!
bassist11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassist11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2007 at 9:11pm
i dont know much about A-5's but are there any screws that you can adjust to let more/less air into the cyclone feeder? it sounds like the cyclone might be starved of air to cycle it. you can call tippmann and ask them about it. they have some good customer service.
Black_Shadow View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Penguin-abuser from <heck> ...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black_Shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2007 at 1:37pm
sounds like your starving the cyclone. If you can't figure out how to adjust it yourself, Theres a Tippmann service center in Montreal, and i think theres another in Toronto too.

So sending it in would cost that much
98CP ACT
R/T
J&J Ceramic 14"
Egg II w Z-Board
GTA Inline X-Chamber
NCStar Red-Dot
Pen Spring Mod
Trigger Stops
Polished Internals
Dye Sticky Grip
20oz Co2 w On/Off

Next Up: Spimmy
5FingerDiscount View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 5FingerDiscount Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2007 at 1:53pm
Oh really? I didn't know that... I could try check them out... I just tried oiling it, and fired downwards and it works fine now... maybe just cuzz I fired downwards maybe? I dunno - I'll still try give Tippmann a call when I get a chance too - thanks a bunch tho - what would u suggest about getting more air in the cyclone? QEV maybe? I might pick up a vortex mod too...
roachkillahh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roachkillahh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2007 at 8:26pm
I too have a problem with my cyclone. its not feeding at all. I tried searching for the Tippmann Service in Toronto but no luck. Id like to bring my cyclone there and see whats up. Im also wondering if I can order a cyclone and how much would that cost?
--Red-- View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote --Red-- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2007 at 11:15am
they are about 50 bucks
TIPPY98ACT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TIPPY98ACT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2007 at 1:06am
First off, make sure the hose is straight from the fitting on the gun to the fitting on the Cyclone. If it is at a angle, it sometimes will do what you have described above and (starve) it. Next, in my opinion don't waste your money on a Q.E.V. Get THIS instead. It actually works. Also you can't go wrong with the Vortex or Lightning Rod modifications.

Edited by TIPPY98ACT - 21 April 2007 at 10:11am
98 A.C.T
J&J 12"
R/T
Revvy
Tapco Stock

A5
Lapco Bigshot and J&J 12"
E-Grip (A.P.E)
Vortex
Lightning Rod
Q.E.P.H
Richochet Hopper
GTA Double Trigger
Remote Line
Special Op's A5A2 Stock
QcXf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote QcXf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2007 at 2:53am
Check and see if the screws on the hoses are straight. As for roachkillahh it could be a worn ratchet. Call Tippmann they will send you a new one if it is.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 5FingerDiscount Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2007 at 11:12am
The hose was straight, would a larger hose do the trick? like  a 1/8" rather then the 1/16" hoses? I might actually look into that piston from Techt... I think its what $30.00?

Edited by 5FingerDiscount - 21 April 2007 at 11:12am
TIPPY98ACT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TIPPY98ACT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2007 at 11:34am
Some say The larger 1/8" hoses are better. Hence mod's like the super R/T. Which most people will swear by. I have never tried the larger hoses on either my Cyclone or R/T. So I am not very educated on this topic. I do agree you get more flow with the larger hoses, obviously. But, I also happen to believe the theory that the smaller the hose the more pressure inside. Thus providing more power. I could be wrong on this. But it makes sense to me. I think?

Edited by TIPPY98ACT - 21 April 2007 at 11:41am
98 A.C.T
J&J 12"
R/T
Revvy
Tapco Stock

A5
Lapco Bigshot and J&J 12"
E-Grip (A.P.E)
Vortex
Lightning Rod
Q.E.P.H
Richochet Hopper
GTA Double Trigger
Remote Line
Special Op's A5A2 Stock
prolitesniper View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Strike 2 - Language 5/20

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prolitesniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2007 at 5:16pm
... i have never heard of or had those problems ever, so my guess is that you air line hose maight be clogged thats my guess though

good luck
Tippmann A5
RT
16in J&J Ceramic
14in linear smartparts
New BT Apex Barrel
45ci 3000psi Nitro System
blade trigger
4+1pack
boy_fido View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boy_fido Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2007 at 3:43pm
My friend had the same issue. he changed the o-ring in the rear bolt and everything worked. don't know if that will help but maybe... good luck
Duck Blaster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duck Blaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2007 at 2:32pm

hey 5FingerDiscount did you ever get this cyclone issue resolved. I am having the same issue with my A5. it will dry fire then about every third time will fire a ball. It is very frustrating!

Please tell me what you did to fix.

fritobandito07 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fritobandito07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2007 at 12:04am
i have heard that when using an aftermarket cap on the rear bolt the spring doesnt push enough or something. so maybe try putting the original tippman rear cover on it. mine is doing the same thing, started after i painted it so im stripping it then gonna try to fix it
Zherdev View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zherdev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2007 at 7:00pm

I had the same problem (as I recently posted). I had bought my A-5 2 years ago and had worn it down since then. Once I got my R/T and Expansion chamber it finally killed the cyclone and it was too weak to even move paintballs. If your gun is recently new I wouldn't think that this would be a problem, but it might. If you could take it to a dealer and see if your ratchet needs replaced it might help. Although I am not a professional at fixing guns, this is what mine was doing. Hope you get it working!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 5FingerDiscount Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2007 at 8:05pm
Hey sorry guys! Yeah ok - so my cyclone is a fvckin headache... I replaced the stock ratchet with the TechT Vortex mod and got an enlarged hose (1/8") - and to my surprise it was working! Untill the fvckin piston broke... like literally snapped in the middle (?) so I picked up a Lightening Rod to fix that problem - and now its chopping paint... UGH!!!! Then it'll start to missfire - like shoot 1 ball every 2 or 3 shots... sometimes even more - I put the 1/16" hose back on - to see if that might fix it - but I'm thinkin about just saying fvck it a picking up an X-7 hopper from tippmannparts.com... I thought tippmanns were tanks!!! :(
mod98commando View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mod98commando Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2007 at 3:36am
Did you put a RVA on the gun? Post a list of all modifications to the gun as the problem may be with another component. I'm not sure how the piston snapped in half though, doesn't seem like that should be able to happen. The only way I can see that happening is if the piston moved forward to activate the cyclone and then got stuck on its way back, allowing the force of the ratchet to slowly bend and eventually break the piston. Even that sounds highly unlikely but I guess it's possible. Did you check the piston housing for debris and make sure the cyclone internals were properly lubricated?

Edited by mod98commando - 13 August 2007 at 3:38am
oreomann33: Everybody invades Poland

Rofl_Mao: And everyone eats turkey

Me: But only if they're hungary

Mack: Yeah but hungary people go russian through their food and end up with greece on everyth
bmcblkknight View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmcblkknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2007 at 1:06pm
I have having a similar issue  - A-5 (about 3 years old) LPK, Palmers stab, RT, HPA. I just seems that every third shot the Cyclone is not getting the air to load and in cold weather is the trigger just hammers like it will when you out of air....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 5FingerDiscount Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2007 at 2:50pm
Originally posted by mod98commando mod98commando wrote:

Did you put a RVA on the gun? Post a list of all modifications to the gun as the problem may be with another component. I'm not sure how the piston snapped in half though, doesn't seem like that should be able to happen. The only way I can see that happening is if the piston moved forward to activate the cyclone and then got stuck on its way back, allowing the force of the ratchet to slowly bend and eventually break the piston. Even that sounds highly unlikely but I guess it's possible. Did you check the piston housing for debris and make sure the cyclone internals were properly lubricated?

I have no idea what an RVA is... but I'm gunna say no? The only performance upgrades (apart from a barrel) I put on the gun are the Vortex Mod and Lightening Rod... I did check the housing and it was pretty clean - I lubed the **edited** out of the vortex... using Jigga lub (Lithium Based Grease) to grease it up - and it pumps fine - what might have happened is that I might not have lubed the part where the piston pivots on the ratchet properly, so it might have had too much friction maybe? I dunno... it happened and I don't understand why... But the misfiring doesn't make any sense to me... Someone told me that my cyclone might have a timing issue or it over spins... but I didn't know it was that frequent of a problem... But either way... I think I should invest in an X-7 Cyclone - I think they're 30 american?

mod98commando View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mod98commando Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2007 at 2:14am
Well, the overtraveling issue was supposed to be fixed with the second cyclone update a few years back. The first update was a better ratchet and the second was a new bottom plate that prevented the problem you mentioned. If you have an "A" stamped on your bottom plate then it is the updated version. Since you have a new one, it should already have this. Have you tried hooking up a HPA tank to the gun? Sometimes CO2 just causes some weird things to happen. I wouldn't buy the X7 cyclone. At this point, you'd be better off getting the QEPH instead. Also, I remember hearing that overtightening the screw that holds the sprocket in place can cause problems. Try loosening that and then screwing it back in just until it's firm. Same goes for the screws that hold the bottom plate on. Screw them in so that they will stay on but not super tight. Also, an RVA is a rear velocity adjuster. It basically changes the amount of pressure that the drive spring puts on the rear bolt which will affect a lot of things.
oreomann33: Everybody invades Poland

Rofl_Mao: And everyone eats turkey

Me: But only if they're hungary

Mack: Yeah but hungary people go russian through their food and end up with greece on everyth
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic