Forum Home Forum Home > News And Views > Thoughts and Opinions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Balisong Knives

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
b-YOU-ick. Was that so hard?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Balisong Knives
    Posted: 02 May 2007 at 5:43pm

Or the "Butterfly" knife. I'm a big fan of these knives, and not for their "punk" value. A well built one (as in a Benchmade or a Cold-Steel) is extremely well balanced, strong and comfortable. It's a shame the gangsters and punks have given a bad name to these knives.

But what I want to know are the laws limiting these things. I know there are cops here or law-savvy people, and they may be able to help me out. I have thumbed through the Switchblade act of 1956, limiting the use of automatic knives and knives operated by inertia (the butterfly), and this in technicality makes the butterfly illegal. But I don't know if there are any recent acts that affect knives.

Also, what kind of punishment can you get in if you are caught with one?

Edited by DeTrevni - 02 May 2007 at 5:58pm
Evil Elvis: "Detrevni is definally like a hillbilly hippy from hell"

WGP guy2 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I play the Bag Pipes

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WGP guy2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2007 at 5:47pm
Buy one made before 1956?
Tae Kwon Do View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Best Forumer of the Year 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tae Kwon Do Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2007 at 5:47pm
I always see them for sale at flea markets and pawn-shops. Neither of which are very good places to judge something on its legality. I never knew inertia was a limiting factor.

I know that blade length is a limiting factor, and most all butterflies I see are much longer in length.

I really have never seen the point in them personally, other than to show off and impress your friends.

usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2007 at 5:54pm
I have one, but I bought it in Myrtle Beach, SC, which doesn't say a whole lot about whether it's legal or not...  
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
High Voltage View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Fire in the disco

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High Voltage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2007 at 5:54pm
I'd cut a finger off trying to become quick and flashy at opening them..
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2007 at 5:56pm

Originally posted by Tae Kwon Do Tae Kwon Do wrote:

I always see them for sale at flea markets and pawn-shops. Neither of which are very good places to judge something on its legality. I never knew inertia was a limiting factor.

I know that blade length is a limiting factor, and most all butterflies I see are much longer in length.

I really have never seen the point in them personally, other than to show off and impress your friends.

Well, speed wise, they are kind of useless. Most liner-locks with a thumb stud can be opened faster. But they do have their uses, from a self-defense perspective. A properly balanced one is great for throwing, and when closed and locked they can be used for non-lethal impact defense. And before someone jumps down my throat for saying any of that, yes I am aware of the limiting factors of each of those applications.

Also, they are a performance art. There are actually Balisong competitions. Plus, they are fun. Like juggling, but more dangerous. I have yet to cut myself with one. In practice, your skin shouldn't even contact the sharp side of the blade.

Originally posted by WGP guy2 WGP guy2 wrote:

Buy one made before 1956?

Don't think it works like that...

Edited by DeTrevni - 02 May 2007 at 5:58pm

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tae Kwon Do Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2007 at 5:59pm
Originally posted by DeTrevni DeTrevni wrote:

Also, they are a performance art. There are actually Balisong competitions. Plus, they are fun. Like juggling, but more dangerous.

Like I said, that is about the only real use for them I see. Looking cool. showing off, etc.

If you are looking for a knife for either self defense or utility use, a simple folder will work 100x better.

Edited by Tae Kwon Do - 02 May 2007 at 6:00pm

procarbinefreak View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Budget Medical Procedures Available

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote procarbinefreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2007 at 6:01pm
my cousin has a few... and if you hold them right the chances of you cutting your fingers is pretty slim.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tae Kwon Do Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2007 at 6:01pm

But they do have their uses, from a self-defense perspective. A properly balanced one is great for throwing,

Careful. We are starting to border internet-badassery here.

DeTrevni View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2007 at 6:06pm
Originally posted by Tae Kwon Do Tae Kwon Do wrote:

But they do have their uses, from a self-defense perspective. A properly balanced one is great for throwing,

Careful. We are starting to border internet-badassery here.

Hey, I said they were great for throwing. I never said I was good at it!

High Voltage View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Fire in the disco

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High Voltage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2007 at 6:09pm
Scant traces of e-penis showing..
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2007 at 6:23pm

But ignoring motives, anyone know what can happen if you are carrying one?

Edited by DeTrevni - 02 May 2007 at 6:24pm

Dune View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
<placeholder>

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2007 at 6:25pm

I prefer this.

DeTrevni View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2007 at 6:26pm
Hey, you're a cop. If you caught someone with a butterfly, not threateningly, but just had one, what would the consequences be?

Dune View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
<placeholder>

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2007 at 6:27pm
How long is the blade?
Da Hui View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Guested, 9/13 Inappropiate post content

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Da Hui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2007 at 6:29pm

What do you mean by "punks"?

Also be careful, your e-penis's tip is showing from the bottom of them shorts you got on.

636andy636. View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Guested 10/24/07: Inappropriate Word Use

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 636andy636. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2007 at 6:29pm
Originally posted by Dune Dune wrote:

I prefer this.

I found an extendable baton on the street. It was bent in half.

Word to the wise, Never use a knife for self defense unless your trained in knife fighting. If not you have a high chance of getting stabbed by your own knife
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/anthonymartinez/402cdjo-1.gif">
Dune View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
<placeholder>

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2007 at 6:31pm
Look up the specific laws for your state, they vary. Not only that, but many laws for states are very unclear about butterfly knives specifically. Texas for instance, includes gravity knives, but dances around the subject of butterfly knives.
Dune View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
<placeholder>

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2007 at 6:34pm

I actually prefer this over the baton. If you find one of these in the street, even if bent, call someone quick.

Edited by Dune - 02 May 2007 at 6:35pm
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2007 at 6:34pm

I am Texan, but don't know exactly where to look.

As for the e-penis stuff, you guys should know by now that I've always been modest here.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic