Forum Home Forum Home > News And Views > Thoughts and Opinions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Balisong Knives

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Gold Member
Gold Member
Guested - Implosion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Razgriz Ghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2007 at 9:14pm
lol, I got it for a good price too. only 50 bucks, those things are usually expensive ass.
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
b-YOU-ick. Was that so hard?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2007 at 9:17pm

Psh. Threadjacked.

Evil Elvis: "Detrevni is definally like a hillbilly hippy from hell"

Kayback View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2007 at 8:49am
The butterfly knife is cute, but ultimately pointless.

As a previous poster said, any decent thumb opening knife will easily surpass it in speed. Especially if you forgo the whole thumb opening and just "flick" the knife open.

Most well working knives, from Spyderco, through CRKT, Cold steel, you name it, you can flick them open with a rapid wrist action. WHat helps is 90% of the time, it's using the same grip you'd use when drawing a pocket clip knife out of your pocket anyway. The only knives I've had any trouble with as the Byrd made knives.

To get it to work you simply grasp the knife blade down, rotate your wrist so the blade moves towards the floor in a "snapping" action, reverse the direction and "snap" again in that direction, open knife in less than 1/10th of a second.

If you've got a thumb stud knife like a CRKT or Gerber, and not a thumb hole knife like a Spyderco or Byrd, you can simply put the pad of your thumb on the stud and flick your thumb up. Again, knife blade snaps open in less time than it takes to wave your Butterfly around.

The less flashy your knife draw, the quicker into action you can be. This is why I prefer fixed bladed knives.

Dune, That an issue batton or a private one? We're issued the old PR-24 style batton. wich has it's uses, but takes up too much damn space on the belt. We are allowed to replace it with an ASP batton if we can afford it.

I've seen a couple of belt battons, and that sucks balls when you've had to shell out to pay for it privately.

Same question about that '23. Yours or department issue?

KBK

Edited by Kayback - 03 May 2007 at 8:52am
jerseypaint View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerseypaint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2007 at 9:45am
Pepperspray and a whistle. Its all I need.
Dune View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
<placeholder>

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2007 at 10:10am
Both. I have my personal one that is 18''; however, most departments around here, in fact almost all, have switched to 21'' ASP batons.
Clark Kent View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2007 at 10:50am

Originally posted by Kayback Kayback wrote:

As a previous poster said, any decent thumb opening knife will easily surpass it in speed. Especially if you forgo the whole thumb opening and just "flick" the knife open.

To get it to work you simply grasp the knife blade down, rotate your wrist so the blade moves towards the floor in a "snapping" action, reverse the direction and "snap" again in that direction, open knife in less than 1/10th of a second.

Or better yet, get an assisted-opening knife.  Easiest of all.

stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2007 at 10:57am

You can buy butterfly knives, but you can't carry them, at least here in Texas. So if you just want a knife for kicks, you can buy them if you look around, you just can't carry it around with you. Which is fine, since A:) butterfly knives suck as self defense knives, unless you've mastered them to an art and B:) around here anyway, you don't want to pull something like that out around the wrong people.

Cold steel makes a beautiful butterfly knife, you can check it out here. Prices vary, but it runs about $150.

As for the punishment, it's unlawful carry, so I guess alot of it would depend on what you were doing when they caught you.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2007 at 11:04am
Originally posted by stratoaxe stratoaxe wrote:

A:) butterfly knives suck as self defense knives, unless you've mastered them to an art and B:) around here anyway, you don't want to pull something like that out around the wrong people.

And C:) you would look like a total dork carrying one around.  Talk about stuck in the 70s.

Kayback View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2007 at 11:11am
CK, that also depends. I've heard some fellow officers regard assisted opening as "flick" or mechanical knives.

So just be careful with any sort of spring loaded knife.

As I said, I prefer fixed blades.

KBK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2007 at 11:12am

I'm confused - what are they concerned about with the assisted opening?

(And I certainly agree that a fixed blade is the best knife, but that can be problematic for casual carrying...)

Kayback View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2007 at 11:16am
Dune, yeah, if we provide our own batton it has to be the 21" one as well.

Pity 'cos I've got one of their nifty 18's at home.

KBK
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2007 at 11:21am

You have to be careful with assisted opening-I believe it depends on if they're operated by spring or "intertia bar", as knife making companies like to call it. The law, at least here in Texas, forbids the carry of spring operated knives, which are classified with switchblades.

If it's operated by spring, it's illegal. Even with the non-spring operated knives, officeres around here have been taking notice here lately.

Evil Elvis View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Crusher of Dreams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evil Elvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2007 at 12:26pm
Here is a link to some state laws according knives.

knive laws

In my state anything over an inch and a half or any mechanically assisted knife can land you fron two and a half to five years in the state pen.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2007 at 1:22pm
Originally posted by DeTrevni DeTrevni wrote:

Whoa...

This is not a guy you'd expect to ninja you when you try to mug him. be really cool to do that stuff. I can only flick it open...

Chicks dig guys with skills.

adamallen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adamallen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2012 at 8:19pm
From what I've read, they are illegal to carry in Texas but not illegal to collect
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2012 at 8:42pm
I saw Clark Kent and got excited...then realized this was a necro thread. Thanks for bashing my hopes and dreams possible spam bot.
BARREL BREAK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Official Jackbooted Thug Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BARREL BREAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2012 at 9:35pm
Originally posted by adamallen adamallen wrote:

From what I've read, they are illegal to carry in Texas but not illegal to collect
Thanks.
Ace_Of_Spades View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Guested, Doesnt follow Rules. 9/10/08

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ace_Of_Spades Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2012 at 3:42am
I use a SOG Pentagon Elite I. Smoothest and quietest knife I have ever used. It's got a shark Tooth tip which is surprisingly handy and I pretty much sharpen it any time there is downtime on the ship because I use it so much. It's got a 3.75in. Blade and the people in my shop have given it the nickname "Mr. Stabby"

Kayback View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2012 at 4:22am
That's pretty cool. Have not heard of the shark's tooth point. I'm interested because I've broken a couple of points and NOT from trying to use them as a pry tool or screw driver.

KBK
Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo. H = 2
Ace_Of_Spades View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Guested, Doesnt follow Rules. 9/10/08

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ace_Of_Spades Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2012 at 4:45am
All it is is a sharpened portion about a quarter to a half inch's length from the tip on the reverse side. I have yet to have any sizable chips on either side of the blade or the point and I've used that knife ALOT to get paint off  the mechanical parts on hatches and scuttles.

The crew before us in the hull swap pretty much just said eff it and painted EVERYTHING... needless to say we have been scraping paint like maniacs because NSURV is right around the corner.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic