Tippmann Paintball Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Paintball Equipment > Gun Maintenace and Repair
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

98 Custom valve disassemble!?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DugOut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 98 Custom valve disassemble!?
    Posted: 03 June 2007 at 12:48pm
I plan on taking my valve apart on an old 98 custom and replace some of the internals myself. (just to knowledge myself).

I understand its not recommended to disassemble the valve yourself but I replaced the internal valve o-rings in my 68carbine and had no trouble other than the tricky valve snap ring, I did it enough times that it isnt a problem now either.

Question is; The valve in the 98 custom, is it made any different than the carbine valve: For this reason it is not recommended? or is it a scare tactic in buying a whole new valve.?   

I"m sure some of you have done it already and can share some do and donts!

If it couldnt be done, they wouldnt sale replacement parts.
SSOK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2007 at 3:23pm

I think the valve is similar if not the same. I believe all Tippmann valves are CVX valves.

Im not enitrely sure though. I dont have a 68 Carbine :P

Nagash1959 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nagash1959 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2007 at 4:23pm

They tell you not to do it because if you goof it up your gun might decide to go ka-blewie, or more likely start hosing co2 out as soon as you gas up. That valve needs to be in proper working order not just for the gun to function but to be safe at all.

That being said you can take the value apart and put it back together with ease if your careful. Model98.org had a good article about taking your valve apart (and modding it, but I don't recommend that)

98 Custom
Cyclone
Double E-Trigger
Polished Internals
Freak kit
X-chamber
CP Drop w/On/Off
DugOut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DugOut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2007 at 6:36pm
Oh, So it is able to be done but without the mods. I wasnt planning on modding it anyways. Just rebuilding it to new. I just get my rocks off on doing things that the manufacture says not to. I have a steady hand and eye to breaking down and rebuilding things so I guess I'll give it a try.

I still find it hard to beleave that no one has ever attempted it! Unless ashamed to admit it.
Bruce A. Frank View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
KRL Reincarnated?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce A. Frank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2007 at 7:33pm

Dougout,

Go take a look at this:

Sticky Topic Marker Trouble? Read Maintenance Archive

My post is about number 16 and has a step by step with pictures on how to take the valve body apart. It is not difficult and you are not going to blow up your marker by doing the job yourself.

DugOut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DugOut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2007 at 7:47pm
Thanks Bruce, I'll swap on over and check out your info!
I honestly never checked this area out due to being afraid that it was just a argumentive place where everyone gave thier 2cent theory of why someone else should have or have not did something. Thanks for leading me to see the light.
DugOut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DugOut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2007 at 7:56pm
Great write up and pictures Bruce, This valve set-up doesnt look any different than the carbine valve. This should be a cat walk. Good Job!
Bruce A. Frank View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
KRL Reincarnated?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce A. Frank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2007 at 7:57pm
If you just went to it, you might look again because I just, in the last minute or two, added an edit note.
bdnld4482 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bdnld4482 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2010 at 11:58pm
hey guys, im new on the forum and im about ready to buy a 98 c with a bad valve. is it possable to just rebuild it. What im reading  here  that it is , i just need  a member to clear it up for me. basicly replace all orings  and give er a good cleaning? the guy said he used too much co2, what ever that means( didnt oil it)?  lil help

Thanks D
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic