Forum Home Forum Home > News And Views > Upcoming Events
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Invasion of Normandy 2007

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
i wish my title was "different"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lester98c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2007 at 2:08pm
a lot of bad things are being said to have happened at the event.

The reball part is true though as many people were hit with them and the guns were chrono'd past 350.
PB_dad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PB_dad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2007 at 4:53pm

I was at the ION event this weekend.  It was only my 2nd time paintballing.  My teenage son got me into it and asked that I take him to this one.  I had an excellent time there.  We were Germans (not by choice).  Now I know why the woman on the announcement was mentioning the marbles.  it didnt make sense at the time.  I know I was nailed on Sat night around 9pm in the back and still have the circular marks to prrove it.  Either the person who tagged me was shooting higher than 280 or maybe it was the marble guy.   who knows but I agree with some of you that people on both sides were shooting much higher than 280.  ALl around this was a great expierence and I look forward to next years event.  

question: what is a reball ???  Im new to all this terminology.  Also, does anyone know aof a site that people post pics from this event that we can look at and I also heard that they were making a dvd of the event.  how do we purchase  a copy ??

PaintballkidEPS View Drop Down

Strike 2 - F-Bomb in Avatar (08/21)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaintballkidEPS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2007 at 7:55pm

^^A reball is a type of paintball specified for indoor use, basically a re-usable paintball, they hurt alot more than normal paintballs. For pics, you can just search around, i have a few pics of me and some friends but not actual pics of random things. You can purchase a copy of the DVD directly from skirmish, check on www.skirmish.com at the bottom it says 'scenario and big games' click that and check, or you can call skirmish at 1-800-skirmish and ask for a copy to purchase

NotDaveEllis View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NotDaveEllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2007 at 12:25am
Originally posted by PaintballkidEPS PaintballkidEPS wrote:

^^You were in the PB nation tent?. I was the kid wearing the suit on saturday, on sunday i just had my dress pants, shirt and tie. I got a hit on the privates that welted nice but there is something i need to say about the germans and their fps, there was no way that you were all shooting 280, i couldn't even reach the german lines and then they were zipping past my head, no possible way it was 280, and apparently they cought a few germans using reball's? One guy also got arrested saturday night for shooting marbles. It's people like this who make it less fun to play.

I was in the PBNation tent, I saw a group of kids wearing suits so I probably saw you. I think there was some nasty stuff going on with both sides, its impossible to ref everybody. The marble and reball stuff disgusts me personally there were alot of families out there and its just repulsive to think that people would do that. I agree totally, it sucks to think those people were my "team mates."

But I had tons of fun, did you by chance see our group pb dad, there was a PBN logo on the front of the black jerseys, and a german eagle with the german flag colors in it, we also had a tent off the main road.

lester98c View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lester98c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2007 at 1:22am
Originally posted by NotDaveEllis NotDaveEllis wrote:

^^You were in the PB nation tent?. I was the kid wearing the suit on saturday, on sunday i just had my dress pants, shirt and tie. I got a hit on the privates that welted nice but there is something i need to say about the germans and their fps, there was no way that you were all shooting 280, i couldn't even reach the german lines and then they were zipping past my head, no possible way it was 280, and apparently they cought a few germans using reball's? One guy also got arrested saturday night for shooting marbles. It's people like this who make it less fun to play.

I was in the PBNation tent, I saw a group of kids wearing suits so I probably saw you. I think there was some nasty stuff going on with both sides, its impossible to ref everybody. The marble and reball stuff disgusts me personally there were alot of families out there and its just repulsive to think that people would do that. I agree totally, it sucks to think those people were my "team mates."

But I had tons of fun, did you by chance see our group pb dad, there was a PBN logo on the front of the black jerseys, and a german eagle with the german flag colors in it, we also had a tent off the main road.

I was walking up the road and saw the tent and laughed at where they put you guys.  I was playing with my orange NXT with black jt pants and a red invert jersey.

I had a pretty good weekend, i fired the second shot, (i was in the New Jersey/bus before the invasion) and was the second guy to make the woods from Omaha beach.

mod98commando View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mod98commando Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2007 at 1:38am

.... I was the kid wearing the suit on saturday, on sunday i just had my dress pants, shirt and tie.

I walked off the field next to somebody wearing a vest and dress pants at one point, lol. I can't remember which day it was though.

I got a hit on the privates that welted nice but there is something i need to say about the germans and their fps, there was no way that you were all shooting 280, i couldn't even reach the german lines and then they were zipping past my head, no possible way it was 280, and apparently they cought a few germans using reball's? One guy also got arrested saturday night for shooting marbles. It's people like this who make it less fun to play.

I know exactly what you're talking about there. Were you in that big firefight near the german insertion point on sunday? I think I may have been hit by some of those reballs because I got nailed in the top of the head and my arms by something that felt like a rock. Usually you can see the paintball hit or even see it coming at that distance but this thing came so fast I saw nothing and felt quite a bit. For anything to hit like that at the distance it came from, it had to be going absurdly fast. I made it known to the ref that was standing there and he eventually got a chrono out there to check some people because it was ridiculous and many people knew as well as I did that it was dangerous. Even people with an apex or flatline couldn't get the kind of range that those guys were getting and that's saying something. I'm actually going to write skirmish an email about it requesting very severe punishments next year for repeatedly shooting well over the chrono limit and especially for the reball/marble crap. I can't even begin to tell you how much that bothers me.

Aside from that, I had a pretty good time despite missing the first hour or so of the game. I always look forward to the beach invasion but I was a little behind schedule in the morning and my friend needed to stop at the tippmann tent so we could get a drop-forward on his A5 (didn't have the tools I needed). Once that was all taken care of, the beach invasion had just ended and the fighting was in the woods but it was still pretty friggin intense so it didn't bother me that much. I was also testing out my APE board for the first time so that made up for it a little . I got to take part in a few missions and some enormous firefights so I was pretty happy. I probably should have used the flatline though since all the noobs take the good cover at the front and I get stuck in the middle or back shooting past them until they get the balls to do something.

I'll have to work like an animal so I can afford to go next year since my car is begging for some upgrades and these games aren't cheap either. I probably spent $400-500 this weekend including the goodies I bought from the vendors. I saw an 88/4500 going for $155 and I just couldn't pass that up since my 68/4500 has seen better days. I also grabbed a J&J ceramic for my 98 so I can use my M16 barrel shroud again without that terrible barrel that came with it, that was only $25, yet another good deal. Replaced my gloves for $10 as well since they like to make my hands black and slimy for a day after I use them. God I love the vendors at skirmish games.

Oh, anybody going to that game in september? Some guy was handing out those fliers for a game called "Paint the World 1944" or something like that. Sounds like it might be an interesting game.
oreomann33: Everybody invades Poland

Rofl_Mao: And everyone eats turkey

Me: But only if they're hungary

Mack: Yeah but hungary people go russian through their food and end up with greece on everyth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaintballkidEPS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2007 at 9:32am

Yeah Mod, i was in the big firefight at the end, right where that german guy got hurt right?

If you think you saw me, here's my pics

I looked like this on saturday, sunday i took off the jacket and looked like this

just in case you think it was me =)

NotDaveEllis View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NotDaveEllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2007 at 5:26pm
Originally posted by lester98c lester98c wrote:

was walking up the road and saw the tent and laughed at where they put you guys. I was playing with my orange NXT with black jt pants and a red invert jersey.I had a pretty good weekend, i fired the second shot, (i was in the New Jersey/bus before the invasion) and was the second guy to make the woods from Omaha beach.

We didn't really mind being back there, last year we had a lot of people passing through our tent, which gets annoying and the tendency for people to yank items grows.

Not to mention we were closer than alot of people.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mod98commando Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2007 at 12:18am
Ah, I guess it wasn't you then. The person I saw had some kind of vest on. That first pic is pretty sweet though, looks like they caught some paint splatter in the shot. I didn't get to the beach in time for the last fight but some of my friends saw the guy pwn himself and told me about it. Lol, some people need to calm down out there before they kill themselves. There was a fight earlier in the day just past the beach that was probably almost as big as the final one, that was absolutely crazy. That's where I noticed people shooting far beyond the limit. I had just reached the edge of the beach when they ended the game. I was walking back up after my 4-man group got spanked by about 30-40 french guys. Things got so confusing that day in terms of which side the french were on. Then there's Tyrell who were supposed to be allied with us but took me and my friend out anyway. Man did that ever suck.

Mack: Yeah but hungary people go russian through their food and end up with greece on everyth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaintballkidEPS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2007 at 8:09am
yeah Mod, i had my tac vest on, you can't see it really in the pics
PB_dad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PB_dad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2007 at 2:05pm

Originally posted by NotDaveEllis NotDaveEllis wrote:

To be honest with you. Since this was my very first tournament event, it was like being a kid at a carnival.  I have no other events to compare it to so I would not personally know if this was better or worse than others.  My only complaints are the wiping or just not leaving when hit scenarios.  Lack or refrees.  I would not know how many is needed but knew what was there seemed sparse.  the Co2 fills and that long walk in the heat. 

We were camped right by the German insertion point in the corner also near the chrono station.  I saw alot of teams.  got goosebumps watching some of you go into the game like a bunch of Rambo's.  At 38 I felt like a teenager till my body said Whoa by Sat night.  despite the constant water supply I drank.  I didnt particapate on Sunday for that fact and wanting to pack up the camp site and let my teenage son blow the remainder box of paint by himself. 

I had such a great time I look forward to next year and me, my son  and his friends want to be Germans again.  I had so much fun, I'll look into the October event (Battle for Berlin).

Edited by PB_dad - 18 July 2007 at 2:07pm
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mod98commando Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2007 at 10:50pm
Originally posted by PB_dad PB_dad wrote:

My only complaints are the wiping or just not leaving when hit scenarios.  Lack or refrees.  I would not know how many is needed but knew what was there seemed sparse....

I'll second that. I nailed a guy pretty clearly at one point and he just refused to leave. I can understand not feeling a hit but this was like right in the gut and I yelled to him to make sure he knew but he still stayed and kept trying to hit me. Sadly, I ran out of paint so I couldn't enforce the "out or ouch" rule. I also agree that they could use some more refs, especially ones with chronos. It's understandable that they can't be everywhere but it did seem like there weren't many of them even at the enormous fights towards the front of the field.

EDIT: I sent skirmish an email about the weak enforcement of the rules and suggested that they set things up more like NJ 'Nam was. They give you a card and every time you broke the rules you got a punch. When you got 3 punches, you were done for the weekend. It sounds harsh but honestly, if you play honestly then you don't have to worry about a thing. I also suggested having player refs since I think it is a very good way of keeping people in line if implemented correctly. I mentioned the reballs/marbles/frozen paint stuff and the fact that people were shooting way too fast as well. Hopefully I worded it well enough that they'll actually consider my suggestions and make a significant improvement. Honestly, if they just cracked down on all the punks who are cheating then they'd have some truly excellent games.

Edited by mod98commando - 18 July 2007 at 11:02pm

lester98c View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lester98c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2007 at 12:01am
someone i know had an under cover ref card and was able to catch a kid in uncapped ramp firing at 370,  after telling him to leave the kid he was refusing.  skirmish needs to improve a lot.

If you bought the dvd make sure you watch the bonus features, it will include a full vid taken in the New Jersey and you should laugh at us pretty hard.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mod98commando Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2007 at 9:14pm
I did buy it so I'll look for that when I get it. I really hope it's better than the DVD's from the past, friggin thing cost $30. Anyway, I got a response from them already:

Originally posted by Skirmish Skirmish wrote:

Thanks for the suggestions.  We were marking wristbands on offenders that we found shooting hot and the second time offenders were asked to leave the fields.  On the serious stuff like re-ball - they were gone immediately.  The only problem is it's tough finding them.  We do use and had some undercover judges but the firefights were so large and intense it was hard for them to do their job. We know now that we need more and experienced judges.  The problem is where do we find them?

Thanks,

Paul Fogal, owner
Skirmish USA
Skirmish.com

I guess, to their credit, they are making an attempt but they still need some improvement. I think I may try to set something up with them so I get to be a player ref next time. I wouldn't be able to do anything about the other team but I could at least watch over my teammates. As long as they put something on the ID to show that I do have some authority then it should be a little easier to convince people to listen. I may even try to think up a whole system for dealing with those people if I have the time. I don't even care too much about getting credit for it, I just want to see the rules followed so nobody catches a reball to the face or something. Let's hope they are serious about making a change.

PB_dad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PB_dad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2007 at 10:39am

my response/suggestion to Skirmish would be to advertise for ref's the moment you announce an event.  maybe ask individuals to voluteer for X amount of hours and give them free admission to the event itself. 

its good to hear they had some sort of system and tried but I guess they see it now that it wasnt enough.

lester98c View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lester98c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2007 at 12:02pm
Originally posted by mod98commando mod98commando wrote:

I did buy it so I'll look for that when I get it. I really hope it's better than the DVD's from the past, friggin thing cost $30. Anyway, I got a response from them already:

Originally posted by Skirmish Skirmish wrote:

Thanks for the suggestions.  We were marking wristbands on offenders that we found shooting hot and the second time offenders were asked to leave the fields.  On the serious stuff like re-ball - they were gone immediately.  The only problem is it's tough finding them.  We do use and had some undercover judges but the firefights were so large and intense it was hard for them to do their job. We know now that we need more and experienced judges.  The problem is where do we find them?

Thanks,

Paul Fogal, owner
Skirmish USA
Skirmish.com

I guess, to their credit, they are making an attempt but they still need some improvement. I think I may try to set something up with them so I get to be a player ref next time. I wouldn't be able to do anything about the other team but I could at least watch over my teammates. As long as they put something on the ID to show that I do have some authority then it should be a little easier to convince people to listen. I may even try to think up a whole system for dealing with those people if I have the time. I don't even care too much about getting credit for it, I just want to see the rules followed so nobody catches a reball to the face or something. Let's hope they are serious about making a change.

you are given a special tag.  But it is pretty hard to get one. Only people i know that have them are ex employees and 2 guys that were on my skirmish sponsored team.  Im hoping to get one next year also and i'll bring my own hand chrono if needed. 

Maybe ill bring a big mallet and go The Whiteboard style.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mod98commando Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2007 at 9:31pm
Originally posted by PB_dad PB_dad wrote:

my response/suggestion to Skirmish would be to advertise for ref's the moment you announce an event.  maybe ask individuals to voluteer for X amount of hours and give them free admission to the event itself...

Not sure if they'd go for the free admission thing but I like the idea. Of course, they'd need some way of screening the people to find those who would make good refs instead of punks who just want free stuff. Maybe they could set it up like a job application since that's basically what it is. It'd still be hard to find good people for the job but eventually they'll find some good ones that they can stick with. I'll send them the idea and see what they say about it.

SSOK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2007 at 12:41pm

I would love to be an undercover ref. Free entry (Or at least something) and authority! Who won btw?

Hey lester, can you get me a spot as an undercover ref?

lester98c View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lester98c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2007 at 10:38pm
Originally posted by SSOK SSOK wrote:

I would love to be an undercover ref. Free entry (Or at least something) and authority! Who won btw?

No.
SSOK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2007 at 12:01pm
Originally posted by lester98c lester98c wrote:

Originally posted by SSOK SSOK wrote:

No.

I was kidding. Anyway, like I said earlier, who won?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic