Tippmann Paintball Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Tippmann Paintball > Paintball Ideas / News From Tippmann
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

My .50 cal sniper setup

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tripwire98c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My .50 cal sniper setup
    Posted: 16 June 2007 at 9:05am
This is a question that mabyee some of you gearheads might help me with. I decided to fore go the $200+ dollar route to a .50 cal sniper setup and make my own. It has all gone well untill the stock. problem is how would i make a good, proper endcap cheaply. To have it made at a pro machine shop costs $100.00, im not screwing the stock end cap to the stock, and im trying to avoid buying a stock online, forsaking that $50.00 expense. Anyone done this b4. Suggestions.
"Hey You, Dont tell me there's no hope at all. Together we stand, Divided we Fall"
Pink Floyd
"Hey You"

Honor A Vet.
Become a Volunteer bugler at www.buglesacrossamreica.org
carl_the_sniper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - 7/29, Bad Linky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carl_the_sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2007 at 11:14am
I think I know what you're talking about but... pics anyways?
<just say no to unnecessarily sexualized sigs>
tripwire98c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tripwire98c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2007 at 11:57am
I'll have some pics soon,its not totally finished but the basic thing is that i need to manufacture an endcap to put into the stock i spent six hours making. im trying wood, but i doubt it will hold up past the first few shots, but i'll just have to see.
"Hey You, Dont tell me there's no hope at all. Together we stand, Divided we Fall"
Pink Floyd
"Hey You"

Honor A Vet.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carl_the_sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2007 at 12:25am
No I mean, pics as to what you mean by the endcap.
xXK1CK1NVV1NGXx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 2, 7/17 - quote offensive post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xXK1CK1NVV1NGXx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2007 at 1:11am
You know the end cap the plastic one at the end of the marker so the bolt
doesn't come flying at your face.
<Sig violation, Section 1>
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carl_the_sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2007 at 2:20am
That's not what it's for but yes.

Why not take the ends off the stock end cap and attach them to your stock?
Lightningbolt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
PHAT and PLAT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightningbolt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2007 at 12:56pm
what gun is this for?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tripwire98c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2007 at 1:27pm
Its a tippmann 98 custom. The problem is i have a gun and a wooden stock. attaching the stock marker endcap to the wooden stock is a bad idea because it leaves me with no support. rembember the endcap is plastic. the first solution is to make one out of 1 1/8 dowel but that leaves the problem of the fact that it is wood and may not stand up well to the hammering of the bolt. The metal option isn't cost effective ($100.00 for two caps) and i dont like most of the selections of manufactured stocks. There is just something about making your own mods.    

I'm gonna try the wood solution first. if that fails, i might have to buy a stock.
Pink Floyd
"Hey You"

Honor A Vet.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
PHAT and PLAT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightningbolt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2007 at 1:33pm
Can't you attach it to the stock cap?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tripwire98c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2007 at 1:37pm
Now let me explain the project.
I have a Tippmann 98 Custom. My main function when i play is as a sniper. The gun is set up with a double trigger, tippmann expansion chamber, and a 20 inch Smart Parts Progressive. This is a pretty good sniper setup. The only thing i don't like is using the CO2 tank as a stock. As a deer and turkey hunter i perfer a true stock. So I spent a weekend making one. Sanding an sawing and shaping untill i liked it. The next thing i built was a foregrip for the barrel. Again, hours of sanding, shaping and even chissling the barrel slot. Since the Expansion chamber won't allow for an OPSGEAR .50 cal mag to be installed, i also made one of those that came awfuly close to the real size (my uncle owns TWO Barrett Light Fiftys, ahich i just recently got to hold, after i made the clip. He even gave me a spent casing and extracted bullet for reference.) The hand grip was a test peice and im making a bigger one, and the clip is ready for final detailing and paint. my olny problem now is attaching the stock. When i finish and add a tube hopper and red dot sight, it will be a sweet setup for approx $30.00 in materials and 24 hours total of work. Sure beats $200.00 for an opsgear setup and is the way I want it to be. Will have pics when finished. Ideas welcome for help.
Thanks
Pink Floyd
"Hey You"

Honor A Vet.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tripwire98c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2007 at 1:41pm
Sure but it will be a weak setup likley to come unglued at the worst moment in a bad way.

"Spring severs corroted artery and i lay bleeding to death on the field of battle."

Pink Floyd
"Hey You"

Honor A Vet.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
PHAT and PLAT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightningbolt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2007 at 1:44pm
attach it with a screw or bolt system

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tripwire98c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2007 at 1:50pm
well i think right now my best bet might lay in the dowell solution, mixet with a little engunity. I reinforce the dowell with sheet metal rings. That would work. Plus i've had another idea that forgoed the endcap completly. but i need to think on it for some time. Thanks
Pink Floyd
"Hey You"

Honor A Vet.
michaela2z View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michaela2z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2007 at 5:45am
Why instead of mounting the stock to the end cap try mounting it to the gun itself. There are 2 bolts that are at the back of the gun that you could make a bracket for to attach your stock to? I aint done it or anything its just a thought?
Well...Putfile deleted all my pictures so I don't have a signature atm!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tripwire98c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2007 at 12:29pm
Originally posted by michaela2z michaela2z wrote:

Why instead of mounting the stock to the end cap try mounting it to the gun itself. There are 2 bolts that are at the back of the gun that you could make a bracket for to attach your stock to? I aint done it or anything its just a thought?

You're darn brilliant. I did'nt actually think of that one. I'mm gonna go get some sheet metal soon and do this.
Pink Floyd
"Hey You"

Honor A Vet.
SSOK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2007 at 11:31am

Originally posted by tripwire98c tripwire98c wrote:

You're darn brilliant. I did'nt actually think of that one. I'mm gonna go get some sheet metal soon and do this.

I know Engler does that with many of his Tippmanns. Have you seen his stocks or Tacamos stocks?

Btw, not to burst your bubble, but 20'' barrels dont shoot any farther than 12'' or 14'' barrels

Nagash1959 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nagash1959 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2007 at 6:18pm

I'm fairly sure that is how all the stocks for the A-5 are made. I don't see why they couldn't do the same for the 98C's. Just sell the stocks with longer bolts and that should do it.

98 Custom
Cyclone
Double E-Trigger
Polished Internals
Freak kit
X-chamber
CP Drop w/On/Off
Ticalxx421 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
guested. Doesn’t learn.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ticalxx421 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2007 at 5:35am
Originally posted by tripwire98c tripwire98c wrote:

i play is as a sniper.

shhh they will kill you for using that word. Try opportunist/camper and they might let you off with just a warning
[IMG]http://i14.tinypic.com/73e0l8j.jpg">
     Represent!
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
PHAT and PLAT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightningbolt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2007 at 7:11am

^Players can call themselves whatever they want.  There are alot of players out there that play scenario and do role play and enjoy different aspects of the game.  To each his own.

DeTrevni View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
b-YOU-ick. Was that so hard?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2007 at 6:43pm

Okay. Here we go. Now, I should inform you, and please read and think about what I have to say (as I'll probably be one of the nicer ones to say it), that "sniping" in paintball is not a valid role. In fact, it could hurt your team greatly.

Here's why.

• To be an effective sniper, you need to be able to accurately pick off high-value targets (HVTs) beyond the effective range of cover fire. Paintball guns, no matter the barrel length, shoot the same distance (excluding the Flatline/Apex) so there goes that.
  • What about accuracy? Accuracy is not in the barrel, though it does help. It's paint to barrel match, and having a longer barrel can be problematic. For standard markers with a poppet valve, longer barrels actually decrease efficiency. You don't need anything longer than 14", and everything past that in no way helps your gain.
  • The Flatline or Apex cannot be used to snipe because at the ranges they can achieve, accuracy is deminished, reducing your chances of getting out of there in one piece by taking out your target in one shot.
  • What about the "definition?" You know, the one that says sniping is just hiding and shooting people from a concealed location? Well, I'd like to point out that this is what EVERY woodsballer should be trying to do. This is not truely sniping.
  • But SpecOps says...: Hate to break it to ya, but they are a company. They are trying to make money. They created many of these positions to sell more gear, not to be your friend. That definately doesn't mean all the positions they created are bad. It's just one can't really snipe.
  • What about being silent and sneaking up on people? At the ranges paintball is played, no person, even with an illegal silencer on his marker, can be quiet enough to be that sneaky all the time in paintball. Sure, you can get lucky, but probably not all the time.

Now how is being a sniper bad for your team? It takes you out of the game. If you are camping in a spot, you are essentially hoping someone will walk by. This is a LOT LESS effective than hunting for your enemy and supporting your team, and decreases the likeliness of you getting an elimination (not kill...).

Also, I'd like to point out, even if you could effectively snipe in paintball, your .50 cal idea would be overly bulky, making it even more inefficient.

Evil Elvis: "Detrevni is definally like a hillbilly hippy from hell"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic