Tippmann Paintball Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Paintball Equipment > Upgrades and Customizing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Model 98 valve vs. 98 Custom valve

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LoneRanger93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Model 98 valve vs. 98 Custom valve
    Posted: 16 June 2007 at 9:06pm

I've been beating up my model 98 since I bought it in 1999. I recently picked up a used 98 custom off a kid who got tired of it. I'm parting it out and want the vertical adapter off the custom, should I just swap out the power tubes or put the vertical adapter on my power tube?

Just curious if there is any advantage to the power tubes on the 98 customs compared to the model 98, they look the exact same to me

Model 98
Double Trigger
Flatline
Drop Forward
Smart Parts Grip
paintballer40 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paintballer40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2007 at 9:38pm
they are the same i striped out the valve bolts and i used a 98 custom valve. i would just put the vertical adaptor on your model 98 powertube, the other thing is i would keep the custom you are not going to get that much for the parts and either switch the parts on the model to the custom. but if you still want to part out the custom i would keep the power tube and valve because when i replaced mine the valve was like 35bucks, the valve screws striped out(either i overtightend them or i had my velocity set to high)
MODEL 98

Collapsible Stock
Polished Internals
14" Feather Carbon Barrel
98C Modified Double Trigger
LoneRanger93 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LoneRanger93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2007 at 10:13pm

I was thinking it'd be easier just to swap out the power tubes rather then breaking off the hose on the 98 custom tube to put onto mine?

I kinda like keeping the model 98 shell I think it looks cooler than the 98 customs anyway

Model 98
Double Trigger
Flatline
Drop Forward
Smart Parts Grip

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paintballer40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2007 at 11:04am
yeah i guess it will not be hard either way just dont overtighten the valve bolts!
MODEL 98

Collapsible Stock
Polished Internals

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LoneRanger93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2007 at 6:52pm
Funny, the 98 custom power tube body is plastic and the one on the model 98 is aluminum
Model 98
Double Trigger
Flatline
Drop Forward
Smart Parts Grip
Bruce A. Frank View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
KRL Reincarnated?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce A. Frank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2007 at 11:42am

Originally posted by LoneRanger93 LoneRanger93 wrote:

Funny, the 98 custom power tube body is plastic and the one on the model 98 is aluminum

Then it is not the original part.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paintballer40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2007 at 5:59pm

it is not stock then i have a model 98 and the stock power tube is the same as the custom just like bruce said

Edited by paintballer40 - 18 June 2007 at 6:00pm
MODEL 98

Collapsible Stock
Polished Internals
tripwire98c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tripwire98c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2007 at 6:23pm
Cant use the vertical adaptor in a model 98 i think. use the 98 custom frame
"Hey You, Dont tell me there's no hope at all. Together we stand, Divided we Fall"
Pink Floyd
"Hey You"

Honor A Vet.
Become a Volunteer bugler at www.buglesacrossamreica.org

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paintballer40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2007 at 6:53pm

Originally posted by tripwire98c tripwire98c wrote:

yes you can

MODEL 98

Collapsible Stock
Polished Internals

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LoneRanger93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2007 at 6:58pm

Originally posted by tripwire98c tripwire98c wrote:

That's funny cuz I just did

Model 98
Double Trigger
Flatline
Drop Forward
Smart Parts Grip

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LoneRanger93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2007 at 7:00pm
Originally posted by Bruce A. Frank Bruce A. Frank wrote:

Then it is not the original part.

Interesting, I also noticed the 98 custom power tube had a sort of alignment peg sticking out of it, just grinded it off with a wheel but found out the kid who used to have it stripped the threads off in the power tube, found that out after i went thru all this trouble of course!

I should get a pic of the power tube incase one of you guys might know where it came from and if it's worth anything since it's not original

Model 98
Double Trigger
Flatline
Drop Forward
Smart Parts Grip
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
KRL Reincarnated?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce A. Frank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2007 at 12:51am
Originally posted by LoneRanger93 
<P>Interesting, I also noticed the 98 custom power tube had a sort of alignment peg sticking out of it, just grinded it off with a wheel... [/QUOTE LoneRanger93

Interesting, I also noticed the 98 custom power tube had a sort of alignment peg sticking out of it, just grinded it off with a wheel... [/QUOTE wrote:

Alignment peg? Uh, that wouldn't have happened to be the boss into which to screw the fitting for the Cyclone? Did your marker have the hole in the

Alignment peg? Uh, that wouldn't have happened to be the boss into which to screw the fitting for the Cyclone? Did your marker have the hole in the right side of the shell into which that fit?

Since two screws hold the valve/tube in place, there isn't a need for an "alignment peg" and there isn't one.

Edited by Bruce A. Frank - 19 June 2007 at 12:53am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LoneRanger93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2007 at 7:16am

^ I noticed on the 98 custom that there was a hole on the right shell in which a peg that stuck out of the valve no more than a 1/8" and 1/8" diameter or so, fit into exactly where the valve should be

It was just a solid peg, no threads or anything unusal so I doubt it was a fitting for the cyclone

But my model 98 didn't have that little hole on the lower right side of the valve that's why I shaved it off so it could fit into the model 98

Model 98
Double Trigger
Flatline
Drop Forward
Smart Parts Grip
mod98commando View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mod98commando Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2007 at 3:16pm
Originally posted by Bruce A. Frank Bruce A. Frank wrote:

Since two screws hold the valve/tube in place, there isn't a need for an "alignment peg" and there isn't one.

Do you own a 98c (not model 98)? You're right that it doesn't need an alignment peg but you couldn't possibly argue that it doesn't have one anyway, mine certainly does.
oreomann33: Everybody invades Poland

Rofl_Mao: And everyone eats turkey

Me: But only if they're hungary

Mack: Yeah but hungary people go russian through their food and end up with greece on everyth
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
KRL Reincarnated?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce A. Frank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2007 at 9:41pm
Yes, it is solid. If you need the connection, you drill and tap it for the fitting to screw in to it.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic