Forum Home Forum Home > Tippmann Paintball > New Player Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Newbies guide to HPA/Nitro/Compressed air

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Newbies guide to HPA/Nitro/Compressed air
    Posted: 08 July 2007 at 6:54pm

Well, I have seen a good number of questions about this subject, so ill sum it up.

HPA stands for High Pressure Air. If you have no idea what the heck that means, it litterally means a high pressure airtank.

Now, HPA/Compressed Air Tanks/"Nitro Tanks" are all filled with compressed air, not CO2 or "stuff that can get you high" as that is a myth. Its filled with, air. What you're breathing right now unless you're a fish. HPA tanks are also called Nitrogen or "Nitro" tanks, because air is mostly nitrogen.

HPA tanks are not like CO2 tanks, they have two bottle pressures, 3000, and 4500 psi (pounds per square inch), and rarely 5000psi. HPA bottles also are not sized by just pressure, but cubic inches as well. They are commonly available in 47 ci, 68 ci (Most common), 72 ci, 88 ci, and 92 ci. There are other sizes as well, for example I have a 50 ci WGP tank.

HPA tanks also have two output pressures. Low, and high. If you have any Tippmann, Spyder, Brass Eagle, Viewloader, US-5 etc. you need a high output tank, unless you have a low pressure kit. Low Pressure guns run off of Low Pressure tanks, not CO2 like high pressure tanks. When a HPR or High pressure reg is used it brings

Originally posted by hybrid sniper hybrid sniper wrote:

down any tank output pressure (HP or LP) to the operating pressure of the gun. Very few "LP" guns run on straight tank pressure. For example, a DM4 may have an operating pressure of 200 psi, but the tank is outputting 850. The HPR (in this case, a Hyper2 if the DM is stock) will regulate that 850 down to 200. Most HPRs can handle HP input, but post iR3 Angels with stock HPRs need LP to work without any manipulation. Some of the Angel HPRs work ok with HP, but most will not allow the user to chrono under 300 fps or set their LPR correctly. Check the specs of the gun before you buy it and see what the operating pressure is. If it's say 225 (and it's not a stock A4/Fly/Speed/G7/A1) you can run either HP or LP.
 Some examples of low pressure guns are: Ions, Shockers, any DM or Proto, Angels etc. Basically, any high end speedball marker. There is not a MAJOR difference between LP and HP markers, but low pressure operation results in a quieter marker, more efficency, and better accuracy.

What is the advantage of HPA over CO2? HPA is much more regulated, resulting in more consistancy. What the heck is that? Your velocity and shots are more consistant, which makes it a heck of a lot more accurate. Also, your tank just runs out, your shots do not begin to drop down like when you're running out of CO2. The final (and my favorite) benefit of HPA is it is not affected by cold like CO2. Which means your shots are all good, and Response Triggers work well. For those of you with electronic markers, HPA is a must. CO2 will destroy a solenoid if rapid firing, and can destroy all regs execpt for a Palmers Stabilizer. Regular 98 Customs, X7's, and A5's with electronics all will be fine with CO2, but HPA is still reccomended. Also, liquid CO2 can eat O-Rings.

Finally, HPA tanks are made out of a couple different materals. The cheapest is aluminium which is heavy as heck, and fiber wrapped. Fiber wrapped is a thin aluminum shell that is well, fiber wrapped. Fiber wrapped tanks are the lightest tanks, and hold just as much and often more than aluminum tanks. There is also carbon fiber wrapped tanks, which are similar to regular fiber wrapped tanks.

The only downside to HPA tanks is they need to be Hydro-Tested every five years or so. Testing costs about $30 dollars, and if your tank fails, you're out of a tank. Most paintball shops will not fill an out of date tank.

If you have any questions, feel free to drop me a message or just post below.

Edited by SSOK - 11 July 2007 at 11:48am
RoboCop View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Aw man, my butt is rusted...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoboCop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2007 at 6:57pm
HPA means High Pressure Air, not apparatus.
SSOK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2007 at 6:58pm

Originally posted by RoboCop RoboCop wrote:

HPA means High Pressure Air, not apparatus.

I have no idea why I put that.

hybrid-sniper View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

I feel violated.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hybrid-sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2007 at 11:21pm

Quote Low Pressure guns can only run off of Low Pressure tanks, not CO2 like high pressure tanks. Some examples of low pressure guns are: Ions, Shockers, any DM or Proto, Angels etc. Basically, any high end speedball marker. There is not a MAJOR difference between LP and HP markers, but low pressure operation results in a quieter marker, more efficency, and better accuracy.

What in the hell is all this crap... Only write an FAQ if you actually know what you're talking about.

Ever heard of an HPR? They bring down any tank output pressure (HP or LP) to the operating pressure of the gun. Very few "LP" guns run on straight tank pressure. For example, a DM4 may have an operating pressure of 200 psi, but the tank is outputting 850. The HPR (in this case, a Hyper2 if the DM is stock) will regulate that 850 down to 200. Most HPRs can handle HP input, but post iR3 Angels with stock HPRs need LP to work without any manipulation. Some of the Angel HPRs work ok with HP, but most will not allow the user to chrono under 300 fps or set their LPR correctly. Check the specs of the gun before you buy it and see what the operating pressure is. If it's say 225 (and it's not a stock A4/Fly/Speed/G7/A1) you can run either HP or LP.

LP is not necessarily more efficient, nor is it necessarily more quiet, and it's not more accurate than HP.

Also - There is a difference between carbon fiber wrapped tanks and fibergalss wrapped tanks. CF tanks are always* 5 year bottles, and are lighter and more expensive than FG bottles. FG bottles are usually 3 year bottles.

Adjustable tanks exist, too.

new 2006 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote new 2006 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2007 at 11:58am

I recently was in a proshop and asked about the lower end Autococker markers, the Trilogy SF pro, to be specific.  The sales person indicated that I could use my hpa tanks on the trilogy line, they have a high pressure reg. even thought they are a low pressure marker.  I do not know about the higher end markers.  I had always figured I would have to buy LP tanks if I were to add to my collection, it seems it depends alot on the marker setup

The question that came to mind later this week end was, if the paintball tanks work like other pressure tanks?, in that when they get below the regulator pressure they are still usable on a low pressure marker until completely out or below the marker pressure thresh-hold.

In other words, the tank will still release pressure until empty, 0 psi?

A5 on HPA
12" Lapco Bigshot & AutoSpirit (SS)
12" J&J ceramic
Freak Jr kit 14"
98 Custom on CO2
Tippmann x-kit
2x trigger
12" J&J ceramic
F1 Chrony
RoboCop View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoboCop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2007 at 12:25pm
Tanks will allow you to keep shooting to as low as the gun can go. Only some higher-end guns will not handle high pressure output tanks. For example, the Angel 1 cannot handle high pressure. The stock reg is really good, but you have to have a low pressure output tank. Atleast now, you can buy a CP adapter for regs with the same color(anno) as on the gun.
Sgt_Hoot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt_Hoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2007 at 1:40pm
Originally posted by SSOK SSOK wrote:

Also, your tank just runs out, your shots do not begin to drop down like when you're running out of CO2. The

I hate when that starts happening you can shoot at tree 5ft away no bust i should switch to Air instead of CO2
A-5 Response
20 oz tank
Flatline barrel
4x100 round pods
Assault vest
SSOK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2007 at 5:32pm
Originally posted by hybrid-sniper hybrid-sniper wrote:

Quote Low Pressure guns can only run off of Low Pressure tanks, not CO2 like high pressure tanks. Some examples of low pressure guns are: Ions, Shockers, any DM or Proto, Angels etc. Basically, any high end speedball marker. There is not a MAJOR difference between LP and HP markers, but low pressure operation results in a quieter marker, more efficency, and better accuracy.

What in the hell is all this crap... Only write an FAQ if you actually know what you're talking about.

Ever heard of an HPR? They bring down any tank output pressure (HP or LP) to the operating pressure of the gun. Very few "LP" guns run on straight tank pressure. For example, a DM4 may have an operating pressure of 200 psi, but the tank is outputting 850. The HPR (in this case, a Hyper2 if the DM is stock) will regulate that 850 down to 200. Most HPRs can handle HP input, but post iR3 Angels with stock HPRs need LP to work without any manipulation. Some of the Angel HPRs work ok with HP, but most will not allow the user to chrono under 300 fps or set their LPR correctly. Check the specs of the gun before you buy it and see what the operating pressure is. If it's say 225 (and it's not a stock A4/Fly/Speed/G7/A1) you can run either HP or LP.

LP is not necessarily more efficient, nor is it necessarily more quiet, and it's not more accurate than HP.

Also - There is a difference between carbon fiber wrapped tanks and fibergalss wrapped tanks. CF tanks are always* 5 year bottles, and are lighter and more expensive than FG bottles. FG bottles are usually 3 year bottles.

Well, I dont see you helping anyone.

And, I know what the hell a reg is, thank you. Do you think anyone who has no idea about HPA is using a DM? Also, I believe (but my be incorrect) that there are no CF 4500's. At least what I have seen

RoboCop View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoboCop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2007 at 6:20pm

This thread was meant to be a good one, but turned ugly.

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

I feel violated.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hybrid-sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2007 at 7:17pm

Well, I dont see you helping anyone.

And, I know what the hell a reg is, thank you. Do you think anyone who has no idea about HPA is using a DM? Also, I believe (but my be incorrect) that there are no CF 4500's. At least what I have seen

If I'm going to try, I'm going to do it right.

http://www.punisherspb.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=PE-68/ 4500-CARB - Carbon Fiber 68/4500

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007CM29I/ref=olp_product_ details/002-5150251-2431207?ie=UTF8&seller  - Fiberglass 68/4500

As for the DM thing, all I was doing was saying that you don't need an LP tank to run an "LP" gun like a DM, because the HPR will do all the work.

MetalMilitia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MetalMilitia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2007 at 3:58am
I'm looking to upgrade my A-5 from Co2 to HPA. I also want to get a drop forward with the new tank. I'm still consider myself a noob when it comes to modifying my gun, but would this be a pretty simple task? I know i'll have to replace my stock gas line with macro line; is that easily done?
RoboCop View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoboCop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2007 at 8:08am
Originally posted by MetalMilitia MetalMilitia wrote:

I'm looking to upgrade my A-5 from Co2 to HPA. I also want to get a drop forward with the new tank. I'm still consider myself a noob when it comes to modifying my gun, but would this be a pretty simple task? I know i'll have to replace my stock gas line with macro line; is that easily done?
Depending on the size of the drop, you won't need a new hose line. Just put on the drop and HPA then your good to go. Make sure you either get a drop made for the A5 or get an adapter for the drop.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MetalMilitia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2007 at 3:31pm
I was looking at getting the dead on bullet (5.5" forward 2.5 down) with the dead on adapter. Do you think that I'll be able to use my stock line? (I wish I had a paintball store closer than 100 miles away ><)

If I do end up having to get a new line, would I be better off going with steel braided or macro?

Edited by MetalMilitia - 10 July 2007 at 5:10pm
SSOK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2007 at 6:40pm

[

Then go for it, write your own FAQ.

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

I feel violated.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hybrid-sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2007 at 6:44pm

[

If. If. If I were to do it, I would not waste my time by getting things wrong. What you're trying to do is like what the American Idol contestants try to do to Simon when he tells them they can't sing: "Well I'll bet you can't sing, so what gives you the right to trash on me?"

Well, sweetheart, I'm not the one making the FAQ. You are. I am not forbidden to criticize it if it is wrong. In this case, blatantly wrong.

SSOK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2007 at 7:09pm

[

If. If. If I were to do it, I would not waste my time by getting things wrong. What you're trying to do is like what the American Idol contestants try to do to Simon when he tells them they can't sing: "Well I'll bet you can't sing, so what gives you the right to trash on me?"

Well, sweetheart, I'm not the one making the FAQ. You are. I am not forbidden to criticize it if it is wrong. In this case, blatantly wrong.

Well, honey, I'm not on American Idol, and you're not Simon. See, this is not a contest to get your attention. This entire thread is not about you, nor is it directed tword you. Sure, you have the right to post whatever you may feel like, weather it may be critisizing me, or accually helping new players, (OMG! What a novel idea!) which I am doing.

Now, mind you, my original post is not 100% correct, it has errors. But, is anything perfect? Sure, I have a few minor things incorrect, but it is nothing earth shattering. Its aimed at new players, not someone with a brand new CF 4500 and a DM.

Skillet42565 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1: Taunting Mods on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skillet42565 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2007 at 7:11pm
SSOK, hybrid is right, that thing is full of holes.
SSOK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2007 at 7:16pm

Originally posted by Skillet42565 Skillet42565 wrote:

SSOK, hybrid is right, that thing is full of holes.

Then tell me what to do, and I will fix it.

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

I feel violated.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hybrid-sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2007 at 7:49pm

[

Well, honey, I'm not on American Idol, and you're not Simon. See, this is not a contest to get your attention. This entire thread is not about you, nor is it directed tword you. Sure, you have the right to post whatever you may feel like, weather it may be critisizing me, or accually helping new players, (OMG! What a novel idea!) which I am doing.

Now, mind you, my original post is not 100% correct, it has errors. But, is anything perfect? Sure, I have a few minor things incorrect, but it is nothing earth shattering. Its aimed at new players, not someone with a brand new CF 4500 and a DM.

You act like I have never helped anyone before. That's all I ever did before I got sick of all the duplicate questions.

Wrong is wrong. your whole deal about LP tanks and LP guns is misleading at best, and is not a minor error. Integrate (or paraphrase; that would be better) what I said in my first post into that segment, and the whole FAQ will begin to hold water.

Edited by hybrid-sniper - 10 July 2007 at 7:49pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MetalMilitia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2007 at 9:34pm
Ok guys...I think I am looking at getting a crossfire 68/4500 tank with dead on bullet dropforward (the 5.5"/2.5" one). Does this sound like an adequate combo?

Since I have no practical choice but to order online I've got a few questions.

Will the drop forward replace my stock barrel adapter, or will I mount the barrel adapter onto the drop forward? (I don't see how the latter is possible...unless I use a drop forward adapter for both the grip and the tank adapter...?)

Will the drop forward come with all the necessary screws and such?

If I need a new hose, will macro line fit into the same fittings as the stock steel braided hose?

I'm sure i'll be able to think of a few more later. I've been using Co2 forever and I dont want to screw up the transition.

Edited by MetalMilitia - 10 July 2007 at 9:35pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic