Forum Home Forum Home > News And Views > Thoughts and Opinions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

OMG CCW!!11

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8910
Author
Gold Member
Gold Member
Shot at Love Contestant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2007 at 10:28pm

Originally posted by Mack Mack wrote:

Originally posted by Susan Storm Susan Storm wrote:

What I meant was that firearms alone are "instant death". . .

Not necessarily.  Any weapon that is concealed has this potential.  An individual with any concealed weapon that has also masked their intentions to perform violent deeds can easily achieve the "instant death" factor.

You are still taking too tactical of an interpretation.  My point has nothing to do with how fast you can kill with one weapon or the other.

I am addressing the situations where weapons are out.  Look at it from a LEO perspective, for instance.  Say you have drawn down on an arrestee who is wielding a knife, but who is 25 feet away from anybody, and is not moving towards anybody.  The cops will not shoot under this circumstance, because they know that they will have some warning before he becomes deadly.  If he starts to move towards somebody they may shoot, but not before.

If he has a gun pointed at somebody, however, it is drop the gun or the cops open fire.

It has nothing to do with the effectiveness of the weapon, but its capability of causing death without warning at any range under any circumstances.  There is no "safe" gun.  Once the gun is out, every situation is potentially deadly.

"No society can surely be flourishing and happy, of which the far greater part of the members are poor and miserable."
Ben Dover II View Drop Down
Strike 1 - language

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ben Dover II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2007 at 11:34pm
We get it, you have a gun.
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
b-YOU-ick. Was that so hard?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2007 at 12:03am
You killed it. You took it out back, shot it in the foot, and tried to throw it in the lake to drown, but it died of blood loss instead. It's dead.
Evil Elvis: "Detrevni is definally like a hillbilly hippy from hell"

Bunkered View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
What AM I smoking?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bunkered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2007 at 1:32am

Originally posted by Mack Mack wrote:

What I meant was that firearms alone are "instant death". . .
Not necessarily.  Any weapon that is concealed has this potential.  An individual with any concealed weapon that has also masked their intentions to perform violent deeds can easily achieve the "instant death" factor.

You are still taking too tactical of an interpretation.  My point has nothing to do with how fast you can kill with one weapon or the other.

I am addressing the situations where weapons are out.  Look at it from a LEO perspective, for instance.  Say you have drawn down on an arrestee who is wielding a knife, but who is 25 feet away from anybody, and is not moving towards anybody.  The cops will not shoot under this circumstance, because they know that they will have some warning before he becomes deadly.  If he starts to move towards somebody they may shoot, but not before.

If he has a gun pointed at somebody, however, it is drop the gun or the cops open fire.

It has nothing to do with the effectiveness of the weapon, but its capability of causing death without warning at any range under any circumstances.  There is no "safe" gun.  Once the gun is out, every situation is potentially deadly.

A cop isn't just going to shoot you for having a gun in your hand either. If you start to point it at them, that's when you get shot. They'll offer you an opportunity to put it down first (unless they get too trigger-happy, which has happened in the past).

Oh, btw... 25 feet with my Buck knife isn't a safe distance. It's not very hard to throw if you've done it before.
Bunkered View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
What AM I smoking?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bunkered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2007 at 1:45am
Originally posted by Dune Dune wrote:

Originally posted by Nuclear Nuclear wrote:

Originally posted by stratoaxe stratoaxe wrote:

Originally posted by carl_the_sniper carl_the_sniper wrote:

Ok, I've never had any problem with the ccw in comparison to not having a ccw. I noticed that this arguement has changed direction drastically. My origional point was that in Canada, I have no reason to carry a handgun on me and that makes me happy.

lol...it's a little offtrack. To your original point-I feel no less safe without a handgun. It's a right that I defend, but one that I'll rarely excercise. There is little reason to carry a handgun on you in most places (read:most).

when your in downtown Detroit, you want a gun.Same goes for up north and such, personally i wouldn't carry everyday all overt with me, only if i planned to go somewhere, i don't think its really smart to ALWAYS carry.

I've been all through Detroit, and no...I don't feel like I need a gun, because I don't let overgeneralizations scare me.

Really now? Because I used to live in Detroit, and there are some places in Detroit that if you're not afraid to be out at night there's something wrong with you. The 6 Mile and Livernois area is a pretty decent example. Not all of Detroit is the ghetto...

When I turn 21 I will get my CCW. And I will carry.
Why? Am I likely to need it?
No. But it's my right, and one that I support. That, and I don't want to be kicking myself in the ass one day wishing I had a gun when some dude tries to jack me with a knife, or even unarmed. I wouldn't hesitate to pull it out on a guy who had no weapon in his hand but was behaving threateningly/intimidatingly.

For me, the question isn't "Why have a gun on you," it's "Why not have a gun on you?"
I guess the Boy Scouts motto of "Always be prepared" just doesn't stick for some people.

Edited by Bunkered - 10 September 2007 at 1:46am
carl_the_sniper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - 7/29, Bad Linky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carl_the_sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2007 at 11:17am
Originally posted by DeTrevni DeTrevni wrote:

You killed it. You took it out back, shot it in the foot, and tried to throw it in the lake to drown, but it died of blood loss instead. It's dead.
Unless...
<just say no to unnecessarily sexualized sigs>
Da Hui View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Guested, 9/13 Inappropiate post content

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Da Hui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2007 at 11:33am
Originally posted by carl_the_sniper carl_the_sniper wrote:

Originally posted by DeTrevni DeTrevni wrote:

Unless...
ZOMG ZOMBIES!!!
Man Bites Dog View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
The forumer formely known as TKD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man Bites Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2007 at 1:13pm
So, so much e-penis in this thread. 
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2007 at 1:31pm

Originally posted by Man Bites Dog Man Bites Dog wrote:

So, so much e-penis in this thread. 

It's funny, everyone mentioning Detroit, I had to crank up Amityville.

"This ain't Detroit, it's <> Hamburger Hill"

Edited by stratoaxe - 10 September 2007 at 1:32pm
Bunkered View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
What AM I smoking?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bunkered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2007 at 11:02pm
I think it's funny that everyone's mentioning Detroit too. I find that its dangers are overexaggerated by a lot of people, but that's if you stay in the main part of town. If you get down to the "bad areas," just stopping at a red light can be mildly threatening.
There are quite a few places where even the cops don't like to go. And if an armed police officer who can call for backup doesn't like the area, you can bet your ass I'd feel more comfortable packing. I'd still rather avoid those spots, even with a gun actually.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8910
  Share Topic