Forum Home Forum Home > News And Views > Thoughts and Opinions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

OMG CCW!!11

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2007 at 11:35am
Originally posted by carl_the_sniper carl_the_sniper wrote:

Originally posted by Reb Cpl Reb Cpl wrote:

Originally posted by Sammy Sammy wrote:

I'm happy to live in a country where I don't need to carry a gun on me...

I am happy to live in a country that fully supports my right to carry a gun if I choose to.
My point exactly.

huh?

My point was that I'm happy that I live in a country that doesn't allow everyone to carry a concealed gun.

Yes, because laws against handguns are always obeyed by criminals and anyone who wanted to carry one for nefarious purposes would most certainly decide not to do so once they realized that they couldn't do it legally.

carl_the_sniper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - 7/29, Bad Linky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carl_the_sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2007 at 11:43am
Originally posted by Mack Mack wrote:

I am happy to live in a country that fully supports my right to carry a gun if I choose to.
My point exactly.

huh?

My point was that I'm happy that I live in a country that doesn't allow everyone to carry a concealed gun.

Yes, because laws against handguns are always obeyed by criminals and anyone who wanted to carry one for nefarious purposes would most certainly decide not to do so once they realized that they couldn't do it legally.

Ok... so why does your country have an exponentially greater number of murders per capita?

Edited by carl_the_sniper - 06 September 2007 at 11:44am
<just say no to unnecessarily sexualized sigs>
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2007 at 11:48am

I think I sort of see his point...I emphasize the sort of part...

Carrying a handgun is a valid right, IMO, with a proper license, but at the same time in a situation where you're on the street and someone makes an attempt on your life, odds are you won't have time or reflexes to use it. Defending yourself with a handgun does require a little bit of timing to work properly.

I really just want the gun to keep in my truck, namely because I travel alot. It's just good to have a little protection with you. However, with a law they passed last week (I'm way too lazy to look it up right now), in certain wording your vehicle is made an extension of your house. An officer was telling me that by that reasoning, technically you really don't have to have a CHL to carry a handgun in your car/truck, as long as you're of legal age to own it. I'm not going to take that chance, and besides as I said it helps me skip the background check when buying a gun.

stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2007 at 11:49am

My point exactly.

huh?

Ok... so why does your country have an exponentially greater number of murders per capita?

Yeah, because all murders are committed with a handgun.

Edited by stratoaxe - 06 September 2007 at 11:49am
Benjichang View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
I pwned Leroy Jenkins!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benjichang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2007 at 12:02pm
CCW debate. Ready. Go. Seemingly more prevalent than religious and abortion debates, but equally filled with lulz.

irc.esper.net
#paintball
CarbineKid View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CarbineKid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2007 at 12:16pm
Congrats on picking a great weapon. I would have grabbed the Sig myself, but Sigs are not lefty friendly..so I overpaid for a HK. The Sig Pro series is IMHO just about the best there is when it comes to polymer guns.   The recol is good, fit and finish are excellent. Its reliable and easy to field strip.
Just make sure you grab plenty of ammo and extra mags(before the 08 elections!!). I shop(via the net) at MidwayUSA.com, or CDNN investments. Both stores have great prices, and a good supply on hand. As far as a CCW debate lets keep it to the 101 other threads concerning it.    
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2007 at 12:22pm

Originally posted by CarbineKid CarbineKid wrote:

Congrats on picking a great weapon. I would have grabbed the Sig myself, but Sigs are not lefty friendly..so I overpaid for a HK. The Sig Pro series is IMHO just about the best there is when it comes to polymer guns.   The recol is good, fit and finish are excellent. Its reliable and easy to field strip.
Just make sure you grab plenty of ammo and extra mags(before the 08 elections!!). I shop(via the net) at MidwayUSA.com, or CDNN investments. Both stores have great prices, and a good supply on hand. As far as a CCW debate lets keep it to the 101 other threads concerning it.    

You got a great gun with H&K man-again, my dream pistol. You just don't get any better, and certainly not more accurate. What I love about HK is that you get a competetion grade gun in a duty grade package-reliability and extreme accuracy.

Yeah, I plan on buying several mags for it, thanks for the site tips I'll check them out. I bought some cheap 9 dollar a box Wolf ammo for plinking, and some of the relatively expensive Hydra Shok's as defense rounds. 

Edited by stratoaxe - 06 September 2007 at 12:23pm
PaiNTbALLfReNzY View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Arsenal FC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaiNTbALLfReNzY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2007 at 12:55pm
Don't forget the HE rounds
usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2007 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by stratoaxe stratoaxe wrote:

Originally posted by PaiNTbALLfReNzY PaiNTbALLfReNzY wrote:

Sig Arms makes some great firearms. My father is on the Los Angeles Sherriffs Department and wanted to carry a Sig as his "duty weapon" I guess you would call it. The Department had some weak ass rules for why they couldn't use him, so he has a choice between Beretta and H&K.

Most of Texas uses the Sig P226 as their duty weapon. That's awesome if you're dad gets to carry an H&K-if I could have afforded it, that's one of favorite handguns. The cheapest USP's I could find ran anywhere from $800-$950, it was crazy.

My dad's department just recently switched from the H&K guns they used to carry, to Glocks. He said he couldn't be happier.  The USP's they used to carry were much heavier, AND more expensive.

The standard issue now is the 9mm for most of the force, ie. uniformed, administrative, etc. And the Detectives and my dad's drug unit carry the .45's
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CarbineKid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2007 at 1:04pm

Yeah, I plan on buying several mags for it, thanks for the site tips I'll check them out. I bought some cheap 9 dollar a box Wolf ammo for plinking, and some of the relatively expensive Hydra Shok's as defense rounds.

CDNN does not have any listed, midway has them for $34.99 a piece. Its not the greatest price, but I don't think you will find a Factory Sig mag for less. The guys over at the Sig Forum would know better than I.
Heres a pic of the model I have. The P2000

Edited by CarbineKid - 06 September 2007 at 1:34pm
Mephistopheles View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
DELETED!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mephistopheles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2007 at 1:07pm

The chinese lead-based toys drive the people on insane murderous killing sprees.
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
b-YOU-ick. Was that so hard?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2007 at 1:09pm
My uncle has a P226, .357 Sig. Beautiful gun, and since the rounds are necked, it seldom, if ever, jams. Also, the kick is very manageable. The safety is very secure, and easy and convenient to operate. Two thumbs up for the P226. Can't say anything about yours though, just I know Sigs are nice guns.

Evil Elvis: "Detrevni is definally like a hillbilly hippy from hell"

Brian Fellows View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
That’s MISTER Fellows to you...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Fellows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2007 at 1:20pm
I thought only the 229 was chambered in .357 Sig?  That's the handgun carried by the Secret Service.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CarbineKid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2007 at 1:30pm
Originally posted by Brian Fellows Brian Fellows wrote:

I thought only the 229 was chambered in .357 Sig? That's the handgun carried by the Secret Service.

Nope the 229 was designed for the .40 S&W. It also comes in 357 and 9mm.

Sigs P229 page
Sig Pro FAQs
Pistol Wallpaper page..great pics

Edited by CarbineKid - 06 September 2007 at 1:42pm
carl_the_sniper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - 7/29, Bad Linky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carl_the_sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2007 at 1:44pm

My point exactly.

huh?

Yeah, because all murders are committed with a handgun.

Umm...

Number of murders using firearms per capita:

United States: 2.8  per 100,000 pop

Canada: 0.5 per 100,000 people

<just say no to unnecessarily sexualized sigs>
Brian Fellows View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
That’s MISTER Fellows to you...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Fellows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2007 at 2:15pm
Originally posted by CarbineKid CarbineKid wrote:

Originally posted by Brian Fellows Brian Fellows wrote:

I thought only the 229 was chambered in .357 Sig? That's the handgun carried by the Secret Service.

Nope the 229 was designed for the .40 S&W. It also comes in 357 and 9mm.

Sigs P229 page
Sig Pro FAQs
Pistol Wallpaper page..great pics

Yeah, I wasn't quite sure.
Mephistopheles View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
DELETED!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mephistopheles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2007 at 2:24pm
Violent Crimes
US: 475 per 100,000
Canada: 963 per 100,000

Sexual Assault Crimes
US: 32.1 per 100,000
Canada: 74 per 100,000

Assaulte Rate
US: 295 per 100,000
Canada: 746 per 100,000

Enjoy the ride back to Canada on your high horse. Just be careful you don't get assaulted or raped when ya cross the border.
Susan Storm View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Shot at Love Contestant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2007 at 2:33pm

Now, I generally caution against using crime stats out of context, but Meph - it would seem that your stats support Carl's point.

If Canada has higher assualt rates but lower murder rates, would that not support the thesis that guns convert assaults into homicide?

"No society can surely be flourishing and happy, of which the far greater part of the members are poor and miserable."
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2007 at 2:35pm

Originally posted by Canada National Post Article Canada National Post Article wrote:

America's crime problem has dramatically improved, while Canada's is becoming seriously worse. Toronto's 78 homicides in 2005 appears to compare favorably to the homicide totals of the three American cities cited by the Star. But those 78 Toronto homicides in 2005 represent a 28% increase over the 61 homicides recorded in Toronto in 1995. Meanwhile, the three U.S. cities cited by the Star each achieved dramatic decreases over the past decade: Chicago down 46% from 823, Washington down 46% from 365, Baltimore down 17% from 322.

Originally posted by About.com About.com wrote:

The number of most serious violent crimes increased in 2006, including attempted murders, aggravated assaults, and assaults with a weapon/causing bodily harm.

The rate of robberies rose six percent, and about one out of every eight robberies involved a firearm.

Edited by stratoaxe - 06 September 2007 at 2:38pm
Susan Storm View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Shot at Love Contestant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2007 at 2:38pm

Carrying a handgun is a valid right, IMO, with a proper license, but at the same time in a situation where you're on the street and someone makes an attempt on your life, odds are you won't have time or reflexes to use it. Defending yourself with a handgun does require a little bit of timing to work properly.

Most intelligent post I have seen in a CCW thread here in a long time.

"No society can surely be flourishing and happy, of which the far greater part of the members are poor and miserable."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>
  Share Topic