What are your thoughts on DUI check point

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
carl_the_sniper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - 7/29, Bad Linky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carl_the_sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What are your thoughts on DUI check point
    Posted: 09 December 2007 at 10:16pm
Originally posted by Ken Majors Ken Majors wrote:

Originally posted by rednekk98 rednekk98 wrote:

I'm convinced that checkpoints are more of a PR and revenue generating thing than actually a useful deterrent. A more interesting statistic would be the average BAC of the violators. As I said before, in this state, checkpoints are usually held on weekend nights near college towns or entertainment districts. Blow a .09 after having three beers in a two hour period, get your car impounded and go to jail. In the meantime while the police are running the checkpoint, drunk retards are drag racing elsewhere in town. I'm not sure about sobriety checkpoints, but in a normal stop in this state, you must first fail a field sobriety test before they breathalize you.  If you do fine on the field sobriety test, you should not be too impaired to drive no matter you BAC. Roving police patrols would be more likely to target abnormal driving behavior and would probably be a more efficient use of manpower. If I get stopped at a checkpoint an am not even intoxicated the police are probably going to find something wrong with my car to cite me for(ripped windshield wiper, registration sticker in wrong corner of the plate) in this state. I for one have a problem with getting stopped, searched, and interrogated about my nightly travels when I've done nothing wrong, and since these are usually held late at night, now I'm going to be late to go home and sleep. Driving when you are sleep deprived is worse than driving drunk.

I agree with this.

Everytime there is a checkpoint in my area. Everyone knows about it beforehand.
It is even advertised on the radio, newspaper, and Television.
So if you get stuck in one, you are seriously uninformed or stupid.
It is a huge PR deal for the cops.

Yeah, and that pr tells people not to risk it.

It tells people that there will be other checkpoints, even unadvertised ones.
<just say no to unnecessarily sexualized sigs>
Ken Majors View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Tree? What tree? OW!!!! Dangit!!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken Majors Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2007 at 7:41pm
Originally posted by rednekk98 rednekk98 wrote:

I'm convinced that checkpoints are more of a PR and revenue generating thing than actually a useful deterrent. A more interesting statistic would be the average BAC of the violators. As I said before, in this state, checkpoints are usually held on weekend nights near college towns or entertainment districts. Blow a .09 after having three beers in a two hour period, get your car impounded and go to jail. In the meantime while the police are running the checkpoint, drunk retards are drag racing elsewhere in town. I'm not sure about sobriety checkpoints, but in a normal stop in this state, you must first fail a field sobriety test before they breathalize you.  If you do fine on the field sobriety test, you should not be too impaired to drive no matter you BAC. Roving police patrols would be more likely to target abnormal driving behavior and would probably be a more efficient use of manpower. If I get stopped at a checkpoint an am not even intoxicated the police are probably going to find something wrong with my car to cite me for(ripped windshield wiper, registration sticker in wrong corner of the plate) in this state. I for one have a problem with getting stopped, searched, and interrogated about my nightly travels when I've done nothing wrong, and since these are usually held late at night, now I'm going to be late to go home and sleep. Driving when you are sleep deprived is worse than driving drunk.

I agree with this.

Everytime there is a checkpoint in my area. Everyone knows about it beforehand.
It is even advertised on the radio, newspaper, and Television.
So if you get stuck in one, you are seriously uninformed or stupid.
It is a huge PR deal for the cops.
RLTW
brihard View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Making stuff up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brihard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2007 at 10:53am
Originally posted by Bunkered Bunkered wrote:

Originally posted by Gatyr Gatyr wrote:

Well, I'm well beyond that as far as first time I drove. That was 13 years ago. My driving instructor when I was 15 thought I was better the first time I got in the car with him than most students were leaving his class, and he told me this.
Now I'm 20 and have driven well over 200k miles without any incident, ticket, accident, etc.
I'm fairly certain that's evidence to support the fact that I'm an "above average" driver. And that's during the time when I'm supposed to be most dangerous. Now I've got more experience under my belt, I'm far LESS likely to have an incident while driving.
So would none of that have to do with the sparsely populated area you live in? I bet those dirt roads you allegedly adhere to have some rough traffic you manage to avoid.

I adhere to dirt roads only while drunk.
The areas I "hang out" in are more like Pontiac, Flint, or (if I'm house-sitting for my sister as I do sometimes), Detroit. Hardly what I'd consider "low traffic."
I'm usually the one who drives on our two annual 4-hour road trips to Boyne/Nub's Nob, and that is usually during some nasty, snowy weather with decent amounts of traffic (lots of people head north for the weekend here).
I also drive to Cedar Point about once a year, and do a lot of joy-riding around the Auburn Hills area.
You don't rack up 200k+ miles driving around a town that's 15 miles wide (if that).

I'm not saying I'm the best driver on Earth by any means. Just that I'm not your average, testosterone-fueled maniac teenager that thinks going fast/driving recklessly makes you cool, and that I have a fair amount of experience; much more than most people my age.

*Edit: Forgot, I drive to Alabama once a year also to visit relatives. My parents got tired of driving 13 hours once I turned 16 apparently.

Careful, middle aged people die in DUIs all the time. Are you suggesting you've more driving experience than an average 40 year old?
"Abortion is not "choice" in America. It is forced and the democrats are behind it, with the goal of eugenics at its foundation."

-FreeEnterprise, 21 April 2011.

Yup, he actually said that.
Bunkered View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
What AM I smoking?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bunkered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2007 at 1:44am
Originally posted by Gatyr Gatyr wrote:

Well, I'm well beyond that as far as first time I drove. That was 13 years ago. My driving instructor when I was 15 thought I was better the first time I got in the car with him than most students were leaving his class, and he told me this.
Now I'm 20 and have driven well over 200k miles without any incident, ticket, accident, etc.
I'm fairly certain that's evidence to support the fact that I'm an "above average" driver. And that's during the time when I'm supposed to be most dangerous. Now I've got more experience under my belt, I'm far LESS likely to have an incident while driving.
So would none of that have to do with the sparsely populated area you live in? I bet those dirt roads you allegedly adhere to have some rough traffic you manage to avoid.

I adhere to dirt roads only while drunk.
The areas I "hang out" in are more like Pontiac, Flint, or (if I'm house-sitting for my sister as I do sometimes), Detroit. Hardly what I'd consider "low traffic."
I'm usually the one who drives on our two annual 4-hour road trips to Boyne/Nub's Nob, and that is usually during some nasty, snowy weather with decent amounts of traffic (lots of people head north for the weekend here).
I also drive to Cedar Point about once a year, and do a lot of joy-riding around the Auburn Hills area.
You don't rack up 200k+ miles driving around a town that's 15 miles wide (if that).

I'm not saying I'm the best driver on Earth by any means. Just that I'm not your average, testosterone-fueled maniac teenager that thinks going fast/driving recklessly makes you cool, and that I have a fair amount of experience; much more than most people my age.

*Edit: Forgot, I drive to Alabama once a year also to visit relatives. My parents got tired of driving 13 hours once I turned 16 apparently.

Edited by Bunkered - 09 December 2007 at 1:46am
Brian Fellows View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
That’s MISTER Fellows to you...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Fellows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2007 at 1:23am
Originally posted by carl_the_sniper carl_the_sniper wrote:

I have never seen a wild bear in Canada.

I have.
Gatyr View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Strike 1 - Begging for strikes

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gatyr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2007 at 12:51am

So would none of that have to do with the sparsely populated area you live in?

I bet those dirt roads you allegedly adhere to have some rough traffic you manage to avoid.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carl_the_sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2007 at 12:43am
Originally posted by Da Hui Da Hui wrote:

Um, Susan, I am a super awesome driver. While I am speaking of driving. Yesterday I was in the car with my Dad behind a newer Range Rover. Well we see something fly off the guys rear right wheel and we hear it hit our car. Then the guys wheel just falls of and the car is skidding along on its rear brake while the guy tries to slow his car from 45mph. He manages to get the car into the median/ditch without hitting anybody. It was freaky as hell. I was surprised the guy next to us didn't hit the guys 20" rogue wheel.

What does that have to do with anything?

When you are high, you are MUCH more easily distracted. Not to mention distracted by anything.

25 mph will still kill a person.

Who is? You? I've never had any problem focusing while stoned..

I'll try and find the study to post a link. This study done in Europe suggests that with a 100% saturation of THC in your blood (as high as you can possibly be), your driving is impaired to approximately .04 BAC.

Susan: The majority of these "teenage" male drivers (I'm 20, close enough though) also have multiple speeding tickets, an accident, or a DUI. I have none of the above; my car insurance company at least considers me a "safe" driver. My dad (hasn't had an accident in 30 years, or a ticket), my mom, my uncle (cop), and all my siblings (in their late 20's) think I'm an above average driver.
You've never been in my car. Therefore you have no room to place judgement on how good of a driver I am.

Sure you haven't...

You would be much better off sober than stoned don't you think?

I seriously doubt the validity of that study.

I don't have any of those either and I am not a good driver. You are probably not a good driver either because you are so new to it.

As a matter of fact, if we want to talk stereotypes...
You're probably one of those women who haul ass around in a massive SUV while putting on makeup, talking on a cellphone, and eating at the same time. Not paying attention to the road because if you get in an accident you'll be alright. But that's alright, because at least there wasn't a drop of alcohol in your system.

Well, I drive a Grand Marquis, and I drive it about as slowly and cautiously as their normal drivers: grandpas.

HAHA That's how i've always pictured susan also.

Not even kidding.

Unless you are driving drunk or stoned or something.

Of course you don't do that though.
Bunkered View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
What AM I smoking?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bunkered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2007 at 3:53pm
Benjichang View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
I pwned Leroy Jenkins!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benjichang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2007 at 3:25pm
I've seen studies that have concluded you are not even considered to be an average driver until you've been driving for at least 5 years.

irc.esper.net
#paintball
Bunkered View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
What AM I smoking?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bunkered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2007 at 3:11pm
As a matter of fact, if we want to talk stereotypes...
You're probably one of those women who haul ass around in a massive SUV while putting on makeup, talking on a cellphone, and eating at the same time. Not paying attention to the road because if you get in an accident you'll be alright. But that's alright, because at least there wasn't a drop of alcohol in your system.

Well, I drive a Grand Marquis, and I drive it about as slowly and cautiously as their normal drivers: grandpas.

Edited by Bunkered - 08 December 2007 at 3:12pm
Bunkered View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
What AM I smoking?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bunkered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2007 at 3:06pm

When you are high, you are MUCH more easily distracted. Not to mention distracted by anything.

Who is? You? I've never had any problem focusing while stoned..

I'll try and find the study to post a link. This study done in Europe suggests that with a 100% saturation of THC in your blood (as high as you can possibly be), your driving is impaired to approximately .04 BAC.

Susan: The majority of these "teenage" male drivers (I'm 20, close enough though) also have multiple speeding tickets, an accident, or a DUI. I have none of the above; my car insurance company at least considers me a "safe" driver. My dad (hasn't had an accident in 30 years, or a ticket), my mom, my uncle (cop), and all my siblings (in their late 20's) think I'm an above average driver.
You've never been in my car. Therefore you have no room to place judgement on how good of a driver I am.
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2007 at 2:45pm
Originally posted by Susan Storm Susan Storm wrote:

Of course, the overwhelming majority of young male drivers think they are super-awesome drivers, when in fact they are awful drivers, even before they start drinking.

Hence why young male drivers are the most likely to die in a car accident.
Kayback View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2007 at 2:39pm
Half the people in the world are below average drivers.
Da Hui View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Guested, 9/13 Inappropiate post content

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Da Hui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2007 at 12:59pm
Um, Susan, I am a super awesome driver.

While I am speaking of driving. Yesterday I was in the car with my Dad behind a newer Range Rover. Well we see something fly off the guys rear right wheel and we hear it hit our car. Then the guys wheel just falls of and the car is skidding along on its rear brake while the guy tries to slow his car from 45mph. He manages to get the car into the median/ditch without hitting anybody. It was freaky as hell. I was surprised the guy next to us didn't hit the guys 20" rogue wheel.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carl_the_sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2007 at 12:06pm
Originally posted by Susan Storm Susan Storm wrote:

Allow me to vaguely paraphrase Bunkered's point:

Driving drunk is dangerous, but it's ok for Bunkered, because he is a super-awesome driver who learned to drive as a kid.

Of course, the overwhelming majority of young male drivers think they are super-awesome drivers, when in fact they are aweful drivers, even before they start drinking.

But since Bunkered knows for sure that he actually IS a super-awesome driver (unlike those other millions of kids who are wrong), I guess it is perfectly ok for him to drive drunk.

Once again, susan ftw!
Skillet42565 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1: Taunting Mods on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skillet42565 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2007 at 11:28am
Served.
Susan Storm View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Shot at Love Contestant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2007 at 11:27am

Allow me to vaguely paraphrase Bunkered's point:

Driving drunk is dangerous, but it's ok for Bunkered, because he is a super-awesome driver who learned to drive as a kid.

Of course, the overwhelming majority of young male drivers think they are super-awesome drivers, when in fact they are awful drivers, even before they start drinking.

But since Bunkered knows for sure that he actually IS a super-awesome driver (unlike those other millions of kids who are wrong), I guess it is perfectly ok for him to drive drunk.

Edited by Susan Storm - 08 December 2007 at 12:48pm
"No society can surely be flourishing and happy, of which the far greater part of the members are poor and miserable."
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carl_the_sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2007 at 11:08am

Edited by carl_the_sniper - 08 December 2007 at 11:09am
Bunkered View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
What AM I smoking?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bunkered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2007 at 7:43am
Wow.. Now to retype that small novel since I deleted it accidentally.

Since I smoke weed and drink underage, it should be rather apparent that I don't worry about doing illegal things for the sole fact that they're illegal.

Not that it really has anything to do with the conversation, but I guess I'm not your average driver. My dad taught me how to drive at a young age (about 7), and he taught me how to get out of trouble while driving. We used to go to an abandoned parking lot and he'd have me put the car in a spin just to practice getting out of them. I've been in two spins on the road, both doing over 50, and recovered from both without hitting anything or going off the road (neither were alcohol-related btw). Anyone who slams on their brakes in a skid is a moron since you're supposed to let off the brakes until you regain control of the vehicle.

Maybe the dope is what keeps me from getting over-confident when I'm driving buzzed (I'm going to stop saying drunk, because I'm not what I consider "drunk" at .08, and people have previously said that I must not have only had 1-2 if I was drunk). It actually has the opposite effect... Ever notice how high people drive slow?

When did I ever whine/act emo about them ticketing me or suspending my licence? Never; because that's never happened (nor is it likely to). And if it did, I understand that the law is still the law, and the police/courts must uphold it and would take full responsibility for my actions. I might be upset if I blew a .08 and went to jail for it, but tickets/fines/etc. is the law of the land.
Why do you think I said I don't drive on main roads/highways/in cities, etc? Only in my small town where I can stick to dirt roads with NO ONE on them (I still don't think you know how few people are on them; people don't even like to drive down the ones I use because they're so damn bumpy), and where I know every inch of road and can pay attention to other things (like these children that supposedly are going to dash across the road at 3am less than 15 feet in front of my car).

Susan: I agree that no study probably exists to deny that drinking impairs your ability to drive.
What I question is whether the .25 seconds or whatever that it slows me reactions (which are faster than usual anyways) makes me a serious threat to anything while going 25mph or under. How far do you travel in .25 seconds while going 25? 9.16 feet, assuming I'm going 25, and I usually do a few under because of potholes.
Maybe someone better with physics could tell me how many feet it takes to stop a car moving 25mph and make this even more accurate.
It would be virtually impossible for me to not see something 15 feet in front of me (plenty of time/space to stop at that speed), especially considering my devout attention to the road, and the fact that I'm a highly observant person.
I'm not saying I'm not somewhat impaired at a .08 BAC. I'm just saying that I'm not so impaired I can't operate a vehicle under good road conditions at near-idling speed, and more than that, still better than your average driver.
Kayback View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2007 at 2:57am
The thing is it isn't how much self control you think you have (and if you have to drink and drive you obviously lack it to begin with). It's about impairment. Average reaction time is 1/3 of a second. Thats how long it takes a normal person to notice, identify, decide on a course of action and execute your plan with regards to an out of the ordinary event. I know that during the day i'm running around a 0.25 second reaction time. It's slightly better than average. But on night shift, around 3 or 4 in the morning? Its up to 0.4 , bordering on 0.5 of a second! Throw in a couple of beers (and by 3an who's only had a couple?) And i'm probably running near a second! Go play a multiplayer game pinging a thousand.

With my comments with regard to most people not driving as well as they think, i was referring to out of the ordinary situations. Most people have no idea how to control a car in an unnatural attitude. Most people have no idea and less practice in controlling, recovering or surviving a spin. Hell the average driver is only capable of turning a skid into a spin, not controlling the situation. Now add alcohol. That little itty bit of overconfidence or mis judgement means you break a bit hard, turn a bit sharply and now you reacting behind the situation because you are for all intents, lagging. Does this round like a good time to be driving on a dirt road, probably with minimal lighting, where animals wander around?

Yes it probably safer doing it there than on a highway, but the core of the matter is it is still ILLEGAL.

A cop ticketing you for it, or getting your licence suspended is tough luck. You made the decision, you executed your plan knowing full well you were breaking the law. Take your punishment like a man, and not a whiney Emo.

You say you won't probably ever get caught? Well then you only have yourself to live with. Just don't ever expect responsible, law abiding people to agree with you. And if you ever do get busted or kill someone, don't expect any sympathy.
As for being a stoner? Well the less said the better.

I do acknowledge there are people more dangerous on the road than you probably are after one beer, but in my opinion those people should be taken off the roads as well. The difference is someone with eye problems didn't decide to take a perfectly working body and degrade it with alcohol.

I know someone with only 1% vision in her left eye, and she drives better than another friend with two perfect eyes, who is just a bad driver. But my one eyed friend meets the legal requirements to drive. If you are over the limit, you don't.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 12>
  Share Topic