What are your thoughts on DUI check point

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
brihard View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Making stuff up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brihard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2007 at 7:50pm
Originally posted by Bunkered Bunkered wrote:

OK... So? Hey everybody, Brihard thinks I'm a dumbass; I'm gonna go cry now.

Good thing I don't drive drunk where cops are going to see me.
I think it's an individual thing. No one should ever drive drunk. However, some people are capable of it, which is what I'm trying to say.
Everyone here seems to think that if you have 1 beer and get in a car, it's auto-death for you and anyone else you happen to pass on the road.
And that's just plain not true.

Well done trying to put words in my mouth. Not the dumbass part, but the auto-death thing. Not that I expect you to care what my personal opinion is- anyone who gets distressed about that on the internet has bigger issues anyway. I'd just hope that you'd see some sense.

Driving is already a risky enough proposition for everyone on the roads. So many things could go wrong. To flagrantly disregard the possible risk to others by getting behind the wheel drunk is horrendously selfish and irresponsible. I don't particularly care if you risk your own life- you're a name on the internet to me. But there are so many preventable tragedies in which someone completely innocent is harmed by a drunk driver. To willingly do something that increases that risk in any way is reprehensible. If you keep it up, I hope that some day it bites you in the ass hard enough that you learn from it without you or anyone else getting hurt. I've seen all the harm just this week from my buddy getting a DUI, and that's minor in the grand scheme of things- only financial and legal trouble. To voluntarily subject yourself or others to that and worse is just idiotic, regardless of how much of a self-righteous internet huff you work yourself into.
"Abortion is not "choice" in America. It is forced and the democrats are behind it, with the goal of eugenics at its foundation."

-FreeEnterprise, 21 April 2011.

Yup, he actually said that.
.357 Magnum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Guested and IP banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .357 Magnum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2007 at 7:49pm

Brihard thinks I'm a dumbass

He isn't alone.

You also say you drive high all the time so you think thats why you are good drunk. Have you ever drank or smoked before ? Driving drunk and driving high are to totally different things. As for the yellow line, It basically says the edge of the road. And as for not knowing you had any beer, I bet I would smell it.
Bunkered View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
What AM I smoking?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bunkered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2007 at 7:46pm
Originally posted by .357 Magnum .357 Magnum wrote:

I would be willing to bet bunkered is that drunk driver you see hugging the yellow line, swerving far out of the way of things on the side of the road and what not.

For one thing there are no yellow lines on dirt roads.

But since the few times I have driven on the main roads drunk I've never been pulled over (and not for a lack of seeing cops, I've even had one behind me for a couple miles), I'm assuming I'm not that guy.

As stated previously, I guarantee you that you wouldn't even think I'd had a single beer if you were in my car.

Then again, I drive around high as hell all the time, so maybe I'm just used to it and always swerve all over the place. But if that's the case, I'm the luckiest mo alive since I've never received a traffic ticket. Ever.
Bunkered View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
What AM I smoking?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bunkered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2007 at 7:42pm
OK... So? Hey everybody, Brihard thinks I'm a dumbass; I'm gonna go cry now.

Good thing I don't drive drunk where cops are going to see me.
I think it's an individual thing. No one should ever drive drunk. However, some people are capable of it, which is what I'm trying to say.
Everyone here seems to think that if you have 1 beer and get in a car, it's auto-death for you and anyone else you happen to pass on the road.
And that's just plain not true.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Guested and IP banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .357 Magnum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2007 at 7:41pm
I would be willing to bet bunkered is that drunk driver you see hugging the yellow line, swerving far out of the way of things on the side of the road and what not.

brihard View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brihard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2007 at 7:38pm

Erm... No?
Because I pay attention to the road?
Because I have some sense of responsibility (even moreso when drunk) to not do any of those things?
Being buzzed doesn't put you (or at least me) out of touch with reality... If someone/something steps out in front of me, I stop.
I've proved it time and again when deer/cattle/people/dogs/etc. stepped out in front of me and I didn't hit them.

I get the feeling that the people I'm arguing against probably don't even drive yet.

That would be incorrect. Today for a couple hours I drove my buddy's truck back to our hometown from the base we work at because he got a DUI a week and a half ago. He has lost his license, and is getting kicked off our overseas deployment now; about $70,000 in lost income because he thought he was good to drive. Fortunately he was pulled before something happened that could have hurt someone. He swears up and down that he was absolutely good to drive (he blew a .10, legal limit .08), yet he still managed to catch the attention of a police officer with his driving.

You can have all the feelings you want and still be a dumbass.
"Abortion is not "choice" in America. It is forced and the democrats are behind it, with the goal of eugenics at its foundation."

Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Guested and IP banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .357 Magnum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2007 at 7:37pm
Wow, couple years ago a kid at school died because of a drunk driver. The kid was going to a party, had his friend come pick him up. The catch is that his friend was already drunk, took a corner to fast, lost control of the car, rolled it and the kid who got picked up ( passenger) was ejected from the car and flew about 15 feet into a telephone pole and it killed him. You have no idea how many people were effected by that one person dieing. 
Bunkered View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
What AM I smoking?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bunkered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2007 at 7:35pm
Originally posted by brihard brihard wrote:

What about people walking ? A pet, or other animal ? You go off the road into somebody's house and kill them ?
Not to mention the impact on one's own family. And the very real financial implications of a DUI. Perhaps the psychological trauma inflicted on whoever scrapes you out of your car.It's never going to happen to you. It's always someone else. Someone else's kid. Someone else's friend. Someone else's brother. Funny thing is they all thought that too.I will maintain that you're an idiot, regardless of where you live.

And I will maintain that I don't give a <poop> what you think I am.
Bunkered View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
What AM I smoking?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bunkered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2007 at 7:34pm
Erm... No?
Because I pay attention to the road?
Because I have some sense of responsibility (even moreso when drunk) to not do any of those things?
Being buzzed doesn't put you (or at least me) out of touch with reality... If someone/something steps out in front of me, I stop.
I've proved it time and again when deer/cattle/people/dogs/etc. stepped out in front of me and I didn't hit them.

I get the feeling that the people I'm arguing against probably don't even drive yet.
brihard View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brihard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2007 at 7:33pm

What about people walking ? A pet, or other animal ? You go off the road into somebody's house and kill them ?

Not to mention the impact on one's own family. And the very real financial implications of a DUI. Perhaps the psychological trauma inflicted on whoever scrapes you out of your car.

It's never going to happen to you. It's always someone else. Someone else's kid. Someone else's friend. Someone else's brother. Funny thing is they all thought that too.

I will maintain that you're an idiot, regardless of where you live.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Guested and IP banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .357 Magnum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2007 at 7:28pm
Bunkered View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
What AM I smoking?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bunkered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2007 at 7:25pm
Let me ask you a question Carl?
Ever been to Ortonville, MI?
No? Then shut your face.

If I see one car a MONTH while driving home at 2-3am on the roads I drive on, that's about it. And most of the time its someone I know. I live in the boonies, not in a suburbian or city area.

Let's say I see 200 cars one night (not a chance in hell). I'm still not going to crash into one of them. You know why? I retain some form of self control no matter how much I drink. If I'm drunk enough that I'm slurring words, stumbling around, not thinking clearly, etc., I don't even imagine getting in my car. But if I've only had a few, you can bet your arse that I can still drive better than about 90% of people do sober.

It's not like anytime you drive drunk you get in an accident. It just makes it more likely. I think that .2 makes you 10x more likely to crash.
What that equates to is that if you drive 5 miles drunk, you have the same chance of getting in an accident as if you'd driven 50 miles sober. And since I've driven well over 200k miles total wihout an accident or a ticket, I like those odds.

Edited by Bunkered - 07 December 2007 at 7:27pm
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Guested and IP banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .357 Magnum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2007 at 7:25pm
Lol @ dude who thinks it's ok to drive drunk because he is on dirt roads.

I live out in the boon docks. There are dirt roads where you wouldn't see any cars. That doesn't mean it's ok to drive drunk.
brihard View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brihard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2007 at 7:22pm

Well, if you thoroughly read my post, you would probably have noticed the fact that I usually pass not a single car on my way home. Maybe one.
So the only person I'm putting at risk is me, and I really couldn't care less. If I kill myself going 25 on roads that I've driven well over a thousand times in good road conditions (I never drive drunk if it's bad outside), I probably deserve to be dead.

I did thoroughly read your post. 'I drive drunk sometimes' is simply stupid regardless of context.

carl_the_sniper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - 7/29, Bad Linky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carl_the_sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2007 at 7:12pm

Well, if you thoroughly read my post, you would probably have noticed the fact that I usually pass not a single car on my way home. Maybe one.
So the only person I'm putting at risk is me, and I really couldn't care less. If I kill myself going 25 on roads that I've driven well over a thousand times in good road conditions (I never drive drunk if it's bad outside), I probably deserve to be dead.

Usually is not always.
<just say no to unnecessarily sexualized sigs>
Bunkered View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
What AM I smoking?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bunkered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2007 at 7:07pm
carl_the_sniper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - 7/29, Bad Linky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carl_the_sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2007 at 7:00pm
What bothers me most is that whenever he is defending his drunk driving, he only talks about the legal side of it. Not the fact that he is putting others in danger.
<just say no to unnecessarily sexualized sigs>
brihard View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brihard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2007 at 6:52pm

Ha! A cab... What is this cab you speak of?
We don't have that kind of stuff out here in the sticks...

And that's basically what I've been saying the whole time. I drive drunk sometimes mostly because of where I live. It's really easy to get away with, I can drive on dirt roads at 25 (I could do 15 without looking suspicious) to and from my house from almost any of my friend's houses, and I might see one car on my way home.

When I lived in Detroit for 6 months, I was drunk almost every night and drove only once, towards the beginning. Me and my buddies went to the 7-11 a few blocks over and we were lazy. A cop followed us there but didn't pull us over.
That was still enough to make me not want to drive drunk in the city... But out in my area, I won't hesitate to drive home if I don't feel too drunk yet and the party's getting lame.

As far as the "not as good at driving as you think," comment goes... I've only been pulled over once, and that was for something un-related to my driving. The only accident I've been in is when a state trooper rear-ended me while I was turning left (gg police), and I have avoided many would-be collisions due to idiots doing what they do best.
Most of my friends would let me drive their cars if I'm drunk and they're sober, and my parents have been in the vehicle with me driving while I'm drunk (story's a few pages back now), and had no idea I was.
So I think I can handle driving intoxicated slightly around my hometown. Regardless of all the studies, I guarantee you that if you were in the car with me, you wouldn't know I'd had a few drinks either.

Then you're an idiot. I hope you don't kill somebody some day. Driving is a privilege, not a right, and whether you reject your moral accountability or not you're putting yourself and others in danger.

Bunkered View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
What AM I smoking?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bunkered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2007 at 6:15pm
Ha! A cab... What is this cab you speak of?
We don't have that kind of stuff out here in the sticks...

And that's basically what I've been saying the whole time. I drive drunk sometimes mostly because of where I live. It's really easy to get away with, I can drive on dirt roads at 25 (I could do 15 without looking suspicious) to and from my house from almost any of my friend's houses, and I might see one car on my way home.

When I lived in Detroit for 6 months, I was drunk almost every night and drove only once, towards the beginning. Me and my buddies went to the 7-11 a few blocks over and we were lazy. A cop followed us there but didn't pull us over.
That was still enough to make me not want to drive drunk in the city... But out in my area, I won't hesitate to drive home if I don't feel too drunk yet and the party's getting lame.

As far as the "not as good at driving as you think," comment goes... I've only been pulled over once, and that was for something un-related to my driving. The only accident I've been in is when a state trooper rear-ended me while I was turning left (gg police), and I have avoided many would-be collisions due to idiots doing what they do best.
Most of my friends would let me drive their cars if I'm drunk and they're sober, and my parents have been in the vehicle with me driving while I'm drunk (story's a few pages back now), and had no idea I was.
So I think I can handle driving intoxicated slightly around my hometown. Regardless of all the studies, I guarantee you that if you were in the car with me, you wouldn't know I'd had a few drinks either.

Edited by Bunkered - 07 December 2007 at 6:16pm
Kayback View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2007 at 3:41pm
Bunkered, most people don't drive as well as they think they do to start off with.

Throw in alcohol and it is a dangerous mix. A little imparied can turn a mediocre driver into a danger.

If you gonna drink, don't be a idiot and get behind the wheel of a vehicle that weighs over a ton, with enough momentum to kill an elephant and then drive on public roads.

Quote Moral: If you're gonna drive while intoxicated, don't be an idiot. Paying attention and following traffic laws goes a long way towards keeping yourself accident/ticket free

Like the law about not driving while intoxicated in the first place? How about just following that then nothing else is a problem.

Seriously.

A little pre planning, like Susan suggested, can prevent driving intoxicated.

Not you probably can't cover 100% of the evenutalities, and there are times that I'll get behind the wheel of my car drunk. Alien invasion is one of them.

However that's a remote possibility.

Make sure you have a designated driver, and a cab company's number on your cell phone. Problems solved. Get a frantic phonecall? Get the DD to take you there. Get a cab from there back to your car.

A little pre planning makes life much much easier to deal with, not just avoiding a DUI.

KBK

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 12>
  Share Topic