Tippmann Paintball Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > News And Views > Thoughts and Opinions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What are your thoughts on DUI check point

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 12>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CarbineKid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What are your thoughts on DUI check point
    Posted: 02 December 2007 at 12:43am
My wife was out shopping with my mother in law. She left the N Attleboro Wal-Mart around 11:30 and started to travel home. As she pulled onto the main road and started to head home she ran into a DUI check point. She waited in line for over a half hour. When it because her turn she was approached by an officer who stated to ask her questions. "What were you doing tonight, where were you, have you been drinking?" She noticed SWAT guys nearby as well a B.A.T. Mobile. I kid you not that what was printed on the truck.
Now I'm one of those LEOs cant do anything wrong type, but seriously isn't the check points Nazi like. Not to mention SWAT teams, and a Bat Mobile(lol). Now I will grant this happened across the state line in Mass(and that might explain alot), but I just feel that this is wrong. So what are your thoughts. If I'm not mistaken this is illegal in my state of RI.
Snake6 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Outranked by guitarguy?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snake6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2007 at 12:48am
I really don't care. If you are drinking and driving you deserve it. 
Bunkered View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
What AM I smoking?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bunkered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2007 at 12:58am
Originally posted by Snake6 Snake6 wrote:

Yeah, but stop every car coming down a road and search/check every person? I thought they had to have some cause to pull you over.
What if some guy gets fired from his job because he had to sit in line for half an hour, and he has done absolutely nothing wrong?

It really does seem like that should be illegal constitutionally or something...
carl_the_sniper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - 7/29, Bad Linky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carl_the_sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2007 at 1:00am
Originally posted by Bunkered Bunkered wrote:

Yeah, but stop every car coming down a road and search/check every person? I thought they had to have some cause to pull you over.
What if some guy gets fired from his job because he had to sit in line for half an hour, and he has done absolutely nothing wrong?

It really does seem like that should be illegal constitutionally or something...

Fired is better than dead.
<just say no to unnecessarily sexualized sigs>
Bunkered View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
What AM I smoking?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bunkered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2007 at 1:05am
Originally posted by carl_the_sniper carl_the_sniper wrote:

So? I don't see how that negates anything I said.
If you are breaking no laws, the police have no right to stop you.
How would you feel if they walked into your house at night just to check what you were doing?
bravecoward View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
oxymoran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bravecoward Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2007 at 1:12am
what if it only took 5 mins?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carl_the_sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2007 at 1:19am

How would you feel if they walked into your house at night just to check what you were doing?

My point was that a minor inconvienence is well worth it to save lives. It doesn't have to negate your point, rights should have reasonable limitations.

They are welcome to come at night but they should call ahead so I can prepare snacks.
Glassjaw View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Took down Mike Tyson

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glassjaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2007 at 1:51am

My point was that a minor inconvienence is well worth it to save lives. It doesn't have to negate your point, rights should have reasonable limitations.

They are welcome to come at night but they should call ahead so I can prepare snacks.

Well tell them to call ahead before the next DUI check point. 
The desire for polyester is just to powerful.
xXK1CK1NVV1NGXx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 2, 7/17 - quote offensive post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xXK1CK1NVV1NGXx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2007 at 2:01am
The police don't really need a reason to pull you over, also if you are late to work because of a half hour inconvenience then you need to be leaving earlier. Because you need to be expecting there to be something that will/can go wrong, like a car accident.
<Sig violation, Section 1>
Glassjaw View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Took down Mike Tyson

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glassjaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2007 at 2:04am
Originally posted by xXK1CK1NVV1NGXx xXK1CK1NVV1NGXx wrote:

The police don't really need a reason to pull you over, also if you are late to work because of a half hour inconvenience then you need to be leaving earlier. Because you need to be expecting there to be something that will/can go wrong, like a car accident.

So people should leave at least a half hour earlier then they already do for work?
xXK1CK1NVV1NGXx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 2, 7/17 - quote offensive post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xXK1CK1NVV1NGXx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2007 at 2:07am
No, say you live like 10 minutes away, and you leave exactly 10 minutes from when you have to be there. There is a good chance something will come up that will make you late, like a dui checkpoint. I am just saying if you only leave like 10 minutes of leeway then there is a good chance that there will be at least one day where you are late.
<Sig violation, Section 1>
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carl_the_sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2007 at 2:08am
Nobody gets fired because of a checkpoint.

It's a minor inconvienance that saves lives.
Glassjaw View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Took down Mike Tyson

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glassjaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2007 at 2:13am
Originally posted by xXK1CK1NVV1NGXx xXK1CK1NVV1NGXx wrote:

No, say you live like 10 minutes away, and you leave exactly 10 minutes from when you have to be there. There is a good chance something will come up that will make you late, like a dui checkpoint. I am just saying if you only leave like 10 minutes of leeway then there is a good chance that there will be at least one day where you are late.

Which is why most people leave earlier than that, especially if you have to use a highway.
tippmannfreak View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Strike 1 - Inappropriate Post, 1/15

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tippmannfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2007 at 2:27am
seriously? why is this a debate. there's no reason cops should be able to do this. it's crap. i can't beleive people are actually pulling out the "oh but it saves lives," argument. i could prolly think of a lot of things we could do to save a few lives at the sacrifice of our personal liberties...patriot act?
Bunkered View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
What AM I smoking?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bunkered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2007 at 2:28am

It's a minor inconvienance that saves lives.

Got any numbers or statistics to back that up?

If I'm drunk and I see a bunch of 5-0 somewhere, I guarantee you I turn around or go down a sidestreet. Eff that. (Not that I drive drunk or anything...)
Mehs View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
An Hero

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mehs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2007 at 5:22am
If drunken driving is very problematic in that area, it's a good thing to have I suppose. 
I know that where I live now (middle of Wisconsin), drunken driving is a HUGE problem, I know MANY people that do it all the time, it's actually pretty scary.  Having a DUI checkpoint would be a good idea where I am at.
[IMG]http://i27.tinypic.com/1538fbc.jpg">
Squeeze Box
Kristofer View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Good Sport. Semper Fi!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristofer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2007 at 7:10am
i always get to work 30 minutes early. sooo it wouldnt make me late.

as for it, i think its a good idea to do those. i thought attelboro was in mass? maybe there is one in mass as well. and i know my town does them every so often. i like them. my brother was hit by my NEIGHBOR a few years back who was drunk driving on thanksgiving. had my brother not been in a full size SUV (GMC Envoy) he would have been killed.so i am all for them.
BARREL BREAK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Official Jackbooted Thug Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BARREL BREAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2007 at 7:12am
Didn't we have a thread about this awhile ago?
jmac3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Official Box Hoister

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmac3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2007 at 8:38am
Well I was in North Attleboro last night at about that time and saw no checkpoint.

Granted I only got off the highway and to the plaza that is right there. I needed sleep so I didn't die.

Then at 1 I left and drove to providence. Still didn't see. It was probably further down the road.

My thoughts on the matter are: Speed it up, but keep it.
Que pasa?

BARREL BREAK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Official Jackbooted Thug Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BARREL BREAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2007 at 8:45am
Originally posted by CarbineKid CarbineKid wrote:

but seriously isn't the check points Nazi like.
Godwin in first post?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 12>
  Share Topic