Forum Home Forum Home > News And Views > Thoughts and Opinions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What are your thoughts on DUI check point

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 12>
Author
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - 7/29, Bad Linky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carl_the_sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2007 at 4:18pm
Honestly what is wrong with it besides it being a minor inconvience and maybe making you get how a bit late on saturday night.

In my experiences, that is usually when it is... at night on a weekend.

edit: Mephistopheles: this is a simple check designed to save lives (which i'm sure it does) It is not a government conspiracy to keep the man down like you are spinning it.

Edited by carl_the_sniper - 02 December 2007 at 4:20pm
<just say no to unnecessarily sexualized sigs>
Da Hui View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Guested, 9/13 Inappropiate post content

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Da Hui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2007 at 4:52pm
Carl, thats what the Government WANTS you to believe 
carl_the_sniper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carl_the_sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2007 at 4:56pm
Originally posted by Da Hui Da Hui wrote:

You're one of them!
Da Hui View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Guested, 9/13 Inappropiate post content

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Da Hui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2007 at 5:01pm
Originally posted by carl_the_sniper carl_the_sniper wrote:

Originally posted by Da Hui Da Hui wrote:

You're one of them!

Shhh....
choopie911 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2007 at 5:04pm
I'm absolutely fine with them. Drunk driving is so dumb, I'm in favour of check stops. Even if it makes me late for something, I'm ok with it, and it's a decent excuse.
Gatyr View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Strike 1 - Begging for strikes

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gatyr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2007 at 5:05pm

Originally posted by Mephistopheles Mephistopheles wrote:

People eating and driving are a cause of accidents and deaths. Thus food should be banned in America. We need checkpoints to assure that there is no food in their system. Fascism is acceptable so long as it's hidden behind the guise of protecting us from us, and safety for our children.

There's a reason why all of our rights are eroding faster than Niagara Falls. Idiotic people saying "Well if you aren't doing anything illegal you have nothing to hide" and just bend over willingly. The ignorant masses are so eager to hand over their rights for the illusion of safety that simply isn't there.

This is just another example of showing how you have no rights. You are only allowed to be "free" until they want to **** with you, then you have to take it.

lol

choopie911 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2007 at 5:10pm

People eating and driving are a cause of accidents and deaths. Thus food should be banned in America. We need checkpoints to assure that there is no food in their system. Fascism is acceptable so long as it's hidden behind the guise of protecting us from us, and safety for our children.

There's a reason why all of our rights are eroding faster than Niagara Falls. Idiotic people saying "Well if you aren't doing anything illegal you have nothing to hide" and just bend over willingly. The ignorant masses are so eager to hand over their rights for the illusion of safety that simply isn't there.

This is just another example of showing how you have no rights. You are only allowed to be "free" until they want to **** with you, then you have to take it.

HAHHAHAHA, wow....

So if you were driving along, and a drunk driver hit you. Regardless of how much damage he does, you wouldn't be the slight bit pissed if he could have been stopped by a checkpoint, but they didnt have any?

Seriously, your argument is so daft it's unbelievable.   
JohnnyCanuck View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
In soviet Canuckistan...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyCanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2007 at 6:57pm

I think you need to live in a 3rd world country for a period of time if you think you have no rights in the USA, I think you're getting rights mixed up with privilege's. Driving is a privilege, if you don't obey the laws, that privilege is revoked.
Imagine there’s a picture of your favourite thing here.
Dye Playa View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Guested- Reposted Inapropiate Link.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dye Playa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2007 at 7:05pm

Brilliant. Food doesn't affect your ability to drive, alcohol does. Eating WHILE driving, then you might have a case, but that paragraph of ramble was absolutely idiotic.
CarbineKid View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CarbineKid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2007 at 9:37pm
Originally posted by +DreX+ +DreX+ wrote:

Sucks dudedown here in RHode ISland [yeah ur little armpit cousin ] They ramped up the amount of po-po's outside..They have like an increase of 45% at night, so now i cant drive fast :(

I also live in RI and DUI check points are illegal here. For once the ACLU did something right here. I think reading everyones response here is interesting, and im honestl not sure if I like the idea or not. Im just glad I wasn't there.      
gardy90 View Drop Down
Strike 1 - Filter Dodge, 4/14

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gardy90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2007 at 10:19pm
if you havent done anything wrong then dont worry about it. would you rather have a mild delay or be dead...
"FIRST THERE"

a-5
16" J&J ceramic
polished internals
X7 low profile hopper
costom painted 20 oz tank
procarbinefreak View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Budget Medical Procedures Available

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote procarbinefreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2007 at 10:32pm
never seen one... i'd like to say i wouldn't mind, but it'd be really annoying.  Although I do on occasion call 911 to report a potential drunk driver.  
Bunkered View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
What AM I smoking?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bunkered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2007 at 10:59pm
Originally posted by gardy90 gardy90 wrote:

if you havent done anything wrong then dont worry about it. would you rather have a mild delay or be dead...

Honestly, what makes you think you'd be any more dead than if there were no checkpoints? You're more likely to be involved in a car crash not on the highway, but on surface roads. I've never seen a checkpoint on a sidestreet.

I really think it's funny that every time someone gets killed by a drunk driver, it's automatically the drunk person's fault. Shouldn't whoever pulled out in front of the drunk guy and got t-boned have been paying attention to other traffic on the road?
I'm not justifying drunk driving or anything, but people really just need to pay more attention while driving. When you stop at a light, look both ways. I don't care if the light turn green, that doesn't mean some jackass isn't flying down the road with his lights off, running red lights.

The "If you're doing nothing wrong, then don't worry about it," is BS.
I make sure I obey all traffic laws specifically so I don't have to talk to the police. Why? Because I don't trust them not to come up with some BS charge and throw it at me. Even if it is just an inconvenience and you're on your way... Why? I shouldn't be inconvenienced by those who are put there to protect me.

If you see some guy driving drunk, pull him over. Don't stop hundreds of people in hopes of catching 1-2 people (who most likely wouldn't have crashed into anyone anyways).
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carl_the_sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2007 at 11:08pm
Originally posted by Bunkered Bunkered wrote:

Honestly, what makes you think you'd be any more dead than if there were no checkpoints? You're more likely to be involved in a car crash not on the highway, but on surface roads. I've never seen a checkpoint on a sidestreet.

I really think it's funny that every time someone gets killed by a drunk driver, it's automatically the drunk person's fault. Shouldn't whoever pulled out in front of the drunk guy and got t-boned have been paying attention to other traffic on the road?
I'm not justifying drunk driving or anything, but people really just need to pay more attention while driving. When you stop at a light, look both ways. I don't care if the light turn green, that doesn't mean some jackass isn't flying down the road with his lights off, running red lights.

I make sure I obey all traffic laws specifically so I don't have to talk to the police. Why? Because I don't trust them not to come up with some BS charge and throw it at me. Even if it is just an inconvenience and you're on your way... Why? I shouldn't be inconvenienced by those who are put there to protect me.

If you see some guy driving drunk, pull him over. Don't stop hundreds of people in hopes of catching 1-2 people (who most likely wouldn't have crashed into anyone anyways).

I've never seen a checkpoint on a highway, only service roads.

Generally, it is the drunk driver's fault (and by generally, I mean almost all the time)

Seriously, I really don't know why you care about something that usually takes less than 10 minutes.

If pulling over hundreds to arrest two gets both those drivers off the road, I believe that it is well worth it.

Your perception of police officers is wrong. They are not all crooked.

Bunkered View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
What AM I smoking?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bunkered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2007 at 11:16pm
I didn't say they all were.
Just enough to make me want to talk to them as little as possible.
The limited contact I've had with them (only been pulled over once) has shown me that even the ones who are straight are major assholes on a powertrip.
The only time I've had a cop be civil (not nice, civil) was when he rear-ended me in his cruiser when I made a completely legal left turn with my blinker on. Even then, he tried to tell me it was my fault ("What'd you stop so fast for?"). I stuck up for myself because I knew I did nothing wrong, and he cut me a check for the damages plus some for me to not file a report. Sounds pretty straight, eh?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carl_the_sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2007 at 11:22pm

The limited contact I've had with them (only been pulled over once) has shown me that even the ones who are straight are major assholes on a powertrip.
The only time I've had a cop be civil (not nice, civil) was when he rear-ended me in his cruiser when I made a completely legal left turn with my blinker on. Even then, he tried to tell me it was my fault ("What'd you stop so fast for?"). I stuck up for myself because I knew I did nothing wrong, and he cut me a check for the damages plus some for me to not file a report. Sounds pretty straight, eh?

So either:

You had some coincidential bad experiences

or

American police are really crooked

And how is some officer wanting to keep it quiet even close to someone making up wrong charges? Did you accept his cheque for the extra money? If so, you have nothing to say.
Hysteria View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 2 - Language, 9/25

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hysteria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2007 at 11:23pm
Blue lights flashing, they had traffic stopped 
And Highway 11's done turned into a permanent road block
I wasn't driving, my wife was my D.D.
And she hadn't drank a drop, still got hassled by the J.P.D.
And I said hey dude can't you just leave her alone
She ain't done nothin' wrong man and we just want to go home
Woah-woah

And I was mad as hell, thinking <screw> the po-po
and they wonder why folks don't trust 'em no more
Woah-hoah
And I'm not gonna let this go, so I'm singing <screw> the po-po
Bunkered View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
What AM I smoking?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bunkered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2007 at 12:02am

So either:

You had some coincidential bad experiences

or

American police are really crooked

And how is some officer wanting to keep it quiet even close to someone making up wrong charges? Did you accept his cheque for the extra money? If so, you have nothing to say.

I may have done wrong to accept the money, but I told him to just give me $300. Then I bought a bag and fixed it myself... True story.

But aside from that, it would have put me in a really akward position if I did go and file the report. Police look out for each other, they don't want their partner to have to deal with some lawsuit, and I used to drive a very recognizable vehicle (especially for the week or so after he hit me, as the star from his bumper was dented into the back).
It doesn't seem like a good idea to piss off a cop/the department because the Michigan State Police station is like 5 miles from my house, and they could just pull me over incessantly. Believe me, they're bored enough to do that where I'm from.
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2007 at 12:11am
Ah, Democracy.

It's give and take-safety and freedom. All of these threads, be it gun crime, drugs, auto accidents, privacy, it all comes down to swapping freedom and safety.

The thing is, there's nothing wrong with sacrificing a little freedom for a little security. There are just too many drunk drivers out there to rely on one or two police officers, and ANY lives lost to a drunk driver is a complete waste of human life. Drinking is the choice of the person doing it, the law is clear and simple for me.  If a checkpoint saves some innocent child from being hit by a drunk driver, I'll give up a few minutes of my day.
Sammy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sammy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2007 at 12:24am

I've never seen a checkpoint on a highway, only service roads.

Generally, it is the drunk driver's fault (and by generally, I mean almost all the time)

Seriously, I really don't know why you care about something that usually takes less than 10 minutes.

If pulling over hundreds to arrest two gets both those drivers off the road, I believe that it is well worth it.

Your perception of police officers is wrong. They are not all crooked.

I don't like that mentality. Should we phone tap 300 million Americans to catch a few terrorists? No.

Should we check every single driver on a road because there MIGHT be a drunk driver? No

The National Highway Traffic and Safety Administration in August released data on alcohol-related deaths in 2003 and 2004. Last year saw a decline in fatalities, and most of the drop occurred in states that don't use sobriety checkpoints.

That led the American Beverage Institute, a Washington, D.C.-based restaurant industry group, to proclaim checkpoints as an ineffective method in preventing alcohol fatalities.

"There were 411 fewer deaths in 2004, 394 of which were in nonroadblock states," said John Doyle, executive director of ABI. "It's a startling finding when you look at it through that filter."

California is one of 39 states that use checkpoints to prevent and catch drunken drivers. It also had 14 more fatalities in 2004 than 2003. All 11 states that don't use checkpoints -- among them Oregon and Washington -- reported a decrease in alcohol-related deaths.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 12>
  Share Topic