Forum Home Forum Home > News And Views > Thoughts and Opinions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What are your thoughts on DUI check point

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 12>
Author
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
What AM I smoking?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bunkered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2007 at 12:31am
Hrm...
Looks like that's why Carl didn't want to hook it up with some statistics...
carl_the_sniper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - 7/29, Bad Linky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carl_the_sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2007 at 12:50am
Originally posted by Sammy Sammy wrote:

Originally posted by carl_the_sniper carl_the_sniper wrote:

Originally posted by Bunkered Bunkered wrote:

Originally posted by gardy90 gardy90 wrote:

if you havent done anything wrong then dont worry about it. would you rather have a mild delay or be dead...

Honestly, what makes you think you'd be any more dead than if there were no checkpoints? You're more likely to be involved in a car crash not on the highway, but on surface roads. I've never seen a checkpoint on a sidestreet.

I really think it's funny that every time someone gets killed by a drunk driver, it's automatically the drunk person's fault. Shouldn't whoever pulled out in front of the drunk guy and got t-boned have been paying attention to other traffic on the road?
I'm not justifying drunk driving or anything, but people really just need to pay more attention while driving. When you stop at a light, look both ways. I don't care if the light turn green, that doesn't mean some jackass isn't flying down the road with his lights off, running red lights.

The "If you're doing nothing wrong, then don't worry about it," is BS.
I make sure I obey all traffic laws specifically so I don't have to talk to the police. Why? Because I don't trust them not to come up with some BS charge and throw it at me. Even if it is just an inconvenience and you're on your way... Why? I shouldn't be inconvenienced by those who are put there to protect me.

If you see some guy driving drunk, pull him over. Don't stop hundreds of people in hopes of catching 1-2 people (who most likely wouldn't have crashed into anyone anyways).

I've never seen a checkpoint on a highway, only service roads.

Generally, it is the drunk driver's fault (and by generally, I mean almost all the time)

Seriously, I really don't know why you care about something that usually takes less than 10 minutes.

If pulling over hundreds to arrest two gets both those drivers off the road, I believe that it is well worth it.

Your perception of police officers is wrong. They are not all crooked.

I don't like that mentality. Should we phone tap 300 million Americans to catch a few terrorists? No. Should we check every single driver on a road because there MIGHT be a drunk driver? No

Might be a drunk driver?
The fact is that there ARE drunk drivers.

Hrm...
Looks like that's why Carl didn't want to hook it up with some statistics...

First thing, I don't give a crap about that for these reasons:

-Either coincidence or other reasons but the actual statistic part of that quote sounded iffy at best.

-It was proclaimed ineffective by the american beverage institute. That's about as reliable as a department of cattle farmers claiming that shooting cows to death doesn't hurt them.

-It was a one year trend and was probably a fluke.

Secondly: I said that statistics weren't necessary and they aren't.

Do you think that they don't catch drunk drivers?
Do you think that drunk driving doesn't kill?
Do you not think that there are drunk drivers on the road?

Go ahead, answer yes to any of those questions.

Finally: Don't act like I was trying to dodge the question. I answered it straight up when you asked it and I stand by my answer.

<just say no to unnecessarily sexualized sigs>
Sammy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sammy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2007 at 12:57am
Well I can guarantee that there are terrorists amongst the 300 million Americans. Does that make it justified to tap all Americans phones because there are some terrorists? Not hardly..

Quote A three-year study by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration shows that DUI roadblocks — and corresponding publicity — help reduce the incidence of DUI around the times they are set up. But the effect is often limited.

A much more useful method involves "conducting more frequent waves of enforcement," the report states.

Pensacola News Journal

Quote COLUMBUS, OH (2007-11-19) Ohio is one of 40 states that use sobriety checkpoints to screen for drunk drivers. But a group representing the restaurant industry says Ohio's sobriety checkpoints are ineffective. The American Beverage Institute says checkpoints caught fewer than one percent of people driving under the influence. They say saturation or roving police patrols are far more efficient.

The American Beverage Institute analyzed statistics gathered by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. Sarah Longwell is the beverage institute's managing director.

"Only one-third of one percent of drivers stopped at sobriety checkpoints were actually charged with DUIs," Longwell says. "It hardly justifies the tax dollars spent on them every year."
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carl_the_sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2007 at 1:08am
Originally posted by Sammy Sammy wrote:

Well I can guarantee that there are terrorists amongst the 300 million Americans. Does that make it justified to tap all Americans phones because there are some terrorists? Not hardly..
Quote <span ="article">A three-year study by the National Highway
Traffic Safety Administration shows that DUI roadblocks — and
corresponding publicity — help reduce the incidence of DUI around the
times they are set up. But the effect is often limited.A much more useful method involves "conducting more frequent waves of enforcement," the report states.
Pensacola News Journal
Quote </span>COLUMBUS, OH (2007-11-19) Ohio is one of 40 states that use sobriety
checkpoints to screen for drunk drivers. But a group representing the
restaurant industry says Ohio's sobriety checkpoints are ineffective.
The American Beverage Institute says checkpoints caught fewer than one
percent of people driving under the influence. They say saturation or
roving police patrols are far more efficient.The
American Beverage Institute analyzed statistics gathered by the
National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. Sarah Longwell is the
beverage institute's managing director."Only one-third of one
percent of drivers stopped at sobriety checkpoints were actually
charged with DUIs," Longwell says. "It hardly justifies the tax dollars
spent on them every year."

Funny, but the people that were saved from those .33 of a percent being off the roads didn't factor into that statistic.

Furthermore, that second one seems to take a more economical standpoint to the issue. A third of a percent is probably not bad compared to the percent of people who were actually driving drunk.

it also didn't cover the people who knew there would be a check and decided not to drive home drunk.

Edited by carl_the_sniper - 03 December 2007 at 1:11am
Gatyr View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Strike 1 - Begging for strikes

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gatyr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2007 at 1:09am

if you havent done anything wrong then dont worry about it. would you rather have a mild delay or be dead...

Honestly, what makes you think you'd be any more dead than if there were no checkpoints? You're more likely to be involved in a car crash not on the highway, but on surface roads. I've never seen a checkpoint on a sidestreet.

I really think it's funny that every time someone gets killed by a drunk driver, it's automatically the drunk person's fault. Shouldn't whoever pulled out in front of the drunk guy and got t-boned have been paying attention to other traffic on the road?
I'm not justifying drunk driving or anything, but people really just need to pay more attention while driving. When you stop at a light, look both ways. I don't care if the light turn green, that doesn't mean some jackass isn't flying down the road with his lights off, running red lights.

Haha. Emperical proof marijuana deteriorates logic and reasoning in the brain?

lol. To think that argument does anything but take away from your credibility is silly. Acting like it is the fault of a sober driver because they aren't making every precation possible to avoid a drunk driver is ridiculous, especially when all of the fault lies on the drunk driver. The fact remains that had that person not been driving while intoxicated, the risk of something like that happening is exponentially lower.

Not to mention it matters little whether or not the drunk drivers affect us at all, but rather if they affect anyone with their intoxication. This isn't like privacy, and even if it was, DWI is endangering other people, and warrants police action, regardless of how much some stoner dislikes talking to cops, or how some mis-guided individual views these stops as infringing on personal privacy.

Question for those opposed to the check-points: Is it wrong for border patrol to check incoming cars for illegal aliens?

Bunkered View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
What AM I smoking?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bunkered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2007 at 1:11am
The question isn't whether or not there are drunk drivers Carl, but whether I should be stopped when I'm not drunk and following all traffic laws.

And I tend to agree with the idea that having a bunch of po's sitting in one place doesn't do anywhere near as much as having a bunch of po's roaming about seperately. Cover more ground that way, basic concept.
There's no need to stop an entire road to check everyone.
Chances are that if you can't see a guy swerving around, braking oddly, or driving extremely aggressively (even if he is drunk), he's not going to crash.
If you think every drunk driver is going to automatically smash into someone you're wrong. LOTS of people drive drunk, and they usually don't get in accidents. But when they do it tends to get publicized a lot.

I'll just throw a random speculation out that I bet just as many people get in car accidents NOT involving alcohol as the ones that do.
Gatyr View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Strike 1 - Begging for strikes

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gatyr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2007 at 1:13am

I'll just throw a random speculation out that I bet just as many people get in car accidents NOT involving alcohol as the ones that do.

What does that change?

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carl_the_sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2007 at 1:18am

The question isn't whether or not there are drunk drivers Carl, but whether I should be stopped when I'm not drunk and following all traffic laws.

And I tend to agree with the idea that having a bunch of po's sitting in one place doesn't do anywhere near as much as having a bunch of po's roaming about seperately. Cover more ground that way, basic concept.
There's no need to stop an entire road to check everyone.
Chances are that if you can't see a guy swerving around, braking oddly, or driving extremely aggressively (even if he is drunk), he's not going to crash.
If you think every drunk driver is going to automatically smash into someone you're wrong. LOTS of people drive drunk, and they usually don't get in accidents. But when they do it tends to get publicized a lot.

Above post is buried a bit.

Probably many more sober related accidents but does that make drunk driving allright? Of course there are many more sober people driving than drunk drivers but how does that make any point?

Is it wrong for it to be publicised alot? If you see a picture of a guy on the news who got his brand new car taken away, aren't you going to be more likely to think twich before driving drunk?

Having a road block that means you are 100% going to get searched is a much better deterrance than more cops on the road.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carl_the_sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2007 at 1:19am
Originally posted by Gatyr Gatyr wrote:

What does that change?

Exactly.
Bunkered View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
What AM I smoking?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bunkered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2007 at 1:29am
I think the basic difference between our views on this is that you're Canadian, and I'm from the US.
I have no doubt in my mind that you can deter (or at least detour) drunk drivers with a roadblock. My problem is with the fact that it is an unwarranted search, a waste of police resources/taxpayer money, and a waste of everyone's time.

Get those police out watching for the drunk drivers. If you can't tell that they're drunk driving either:
A) They aren't (vast majority)
B) They are, but are doing a good enough job that it shouldn't matter IMO.

I've contemplated the idea of being able to take a road test drunk in order to be able to have a higher legal BAC. I am perfectly capable of driving after 1 beer thanks...
Sammy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sammy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2007 at 1:39am

Question for those opposed to the check-points: Is it wrong for border patrol to check incoming cars for illegal aliens?

No, I'm against checkpoints because they are ineffective and costly. Having cops roam would be much more effective and not subject hundreds of people to meaningless searches. Border searches are a bit different..

Random roaming patrols wouldn't work for a border entry..
Bunkered View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
What AM I smoking?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bunkered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2007 at 1:45am

What does that change?

Exactly.

It doesn't change anything really.
But it underlines my point that alcohol isn't the only factor that caused those accidents. It's more about people being stupid than drunk.
Mehs View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
An Hero

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mehs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2007 at 3:03am
I drink and drive all the time, and I can drive just fine!!  Nothing wrong with it, pansies.  They shouldn't have DUI checkpoints so I can get away with it more easily.  Oh well though...
[IMG]http://i27.tinypic.com/1538fbc.jpg">
Squeeze Box
Da Hui View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Guested, 9/13 Inappropiate post content

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Da Hui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2007 at 8:05am
I made this topic before

Shoulda used the search button n00b
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carl_the_sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2007 at 8:20am

I think the basic difference between our views on this is that you're Canadian, and I'm from the US.
I have no doubt in my mind that you can deter (or at least detour) drunk drivers with a roadblock. My problem is with the fact that it is an unwarranted search, a waste of police resources/taxpayer money, and a waste of everyone's time.

Get those police out watching for the drunk drivers. If you can't tell that they're drunk driving either:
A) They aren't (vast majority)
B) They are, but are doing a good enough job that it shouldn't matter IMO.

I've contemplated the idea of being able to take a road test drunk in order to be able to have a higher legal BAC. I am perfectly capable of driving after 1 beer thanks...

Yes, it certainly must be where we are from. As a Canadain, I am concerned about saving lives. As an American, you are concerned about your rights possibly being violated so that you have something to complain about.

What does that change?

Exactly.

It doesn't change anything really.
But it underlines my point that alcohol isn't the only factor that caused those accidents. It's more about people being stupid than drunk.

Ummm... no it doesn't and no it isin't.

Here it is: If you can find me a reliable statistic that shows how checkpoints have never, ever saved a life, I will leave this thread.
Skillet42565 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1: Taunting Mods on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skillet42565 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2007 at 8:25am

Yes, it certainly must be where we are from. As a Canadain, I am concerned about saving lives. As an American, you are concerned about your rights possibly being violated so that you have something to complain about.

Facepalm.
Yeoman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yeoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2007 at 8:26am

Just wait until you lose someone close to you who was killed by a drunk driver.  Maybe then you won't complain about them.

rednekk98 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dead man...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rednekk98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2007 at 9:06am
I'm convinced that checkpoints are more of a PR and revenue generating thing than actually a useful deterrent. A more interesting statistic would be the average BAC of the violators. As I said before, in this state, checkpoints are usually held on weekend nights near college towns or entertainment districts. Blow a .09 after having three beers in a two hour period, get your car impounded and go to jail. In the meantime while the police are running the checkpoint, drunk retards are drag racing elsewhere in town.

I'm not sure about sobriety checkpoints, but in a normal stop in this state, you must first fail a field sobriety test before they breathalize you.  If you do fine on the field sobriety test, you should not be too impaired to drive no matter you BAC. Roving police patrols would be more likely to target abnormal driving behavior and would probably be a more efficient use of manpower. If I get stopped at a checkpoint an am not even intoxicated the police are probably going to find something wrong with my car to cite me for(ripped windshield wiper, registration sticker in wrong corner of the plate) in this state. I for one have a problem with getting stopped, searched, and interrogated about my nightly travels when I've done nothing wrong, and since these are usually held late at night, now I'm going to be late to go home and sleep. Driving when you are sleep deprived is worse than driving drunk.
jmac3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Official Box Hoister

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmac3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2007 at 11:56am
I think we can all agree that roaming patrols would be a better,  more economical way to catch drunk drivers, but that is not the point of this thread.

The point was if checkpoints take away privacy an are an inconvenience. They are an inconvenience, but how do they take away privacy? These checkpoints can stop even one drunk driver who may or may not crash into someone else.

As to Rednekk. Someone blowing a .09 is still "drunk". If they are willing to drive at that who says they won't drive after being wrecked? Slap them with a DUI now so next time they have no license.

Also that statistic from 2003-2004 of states with checkpoints vs. states without. Look at the states involved. California with, Oregon and Washington without.  California is like the size of those two states put together and then some.  California probably goes up and down on drunk driving death rates every year.
Que pasa?

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carl_the_sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2007 at 3:39pm
Originally posted by Skillet42565 Skillet42565 wrote:

Facepalm.

Is it really a facepalm moment?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 12>
  Share Topic