What are your thoughts on DUI check point

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Ticalxx421 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
guested. Doesn’t learn.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ticalxx421 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2007 at 4:34pm
Originally posted by Bolt3 Bolt3 wrote:

They only run checkpoints in the middle of the damn night to appeal to everyones schedules.

Uhh no. I have seen plenty during the day.
[IMG]http://i14.tinypic.com/73e0l8j.jpg">
     Represent!
carl_the_sniper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - 7/29, Bad Linky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carl_the_sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2007 at 4:34pm
Originally posted by Ticalxx421 Ticalxx421 wrote:

Originally posted by carl_the_sniper carl_the_sniper wrote:

1. I never said anything about anyone getting killed.2. In my eyes. Susan tries to come off as a prefect person who is never wrong. Got a problem with it, then that's you.3. "Thrown in jail for 0.01 over? no" You went through all this just to agree with what I think. Thank you.4. "
Well, you put her specifically in that situation. If she doesn't drink when she goes to a bar, than what is your point?"I don't quite understand that question. I also said nothing about a bar.

1) You gave a hypothetical, so did I, what is your point?

<span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 255);">But yours has nothing to do with what I said.</span> 2) No she doesn't
<span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 255);">Since when can you tell what I think?</span>
3) Is there something wrong with me agreeing with you?
<span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 255);">No, did I ever say there was</span>.
4) <span style="color: rgb(255, 0, 0);">She said that she would never be in that situaton</span>. What is your point of continuing the situation if it doesn't apply anymore? <span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 255);">Wow. I wish I could tell the future. I said I would never go to jail, but I was wrong.</span>

1) It certainly does. Explain why it doesn't.

2)When did I say that I could tell what you think?

4) You obviously didn't take measures to prevent that. She does take measures to prevent drunk driving. What did you go to jail for again?
<just say no to unnecessarily sexualized sigs>
Bolt3 View Drop Down
What?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bolt3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2007 at 4:30pm
They only run checkpoints in the middle of the damn night to appeal to everyones schedules.

You get fired for being late to a night job? Get a real job.

EDIT: *MOST checkpoints.

Edited by Bolt3 - 06 December 2007 at 4:43pm
<Removed sig for violation of Clause 4 of the New Sig Rules>
Gold Member
Gold Member
guested. Doesn’t learn.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ticalxx421 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2007 at 4:27pm
Originally posted by carl_the_sniper carl_the_sniper wrote:

1. I never said anything about anyone getting killed.2. In my eyes. Susan tries to come off as a prefect person who is never wrong. Got a problem with it, then that's you.3. "Thrown in jail for 0.01 over? no" You went through all this just to agree with what I think. Thank you.4. "
Well, you put her specifically in that situation. If she doesn't drink when she goes to a bar, than what is your point?"I don't quite understand that question. I also said nothing about a bar.

But yours has nothing to do with what I said.
2) No she doesn't
Since when can you tell what I think?

No, did I ever say there was.

4) She said that she would never be in that situaton. What is your point of continuing the situation if it doesn't apply anymore? Wow. I wish I could tell the future. I said I would never go to jail, but I was wrong.

Edited by Ticalxx421 - 06 December 2007 at 4:29pm
     Represent!
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carl_the_sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2007 at 4:21pm

2) No she doesn't

4) She said that she would never be in that situaton. What is your point of continuing the situation if it doesn't apply anymore?
Gold Member
Gold Member
guested. Doesn’t learn.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ticalxx421 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2007 at 4:03pm
1. I never said anything about anyone getting killed.
2. In my eyes. Susan tries to come off as a prefect person who is never wrong. Got a problem with it, then that's you.
3. "Thrown in jail for 0.01 over? no" You went through all this just to agree with what I think. Thank you.
4. "

Well, you put her specifically in that situation. If she doesn't drink when she goes to a bar, than what is your point?"

I don't quite understand that question. I also said nothing about a bar.

Edited by Ticalxx421 - 06 December 2007 at 4:04pm
     Represent!
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carl_the_sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2007 at 3:57pm

Originally posted by Susan Storm Susan Storm wrote:

Originally posted by Da Hui Da Hui wrote:

I can't wait till they get their licenses revoked. 

See, that's another part of the problem.  Drunk driving shouldn't lead to license revocation, but actual penalties.

Most of Northern Europe now has laws where you face jail time and massive fines for first-time offenders, and it just gets more exciting after that.  I think we should be taking notes.

So, say someone had a few to drink and something serious popped up like a death in the family(remember this is hypothetical) he hops into his car and gets pulled over. Now because said person made the mistake to drive you think they should be tossed in jail and or fined a huge amount? I think that is kinda harsh for a first time offense. Getting your license taken away, and a fine is punishment enough in most cases. However if you have been caught more then once, then I can see a harsher penalty put in order.

And If I get depressed and kill someone, I should be free to go?

I'm not even going to argue with you. All I hope is that you screw up once in your life and get shafted hard for it.

If susan gets depressed and kills someone, I'm sure she would expect a jail sentence.

Absolutely people make mistakes.  And the punishment should fit the crime.

If my "screwup" is that I like to put makeup on while driving, and as a result I plow into a schoolyard, killing a bunch of kids - is it your position that I should just get my license suspended?

After all, it was just an honest mistake.

So instead of just dropping my argument. You take the obvious route that most arrogant people take. You try and get in the last word. You took my scenario the wrong way and twisted it into something it wasn't. I will try and make it a bit clearer for you. Say "You" Miss perfect have a few drinks when you are out with some friends then you get a call from whoever saying your mom is in the hospital. You are not wasted drunk, You are only say .09 which I believe is only .01 more then the legal driving limit here in Canada(I don't no nor do I care what it is where you live). So you hop into the  car to go see what is up. On your way, you get pulled over for something like out of date sticker on your license plate. Do you feel you should be thrown in jail?Now don't get me wrong, if you blow over the limit by a ungodly amount then yes. There should be a harsh penalty. But for only blowing 0.01 over, come on. Unless you are a repeat offender, or blow way over I think you should only get your license suspended.

Why would try to argue if you assume that someone is just going to "drop it"?

Did susan ever claim or infer that she was perfect?

Sounds like someone is twisting it themselves...

Thrown in jail for 0.01 over? no.
Fined? Certainly
License suspended? You were obviously drunk enough to be pulled over so maybe epending on the circumstances.

Don't **edited** foot around the question. Do you think you should be thrown in jail for blowing 0.01 over.

I am not dodging anything.  My point is that your hypothetical illustrates the main problem.

There are THREE independent decisions involved in almost all DUI situations (there are some exceptions, of course).  First, you drove your car to someplace, probably expecting that there would be drinking at the other end.  Second, you had one or more drinks, knowing that you had your car with you.  Third, you get in the car drunk.

So - your hypothetical would never happen to me, because if I drive to a bar I don't touch alcohol.  It's that simple.  If I am driving, I don't drink.  At all.

If I drove there with the arrangement that one of my buddies would be the designated driver, then I would drink, but he would not.  Then, when the call came, I would ask him to drive me to the hospital.

If, for some reason, I managed to ignore both of those issues, or I was planning on spending the night like Hysteria suggested, then I would take a cab.  Or I would find somebody else to drive.  Or something.

But I would not place myself in a position of being a public menace just because my mother is in the hospital.  Presumably they have doctors in the hospital - I am merely a spectator.

So, in your hypothetical that would never happen to me, yes - I should absolutely be in jail and have my license revoked and pay a large fine.

Drunk driving does not happen on accident.  It is not a "mistake".  It requires two or three separate and voluntary, intentional, acts.  It does not happen on a whim.  Drunk driving is ALWAYS a deliberate, intentional, disregard for the public safety, and should be punished accordingly.

This proves my "miss perfect comment" Because you could never make a mistake. I never said you where in a bar. Yes you drove, with intentions of taking a cab home. Cabs take a long time and you are in a rush, and you don't even really feel the effects of the alcohol. If you think some one should go to jail for being 0.01 over then that is your opinion, and that's cool. However I think that is absolutely retarded.

Well, you put her specifically in that situation. If she doesn't drink when she goes to a bar, than what is your point?
Gold Member
Gold Member
guested. Doesn’t learn.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ticalxx421 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2007 at 3:33pm

Don't **edited** foot around the question. Do you think you should be thrown in jail for blowing 0.01 over.

I am not dodging anything.  My point is that your hypothetical illustrates the main problem.

There are THREE independent decisions involved in almost all DUI situations (there are some exceptions, of course).  First, you drove your car to someplace, probably expecting that there would be drinking at the other end.  Second, you had one or more drinks, knowing that you had your car with you.  Third, you get in the car drunk.

So - your hypothetical would never happen to me, because if I drive to a bar I don't touch alcohol.  It's that simple.  If I am driving, I don't drink.  At all.

If I drove there with the arrangement that one of my buddies would be the designated driver, then I would drink, but he would not.  Then, when the call came, I would ask him to drive me to the hospital.

If, for some reason, I managed to ignore both of those issues, or I was planning on spending the night like Hysteria suggested, then I would take a cab.  Or I would find somebody else to drive.  Or something.

But I would not place myself in a position of being a public menace just because my mother is in the hospital.  Presumably they have doctors in the hospital - I am merely a spectator.

So, in your hypothetical that would never happen to me, yes - I should absolutely be in jail and have my license revoked and pay a large fine.

Drunk driving does not happen on accident.  It is not a "mistake".  It requires two or three separate and voluntary, intentional, acts.  It does not happen on a whim.  Drunk driving is ALWAYS a deliberate, intentional, disregard for the public safety, and should be punished accordingly.

This proves my "miss perfect comment" Because you could never make a mistake.

I never said you where in a bar. Yes you drove, with intentions of taking a cab home. Cabs take a long time and you are in a rush, and you don't even really feel the effects of the alcohol.

If you think some one should go to jail for being 0.01 over then that is your opinion, and that's cool. However I think that is absolutely retarded.
     Represent!
Susan Storm View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Shot at Love Contestant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2007 at 3:25pm

"No society can surely be flourishing and happy, of which the far greater part of the members are poor and miserable."
Gold Member
Gold Member
Shot at Love Contestant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2007 at 3:16pm

Originally posted by Hysteria Hysteria wrote:

It takes me 2-3 light beers to even feel anything, much less affect any type of motor skills.

You may not feel it, but the science is pretty clear - your motor skills are impaired even after 1 drink.  Part of the danger is that you don't realize that you are impaired.

"No society can surely be flourishing and happy, of which the far greater part of the members are poor and miserable."
Gold Member
Gold Member
guested. Doesn’t learn.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ticalxx421 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2007 at 3:15pm

Say "You" Miss perfect have a few drinks when you are out with some friends then you get a call from whoever saying your mom is in the hospital. You are not wasted drunk, You are only say .09 which I believe is only .01 more then the legal driving limit here in Canada(I don't no nor do I care what it is where you live). So you hop into the  car to go see what is up. On your way, you get pulled over for something like out of date sticker on your license plate. Do you feel you should be thrown in jail?

How was I planning on getting home at the end of my little party?

Represent!
Hysteria View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 2 - Language, 9/25

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hysteria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2007 at 3:14pm

Say "You" Miss perfect have a few drinks when you are out with some friends then you get a call from whoever saying your mom is in the hospital. You are not wasted drunk, You are only say .09 which I believe is only .01 more then the legal driving limit here in Canada(I don't no nor do I care what it is where you live). So you hop into the  car to go see what is up. On your way, you get pulled over for something like out of date sticker on your license plate. Do you feel you should be thrown in jail?

You could have been planning on staying the night?
Hysteria View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 2 - Language, 9/25

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hysteria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2007 at 3:13pm
Originally posted by Skillet42565 Skillet42565 wrote:

Are there people who think that driving drunk isn't a bad idea?  Wow.

Oh, absolutely it is a bad idea.  I never said I get in the truck when I can't even stand.  I never said it was a good idea to drive 50 miles after drinking 15 beers.  I am making a whole new argument - that of driving whilst being mildly intoxicated, that being 3 - 5 beers over an extended period of time.

Sure, I saw all the stuff Susan posted about .01 BAC being terrible, but to those who think that, have you ever had a drink of alcohol?  It takes me 2-3 light beers to even feel anything, much less affect any type of motor skills.
Gold Member
Gold Member
Shot at Love Contestant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2007 at 3:12pm

Gold Member
Gold Member
guested. Doesn’t learn.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ticalxx421 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2007 at 3:09pm

If my "screwup" is that I like to put makeup on while driving, and as a result I plow into a schoolyard, killing a bunch of kids - is it your position that I should just get my license suspended?

So instead of just dropping my argument. You take the obvious route that most arrogant people take. You try and get in the last word. You took my scenario the wrong way and twisted it into something it wasn't. I will try and make it a bit clearer for you.

Now don't get me wrong, if you blow over the limit by a ungodly amount then yes. There should be a harsh penalty. But for only blowing 0.01 over, come on. Unless you are a repeat offender, or blow way over I think you should only get your license suspended.

Edited by Ticalxx421 - 06 December 2007 at 3:10pm
     Represent!
Gold Member
Gold Member
Shot at Love Contestant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2007 at 2:55pm

Gold Member
Gold Member
guested. Doesn’t learn.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ticalxx421 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2007 at 2:49pm
I'm not even going to argue with you. All I hope is that you screw up once in your life and get shafted hard for it.
     Represent!
Gold Member
Gold Member
Shot at Love Contestant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2007 at 2:45pm

You are super ass harsh. You need a hug or a flower. PEOPLE CAN MAKE MISTAKES!

Where is the mistake?  He didn't know he was drinking alcohol?  There was no mistake here, only dumbass.

In fact, "alcohol is no excuse" is one of the oldest principles of legal theory.  Plato wrote about it - he actually recommended that all offenses committed under the influence should carry DOUBLE penalty.

Drunk driving is really, really dangerous to everybody on the road.  It is not some small thing to joke about.

On the punishment issue - here is a quick blurb describing a $71,000 fine issued for DUI in Norway a couple of years ago:  http://www.dui.com/dui-library/dui-shorts/dui-fine (BTW, the legal limit in Norway is 0.02)

In Sweden, DUI lands you in jail for six months to two years.

Both of those assume nobody got hurt - if you actually injure somebody, you are going away for a long time.

Gold Member
Gold Member
guested. Doesn’t learn.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ticalxx421 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2007 at 2:35pm

So, just because I am sad I am allowed to become a public menace?

If I was the one dying, and I was driving to the hospital, then maybe - but what does my grandma's death have to do with anything?

Besides, there are existing structures in all laws that allow for excuse/necessity (like speeding to the hospital).  Those same excuse/necessity defenses apply to DUI cases as well. But I can promise you that "grandma died" does not qualify.

I your hypothetical, absolutely you belong in jail.

You are super ass harsh. You need a hug or a flower. PEOPLE CAN MAKE MISTAKES!
     Represent!
Gold Member
Gold Member
Shot at Love Contestant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2007 at 2:34pm

Originally posted by procarbinefreak procarbinefreak wrote:

i'll just order water, in a short glass, with a lime. 

That's funny and sad at the same time.  You shouldn't feel the need to pretend that you are boozing.  This is where the attitude adjustment is needed.

I have gotten so many ugly glares from bartenders over the years for getting water.  Very bad, and contributes to the problem.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 12>
  Share Topic