Tippmann Paintball Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Paintball Equipment > Upgrades and Customizing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

a question about red dot sights

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ilford Rule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: a question about red dot sights
    Posted: 24 December 2007 at 7:31pm
i just got this sight (NcSTAR D4B). I really, really like it.
I have a question though. Will a direct hit to the lens destroy the sight?
If so, does anyone know of a good way to protect it?
CPro (w/ polished internals)
14" Bigshot
BT SBS
Various Rails
NcSTAR D4B
Macro
AA 68/45

CCI Phantom
45 Grips
carl_the_sniper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - 7/29, Bad Linky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carl_the_sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 December 2007 at 1:52am
It really shouldn't

Those things are designed to take the recoil of real rifles. A paintball shouldn't come close to this.

They are a pain in the ass to clean though.
Ceesman762 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 December 2007 at 9:36am
a hit will more than likely knock it off your zero point.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carl_the_sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 December 2007 at 10:34am
Originally posted by Ceesman762 Ceesman762 wrote:

a hit will more than likely knock it off your zero point.

Probably not.

Plus you don't need to sight it anyways really.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 December 2007 at 4:12pm

oh really? I know I am very new to paintball, but I do have those red dot optics on other things, if you hit it hard enough, say at the speed of a paintball, it will through of the point of aim. even if it is mounted to a Picatinny rail. care to tell me why?

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carl_the_sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 December 2007 at 4:23pm
Originally posted by Ceesman762 Ceesman762 wrote:

oh really? I know I am very new to paintball, but I do have those red dot optics on other things, if you hit it hard enough, say at the speed of a paintball, it will through of the point of aim. even if it is mounted to a Picatinny rail. care to tell me why?

Why what...?
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 December 2007 at 4:57pm
why a direct hit on an optic won't disrupt it's point of aim and impact?
Ilford Rule View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ilford Rule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 December 2007 at 9:26pm
because its a reflex sight, and the point of aim is adjusted by adjusting where the laser/collimator projects the reticle onto the lens. but thanks, the relevant part was being told that a paintball impact won't damage the lens. unfortunately, I can't get it to sight quite properly. its mounted on the side of my marker, and I can't get the reticle far enough to the right (the bottom relative to the sight). i might try and find a way to shim it. any ideas?

thanks.
14" Bigshot
BT SBS
Various Rails
NcSTAR D4B
Macro
AA 68/45

CCI Phantom
45 Grips
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2007 at 10:07am
You may have to make your own and shim the bottom or the rail, not the optic or it's mount.  You can find shim stock steel at home depot, hardware store, or a local sheet metal supplier.  use 0.005" steel or brass.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ilford Rule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2007 at 12:56pm
thanks for the advice on shim material. ill look into some. what I might do is mill some weaver into the standard dovetail on my CPro, as i noticed the dovetail is the same size as the "dovetail" of a weaver rail. hopefully the linkage arm is deep enough inside for me to do this. id do this just because the elevation of the reticle isnt a big problem, but rather the side-to-side (windage i s'pose) alignment, which i find much harder to compensate for mentally. ive got a while to figure this out, the woods field i play at is closed for the next couple of weeks, so im playing indoors for now. with the pace of the indoor games, i dont bother with the sight.
14" Bigshot
BT SBS
Various Rails
NcSTAR D4B
Macro
AA 68/45

CCI Phantom
45 Grips
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2007 at 4:12pm

You may want to use your red dot like a shot gun mount.  Rather than point of aimpoint of impact.  Zero it so it hits an area, say 8-10 diameter at a given distance. How much have you adjusted your windage? is it maxed or do you stil have some play?  When optics get mounted to a rifle or shotgun, bore sighting is involved.  Without bore sighting, it is a lot shooting and adjusting. You might be able to find a bore sight kit (Walmart, Dick's sporting goods, Sport's Authority) that will fit into the muzzle of the barrel. One problem, $$$$$$.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carl_the_sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2007 at 5:24pm
You are realizing the problem of sights in paintball.

It can't be sighted accurately enough to be relied upon.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carl_the_sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2007 at 5:26pm

Not to mention though, you will not be able to see the path of the ball most of the time so you won't know if it is hitting a branch or something.

Walking in your shots is the tried and true method of aiming.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ilford Rule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2007 at 5:55pm
carl_the_sniper, thats not the issue. the problem is that because I have it mounted to the left side of the marker, even maxing the windage adjustments (which are actually the elevation adjustments because it's sideways) still leaves the reticle well away from the plane of the barrel. if it were top-mounted, I wouldn't have this issue, however I don't have the rail necessary to do that.
14" Bigshot
BT SBS
Various Rails
NcSTAR D4B
Macro
AA 68/45

CCI Phantom
45 Grips
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2007 at 11:11pm
Originally posted by carl_the_sniper carl_the_sniper wrote:

Actually, they can; as long as the user remembers a few basic things:

• The trajectory of paintballs is more susceptible to environmental influences.  This means two or three shots should be fired at ranges that would only require a single shot from a real gun.
  • Non-backspin barrels produce an arced trajectory.  The user must chose where in that arc he/she wants the red dot to intersect the target.  (I.e. if the sight is zeroed in at a short range the dot will be higher than the strike of the paintball at longer ranges.)
  • Sights are very handy (when properly set up) for getting quick initial eliminations during ambushes.   Once the element of surprise is lost, the value of the sight can diminish rapidly.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2007 at 12:59pm
Ah there is one little flaw to that sight.  It's designed to be mounted on the top of a reciever.  I have some friends on other forums looking into side mounting it, please be aware that they are mounting it on AR 15's or M4's. It's more of a reflex sight than it is a true red dot optic. You can walk your shots and have enough view to see what else is going on in front of you/sight picture.  does it allow to change to type of retical from dot to cross hairs?
ShortyBP View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

A G F Y

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShortyBP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2007 at 7:46pm
Should have four choices... small dot, large dot, cross hairs and dot-within-circle.

I had one just like it mounted on my AR15 for a short while... and I'll probably end up mounting it on the Ultimak rail of my M1 Carbine. Nice small, inexpensive sight.
Handled the recoil of 5.56 just fine. I wouldn't say it's as nice as an EOTech or Aimpoint... not even comparible... but it does the job so long as you keep in mind how much you paid for it.

As for protecting it from a paintball hit... not sure of an effective way. To be honest, I'd be less concerned with the actual lense and more concerned with goo getting into the internals. It's not an all-weather sight by any stretch.
Impact-wise... it seems like it would easily handle any direct paintball hit.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ilford Rule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2007 at 11:35pm
alright thanks. yeah, I paid 60 bucks, so im not too worried. maybe Ill eventually get an EOTech, but that would make my sight worth more than my marker . it is actually waterproof (according to the manufacturer ), but I still think I'll try to keep it clean. Its sealed up pretty nicely though.

I just got a flat top picatinny rail and mounted it to the 3/8" dovetail on the offset, and now the sight is in a perfect position. trouble is, because I have it to the side its only accurate in the horizontal plane at one distance. but its worth that minor inconvenience to have it mounted where it is, its in a very comfortable position, and im sure Ill quickly learn how much to compensate for the left-right direction.
14" Bigshot
BT SBS
Various Rails
NcSTAR D4B
Macro
AA 68/45

CCI Phantom
45 Grips
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2008 at 11:37am
Please post on how it works on your M1 carbine.  I'd like to see how it handles.  I had on one my AR and it worked great to 100 yards.
ghille baller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghille baller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2008 at 3:59pm

what u put that sight on a tippman 98 cause that sight is like so cool lookin man, betr than my old one... i think.

"Damn...Did that just happen?"
-George, a bewildered teammate.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic