Tippmann Paintball Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Paintball Equipment > Upgrades and Customizing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Vortex Mod and Lightning Rod

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notom66866 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vortex Mod and Lightning Rod
    Posted: 20 March 2008 at 9:40pm
A few questions. Will I see a real difference with a vortex or is just for hardcore ballers, and second could someone please explain to me what a lightning rod does. Is there Perhaps better mods that should be put on first? I have an A5 with e-grip and a 16" barrel already.
t_hop View Drop Down
Streike 1, 5/16 filter dodge/inapp. link

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_hop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2008 at 11:07pm

I know there's another option that does the same thing and it's not t-tech i think its made by tippmann. They call theirs the tornado mod and fire-rod but it looks and is described to be the same thing, here's a link.

http://stores.channeladvisor.com/pntball/items/item.aspx?ite mid=1478210

i was looking at that stuff too, and you can get the tornado mod and fire-rod as a package for the price of just the vortex mod. i dunno how much better they well perform.

when you type cyclone mod in google under the shopping tab it brings up both of these and by clickin around you see that they look like the same product.

Edited by t_hop - 22 March 2008 at 12:36am
thejudge View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thejudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2008 at 1:46am

The vortex is a ratchet that is made from aluminum instead of plastic.  It is used to make the cyclone able to cycle faster.  Another alternative to it is the JCS Jet click.  It is the same concept but you dont have to cut any springs (like you do with the vortex) and it is less expensive.  The lightening rod is lighter and seals better to help the cyclone cycle faster.  To add to it there is the QEPH.  This allows the extra gas that holds the cyclone back and allows it to cycle faster yet again.  All in all you can get it up to about 25-28 bps with all 3 mods.  Its not necessary to have them all but the ratchet is supposed to be good.  I am still running the stock ratchet for 4 or 5 years now.

Stay low, run fast, and hope that paintball doesn't hit your...
motopsycho650 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote motopsycho650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2008 at 7:55am
I bought the vortex kit with the cyclone feed.  I never even used the stock ratchet.

I was sucked in by a bunch of people who said their stock ratchet broke.  I decided I didn't want to deal with that, so I just installed the vortex from the start.  I hadn't heard anyone say the stock rod breaks easily, so I skipped that.  I'm told the vortex & the rod can make your cyclone faster, but I think it's fast enough as is.
t_hop View Drop Down
Streike 1, 5/16 filter dodge/inapp. link

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_hop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2008 at 6:03pm

i heard somewhere, i wish i could remember that the jetclick mod was easier to install because you didn't have to add the springs but it was a little bit stiffer and the vortex had a smoother transition than the jetclick.

i found this a few weeks ago, its a tutorial showing the installation of a vortex mod, its boring but still interesting to see the parts and the differences between the stock parts and the upgrades.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKS6tN6Yt_8

StormyKnight View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormyKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2008 at 7:26pm
That video installation went smoother than my experience.  I did have the benefit of a vise to help press the pins in instead of hammering them, but still this guy has probably done this a lot.
motopsycho650 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote motopsycho650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2008 at 7:01am
Originally posted by StormyKnight StormyKnight wrote:

That video installation went smoother than my experience.  I did have the benefit of a vise to help press the pins in instead of hammering them, but still this guy has probably done this a lot.

A vice???  Be careful with that, you could easily break your parts with that kind of force.  I used a pair of channel-lock pliers to squish the pins into place.  Piece of cake...

I'll have to say, the most disappointing part of both the 98C cylone upgrade, and the vortex kit, was the lack of quality disassembly instructions and/or pictures.  Maybe the A-5 or X-7 come with better info, but the cyclone upgrade kit came with a exploded drawing so small, I needed a magnifying glass just to see it.  The Tech-T vortex & squishy paddles kit came with nothing but a sticker that said, "Lubricate with grease, not oil, to preserve the 1-year warranty"

It's not a very complicated system, but it has a few small parts that much be installed correctly.  I recommend taking a pic of the parts before you take them apart.

Edited by motopsycho650 - 22 March 2008 at 7:17am
StormyKnight View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormyKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2008 at 10:32am

Originally posted by motopsycho650 motopsycho650 wrote:

A vice???

No, no, no, not an immoral or evil habit or practice.  A VISE - any various device, usually having two jaws that may be brought together or separated by means of a screw, lever, or the like, used to hold an object firmly while work is being done on it.

Quote Be careful with that, you could easily break your parts with that kind of force.

Nonsense!  I used it willy-nilly with both eyes closed as fast as I could!!!  And I did it THRICE after having to replace the Lightening Rod with the roller bearing for the one with the brass bushing.

Quote I used a pair of channel-lock pliers to squish the pins into place.  Piece of cake...

I've ruined more things with channel locks than I have with vices, er, I mean VISES!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic