Tippmann Paintball Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Paintball Equipment > Gun Maintenace and Repair
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

98 Custom Mystery Screw

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanTana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 98 Custom Mystery Screw
    Posted: 27 March 2008 at 11:32am

Hi Everybody,

I just purchased a new 98 Custom with A.C.T. and I noticed a screw on the right side of the reciever. It is located just below the two valve lock bolts, behind the trigger, mounted on the bottom of the curved section pointed downward. It is screwed in with a standard screwdriver, not a hex bolt, but when I removed it there is nothing really behind it. I expected a spring to pop out or something like that but appears to be more of an oil hole of some sort. I can't find it on the schematic whatsoever either. The closest thing I can find is what is listed as the shutoff plug for the Response trigger system, but it does not have the Response trigger on it. I was wondering if anyone has noticed this on new markers and what it could be for?

Thanks in advance,

Dan

DanTana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanTana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2008 at 12:24pm

Ok, I've been looking at the schematic of the 98 Custom Pro Response and it shows the hole and shut off plug for the Reponse trigger. I am going to assume that this is for future upgrades to the Response trigger. I read that on product guide for the 98 Custom A.C.T. but it wasn't specific that this is what it was for. I'm only going to assume that the current plug/screw is just to keep dust and dirt out of the gun until the upgrade is installed. Maybe Tippmann can be more specific on the schematic since it doesn't show the plug on the schematic for the Custom A.C.T. so others won't be confused by what the screw is for.

Thanks,

Dan

t_hop View Drop Down
Streike 1, 5/16 filter dodge/inapp. link

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_hop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2008 at 7:13pm

NO!   i know what that is! and i have a wonderful story to go along with it. It is actually the powertube excess air plug/ valve, however you want to say it. If you want to install a cyclone on to your 98 the placeholder screw for your blowback air is what you see is sitting comfortably in its home. But! when you buy a cyclone they send you a new powertube. now this new powertube has the port, the one that is now built into the 98, on it, the drilled hole and mystery screw as you called it. Your supposed to take the unported powertube, which doesn't exist on newer 98's, out and put a new one in. My story is about that. I follow the instructions because im an idiot, anyways i take my marker completely apart and get ready to change the powertubes when i look at them for maybe 2 minutes before deciding they are the exact same thing. I call tippmann and ask what the heck the difference is and the tech guy tells me i didn't have to do anything but take your mystery screw out put their screw in, slide the tube over the screw valve(on the screw) and put the hopper on the  rail. yep i wasted all that time for five minutes of work. anyways my cylcone is on.

some pictures where you can see what im talking about. The scew you thought had no purpose is the end of the tube. the other pic is the powertube and you can see the port and your mystery screw poking out: *blurry sorry! http://allyoucanupload.webshots.com/v/2005288540283386591

http://allyoucanupload.webshots.com/v/2005231272145722557

http://allyoucanupload.webshots.com/v/2005246811082926325

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic