Tippmann Paintball Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Paintball Equipment > Gun Maintenace and Repair
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed20 oz. Co2 tank

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Direct Link To This Post Topic: 20 oz. Co2 tank
    Posted: 07 April 2008 at 12:18am
Dose anyone know what tyhe psi. on a 20 oz Co2 tank is? I would like to know because I want to be able to fill my own tank. (I have the Co2)
The Guy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Soup Can Guy

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2008 at 12:24am
Co2 is not filled by pressure, it is filled by weight.

Go to County Paintball and pick up a CO2 fill station. All the instructions will be in there. Also, go pick up either a postal, or a fish scale.
Snake6 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Outranked by guitarguy?

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2008 at 12:26am
CO2 is always ~800psi, but CO2 is not measured in psi it is measured in ounces...
Enos Shenk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
~-o@

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2008 at 2:42pm
Originally posted by Snake6 Snake6 wrote:

CO2 is always ~800psi

Snake, dont make me revoke your Maintenance section priveleges, you know better than that. CO2 changes pressure by outside temperture, its only ~800psi at room temperture.

Anyway on topic, what Theguy said.
Snake6. View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2008 at 3:00pm

Originally posted by Enos Shenk Enos Shenk wrote:

Originally posted by Snake6 Snake6 wrote:

CO2 is always ~800psi

Snake, dont make me revoke your Maintenance section priveleges, you know better than that. CO2 changes pressure by outside temperture, its only ~800psi at room temperture.

Anyway on topic, what Theguy said.

Thats why I put the little ~ for about. Its somewhere in that general range. That was my point. I didn't want to confuse the guy by putting a large range of numbers.

Paintball Chat
I'm at work, Leave me alone!!!
Wilhelm Schulz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2008 at 3:35pm
Ok so its done like propane tanks.
motopsycho650 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2008 at 7:22am
Originally posted by Wilhelm Schulz Wilhelm Schulz wrote:

Ok so its done like propane tanks.

I fill my own CO2, here's what you need.

1. Large CO2 Tank.  (I have a 20 lbs pepsi tank, no siphon tube).  If The tank does not have a siphon tube, it must be mounted upside down somehow so that liquid will come out of it.

2. Some kind of Fill Station.  I bought a Trinity Fill Station from TippmannPros.com.  It works great.

3.  You need a good digital fish scale.

Hook the paintball tank up to the fill station.  Use the bleeder valve to empty the tank.  You want the small tank to be cold, it helps if you put it in the freezer for awhile before.  Once the small tank is empty, hang it from the scale, and turn on & zero out the scale, and add ONLY the amount of CO2 the small tank allows for.  i.e. 9oz tank = 9 oz CO2,  20oz tank = 1 lbs 4 oz CO2.

Until you get these steps down pat, I recommend filling your tanks 1 oz short of being 100% full.  Once you get some practice, you can number each of you tanks, and write down the empty weight of each one.  Once you know that, you can check how full tanks are by weighing them, and you can also top them off without emptying them.

If the tank stops filling before you have it full, that means the pressure between the two tanks has equalized.  If this happens, close the fill valve, and bleed some CO2 out of the little tank.  This will make the little tank colder, and lower the inside pressure.  You should then be able to finish filling it up.

Just remember to BE CAREFUL & use common sense.  Liquid CO2 has an unbelievable amount of potential energy.  If you've ever been near a CO2 tank when the rupture disc blew, you know what I'm talking about.

Here is a link to a graph showing CO2 pressures vs. temp & tank fill %.

I heard this stat once, not sure where...  I'm told a 20 oz. CO2 tank has more potential energy stored than a 25 GALLON home air compressor.

Edited by motopsycho650 - 11 April 2008 at 7:21am
motopsycho650 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2008 at 7:27am
HA, this is great.  A friend of the family had another 20lb tank than I just bought for 50 bucks.  Now I got 2 20lb. tanks.  I'm still looking around for the best price to fill/swap tanks.  Right now, I use my local Airgas to swap bottles for 23.99 + tax.  The cool thing is, I never have to worry about testing the bottles.
That OldGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2009 at 7:00pm
"The cool thing is, I never have to worry about testing the bottles."

That scares me!!!  There's a reason all bottles are tested periodicly.  They are under a tremedous amout of stress.  Constantly expanding and contracting as the gas changes temperature.   They can fail! 
Saw a guy  once who had his arm over a small  refrigerator compressor that was charged to 300 psi to test for leaks on a fresh weld he had just done on the top of it.  The weld let go.  The top flew off,  hit his arm, his arm hit 2  half inch gavanized pipes sticking out of the wall.  Tore the pipes off the wall.  Years later I saw him.  looked like someone scooped a baseball size hole out of his arm.  It took many surguries to get it to that point.
Just not worth a few bucks for the price of a test or a new tank.  Don't take a chance with compreesed air!

oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not old, Not noob. May be Dave's grandma

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2009 at 7:36pm

Please don't bump over a year old threads.

"When I grow up I want to marry a rich man and live in a condor next to the beach" -- My 7yr old daughter.
That OldGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2009 at 7:50pm
Last pos was 9 month ago, not over a year.  I personally don't care if it was 2 years ago.  If it can save someone from an emergency room trip it's worth it.
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not old, Not noob. May be Dave's grandma

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2009 at 7:58pm

April 2008.....

"When I grow up I want to marry a rich man and live in a condor next to the beach" -- My 7yr old daughter.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic