Tippmann Paintball Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Tippmann Paintball > Paintball Ideas / News From Tippmann
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

paintball mortar

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markhoppus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: paintball mortar
    Posted: 07 May 2008 at 1:39pm

im building the ap2 mortar shown on this link http://www.alternativepaintball.com/mortar.htm

but in the plans it doesnt say what i should to to shoot paint other then putting a a cup down the barrel and filling it with paint balls my question is how can i make a shell so i couldshoot out sumthing with a bigger splat area per say lik in ther words a paint grenade that wont explode in teh air 

paintballa43708 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paintballa43708 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2008 at 1:56pm
you could try putting them in a net type thing
Pain Is Weakness Leaving The Body
markhoppus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markhoppus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2008 at 1:58pm
i thought about that but if i put  a grenade inthere the pressure shooting it out would  make it explode right out of the barrel
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2008 at 3:42pm
You could use water balloons like it suggested on the page you linked to.

Originally posted by The link The link wrote:

The AP-2 can also be fired as a regular paintball cannon. Ammunition can be paintballs, water balloons filled with paint or other low mass projectiles that are suitable for paintball use.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markhoppus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2008 at 9:39pm
ok if i do the water baloons what pain t do i use cus i need sumthing cheap
carl_the_sniper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - 7/29, Bad Linky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carl_the_sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2008 at 10:16pm
http://www.alternativepaintball.com/silencers.htm

I wonder how long they will be around for?
<just say no to unnecessarily sexualized sigs>
The Guy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Soup Can Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2008 at 10:24pm
Paint grenades will explode right out of the barrel, as will water balloons.

You can modify a paint grenade and give it a less sensitive trigger, just don't try to throw those or they will never go off.

By the way, if you DO make that, just remember that ball valves are inefficient because they depend on the speed which you can operate the lever.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markhoppus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2008 at 5:21pm
what kinda vavle can i use fori to  be faster
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2008 at 6:22pm
Originally posted by The Guy The Guy wrote:

Did you ever experiment with casings for them.  Several of us (group project) had fairly good results with balloons launched using a "split-casing" designed to open and fall off of the projectile after launch.  However, it was done with a fairly low velocity shorter range launcher.

ThatGuitarGuy View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Square Slot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThatGuitarGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2008 at 7:48pm
Originally posted by carl_the_sniper carl_the_sniper wrote:

http://www.alternativepaintball.com/silencers.htm

I wonder how long they will be around for?

Aren't those illegal? Regardless of whether or not they're sold for "paintball" use?
Skillet:     I've never been terribly fond of the look of a vagina
kurieitaa View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kurieitaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2008 at 10:06pm

hehe they spell'd tippmann wrong on that site. anyways i thought the ammobox remote line was a cool idea.

but if you get a back plate (you know some type of a wadding or a carboard cup?) for the paint gernade/balloon, it might help it not explode in the barrel?

Edited by kurieitaa - 08 May 2008 at 10:11pm
The Guy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Soup Can Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2008 at 12:02am
it just makes it more tedious to load, and paint balloons wouldn't get very good coverage. 
paintball437085 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paintball437085 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2008 at 2:01pm
having a covering that can come off when it leaves the barrel
psn=Xx_DY3_xX

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markhoppus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2008 at 6:54pm
any one know aboutthe valve  like one that can be remote or sumthin like that
The Guy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Soup Can Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2008 at 10:13pm
A modified solenoid valve can be run remotely. Meaning, standing within 10 feet or so.
cichniss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cichniss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2008 at 4:57pm
In order to fire projectiles similar to water balloons you can simply use a sabot.  This can be easily done by cutting out a cardboard casing type thing.  Sort of like a hollow mould that will fit the barrel.  place a roundish shaped object in the middle of your mould that is the size of your of your desired projectile (you can suspend it with string).  Then use something like an expandable foam(sold in hardware stores, usually called great stuff) and fill your mould.  After it sets for 24 hrs. you can the remove the cardboard and cut your foam in two and then you can load your water balloon in it and launch it.  The sabot will fall away as the projectile exits the barrel.  I hope you can invision what i am saying, it is a little hard to put in to words.

Edited by cichniss - 20 May 2008 at 4:59pm
cmhanck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmhanck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2008 at 5:18pm

A modified solenoid valve can be run remotely. Meaning, standing within 10 feet or so.

Here's a link to some info on modifying a sprinkler valve for cannon use: http://www.thehalls-in-bfe.com/GGDT/library/valve_orbit1_mod .html
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." -Hunter S. Thompson
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic