Tippmann Paintball Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Tippmann Paintball > New Player Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nelson "Hot Spot" paint

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EastSideRich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nelson "Hot Spot" paint
    Posted: 30 May 2008 at 7:13pm
Anyone else use this stuff?
Is it absolute garbage?

When I got my marker I also picked up a small box of Nelson Special Forces Series, "Ranger Elite Tournament Grade" paint.
It was pretty accurate with the stock bbl. I could put shots in about a 3 inch group from about 30 ft.
In anticipation of the arrival of my new Big Shot, I picked up a big case of Nelson Hot Spot paint.
Well the new bbl showed up today. I threw it on and tried a couple of the old Ranger paint through it - about the same accuracy as the stock bbl (Our yard isn't that big, so I havent shot at more than about 30 ft yet).
I loaded up the Hot Spot - I would be lucky to hit a person at >40 ft.
It throws the most wicked curve balls I've ever seen (any kind of ball - not just paint balls).
Tried the stock bbl again, about the same as the Lapco.
-Seriously, The ball will curve about 6-12" left or right from about 30 ft. Most of the movement happens in the last 5-10 ft it looks like.
I went from my shots being placed in a 3-4 inch circle to about a 2 ft circle.
I dropped both kinds of paint down both bbls to see how close they fit; both fell right through the stock bbl. The ranger stuff fell through the stock A-5 bbl, but was pretty snug in the Lapco.

I also noticed the seam on the hot spot paint is much more defined.

Anyone else have the same problem with this paint?

Any suggestions for good practice paint for the Lapco.
Would you recommend different  ammo for actually playing (if I can find a place that will let you bring your own)?

Also, I may be running out of CO2, Could this be having an effect on accuracy?
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2008 at 7:17pm
Running out of CO2 would have an effect on range more than accuracy.  Check the paint to see if one of the balls in the bag has broken and leaked on the others.  Having even a little paint on the exterior of the paintballs could produce the effect you describe.  (If so, you will want to clean out the marker, barrel, hopper and feedneck as well.)  Excess velocity can also cause accuracy issues.  What velocity were you firing at?
StormyKnight View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormyKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2008 at 10:15pm
A more pronounced seam will also affect your accuracy especially if you're shooting hot.  Check your velocity as Mack suggested.
EastSideRich View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EastSideRich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2008 at 12:32am
No broken paint. everything is clean.
Haven't chrono'd the gun yet, not sure of velocity.

I actually had brought home a caliper from work today for something else and decided to take some measurements.

Measured random diameter around seam, 20 balls each.

Ranger paint: Diameter around seam = .686" +- .001
                  Diameter at "poles" = .674" +- .001

Hot Spot:      Diameter around seam = .686" +-.001
                   Diameter at "poles"     = .668" +- .002

Also looked at some of the Hot Spot measuring D at multiple points around the seam on each ball:
Diameter around seam ranges from about .680"to .695" on each ball.

I think theyre just really out of round. The actually look kinda flattened along the axis through the "poles", and seem to be oblong around the seam.

Also the diameter around the seam is kind of misleading, because the seam is actually pulled in a little.

The shells on these (Hot Spot) are also really tough and thick.
The Ranger paint is pretty brittle - it will break when dropped on concrete from about 1 foot or so. The shell actually shatters.
The cheaper stuff I could probably throw at the wall and not break it.
I cut one in half with a knife and you can bend and fold the half shell without cracking it.

I guess you get what you pay for. The Hot spot was $30 for 2000
The Ranger paint was on sale so I got 500 for $10 but I think regular price was like $14 or for 500 (they only had one box left).

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic