Tippmann Paintball Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Paintball Equipment > Which Gun is Best
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

98 custom platinum

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coffeeman18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 98 custom platinum
    Posted: 12 June 2008 at 12:09pm
  Hello, Im new to the forum and have just switched to bt to tippmann! I am interested In buying the platinum series 98c.  What are the pro and cons to the gun? Will the upgraded powertubes fit on this gun? Ive heard That the powertube is loose On the gun is this true??? I think tippmann is a good enough company that they will make more upgrades for the new gun.  Im wondering if the platinum series is like a special addition marker that will go away or is it the official new 98 custom thats going to stay for a while??
Enos Shenk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
~-o@

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enos Shenk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2008 at 11:19pm
The powertube has changed in the Platinum. It no longer needs valve bolts on the right side, the air line locks the valve and powertube in place.

That said, 'upgraded' powertubes are a total scam. Theres absolutely no benefit to getting one, youre just lining some snake-oil salesmans pockets.
Nagash1959 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nagash1959 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2008 at 9:51pm

The 98 Platinum shouldn't be thought of as the "official" version. They are still going to produce the standard 98c's with ACT. However they discontinued producing the non-ACT version when they released the 98c Platinum. However much like the Pro the Platinum will be around for as long as they continue the 98 line. If they do drop anything else from the line I'd hazard a guess that the standard 98c would go and they'd just keep the Platinum around. As the upgrades for the current 98c fit with the platinum this would really be an easy transition. However I believe the vertical adaptor (and thus the X-chamber) do not fit with the new powertube, unless someone knows better?

As for pros and cons he pros are simple. A reliable, easy to maintain gun that is less likely to fail on you then any other marker you can name, short of throwing the paint by hand. Con is that to get extremely great performance out of it you need to put some extra money into it over time, but a new barrel is usually enough to turn a 98c into a great marker to play with. Everything after that just becomes the proverbial icing.

98 Custom
Cyclone
Double E-Trigger
Polished Internals
Freak kit
X-chamber
CP Drop w/On/Off
Ace_Of_Spades View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Guested, Doesnt follow Rules. 9/10/08

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ace_Of_Spades Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2008 at 12:00am
Originally posted by Nagash1959 Nagash1959 wrote:

The 98 Platinum shouldn't be thought of as the "official" version. They are still going to produce the standard 98c's with ACT. However they discontinued producing the non-ACT version when they released the 98c Platinum. However much like the Pro the Platinum will be around for as long as they continue the 98 line. If they do drop anything else from the line I'd hazard a guess that the standard 98c would go and they'd just keep the Platinum around. As the upgrades for the current 98c fit with the platinum this would really be an easy transition. However I believe the vertical adaptor (and thus the X-chamber) do not fit with the new powertube, unless someone knows better?

As for pros and cons he pros are simple. A reliable, easy to maintain gun that is less likely to fail on you then any other marker you can name, short of throwing the paint by hand. Con is that to get extremely great performance out of it you need to put some extra money into it over time, but a new barrel is usually enough to turn a 98c into a great marker to play with. Everything after that just becomes the proverbial icing.

nuff said

d4rkmonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4rkmonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2008 at 7:34pm
From BT to Tippmann is a bad choice in my opinion. BT just seems to have better made markers, and addons.

Also, why not look into more "speedball" markers? They're usually better made with better technology.
Nagash1959 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nagash1959 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2008 at 5:48pm

Better made? Drop a Tippmann from shoulder hight it will be fine. Drop a high end gun from that hight and send it in for repairs. Tippmanns are designed to take a beating in a sport that rewards hard play.

As for better technology I don't see how. Why is one anti-chop system better then the other just because it is electronic if they both work? How as an agitated hopper better then a cyclone if they feed at the same rate? How is one valve that fires out a paintball at 280 FPS better then another valuve that fires out a paintball at 280 FPS? I think you get where I'm going with this.

98 Custom
Cyclone
Double E-Trigger
Polished Internals
Freak kit
X-chamber
CP Drop w/On/Off
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic