Tippmann Paintball Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Tippmann Paintball > Marker Gallery
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

68 Automag Classic

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormyKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 68 Automag Classic
    Posted: 23 July 2008 at 6:14pm

For those of you that saw a picture of my collection a few weeks ago, there was a slightly anonymous Automag amongst the Tippmanns.  It had an ugly "custom" camo paintjob that was obviously done by hand (and not very well I might add).  I sent the body in to Luke's Customs http://www.lukescustoms.com/page0001.htm for a bead-blasting, Vertical Feedneck Mod and a flat black powdercoating.  It turned out better than I expected.  I really didn't want to get into the expense of a ULE or one of the unfinished centerfeed bodies since I have a perfectly good twist-lock J & J barrel.  I wanted to reduce how far the hopper stuck out on the marker and I thought this was a great way to do it.

MeanMan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MeanMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2008 at 6:17pm

Looks good, Luke does good stuff.  I think Mags look best in all black.

I guess all you need now is an X-Valve...  Nah.

hybrid-sniper~"To be honest, if I see a player still using an Impulse I'm going to question their motives."
StormyKnight View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormyKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2008 at 6:21pm
I'm always looking to upgrade the valve.  If I can't find one for a decent price, I'll just end up doing a Level 10 upgrade on the current one.
barn_user View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Strike 1 - Filterdodge, 3/20

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barn_user Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2008 at 6:26pm
That is nice! I'm jealous...
kurieitaa View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kurieitaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2008 at 8:31pm
i keep forgetting how simple looking they are, nice none the less.

Edited by kurieitaa - 23 July 2008 at 8:32pm
SSOK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2008 at 8:44pm
was that a powerfeed body?
Monk View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2008 at 9:19pm
I dont think an x valve will make any difference if you switch out for the lvl 10 bolt.

I could be wrong though, looks nice/
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
b-YOU-ick. Was that so hard?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2008 at 9:30pm
Monk, all the Lv. 10 is, is an anti-chop system. It has no affect on physical performance of the valve, as far as I know. The X-Valve will always be able to cycle faster, and has a R/T feature that the standard Classic valve just doesn't have. If you want to keep it mech, Stormy, I'd suggest picking up a R/T valve. Faster cycle rates and the R/T feature. Plus, you can put a Lv. 10 on it ant it won't chop.

But for all that money spent, you could have gotten a nice set of pneumatics and a 'cocker and simply timed it to not chop!

Edited by DeTrevni - 23 July 2008 at 9:31pm
Evil Elvis: "Detrevni is definally like a hillbilly hippy from hell"

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormyKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2008 at 9:31pm

Originally posted by SSOK SSOK wrote:

No it wasn't.  The feed tube stuck out of the right side of the body at about a 45 degree angle.

sinisterNorth View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
1 strike, language, 10/3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sinisterNorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2008 at 9:38pm
Nice looking Mag. Much better than before.
Pumpker'd; (V.) When a pump player runs up and shoots you at point blank range because you thought 20bps made you good.
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2008 at 9:57pm
Yes, I agree. Very clean looking. I've always liked 'Mags, though I have a tendency to tease 'Mag owners about them. "Hey, were'd the pneumatics go on that thing?" Or "Nice Ion!" I was tempted to tell a guy shooting a beautiful X-Mag (not X-Valved 'Mag, but a true X-Mag) that "He had a beautiful Shocker!"

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormyKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2008 at 10:33pm

Originally posted by DeTrevni DeTrevni wrote:

Monk, all the Lv. 10 is, is an anti-chop system. It has no affect on physical performance of the valve, as far as I know. The X-Valve will always be able to cycle faster, and has a R/T feature that the standard Classic valve just doesn't have. If you want to keep it mech, Stormy, I'd suggest picking up a R/T valve. Faster cycle rates and the R/T feature. Plus, you can put a Lv. 10 on it ant it won't chop.

But for all that money spent, you could have gotten a nice set of pneumatics and a 'cocker and simply timed it to not chop!

Not a big 'cocker fan.  I've heard all kinds of horror stories about keeping the marker tuned correctly.  While most may be old wive's tales, I'm the type that wants to pick up the marker and play with no more fiddling around than cleaning it at the most.  Autocockers just seem like too much work for a casual player like myself.  I like the simplicity (if not less efficient) operation like the Tippmanns.  I've always been fascinated by the Automag's design and quiet operation. 

I hated the Automags at first when I was rudely introduced to them.  Buddy of mine brought one home when he was in the Navy.  Here I thought I had the cat's behind with my spanking new Pro/Am.  Boy was I ever wrong.  His Automag was so quiet.  Virtually silent compared to my Tippy.  It was sick.  I couldn't hear where he was firing from, all I heard was the paint zinging past me.  16 years later, he uses the same setup.  No mods.  Still bloody quiet.  I couldn't pass up the chance to buy one for myself.

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormyKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2008 at 10:35pm

Originally posted by sinisterNorth sinisterNorth wrote:

Nice looking Mag. Much better than before.

Thank you.  I whole-heartedly agree! 

t_hop View Drop Down
Streike 1, 5/16 filter dodge/inapp. link

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_hop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2008 at 12:22am

Yes, I agree. Very clean looking. I've always liked 'Mags, though I have a tendency to tease 'Mag owners about them. "Hey, were'd the pneumatics go on that thing?" Or "Nice Ion!" I was tempted to tell a guy shooting a beautiful X-Mag (not X-Valved 'Mag, but a true X-Mag) that "He had a beautiful Shocker!"

haha one word for those shenanigans

dirty

Edited by t_hop - 24 July 2008 at 12:22am
"I'm here to kick ass and chew bubblegum, and I'm all out of bubblegum."
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2008 at 12:53am
I was introduced to 'cockers the same way you were to 'mags. I was playing my dad's buddy, who had a Trilogy Pro. It was the quietest thing I'd ever heard (up until then, I was playing with Spyders and Tippies). I was in love. Right at that time, Action Village was "blowing out" their 2K4 Prostocks for a cheap $200 a pop (...). HAD to get one. Behold, my first 'cocker. LOVED it.

oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not old, Not noob. May be Dave's grandma

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2008 at 10:03am
I know nothing about these types of markers, but I like the very simple lines of this. Very nice.
"When I grow up I want to marry a rich man and live in a condor next to the beach" -- My 7yr old daughter.
SSOK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2008 at 2:04pm
Originally posted by StormyKnight StormyKnight wrote:

Originally posted by SSOK SSOK wrote:

No it wasn't.  The feed tube stuck out of the right side of the body at about a 45 degree angle.

Damn. I need one of those for my Q loader. The warp ULT would look stupid, and my powerfeed sticks up too much.

MeanMan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MeanMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2008 at 2:37pm

If I were him, and you did that, I would have shot you... repeatedly.

hybrid-sniper~"To be honest, if I see a player still using an Impulse I'm going to question their motives."
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2008 at 3:47pm
Hah. Proves us 'cocker guys are just so much friendlier! 

Styro Folme View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Strike 1 - Rules 1 and 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Styro Folme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2008 at 4:00pm

Hah. Proves us 'cocker guys are just so much friendlier! 
Except...  y'know....  for the teasing.

I almost bought an Automag classic way back in the days of paintball where I was still shooting a Brass Eagle.  888paintball had a good deal going on them and I was in the market for a decent entry level marker, but I didn't buy it because it didn't come with a barrel or a hopper.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic