Tippmann Paintball Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Tippmann Paintball > New Player Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Tippmann 98 custom velocity

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Domino5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tippmann 98 custom velocity
    Posted: 20 August 2008 at 8:56pm

tits

Edited by Domino5 - 26 February 2009 at 5:31pm
XDG SCORPION View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XDG SCORPION Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2008 at 8:58pm
You cant tell by turning the screw. You have to go to a chronograph. The reason why is because every gun is different.
Domino5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Domino5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2008 at 8:59pm

tits

Edited by Domino5 - 26 February 2009 at 5:31pm
Snake6 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Outranked by guitarguy?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snake6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2008 at 9:09pm
I have seen 98 Customs shoot 350 right out of the box. The only safe way to play is with a chronograph. If you don't have one, you shouldn't be playing.
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2008 at 9:55pm
Originally posted by Snake6 Snake6 wrote:

I have seen 98 Customs shoot 350 right out of the box. The only safe way to play is with a chronograph. If you don't have one, you shouldn't be playing.

QFT
Sidicas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sidicas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2008 at 11:15pm
Originally posted by Mack Mack wrote:

Originally posted by Snake6 Snake6 wrote:

QFT
You must be shooting some unusually small paintballs for Quantum Field Theory to play a role in your FPS!

Edited by Sidicas - 22 August 2008 at 11:16pm
Bullet-Fed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bullet-Fed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2008 at 10:53am
Hi! new here....i bought a Tippman 98 custom a month ago,one of my friends let me borrow his chronograph and the gun was shooting at 333fps. so i lowered it down to 290fps and honestly that improved my accuracy.
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2008 at 1:11pm
Just keep in mind that as a minimum you should chrono before every day of play.  With CO2, you should probably chrono several times during the day.
Tolgak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Master of MSPaint and bri's Daddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tolgak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2008 at 10:59am
You should keep the gun at about 280, because that's what most fields allow. Also, it makes sure that if you do have a velocity spike, there's a very low chance that it will go past 300.

Velocities higher than 300 have the potential to break masks and the bones in your hands. It's pretty much a criminal action to play with velocities that high. Bring it to about 10 fps lower than the field limit or 280 next time you chrono.

Edited by Tolgak - 01 September 2008 at 11:00am
Sidicas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sidicas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2008 at 8:06pm
Originally posted by Mack Mack wrote:

Just keep in mind that as a minimum you should chrono before every day of play.  With CO2, you should probably chrono several times during the day.

Yea, that is true.  I have been accused once or twice by other players of cranking my velocity up on a rental marker.
 I'd rent it early in the morning when it was 50F outside and then by noon I'd go to get my 2nd fill and then chrono in at around 295 FPS instead of 270. Other people who arrived later in the day would chrono in much lower because the temp doesn't change as much after 1PM. 

So it's definitely a good idea to chrono every fill, buy a pocket chrono if you need to, and carry it around with you. Some fields, for some silly reason, only have the chronos by the shop and so you have to walk all the way back to get a chrono done.. They move their CO2 and HPA tanks closer to the playing field for convenience and they keep the chronograph back at the shop to keep it out of the rain.

When I switched to HPA, I stopped chronoing so often because it's practically a waste of time to chrono it every fill.  I check my chrono  once in the morning just to be sure and that's it for the entire day and the FPS is always the same. I haven't touched my velocity screw in almost a month now, but I'm still required to check the chrono at least once every day just to be sure.

Edited by Sidicas - 09 September 2008 at 8:14pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic