Tippmann Paintball Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Paintball Equipment > Gun Maintenace and Repair
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How do I

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Strike 1 F-bomb in link 9/29

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote K Hop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How do I
    Posted: 07 September 2008 at 7:03pm
get all the paint of my gun, and clean the insides.

I recently got a used 98 custom and the previous owner
was seriously slacking in taking care of it.

Internally it doesn't look like its ever been cleaned
before. There is black gunk all over the insides.

The person who owned it before wanted the gun red so it
seems as though they simply spray painted it. The paint
easily peels off and is internal as well as external.
But some spots wont peel off. I am wondering the best
way to remove all of the paint and the black gunk inside
the gun.

Edited by K Hop - 07 September 2008 at 7:05pm
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not old, Not noob. May be Dave's grandma

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2008 at 7:18pm

Have you tried soap and water on the receiver halves to get the gunk out? It aluminum, so it won't rust. I stripped the paint off of one of my old 98s using liquid paint stripper and steel wool.  Just make sure you wash it really well afterwards. Probably even better to clean prior to repainting with denatured alcohol.

Edited by oldpbnoob - 07 September 2008 at 7:19pm
"When I grow up I want to marry a rich man and live in a condor next to the beach" -- My 7yr old daughter.
K Hop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote K Hop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2008 at 7:44pm
I tried soap and water for the gunk but that didn't
really work.

I was thinking that very fine steel wool
could be used to get the gunk out.

And I'll try the paint stripper and steel wool.

Thanks man!

Edited by K Hop - 07 September 2008 at 7:44pm
uno187 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uno187 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2008 at 7:54pm
SOS pads work great on the inside.
98 Custom Pro
E-grip
cp reg
cp on/off
custom drop
freak barrel kit
Ricochet Apache
68/4500 crossfire
fang trigger
macro line
low pressure kit
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2008 at 8:12pm

Originally posted by K Hop K Hop wrote:

I tried soap and water for the gunk but that didn't
really work.

I was thinking that very fine steel wool
could be used to get the gunk out.

And I'll try the paint stripper and steel wool.

Thanks man!

I used Kutzit brand that I got at Lowes, but there are others. Make sure you use gloves and pick up an aluminum disposable pan to soak it in. A metal wire brush helps as well.

There is also an automotive strength stripper you can get at an auto parts store or paint shop. It will take pretty much any down to the metal, but it is pretty harsh. I dont remember the name, but a buddy of mine and I stripped his car back when I was in college. This was when wearing holey jeans was cool and few drops got inside. Long story short, I ended up standing outside in my underwear hosing my leg down and scrubbing until it took a couple of layers of skin off. Nasty stuff.

"When I grow up I want to marry a rich man and live in a condor next to the beach" -- My 7yr old daughter.
K Hop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote K Hop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2008 at 9:00pm
Oh and what should I use to re-paint it?
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2008 at 10:03pm
Strip all the interior parts out and soak the receiver halves in Dawn dishwashing liquid for an hour or so.  Once you've done that, wipe it down thoroughly with an old rag and rinse it off.  Do this will get rid of most of the caked on stuff. 

I've also used WD40 to clean off really tough paint, but you don't want to get it on any of the o-rings.  (You also want to make sure you don't leave any on/in the marker.)
t_hop View Drop Down
Streike 1, 5/16 filter dodge/inapp. link

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_hop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2008 at 11:21pm

take it to line-x and get it rhino lined!

take off the grips and cover your valves and what not, to make sure you don't ruin it. that would be unique though.  

"I'm here to kick ass and chew bubblegum, and I'm all out of bubblegum."
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2008 at 12:37am

Why paint it?? Get it clean and polish the crap out of it. Mill the Tippmann Custom off of he left reciever and make it clean. Mill the forward grip smooth. I am assuming this is the E-bolt you posted in the marker gallery? It would look sweet milled and polished. Check into a Rufus Dawg centerfeed.

Edited by oldpbnoob - 08 September 2008 at 12:41am
K Hop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote K Hop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2008 at 4:51pm
Originally posted by oldpbnoob oldpbnoob wrote:

Why paint it?? Get it clean and polish the crap out of it. Mill the Tippmann Custom off of he left reciever and make it clean. Mill the forward grip smooth. I am assuming this is the E-bolt you posted in the marker gallery? It would look sweet milled and polished. Check into a Rufus Dawg centerfeed.

I was actually thinking about not painting it but wasn't sure if it was a good idea. I don't have a mill but I know a guy who could easily help me out.

oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2008 at 1:37pm

Originally posted by oldpbnoob oldpbnoob wrote:

I was actually thinking about not painting it but wasn't sure if it was a good idea. I don't have a mill but I know a guy who could easily help me out.

Ask for a dremel for Xmas. You can also remove the raised lettering on the side using a file and sand paper. It will take some time, but will work. The receivers are aluminum, so they will not corrode. If you leave them bare, you may have to steel wool them everyonce in awhile or you can get it nice and shiny and clear coat it. Clear coat is my nemesis, so I typically stay away from it.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic