Tippmann Paintball Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Paintball Equipment > Gun Maintenace and Repair
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

A5 Response Trigger Problem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesdamon23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A5 Response Trigger Problem
    Posted: 06 October 2008 at 2:16pm
First of all - noob here when it comes to paintball.

Ordered my first gun - A5 with response trigger installed already.  I put on a double trigger, flatline barrel, and stock.  I have a remote line with CO2 powering it.  Bought some marballizers and took a few shots.  The response trigger worked well. 

I turned off the co2 - shot it until it ran out of gas and unhooked the line.  I put the marker in my garage and left it there till about a week later.  I hooked it back up and shot it - but this time it just shot single shots - every once in a while it would shoot like two shots.  I couldn't just hold back the trigger.

I got out my manual - tried turning down the velocity half a turn.  (I dont' have anyway to check the velocity but I heard the flatline should be a little lower.)  I then started to try turning the air supply (don't know if that is the right term - the small valve your turn with the screw driver) to the trigger up and down.  That didn't do anything. 

I turned it closed as suggested in the manual and it would barely fire as the manual said.  I started turning it open while popping off a shot every once in a while.  I got the nob turned pretty far and the response trigger still didn't shoot when I would hold the trigger back.  It was always one or two shots.

I ended up playing like that and it was a blast (first time).  Man that was fun.

But, I'm wondering if anyone has any advice before I attempt disasembling the handle and try checking the response parts as suggested in the manual. 

I check the tube on the outside of the gun that seems to bring the air to the handle.  It was connected well. 

My garage did get cold - we had some 30 degree weather - but I brought my gun inside that day until we played and it was warmed up.  Plus as the day went on it was in the 60's and the gun only ever shot one paintball with a trigger pull.  Before hooking it up the second time, I did put some gun oil on the top of the co2 tank before connecting it as someone suggested.  Don't know if that may have done anything.

Any advice is appreciated. 
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not old, Not noob. May be Dave's grandma

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2008 at 2:34pm
First thing you need to do is check your velocity. If you are playing in a private field, someone needs to invest in a handheld chrono. Once you have established that you are shooting at the correct velocity, your problems will most likely disappear. As a side note, it is dangerous to play with unchronoed markers. For safety, most fields limit FPS to 290 or under.
"When I grow up I want to marry a rich man and live in a condor next to the beach" -- My 7yr old daughter.
jamesdamon23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesdamon23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2008 at 3:01pm
I will do that.  Anyone recommend a brand and give me a price range on it? 

Just curious - Does anyone know if the a5's come set at a certain fps range?

And just to understand - you believe the velocity is the problem?  I guess I'm curious why it worked one time and not the next at the same velocity.

Thanks
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not old, Not noob. May be Dave's grandma

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2008 at 9:06am

Try www.actionvillage.com or www.paintball-discounters.com. Both should have it for around $70.00. I think both offer free shipping if you buy $100.00 worth of stuff, so pick up some other maintenance goodies while you are there like oil, spare o-rings etc.

I would think the FPS would have been set at the factory in order to bench test, but have heard stories of markers coming out of the box at 350+ fps. Also, the FPS can vary when using CO2 depending on the temperature, that is why you are always required to chrono at the beginning of play. FPS can also be affected by changing barrels etc.

The velocity may not be the issue, but since it sounds like you may not be getting enough pressure to activate the RT, I would think it is a good place to start. Plus if you are playing renegade games, someone in your group should have a chrono and be checking each gun.

Another thing with the RT is there is a sweet spot to getting it to rapid fire. It does take some getting used to.

One other thing, you mentioned using a screw driver to adjust the banjo fitting for the RT. Be really careful when doing this. I personally would recommend using your finger nail as you can overwrench and damage the fitting if you screw it down too tight.

"When I grow up I want to marry a rich man and live in a condor next to the beach" -- My 7yr old daughter.
Rambino View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I am even less fun in person

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rambino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2008 at 12:18pm

The A-5 RT isn't as easy to sweetspot as the 98 RT, for whatever reason.  There are some easy mods to fix that.  The main one is the "straw mod" - a search will show up a bunch of threads on that.

Also remove the trigger spring.  Helps a little bit.  Then, if you are still feeling like tweaking, replace the RT hose with macroline - aka the "Super RT mod".

Start with the straw mod - that will make sweetspotting a lot easier.

Good luck.

[IMG]http://i38.tinypic.com/aag8s8.jpg">
Enos Shenk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
~-o@

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enos Shenk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2008 at 12:35pm
Nothing comes with a "preset FPS range", absolutely everything on a marker contributes to velocity. Barrel, any upgrades, maintenence of the gun, EVERYTHING.

Thats one of those things most people dont understand but its very important. Everything down to the outside temperture affects the velocity of the paint out the end of the barrel.
mechanikmike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mechanikmike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2008 at 8:09pm
my A-5 was a real pain to tune in the R/T one thing I will suggest that
does take a lot of time but I found it was what did the trick, don't be
tempted to turn the adjuster screw 1/4 turn at a time, it only takes an
1/8 turn to make my trigger go from pretty much full auto to no response
at all, they are very sensitive, and it could be a change in weather
between the times you used it causing the CO2 pressure to fluctuate
enough to throw off your settings, as everyone said you have to make
sure you chrono your marker and with CO2 you will find your velocity will
change throughout the day it's pretty sensitive to temperature changes,
and all you do to tune it is start with it gently turned all the way in and
slowly back it out and each time you adjust it give a couple of shots by
slightly and slowly pulling the trigger until it just fires eventually you will
notice it starting to burst fire once that happens you really only need to
adjust the screw very minute amounts and if it gets worse go back in, it's
a real pain the first time you set it up but once you feel what you're
looking for you will be able to set it easily any other time
thejudge View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thejudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2008 at 12:00am
Also to add to the last post, i have heard of double triggers being even harder to tune due to the added weight of the trigger.  you may want to consider trying just the single trigger and see if it works any better.
Stay low, run fast, and hope that paintball doesn't hit your...
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2008 at 11:52am
Originally posted by thejudge thejudge wrote:

Also to add to the last post, i have heard of double triggers being even harder to tune due to the added weight of the trigger.  you may want to consider trying just the single trigger and see if it works any better.

QFT

Most of the time you can test this by just using one finger on the top half of the trigger.
mechanikmike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mechanikmike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2008 at 8:54pm
I read somewhere that a double trigger is recommended for use with the
R/T someone wrote that it made finding the sweet spot easier, but I found
after installing one first off buy the Tippmann double trigger unless you like
to push the trigger forward after every shot, and the extra leverage of the
double trigger makes it easier for your finger to overcome the R/T piston
force, so all I use is the top half of the trigger, I leave the double trigger on
cause I like the looks of it
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic