Tippmann Paintball Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Paintball Equipment > Which Gun is Best
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

I’m thinking about...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FarSeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I’m thinking about...
    Posted: 14 October 2008 at 8:45pm
buying my first autococker but, I know very little about these markers. Which
kind should I get? What should I look into as far as upgrades? Should I look
into an eblade or mech? How hard are they to maintain (timing and all of
that)?
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
b-YOU-ick. Was that so hard?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2008 at 6:07pm

Since no one will help you, I'll chime in. For a first 'cocker, I'd suggest looking for a basic 2k4 Vert (Prostock). That was my first model, and I loved it. They're all essentially the same, so feel free to get whatever, but the Verts/Prostocks should be a lot cheaper. As for electronic or mech, that's up to you. For sheer performance, there's no denying the benefits of an E-Blade or Race frame, but for that magical feel 'cockers are known for, mech is the way to go. In regards to timing, it's really not as difficult as people make it out to be. At least when you get the hang of it. If you get an electro 'cocker, the timing is all electronic (basically dwell).

So in conclusion, the E-'cocker would be the most practical and easiest to maintain, but the mech would have that certain magic to it us 'cocker nuts have come to love. :)

Evil Elvis: "Detrevni is definally like a hillbilly hippy from hell"

FarSeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FarSeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2008 at 12:29am
Thanks, DeTrevni. So basically, what I've taken in so far suggests that all
autocockers can accept the same upgrades with the exception of the Trilogy
and some others (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong). I also love the feeling
of being able to build a marker up from an inferior state to an extreme state
(like my E-Bolt project). I'd enjoy using a classic more than using a high
performance gun in this case so mech sounds good to me.
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
b-YOU-ick. Was that so hard?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2008 at 9:40pm
Well, yes and no. There are different types of 'cockers that have subtle differences. Let's start with the basics. The pre-2K 'cockers have a smaller diamater banjo bolt to fit the smaller valve chamber. Also, their bodies were wider, so you'd need to have a pre-2K vertical ASA as well. Then there's Evo-length 'cocker bolts. These are shorter bolts for P-blocked 'cockers, such as earlier STO's. And then there's the mini-'cocker. These use shorter timing rods and pump arms. Other than that, yeah, 'cocker parts are pretty much universal. That's why I'm starting to not understand the fuss over expensive bodies. I mean yeah, I love my Ripper, but just know that a 2K4 Prostock can be made to shoot just as good as anything else out there.
Evil Elvis: "Detrevni is definally like a hillbilly hippy from hell"

FarSeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FarSeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2008 at 1:30am
That's good to know. This'll be a fun project for me.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic