Tippmann Paintball Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Paintball Equipment > Gun Maintenace and Repair
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

68 Carbine Problem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prof Frink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 68 Carbine Problem
    Posted: 14 November 2008 at 9:58am
When I screw my tank in I can hear air leaking.  THe sound is coming from the barrel.  The tank O-ring seal get replaced regularly.  Does anyone have a clue about this?  I notice O-ring kits are no longer available.  This marker is in excellent condition but this may be the end of the line if I can fix this.  Any help is greatly appreciated.
BearClaw View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BearClaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2008 at 12:05pm
Double check to see if the front bolt o-ring is in good.  If not that oring is the same as a bottle o-ring so your good to go.

AGD 68 Automag
Azodin KPII
Sheridan PGP2K
Tippmann Crossover XVR
Tippmann ProCarbine
Tippmann SL68-II
Tippmann TiPX
Prof Frink View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prof Frink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2008 at 12:43pm
I will give it a shot.  THANKS!!
FarSeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FarSeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2008 at 5:37pm
Do you cock your gun before you screw in your tank? That should solve it.
Sometimes the hammer pushes on the valve pin causing it to leak.
ShortyBP View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

A G F Y

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShortyBP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2008 at 10:55pm
Might be the valve as well.

Before you screw in your tank in, put a few drops of oil (I use Hoppes No9 lubricating oil) in the small hole inside the ASA... screw the tank in, dry fire a couple times (with the barrel OFF, so you don't get oil in it). This should get a bit of oil inside the valve.

If it still leaks out of the barrel... might just need to further examine the valve. Might still be able to send the valve in to Tippmann for rebuilding as well.

No need to retire the 68Carb unless you want to!
68Carb was my first Tippmann... and remains my favorite.
Enos Shenk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
~-o@

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enos Shenk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2008 at 4:09pm
Down the barrel leaks almost always signify a bad valve o-ring. Or you just forgot to cock the gun before airing it up.

The o-rings can be found many places, you just need the size. Check my sticky post "Tippmann replacement parts guide" in this forum section.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prof Frink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2008 at 5:31pm
Thanks for all of the suggestions.  I replace the oring on the front of the bolt and no luck.  I will check out the other suggestions.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prof Frink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2008 at 6:47pm
I tried to cock before installing the tank.  It still leaks.  It must be the valve O-ring.
Enos Shenk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
~-o@

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enos Shenk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2008 at 8:49pm
Oops my replacement parts guide doesnt have carbine o-ring sizes. It should be the same size as the internal o-rings for 98 Customs, the CVX valve hasnt really changed much over the years.

Assuming it is a CVX valve 68c. Some of them early on were made with the prolite valve style.
TinMan View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TinMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2008 at 10:55pm

I bought a ProCarb doing the same thing.

Someone had put the front bolt in backwards! Seriously.

The bolt link hole should be at the rear of the front bolt.
If it's backward, the bolt link holds the rear hammer against
the valve.

It's a stretch but worth a look if it's apart

thejudge View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thejudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2008 at 11:12pm
also if you do need a new o ring check ebay.  they alays have o ring replacement kits for the older guns and usually are about 1 dollar with 1 dollar shipping.
Stay low, run fast, and hope that paintball doesn't hit your...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic