Tippmann Paintball Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Paintball Equipment > Which Gun is Best
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Pump

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Strike 1 F-bomb in link 9/29

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote K Hop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pump
    Posted: 31 January 2009 at 9:10am
So I might be looking to get a pump. I've only used them a couple times, so I don't really know what the best options would be. So if you guys could help me out there.

ammolord View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Started from the botttom, not there yet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ammolord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2009 at 11:13am
you could find an old cocker on ebay and put a pump kit on it. or you could get a phantom. or you could shell out the $600 for a CCM S6. there is also a company who is releasing a new pump in a few months thats allegedly gonna be $150.  **edit** forund the new pump http://www.azodin.com/kp/default.asp

Edited by ammolord - 31 January 2009 at 11:17am
PSN Tag: AmmoLord
XBL: xXAmmoLordXx

~Minister of Tinkering With Things That Go "BOOM!"(AKA Minister of Munitions)~
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2009 at 11:59am
My favorite reasonably priced pumps are my Sniper and my Phantom.  I don't play stock class (12 grams and horizontal feed tube) because I am usually using a pump in semi/full-auto games and prefer to have 45 rounds and either 6-9 ounces of CO2 or at least 13 cu. in. of air.  I don't really have a preference between the two markers because they are different enough that each essentially fills a different paintball niche:  The Phantom is perfect for when you want to run a really lightweight setup on the field.  It is much lighter than the Sniper even with the stock added.  The Sniper on the other hand is heavy duty enough that I can run it with a small hopper and a 23 cu. in. tank for when I want to carry a light setup (although it is much heavier than the Phantom in a similar configuration) or I can throw a 68 cu. in. tank and a 200 round gravity-fed hopper on it when I feel like carrying a heavier  pump setup on the field.  (The large tank/hopper just does not feel right on the Phantom.  Both are very accurate with the stock barrels although I run an Angle barrel kit on the Sniper and a Frantom I on the Phantom just so I don't have to deal with "rollout."  Maintenance on both is simple as well.  (Pump maintenance is pretty simple in general.)

My suggestion would be to find an older used pump to try out playing pump with before investing heavily in a fancier marker.  Basic Sniper or Phantoms can usually be found in the $150 range, although if your patient, cheaper deals can be found on auction sites.  (Both the Phantom and the Sniper were e-bay finds and I saved a bit, but I wasn't in a hurry to purchase either.)  If you buy a cheaper pump and don't like using it, then you've saved yourself some money; if you do like it, then you have a backup/loaner you can use to try and convince others to join the pump game.

Alternative (less expensive pumps) that I recommend would be the Tippmann SL68s or Kingman Hammers.  I have one of each and am impressed with both for the price.  The stock Tippmann barrel, although it is just an aluminum tube, is much more accurate than I expected while the brass-lined stock Kingman barrel is sweet.  Furthermore, these can be picked up for between 1/3 and 1/2 the price of the two pumps I mentioned earlier.  (Heck, I picked up the Hammer for $10 in non-functional condition and didn't spend more than a few dollars fixing it.)

t_hop View Drop Down
Streike 1, 5/16 filter dodge/inapp. link

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_hop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2009 at 12:03pm
omg has anyone seen the new ccm protype? its going to be there next pump and it's orgasmic. that would cost you alot too
Which style of pump play are you interested in? There are a few ways to go depending on what you think would be more condusive to  you. You could get a phantom which is super light, small, and compact, especially if you're playing stock class. ( playing only with 12 grams and 10 round tubes ) 
or you could get something a little more hefty like a sniper(autococker pump) and play with a hopper and tank, but not necessarily less mobile. 

Edited by t_hop - 31 January 2009 at 12:04pm
"I'm here to kick ass and chew bubblegum, and I'm all out of bubblegum."
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2009 at 12:19pm
A few things I should have put in above:
  • If you consider a Hammer, I recommend the original as opposed to the Hammer P or Hammer +
    • The P and + models have a plastic one piece grip frame (the entire lower receiver is one piece of plastic like some of the older basic Spyders) which can break easily.
    • My stock of spare Hammer parts came from a cheap purchase of a broken P model.
  • The SL 68 II is considered to be superior to the SL 68.  (The second version supposedly addressed some trigger reliability issues in the first version.)
    • There is a lip by the air-through grip ASA on the SL 68 II which can interfere with the use of some CO2 tanks by getting in the way of the blow-out disk during installation.  (I had to use a Lapco Dual Tank Adapter as an extender to get my 9 oz. to work.)
Lone_Wolf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lone_Wolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2009 at 10:19am
I used to use an old Maverick before I switched over to a semi marker. That thing sounded like a shotgun going off every time I pulled the trigger.

Push your limits hard enough, and you'll find you don't have any.
sinisterNorth View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
1 strike, language, 10/3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sinisterNorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2009 at 9:00pm
Look into an SL-68 II, Trracer, Maverick, or Hornet for now. Starting with an older pump gives you a real feel for the style. If you like it, you can look into something a nicer like a Sniper or a Phantom.

I play solely pump and I love it. Enjoy yourself.
Pumpker'd; (V.) When a pump player runs up and shoots you at point blank range because you thought 20bps made you good.
ammolord View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Started from the botttom, not there yet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ammolord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2009 at 4:54pm
Originally posted by t_hop t_hop wrote:

omg has anyone seen the new ccm protype? its going to be there next pump and it's orgasmic. that would cost you alot too 
its coming out as a $600 pump.
PSN Tag: AmmoLord
XBL: xXAmmoLordXx

~Minister of Tinkering With Things That Go "BOOM!"(AKA Minister of Munitions)~
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
b-YOU-ick. Was that so hard?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2009 at 5:22pm
Originally posted by ammolord ammolord wrote:

Originally posted by t_hop t_hop wrote:

its coming out as a $600 pump.

I really don't like CCM's new pump...

Now the J2 Legacy, THAT'S nice!
Evil Elvis: "Detrevni is definally like a hillbilly hippy from hell"

a_sock View Drop Down
closet MILSIMer, rides WAAHMbulance

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a_sock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2009 at 8:19pm
I really like the looks of older snipers, the s5, and the new pump from ccm looks absolutly sick. I like that simple look, I dont want anything with extreme milling. Just my tastes, and a little bit of my personality, i clean and maintain my guns very well.When I had a cocker, it was a pain to clean, so simple and easy to wipe off is something I look for. Anyone know if a cocker pump is easier or more difficult to maintain than a normal cocker(mech or electric, ive owned both)

Edited by a_sock - 05 February 2009 at 8:38pm
its easy to be famous, just set yourself on fire
sinisterNorth View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
1 strike, language, 10/3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sinisterNorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2009 at 10:27pm
My Sniper is so easy to clean. Granted, I fully disassemble but that's how you keep 'em in good working order. 

Pump kit > pneumatics.
Pumpker'd; (V.) When a pump player runs up and shoots you at point blank range because you thought 20bps made you good.
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2009 at 10:37pm
Originally posted by sinisterNorth sinisterNorth wrote:

Pump kit > pneumatics.

QFT
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2009 at 10:48pm

My toy. :D

Some more pics:
1,  2,  3,  4

Edited by DeTrevni - 05 February 2009 at 10:49pm

a_sock View Drop Down
closet MILSIMer, rides WAAHMbulance

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a_sock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2009 at 6:56am

personally I have no clue why boxguns and redux's are so expensive...

its easy to be famous, just set yourself on fire
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2009 at 3:46pm

What, $1,110 is too expensive for a simple Nelson-based pump with Phantom internals? Pish-posh.

Tongue

To be honest, a lot of it comes from the name and legacy behind them. At least with Ducks. I feel the price of Reduxes and Boxguns are actually fairly justified, as they are largely hand made. Remember, the Redux is half the price of a Duck. This is no junker though. This marker is extremely well built. The polish is gorgeous, the ano is thick, the tollerances are tight, and the workmanship is amazing. Not to mention, I've got serial number R022, and currently the only gloss black one, so that definitely helps justify it. Smile

arcticmonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arcticmonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2009 at 5:52pm
i think you need to write up a review detrev
p shooter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p shooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2009 at 12:23am
 I love my sl 68 II its cheap and reliable and accurate!!!
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2009 at 1:25pm
Originally posted by p shooter p shooter wrote:

What barrel are you using on it.  (I ask because I was very impressed with the stock barrel on mine; although, I will probably get a J&J just because I can.)
kurieitaa View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kurieitaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2009 at 2:34pm
Originally posted by Mack Mack wrote:

My suggestion would be to find an older used pump to try out playing pump with before investing heavily in a fancier marker.  Basic Sniper or Phantoms can usually be found in the $150 range, although if your patient, cheaper deals can be found on auction sites.  (Both the Phantom and the Sniper were e-bay finds and I saved a bit, but I wasn't in a hurry to purchase either.)  If you buy a cheaper pump and don't like using it, then you've saved yourself some money; if you do like it, then you have a backup/loaner you can use to try and convince others to join the pump game.

Alternative (less expensive pumps) that I recommend would be the Tippmann SL68s or Kingman Hammers. 

mack is right, no need to spend a left nut on a pump to find out that you dont like that kind of game style, it's a love/hate thing (it's just that simple).

the first pump i ever used was a brasseagle king cobra. nothing fancy but it got the job done.

Originally posted by DeTrevni DeTrevni wrote:

My toy. :D

Some more pics:
1,  2,  3,  4

sick redux detervni

Originally posted by p shooter p shooter wrote:

heh, i love my Nightmare, it's 21 years old and it still is relible and accurate.
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2009 at 4:56pm
^^^Nightmares are so cool looking.  (And that was back when BE still made good markers.)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic