Forum Home Forum Home > News And Views > Thoughts and Opinions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Medical Marijuana

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 20>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has to say "yes" to "are you a cop?"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2009 at 8:49am
Originally posted by Benjichang Benjichang wrote:

Originally posted by Reb Cpl Reb Cpl wrote:

MM claims are largely a load of crap. I can't support this with facts and figures, but you don't need to be a rocket scientist to realize this when the general response to it from its 'beneficiaries' is "WOOO, Legal Weed!"

Take an advil PM and go to sleep.

Wrong.

Legalize it.

Just like that.

If it eventually does get legalized, fine, I don't care, I don't use. But when it IS illegal for general use, sneaking through back doors via fraudulent claims just to get sort of speaks volumes, and doesn't really help the legalization process.
?

FreeEnterprise View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Not a card-carrying member of the DNC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2009 at 8:51am
I have a serious question to the many stoners on this board...

Is your life really that pathetic, that you need banned substances to get you "high" enough to enjoy life?
They tremble at my name...
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2009 at 8:58am
Originally posted by FreeEnterprise FreeEnterprise wrote:

I have a serious question to the many stoners on this board...

Is your life really that pathetic, that you need banned substances to get you "high" enough to enjoy life?

This discussion goes beyond that. Frankly, I don't give a damn what substance people choose to use in order to enjoy themselves. Whatever. Jumping on a 'holier than thou' bandwagon never produces results.

My problem with this is the abuse of the system which makes use of a generally banned substance for medical purposes.  "Gee, I...uh....have migraines and can't sleep....give me weed." Give me a break. 

Quite frankly, any doctor that prescribes MM to an adolescent or even people in their early 20s should be ejected from the medical profession. Do some of them have legitimate reasons for it?  Perhaps. But lets not kid ourselves by pretending that people like pb here need MM to get to sleep at night.

?

mbro View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Original Forum Gangster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2009 at 9:02am

[QUOTE=Benjichang]Just like that. If it eventually does get legalized, fine, I don't care, I don't use. But when it IS illegal for general use, sneaking through back doors via fraudulent claims just to get sort of speaks volumes, and doesn't really help the legalization process.
this

Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2009 at 9:08am
Ah, let em smoke...

they won't be able to have kids, survival of the fittest and all... (learned that in public school.)

"The soaring rate of testicular cancer in the UK and other Western countries is linked today to the increased popularity of cannabis. Testicular cancer has more than doubled over the past 30 years and its rise parallels that of the use of cannabis, Britain's most popular illegal drug.

Researchers in the US have found that men who regularly smoke cannabis have a 70 per cent increased risk of testicular cancer. The risk was highest – twice that of those who never used the drug – in those who smoked it at least once a week or had a long history of use, beginning in adolescence."

I always thought that guys that smoked pot, were a little "off"...

"Using marijuana seems to increase the chance of becoming psychotic, researchers report in an analysis of past research that reignites the issue of whether pot is dangerous.

The new review suggests that even infrequent use could raise the small but real risk of this serious mental illness by 40 percent."

smoke every day losers. Its "good" for you...
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2009 at 9:14am
Actually, I had a cousin who blamed his pregnant sister in law for him getting his girlfriend pregnant.

(What?)

They drove across Canada together, and since she was pregnant, he couldn't smoke around her. When they got back to where  they were going, one thing led to another, and the added swimmers to the race resulted in a new baby cousin.

At least that's his excuse. I thought it was funny.

?

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2009 at 9:15am

Actually, I had a cousin who blamed his pregnant sister in law for him getting his girlfriend pregnant.

(What?)

They drove across Canada together, and since she was pregnant, he couldn't smoke around her. When they got back to where  they were going, one thing led to another, and the added swimmers to the race resulted in a new baby cousin.

At least that's his excuse. I thought it was funny.

excuse... Thats pot logic... You see tons of it on this board everyday...

WHAT?
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not old, Not noob. May be Dave's grandma

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2009 at 9:55am

Originally posted by Fox News Article Fox News Article wrote:

The researchers said they couldn't prove that marijuana use itself increases the risk of psychosis, a category of several disorders with schizophrenia being the most commonly known.

There could be something else about marijuana users, "like their tendency to use other drugs or certain personality traits, that could be causing the psychoses," Zammit said.

Personally, I have no problem with legalization of pot.  No more addictive or harmful than alcohol IMO.  Other than legality, what's the difference between sparking up before going to a party and having a couple of drinks to loosen up?

brihard View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Making stuff up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brihard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2009 at 9:56am
`Selective Morality``. Hm, I like how you`re trying to suggest that Marijuana use is inherently immoral.

I`ve never touched the stuff, never will. I`ve never done any drugs, I do drink sometimes, I don`t smoke. I don`t see any moral difference between any of these though; that a person chooses to put in their body is their own business and noone elses so long as their is no actual harm caused to anyone else as a result. I have the freedom to drink my face off if I so choose, with the understanding that I`m still subject to all laws. If you or I can drink, it strikes me as the height of hypocrisy to say that another person is intrinsically in the wrong simply ebcause they choose to smoke pot. Now, I take issue with some of the more refined synthetic hard drugs, but the social costs of Marijuana use are negligible compared to the costs of smoking and drinking.

Simply because something has been deemed to be illegal does not make it wrong. We as human beings in a free society have the freedom to do dumb things for our own enjoyment if we so choose, and as long as no harm is done to others. Unfortunately the law has remained inconsistent and hypocritical in some respects. I feel that most such `Vice`laws are messed up.
"Abortion is not "choice" in America. It is forced and the democrats are behind it, with the goal of eugenics at its foundation."

-FreeEnterprise, 21 April 2011.

Yup, he actually said that.
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2009 at 10:01am
Bri, I agree with you, I do. Being a fan of sporadic alcohol consumption myself, it is completely hypocritical to judge one for smoking marijuana.

However. The means which are used to obtain it are what I have a problem with. Exploiting a shoddily constructed system which legally distributes a controlled substance for medical purposes just so you can wave a prescription in the face of authority and giggle like a 13 year old girl because you conned some moron in the medical profession with a sniveling excuse about headaches and lack of sleep....this is problematic.

?

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2009 at 10:02am
Originally posted by brihard brihard wrote:

`Selective Morality``. Hm, I like how you`re trying to suggest that Marijuana use is inherently immoral.

Yeah, I'm funny like that.

When something is illegal. I find that doing it anyway is kind of immoral...
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2009 at 10:05am

Kinda like doing side jobs under the table?
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2009 at 10:10am
Originally posted by oldpbnoob oldpbnoob wrote:

Kinda like doing side jobs under the table?

exactly!
jmac3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Official Box Hoister

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmac3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2009 at 10:16am

Legality=/=morality.

Marijuana should be legal with or without legitimate medical applications. I have yet to see anyone so high they can't function. There is no science involved in my observations, but I have never seen driving affected at all by smoking.

I do agree with Reb though. If they're going to  have medical marijuana they shouldn't give it to people for just about every reason that someone can think of.
Que pasa?

Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2009 at 10:22am
I think that that claims like PB's, which I'm about 95% certain are full of horse crap, based strictly on his conversations around here- completely destroy the 'Legalize it' argument.

Having people sneak around the back door to get the stuff isn't going to help your case. Devote your time to legitimately arguing for the legalization of it, rather than trying to conjure up some lame ass excuse to defraud the taxpayers and the healthcare system, which had problems enough of its own.

?

jmac3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Official Box Hoister

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmac3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2009 at 10:25am
I don't think his claims are false. Well I hope not. It would be rather dumb if he walked in and was like "oh I have a headache and can't sleep" and they gave him weed.

I would hope they at least diagnosed it, and maybe tried something else first.
Que pasa?

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2009 at 10:27am
Originally posted by jmac3 jmac3 wrote:

Legality=/=morality.

Marijuana should be legal with or without legitimate medical applications. I have yet to see anyone so high they can't function. There is no science involved in my observations, but I have never seen driving affected at all by smoking.

Thank you for proving my "relative morality" quote...

Edited by FreeEnterprise - 26 March 2009 at 10:28am
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2009 at 10:34am
Originally posted by jmac3 jmac3 wrote:

I don't think his claims are false. Well I hope not. It would be rather dumb if he walked in and was like "oh I have a headache and can't sleep" and they gave him weed.

I would hope they at least diagnosed it, and maybe tried something else first.

You're right, maybe I'm being too hard on PB125, for that I apologize.

I'm sure that there's a diagnosis and a prescription, but I still firmly believe that this sort of thing is abused more than anyone would like to admit. Come on, Why a thread about it other than to say "haha, look what I got!"
?

Zata View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2009 at 10:43am
I think it should be made legal, but strongly regulated like alcohol and tobacco.  I don't know, maybe make the buying age 21, and have a big tax on it.  The states can make money off of it and still enforce laws like MIPs.  Depending on how and where its manufactured, it would probably create new jobs as well.  I don't think legal marijuana is any worse than alcohol being legal.
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2009 at 10:47am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 20>
  Share Topic