Forum Home Forum Home > News And Views > Thoughts and Opinions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Medical Marijuana

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819 20>
Author
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - language 6.29.10

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2009 at 1:38am
Originally posted by High Voltage High Voltage wrote:

I would like to hear your opinion on edibles and other non smoked forms of the drug.

Already stated in one of the first few pages of this thread.

Linus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2009 at 1:42am
Originally posted by TheDude TheDude wrote:

You know, if you can BS through 16 pages, and throw back handed insults and ridiculous fabricated factoids D.A.R.E. handed out to you in the 6th grade, then you're gad-dang right I'm going to be rude back to you. I just don't care enough to mask my ill intentions. I'll just come right out and treat you poorly. Just because you're wasting everyone's time here, and further perpetuating this seemingly endless cycle of people thinking drugs are bad because they're illegal, and they're illegal because they're bad. All the claims you've made have either been made up, or proven to be wrong via quoting medical doctor's statements.You. Are. Wrong."But opinions cant be wrong!!!"They can if they were formed from poor information.

That's all good and dandy, but seeing as how we went through 15 pages without anyone calling anyone a name, or acting immature in any fashion other then 'lol weed', having an adult conversation, and you were the first,

"You. Are. Wrong."

TheDude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2009 at 3:42am
Alright, whatever man, this must have been really important to you. haha. I'm checking out with pb on this one.
"According to Sue Johanson, theres nothing that can increase your manhood, trust me I've already looked into it for myself." -Zata

<keep the sigs friendly, please>
FreeEnterprise View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Not a card-carrying member of the DNC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2009 at 8:01am
I can't believe you guys are still fussing around about this... Guess it takes a ton of facts to get through the smoky haze you call "consciousness".

Here are some facts for you to burn through...

I'm glad Sagan was mentioned... Since many doctors believe the disease he contracted came from his altered DNA caused by marijuana... Guess you bypassed that little diddy, huh, dopers.

"Researchers in America have found that blood from marijauna smokers has nearly three times as many DNA mutations as that of non-smokers. "

Also, I find it funny that you guys bring up Phelps... Who has had his endorsements (which is how you make money as an athlete) destroyed by ONE photo of him smoking pot...

Which once again proves the point... ITS ILLEGAL! Don't do it, unless you don't care if you ruin your future...

Woo Hoo!

Pot causes testicular cancer... That sounds great, huh!

Whoo Hoo!
Marijuana causes memory problems, and emotional problems for patients with MS. (who would have guessed...)

Proof of this fact is evident by reading this thread...

Marijuana causes BRAIN DAMAGE. Whoo, Woot, your "retarded" from your last hit... (not "retarded as in bad, I'm just using the term like Obama did...)

High Potency Marijuana Causes Paranoia and Psychosis

Yeah! Marijuana causes mental illness, Whoot, Woo!

Wow, Skin cancer caused by marijuana.

Oh, Oh, Lead poisoning too. Yes, that is always fun!

Man, a party isn't a party until you get lead poison, and the following...

"Twenty patients were recently admitted to University Hospital Leipzig, Germany for the treatment of lead poisoning after smoking marijuana. Admissions occurred over a period of 3-4 months, and all of the patients were 16 to 33 years of age.

One of the patient required abdominal surgery, one had severe mental changes as the result of encephalopathy (brain disease); accompanied by hallucinations. Primary symptoms included abdominal cramps, nausea, anemia, and fatigue. Another patient experienced permanent paralysis of the forearm.

Investigation uncovered a common pattern among those treated – all were young, unemployed, or were students, and they all provided a history of smoking. Additionally, they all had body piercings; eventually admitting to smoking marijuana with a water pipe, or rolled into a joint."
Here is some more "pot logic"... "Hey, there ain't lead in pot...  Your making stuff up free..."

"It took eight weeks to find the source of the problem - it seems that lead was deliberately added to the marijuana to increase the weight and street value by an estimated 10%. The lead, grayish in appearance, was not noticeable to the consumers."

They tremble at my name...
little devil View Drop Down
one language strike, 2/23/10

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote little devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2009 at 9:07am

Taxing it past what it's already taxed by dealers would make it a retarded amount of money to buy the stuff. Which leads me to believe that alot of the people growing now wouldnt stop and just under sell the  government.  And I imagine ALOT of organized crime depends on the money they get from pot. Though I find it hard to believe http://bcmarijuanaparty.com/v2/node/25  this sites claims 10 billion a year in B.C.  going to organized crime because marijuana.

Edited by little devil - 01 April 2009 at 9:09am
FreeEnterprise View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Not a card-carrying member of the DNC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2009 at 10:23am
They tremble at my name...
rednekk98 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dead man...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rednekk98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2009 at 11:12am
I'm not advocating getting baked out of your brain, but your sources could use some critiquing.

Originally posted by FreeEnterprise FreeEnterprise wrote:

I can't believe you guys are still fussing around about this... Guess it takes a ton of facts to get through the smoky haze you call "consciousness".

Here are some facts for you to burn through...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/141891.stm
Smoking causes cancer? Welcome to 1960

I'm glad Sagan was mentioned... Since many doctors believe the disease he contracted came from his altered DNA caused by marijuana... Guess you bypassed that little diddy, huh, dopers.

"Researchers in America have found that blood from marijauna smokers has nearly three times as many DNA mutations as that of non-smokers. "

Also, I find it funny that you guys bring up Phelps... Who has had his endorsements (which is how you make money as an athlete) destroyed by ONE photo of him smoking pot...
As for Phelps, it's illegal and stupid, but he's a phenominal athlete. If his advertisers want to drop him for being a bad influence on kids who buy wheaties, that's there call to make. But why the hell does A-Rod still have advertisers? Evidence for harmful effects of roids is stronger than MJ,(long term health & mental impairment, roid rage anyone?) is illegal and effects his performance.  

Which once again proves the point... ITS ILLEGAL! Don't do it, unless you don't care if you ruin your future...

Woo Hoo!

Pot causes testicular cancer... That sounds great, huh!
http://www.motleyhealth.com/articles/2009/02/marijuana-causes-testicular-cancer.html 
this is one of the more convincing articles, and not just because of the target area

Whoo Hoo!
Marijuana causes memory problems, and emotional problems for patients with MS. (who would have guessed...)

http://www.news-medical.net/?id=35331
this still appears to only effect the portion of the population with MS

Proof of this fact is evident by reading this thread...

Marijuana causes BRAIN DAMAGE. Whoo, Woot, your "retarded" from your last hit... (not "retarded as in bad, I'm just using the term like Obama did...)
http://esciencenews.com/sources/science.alert/2008/06/04/marijuana.can.causes.brain.damage
President Obama bashed the special olympics, but did not use the word "retarded". Beer and cigarettes also kill brain cells, and they're legal

High Potency Marijuana Causes Paranoia and Psychosis

http://ezinearticles.com/?High-Potency-Marijuana--Causes-Paranoia-and-Psychosis&id=1819067
This article shows correlation, not causation. It sounds like it is triggering episodes in people who were psychotic in the first place

Yeah! Marijuana causes mental illness, Whoot, Woo!

http://www.webmd.com/mental-health/news/20050503/federal-report-marijuana-causes-mental-illness?src=rss_foxnews
At least read the whole headline. This may be politically driven, but I don't think even any of the hardcore potheads on this forum would argue in favor of people younger than 12 smoking.

Wow, Skin cancer caused by marijuana.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,291735,00.html
The virus causes it, the MJ lowers your resitence to the virus.

Oh, Oh, Lead poisoning too. Yes, that is always fun!
http://stanford.wellsphere.com/general-medicine-article/lead-in-marijuana-causes-poisoning/132302
Dealers are dirtbags, surprise, surprise. Have your children ever owned toys made in china?

Man, a party isn't a party until you get lead poison, and the following...

"Twenty patients were recently admitted to University Hospital Leipzig, Germany for the treatment of lead poisoning after smoking marijuana. Admissions occurred over a period of 3-4 months, and all of the patients were 16 to 33 years of age.

One of the patient required abdominal surgery, one had severe mental changes as the result of encephalopathy (brain disease); accompanied by hallucinations. Primary symptoms included abdominal cramps, nausea, anemia, and fatigue. Another patient experienced permanent paralysis of the forearm.

Investigation uncovered a common pattern among those treated – all were young, unemployed, or were students, and they all provided a history of smoking. Additionally, they all had body piercings; eventually admitting to smoking marijuana with a water pipe, or rolled into a joint."
Here is some more "pot logic"... "Hey, there ain't lead in pot...  Your making stuff up free..."

"It took eight weeks to find the source of the problem - it seems that lead was deliberately added to the marijuana to increase the weight and street value by an estimated 10%. The lead, grayish in appearance, was not noticeable to the consumers."

Since this is a medicinal thread, I would hope that any doctor would be able to weigh risks and benifits when prescribing MM to patients. Doctors prescribe meds with side effects all the time, some are more serious than these, and possibly more common, although data is not avilable.

As for the talk about legalization, the drug gangs in Mexico get 65%-70% of their revenue from pot, and I have to wonder about the severed feet that wash up in Canada. The repealing of prohibition certainly tuned down the gang-violence fuel by running booze, and my state of MA hasn't gone to hell in a handbasket since pot was decriminalized.

As a society we value the liberty that allows us to occasionally do dangerous things and generally seem to prefer trsuting the individual to make good choices. We can and shoot and own high capactiy, semi-automatic firearms that shoot bullets made out of toxic lead, or buy enough booze to kill ourselves. We can jump motorcycles over flaming schoolbusses, text/shave/drink coffee while driving etc. and if someone wants to try to outlaw stupidity we complain that it restricts our liberty. I don't see how you, or many other conservatives, can reconcile you allegedly conservative beliefs of a less-restrictive government while being for government restriction on a relativly harmless drug, gay marriage, and would support forcing children to learn intelligent design in school, which is inherintly a religous philosophy. That's right up there in my book with "liberals" being against killing convicted violent criminals and for killing unborn fetuses. I'm convinced that neither traditional conservatives or liberals have any regard for individual liberty and are more concerned with restricting things the opposing side likes to do.

Edited by rednekk98 - 01 April 2009 at 11:18am
Linus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2009 at 11:16am
Originally posted by rednekk98 rednekk98 wrote:

restricting things the opposing sides likes to do.

Yeah, pretty much.

Rambino View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I am even less fun in person

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rambino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2009 at 11:18am
I suspect I missed some of the discussion in the last 17 pages, but anyway:

1.  The FDA has never approved a plant for medicinal use.  Not once.  There are several reasons, but a major reason is that plants and other "natural" products contain a large number of chemicals instead of a single compound, which makes testing difficult and the results unreliable.  Moreover, it is almost a certainty that some of the compounds are harmful and at the same time unnecessary for the medicinal benefits.  Instead, the practice of modern medicine has been to isolate the useful compounds from natural sources.  These compounds are what the FDA approves.

2.  The FDA has never approved any drug for delivery by smoking.  This delivery system is generally inefficient and erratic, and usually harmful.  Dosing cannot be properly managed by smoking, and there are usually significant carcinogens involved in smoking.

3.  There has been a fair amount of research on the medicinal value of THC.  There is much study yet to be done, but THC at a minimum appears to have good anti-inflammatory qualities, and may have significant therapeutic value in a variety of applications.

4.  There are at least two FDA-approved THC products on the market in pill form.  Apparently the manufacturers are working on an inhaler delivery system as well.  These products deliver all the benefits of THC in a safe and carefully dosed manner, without the side effects of smoking or the negative effects of the non-THC chemicals found in marijuana au natural.

Based primarily on these observations (and internet discussions such as this one), my conclusion is that "medical marijuana" is a load of BS, a lame excuse for people to dodge state/federal drug laws.  If THC is useful for you, then your doctor can prescribe Marinol.  Every doctor I know would consider it malpractice to prescribe marijuana, simply because it isn't a very good medicine and has harmful side effects - not to mention that the source of the "medicine" is often not reputable.  And moreover, for most patients the benefits of THC in current use can be had from other sources with greater effect.

Edited by Rambino - 01 April 2009 at 12:03pm
[IMG]http://i38.tinypic.com/aag8s8.jpg">
agentwhale007 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum's Noam Chomsky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2009 at 11:39am
Much like THC can help alleviate inflammation and nausea in humans, Rambino can help alleviate stupid and poor arguments in threads.

Clap
procarbinefreak View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Budget Medical Procedures Available

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote procarbinefreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2009 at 12:18pm
I like how FE just reads the title of some of the articles posted.

i lol'd at the lead poisoning one. 
choopie911 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2009 at 3:08pm
Originally posted by Rambino Rambino wrote:

1. The FDA has never approved a plant for medicinal use. Not once. There are several reasons, but a major reason is that plants and other "natural" products contain a large number of chemicals instead of a single compound, which makes testing difficult and the results unreliable. Moreover, it is almost a certainty that some of the compounds are harmful and at the same time unnecessary for the medicinal benefits. Instead, the practice of modern medicine has been to isolate the useful compounds from natural sources. These compounds are what the FDA approves.

2. The FDA has never approved any drug for delivery by smoking. This delivery system is generally inefficient and erratic, and usually harmful. Dosing cannot be properly managed by smoking, and there are usually significant carcinogens involved in smoking.

3. There has been a fair amount of research on the medicinal value of THC. There is much study yet to be done, but THC at a minimum appears to have good anti-inflammatory qualities, and may have significant therapeutic value in a variety of applications.

4. There are at least two FDA-approved THC products on the market in pill form. Apparently the manufacturers are working on an inhaler delivery system as well. These products deliver all the benefits of THC in a safe and carefully dosed manner, without the side effects of smoking or the negative effects of the non-THC chemicals found in marijuana au natural.

Based primarily on these observations (and internet discussions such as this one), my conclusion is that "medical marijuana" is a load of BS, a lame excuse for people to dodge state/federal drug laws. If THC is useful for you, then your doctor can prescribe Marinol. Every doctor I know would consider it malpractice to prescribe marijuana, simply because it isn't a very good medicine and has harmful side effects - not to mention that the source of the "medicine" is often not reputable. And moreover, for most patients the benefits of THC in current use can be had from other sources with greater effect.

What is your view on personal consumption? Forget the medical mumbo jumbo, this isn't claiming any health wonder cures or anything, just want to be able to use it lawfully. As there still isn't really a legitimate reason for it to be illegal in the first place don't you think consenting adults partaking in a substance less harmful than MANY substances we eat regularly, and legally should be ok?
Rambino View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rambino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2009 at 7:03pm
Entirely different question.

Toke up all you want.  I don't care.  I might care if you worked for me, were dating my daughter, or standing too close, but otherwise blaze away.

I think I have been pretty clear that I support legalization of almost all recreational drugs, for a variety of reasons.  But that does not make the medicinal marijuana scam any less lame.

High Voltage View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Fire in the disco

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High Voltage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2009 at 7:10pm
Hey Rambs, just curious, have you watched The Union?
Rambino View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rambino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2009 at 7:28pm
Never heard of it.
obnoxious View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote obnoxious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2009 at 7:45pm

1.  The FDA has never approved a plant for medicinal use.  Not once.  There are several reasons, but a major reason is that plants and other "natural" products contain a large number of chemicals instead of a single compound, which makes testing difficult and the results unreliable.  Moreover, it is almost a certainty that some of the compounds are harmful and at the same time unnecessary for the medicinal benefits.  Instead, the practice of modern medicine has been to isolate the useful compounds from natural sources.  These compounds are what the FDA approves.

2.  The FDA has never approved any drug for delivery by smoking.  This delivery system is generally inefficient and erratic, and usually harmful.  Dosing cannot be properly managed by smoking, and there are usually significant carcinogens involved in smoking.

3.  There has been a fair amount of research on the medicinal value of THC.  There is much study yet to be done, but THC at a minimum appears to have good anti-inflammatory qualities, and may have significant therapeutic value in a variety of applications.

4.  There are at least two FDA-approved THC products on the market in pill form.  Apparently the manufacturers are working on an inhaler delivery system as well.  These products deliver all the benefits of THC in a safe and carefully dosed manner, without the side effects of smoking or the negative effects of the non-THC chemicals found in marijuana au natural.

Based primarily on these observations (and internet discussions such as this one), my conclusion is that "medical marijuana" is a load of BS, a lame excuse for people to dodge state/federal drug laws.  If THC is useful for you, then your doctor can prescribe Marinol.  Every doctor I know would consider it malpractice to prescribe marijuana, simply because it isn't a very good medicine and has harmful side effects - not to mention that the source of the "medicine" is often not reputable.  And moreover, for most patients the benefits of THC in current use can be had from other sources with greater effect.

I appreciate your latter comments on recreational use, and though I do see your hesitation in calling medicinal marijuana legitimate, I have to keep insisting that there is a use for the substance.

Marinol is indeed a direct, non smoked source of THC that does work for many people. The problem lies in the fact that marijuana itself contains around sixty or seventy additional
cannabinoids, many of which provide additional therapuetic benefit. There has also been some comments that suggest Marinol is in itself more pyschoactive than traditional cannabis, which in a medical sense, would be completely unecessary.

I have uncles and aunts that are doctors, and though I think they would not prescribe marijuana as a primary means of medication, I know that they are not opposed to the idea of cannabis being used as a therapeutic agent. Some people light up, or vaporize, some marijuana as a quick means of comfort with what I would consider zero side effects. Who should delineate between legal and illegal medicine? Shouldn't the patient be able to medicate himself as he wishes, provided he does no harm to others? It is completely tyrannical when those who are not afflicted make decisions for those who are and claim to know what kind of personal impact it has on them. Regardless, it should not even be an issue of it's effectiveness in treating illness as compared to other drugs. As long as you concede there is some benefit to marijuana usage, then it is considered medicine. It's comparison to other drugs is completely moot when you are talking about legalization.
choopie911 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2009 at 8:46pm

Never heard of it.

Thanks for reading my posts then jerk, I linked to it a couple pages ago. And the dude up there has a point. As I already explained, marinol simply isn't a suitable alternative.
You Wont See Me View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Found in Big Al’s underwear drawer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Wont See Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2009 at 9:14pm
Originally posted by obnoxious obnoxious wrote:

Shouldn't the patient be able to medicate himself as he wishes...?

No, that's why we have doctors and prescriptions.

Edited by You Wont See Me - 01 April 2009 at 9:14pm
A-5
E-Grip
JCS Dual Trigger
DOP X-CORE 8 stage x-chamber
Lapco Bigshot 14" Beadblasted

Optional setup:
R/T
Dead on Blade trigger
Glassjaw View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Took down Mike Tyson

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glassjaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2009 at 9:38pm
Originally posted by You Wont See Me You Wont See Me wrote:

Originally posted by obnoxious obnoxious wrote:

Shouldn't the patient be able to medicate himself as he wishes...?

No, that's why we have doctors and prescriptions.

Doctors are there for suggestions, not to enforce upon you what to do.

Besides that, medical marijuana is prescribed.

Edited by Glassjaw - 01 April 2009 at 9:38pm
The desire for polyester is just to powerful.
IMPULS3. View Drop Down
Guested

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IMPULS3. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2009 at 9:46pm
Seems like everyone who are opposed to legalizing, are the ones who need to smoke. It would calm you guys down a little, or drink some scotch. I don't care, just do something.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819 20>
  Share Topic