Forum Home Forum Home > News And Views > Thoughts and Opinions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Medical Marijuana

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 20>
Author
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Fire in the disco

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High Voltage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2009 at 2:04pm
So for all those on here suggesting it is wrong to use marijuana simply because it is illegal, do you even know how it became illegal?

Also, one thing I am always interested in, how many people favor decriminalization vs. legalization? I support decriminalization, and if that leads to legalization then hooray, but just decriminalizing it would be fine by me.

Hey pb125, has the DEA stopped raiding dispensaries yet?

Edited by High Voltage - 26 March 2009 at 2:07pm
The eMike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The eMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2009 at 2:09pm
Originally posted by Reb Cpl Reb Cpl wrote:

Originally posted by jmac3 jmac3 wrote:

I don't think his claims are false. Well I hope not. It would be rather dumb if he walked in and was like "oh I have a headache and can't sleep" and they gave him weed.

I would hope they at least diagnosed it, and maybe tried something else first.

You're right, maybe I'm being too hard on PB125, for that I apologize.

I'm sure that there's a diagnosis and a prescription, but I still firmly believe that this sort of thing is abused more than anyone would like to admit. Come on, Why a thread about it other than to say "haha, look what I got!"

That sums it up actually.

I think that that claims like PB's, which I'm about 95% certain are full of horse crap, based strictly on his conversations around here- completely destroy the 'Legalize it' argument.

Having people sneak around the back door to get the stuff isn't going to help your case. Devote your time to legitimately arguing for the legalization of it, rather than trying to conjure up some lame ass excuse to defraud the taxpayers and the healthcare system, which had problems enough of its own.

That has done a lot of good.

jmac3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Official Box Hoister

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmac3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2009 at 2:13pm
Originally posted by The eMike The eMike wrote:

I don't think his claims are false. Well I hope not. It would be rather dumb if he walked in and was like "oh I have a headache and can't sleep" and they gave him weed.

I'm sure that there's a diagnosis and a prescription, but I still firmly believe that this sort of thing is abused more than anyone would like to admit. Come on, Why a thread about it other than to say "haha, look what I got!"

Well, that's kind of pathetic
Que pasa?

The eMike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The eMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2009 at 2:19pm

It is what it is.

Weed should be legal anyways if alcohol can be.  Both play huge factors in the economy.
slackerr26 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Strike 2 - language, 8/20

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slackerr26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2009 at 2:32pm

It is what it is.

Weed should be legal anyways if alcohol can be.  Both play huge factors in the economy.

how so?
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has to say "yes" to "are you a cop?"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2009 at 2:41pm

It is what it is.

Right. and defrauding the taxpayers is the way to make sure it gets legalized.
?

stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2009 at 2:43pm
Originally posted by High Voltage High Voltage wrote:

So for all those on here suggesting it is wrong to use marijuana simply because it is illegal, do you even know how it became illegal?

Also, one thing I am always interested in, how many people favor decriminalization vs. legalization? I support decriminalization, and if that leads to legalization then hooray, but just decriminalizing it would be fine by me.

I don't think why pot is illegal is relevant to the discussion-we're talking about relative morals. I.E. I don't think it's wrong, therefore I have the right to bypass the law. For some reason a vast majority of people that smoke pot feel like that's their right, and that somehow their human right to consume weed bypasses any type of legal process.

The undisputable fact is that is not most people's right to smoke pot. It is, in fact, illegal, and will not become a right until it's legalized.

And again, for the record, I could care less. I've smoked plenty of pot, but just because I did it doesn't make it morally sound. I like to street race as well, but I'll be the first to admit it's not my right to do that.

IMPULS3. View Drop Down
Guested

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IMPULS3. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2009 at 2:56pm
The MM organization has done wonders.

FreeEnterprise View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Not a card-carrying member of the DNC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2009 at 3:03pm
So what do the Obamabots think about this?

Obama joked at one point about the most popular question from his online audience—whether he favored legalizing marijuana and could that turn around the economy.

"I don't know what this says about the online audience," he said with a smile, adding that he opposed legalizing the illicit drug.

They tremble at my name...
scotchyscotch View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Truly a shining example to you all.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scotchyscotch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2009 at 3:08pm
If it became legal then the government would tax it to hell.

End result it costs more. Good thing?

Get off the bandwagon and go see your friendly neighbourhood grass dealer. It's not like it's hard to get.
FreeEnterprise View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Not a card-carrying member of the DNC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2009 at 3:13pm
now you guys will be running TOWARD those black helicopters...

"The federal government is giving crack and powder cocaine, morphine, and other hard-core drugs to taxpayer-funded researchers for testing on addicts, The Examiner has learned.

For decades, the government has authorized, funded and lobbied for studies in which otherwise illegal drugs were given to addicts in cities such as Washington, Bethesda, Baltimore, New York, Minneapolis and San Antonio. The studies continue today and have an array of aims, from documenting the ways cocaine warps the brain to the intensity of pain from morphine withdrawal."

They tremble at my name...
choopie911 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2009 at 3:20pm
What a completely irrevelevent and unrelated thing to bring up FE, how very like you.
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not old, Not noob. May be Dave's grandma

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2009 at 3:20pm
Originally posted by slackerr26 slackerr26 wrote:

It is what it is.

how so?

Linus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - language 6.29.10

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2009 at 3:30pm
Plenty of other avenues to get drugged up to kill the pain. Any opioid derivative does the job. Yes, there are drawbacks, but that goes for EVERY drug, INCLUDING marijuana.

Is marijuana addictive? Yes, and any argument otherwise is ludicrous.

Any substance or activity that makes you choose it over something more important, is called an addictive drug. Are all people that take marijuana addicted to it? Not at all, just like not everyone that does meth or PCP or LSD or crack are addicted to those drugs.   Yes, there are people addicted to alcohol, but that doesn't help your case either.

Yes, marijuana does have a much lower addiction rate then the aforementioned drugs, but that doesn't make it any 'better'. People still suffer from withdrawals if taken off of it. Still get tremors. Still have the urge and need to have it. Addiction is still addiction.

The pro-legalization group always cites that alcohol is legalized, so why shouldn't marijuana? Few different things that stand alcohol apart from marijuana.

1) Proven benefit to your health. A glass of red wine a day is recommenced to help your heart.

2) The point of drinking is not to get drunk, but to get buzzed. You can't get buzzed on marijuana. You're either high or you're not.

3) The sheer amount of alcohol required to inhibit normal activity, in general, is much higher then to get the same results from marijuana. One marijuana cigerette gets you high. One beer, or one shot of hard liquour, will not get the average person drunk.

4) The delivery methods are different. Alcohol is ingested. The most common form for marijuana delivery is smoking it. Anyone who thinks smoking a substance, ANY SUBSTANCE, is good for you, is an idiot. Smoke is detrimental to your health, no matter how you spin it.

Now yes, you can ingest marijuana, but I don't see anyone arguing for the digestible kind, only the smoking kind.   If people were arguing for digestible marijuana, I wouldn't be such a staunch critic.

As I said, there are many other LEGAL avenues to kill the pain. Yes, addiction occurs in those as well, and no one denies that.   Morphine causes depression of the respiratory system.

I'm not denying the effectiveness of marijuana, but the arguments for it are not as valid as most people believe. A good portion of people that want medicinal marijuana legalized, do so because they also want to see marijuana legalized in whole, and having it as a medicine will make it just that much easier.

IMPULS3. View Drop Down
Guested

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IMPULS3. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2009 at 3:35pm
Originally posted by Linus Linus wrote:

2) The point of drinking is not to get drunk, b

Wait, what?
Benjichang View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
I pwned Leroy Jenkins!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benjichang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2009 at 3:36pm
Obama said multiple times during the campaign that he didn't support legalization, so that's nothing new, FE.

If we are going to legalize it, it's going to be up the states first anyway.

irc.esper.net
#paintball
Benjichang View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
I pwned Leroy Jenkins!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benjichang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2009 at 3:38pm
Also, wow, Linus.

irc.esper.net
#paintball
choopie911 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2009 at 3:39pm

2) The point of drinking is not to get drunk, but to get buzzed. You can't get buzzed on marijuana. You're either high or you're not.

There were many many points you used that discredited you, but I chose to go with this one. You clearly just don't know what you're talking about Linus.
Linus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - language 6.29.10

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2009 at 3:49pm
Originally posted by IMPULS3. IMPULS3. wrote:

Wait, what?

Outside of college.

oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not old, Not noob. May be Dave's grandma

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2009 at 3:54pm

Originally posted by IMPULS3. IMPULS3. wrote:

Wait, what?

Outside of college.
Really? Guess I need to quit getting drunk.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 20>
  Share Topic