Tippmann Paintball Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Paintball Equipment > Gun Maintenace and Repair
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

A5 was e-grip problem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malaki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A5 was e-grip problem
    Posted: 27 March 2009 at 1:33am
I have been looking through the posts regarding the problem I am having with my a5 e-grip and have not found an answer yet.  The issue is when I pull the trigger, I will hear the trigger click, but the gun will only fire every so often.  This happens on all 5 modes of firing.  If I put it on the full auto mode and hold down the trigger, I will get around 1 shot per 5-7 clicks on the trigger.

I have used both a stock grip and r/t with the gun and have not had this issue before.  This problem occurred immediately after I purchased the e-grip and after reading some posts decided to call Tippmann.  They sent me a new board and now I am having the same problems again after 1 day's use.  Does anyone have a fix for this or should I just continue to call Tippmann and ask them to replace the board again?

To answer the typical responses:
The trigger has new batteries (several different attempts)
The tank is full (tried both HPA and CO2)
There is plenty of pressure to recock the gun with each shot
The trigger has the correct sear
The rear bolt is not worn down
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not old, Not noob. May be Dave's grandma

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2009 at 9:30am
So, it sounds like the board is working because it is firing and pushing the linkage arm up, but it isn't tripping the sear. Does this sound correct? I had a simliar problem and it was batteries, but you said you already checked that. Also, the E-grip has a lighter sear spring than does the stock grip, is there any chance that it got swapped?
malaki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malaki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2009 at 10:27am
The springs have not been swapped.  I have been very careful to keep the e-grip parts seperate from the stock parts.

If I take the trigger off of the gun I can see the sear moving when I pull the trigger.  I put the trigger back on the gun and tried it without air, the result would be:  cock the gun click, click, click, bolt release, recock the gun, click, click, bolt release, etc.

I guess the sear is not moving enough to release the rear bolt.  I have checked everything inside the trigger several times.  The battery wires are not in the way of the arm and everything is in the correct place (including the magnet).  I did not overtighten the screws, so there should not be any excess friction for the parts to move around.
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2009 at 10:31am
What is the chance that you are overtightening the bolts on the marker itself? Could the bolt be binding somehow? Have you tried putting the stock grip back on and firing it?
malaki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malaki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2009 at 10:54am
I own two a-5's and could probably rebuild these guns with my eyes closed.  That being said, I am pretty sure the bolts are not too tight and all of the moving parts are lightly oiled to help with friction.  I will try it with another trigger assembly tonight just to be sure.

I am also going to try one additional thing.  In looking at another forum I frequent (a5og), I found pictures of the two trigger assemblies.  I noticed the e-grip trigger assembly should have an extra pin under the sear.  I am pretty sure mine does not have it (never came with it).  This pin would potentially hold the armature pin from sliding back and up when it pushes the sear.  Hopefully this is the issue, because I would love to feel like I made a good investment on the trigger.
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2009 at 11:12am
Looking at both diagrams of the E-grip and stock grip, there should be a total of 6 pins.  5 silver pins and one black sear pin.

malaki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malaki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2009 at 11:24am
Yes, my gun is missing the silver pin directly under the black sear pin.  I think this is causing the issue, but I won't know until I get the chance to get home and insert a spare pin into the trigger plate.  I am also going to send Tippmann an e-mail regarding this because my trigger assembly (purchased new) did not have that pin in there to begin with.
malaki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malaki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2009 at 8:49pm
Okay, so I got home and inserted the 6th pin and it shoots about the same still but I think the damage had already been done.  The armature pin is not completely straight and this might be causingit to not be able to push the sear all of the way (similar to the mushroom effect so many people talk about)
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2009 at 11:48pm
Contact Tippmann customer service. If the trigger truly came without the pin, and it was damaged due to this,they will make it right. 
thejudge View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thejudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2009 at 5:48pm
it may be the pin that is pushed up into the sear as well.  i had a friend who had one that mushroomed on the ed of it and it wasnt long enough to push the sear.   you may want to check that.
Stay low, run fast, and hope that paintball doesn't hit your...
malaki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malaki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2009 at 11:34am
I called Tippmann and they told me they are purposely taking out the trigger plate pin that I am missing.  They said there is too much friction between that pin and the armature pin.  The only problem is my rod is now bent and my gun doesn't work. (that's what she said)

They told me to send it in, hopefully they will be able to fix it, because I would like to feel like the money was well spent.
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2009 at 12:06pm
Most likely, they will just replace the trigger when they get it. Tippmann has great customer service.
r_stone_d View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote r_stone_d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2011 at 9:31am
I just registered to do a little contribution here since this post helped me A LOT, i was having the exact same problem and i was under the same circumstance, newly purchased egrip, marker in good working condition (even with another egrip and stock frame), a couple batteries, etc... so i read this and i saw this guy saying his problem was the battery... i charged my battery for 2 days straight and still didnt work ( needless to say i dismantled the egrip a billion times to check everything was in the right place), tried with my other batteries , one of them was fairly new, and still didnt work.. so ... keeping in mind what ive read i went to the shop and got another battery... and thank god worked like a charm, so double check your battery, seems like the new egrip, the one with the selector really needs a new , fresh battery, and be careful with the rechargables because mine does not work with this egrip, i mean, it does work but i get the above problem, i was using this battery with the old egrip and i didnt have this problem, but anyways, im just glad the egrip works, even if it needs a new battery to operate right... Thats all i hope it helps someone like it  did help me.. plus if youre in my situation (i'm from Argentina) sending it in might not be the best option since it took like 3 weeks just to get here... i could not wait so long to send it back.. Anyways...  later!!! and thanks for posting this
Rotaryguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rotaryguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2013 at 6:59pm
Hey guys i have had this same problem with my A5. It is the older model A5 with the push safety and not the selector switch. To be honest, when i got the gun from a friend years ago...like 2006ish, i didnt even know the gun had the e-grip installed in it until i had to change the battery! And that was years later. (I know, good battery right) The reason for not knowing is that it was set to semi auto and the old board required a small screw driver to select different fire modes. The trigger has worked great for years and then one day during a game, just quit. Contacted tippmann on here and after replacing the sear, firing spring and firing spring rod i found that the problem was the board. So bought a board from virtue and after a few games the same thing happened. Sent the board back and then sent me a new one(awesome customer service by the way). The only problem with the virtue board is that it has an auto shut off after so long of no use...think 10 minutes. My wife now uses the gun and doesnt like that it shuts off like that because it always seems to shut off at the worst times. Alright sorry about the back ground story...Question really is..

Does anyone know if there is a way to make this trigger mechanical instead of electrical? I try searching online for a stock mechanical trigger and nobody seems to have them. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic