Tippmann Paintball Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Paintball Equipment > Which Gun is Best
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Tippmann TPX - Review (Field Review Added)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nochaz01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2009 at 5:47pm
OK guys and girls. The temp was 87 on Saturday and the relative humidity was about 68%. Keep that in mind here. The field gave me DXS Rec grade. That is what literally jammed in the gun on shot 3. This is the same paint that dimpled in the clip and caused me to unload both clips. I then changed to DXS field grade paint because it had a harder shell and seemed a little smaller. I broke this paint as well but keep in mind that I did not fully clean the marker after the paint break before. This paint was shooting through well enough but was also chopping like crazy. I will be testing it with the DXS field grade when I get a chance.
Rambino View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I am even less fun in person

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rambino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2009 at 3:34pm
Picked up another TPX yesterday, and shot them both together today.  Doubly awesome.  Only problem is that Keanu Reeves has approximately 600 rounds in each magazine, and I only have 8.  Thankfully, I have a bunch of extra mags.

I also discovered that I was getting three clips per CO2 rather than two.  The last couple of shots were a bit weak, but worth the effort.  I am still unable to get the CO2 out unless it is fully shot down, so I might as well be shooting at somebody while shooting down.

One potential technical concern.  On a few occasions the guns refused to properly pierce the CO2.  Don't know if it was user error, a problem with the 12g, or a problem with the gun.  Will collect more data and report back.

Shot the TPX in one hand and a Tiberius in the other for comparison.  This was very interesting.  The Tiberius is a nice gun, and I must admit that it shot better than the TPX.  I think the reason was that the Tiberius is grip-heavy, where the TPX is front-heavy.  As a result, it is easier to hold the Tiberius steady, and there is less "recoil" when shooting.  But other than that one advantage, I think I prefer the TPX overall.

But so far I only have lab tests.  The real test will be this weekend.  Outdoor, woodsball, in the heat.  I plan on just playing with the two TPXs, and then we will see how they really stack up.

[IMG]http://i38.tinypic.com/aag8s8.jpg">
allanjwe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allanjwe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2009 at 3:43pm
One suggestion to pierce the CO2 easier is glue a small washer on the cap that covers the tube where the CO2 goes into. If you are using a shorter CO2, this will take up some slack.
Rambino View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rambino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2009 at 3:53pm
^^ Not a bad idea.  If this becomes a problem I will try that.

I guess I didn't realize there was this much variation in 12g size.  It may be that the TPX could use a slightly longer piercing action to account for this variation.
JKane View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JKane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2009 at 5:01pm
tippmann is sending me a new piercing pin and a new power tube, apparently they have a generation 2 out already to fix some of the earlier production pistols, which makes me wonder how much testing was done before they were released, you would think that the release date being pushed back for 6 months would give them a chance to perfect them!!!!!! . Having said that I have tried the gun out since I took it apart to clean it and it didn't break the paint so far (only 16 shots fired)
Kane
venomous121 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote venomous121 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2009 at 6:41pm
wow, finally some people with the same problems.  im on my second tpx.  both broke paint, would not chrono above 190ish, wont always puncher the co2, and breaking the oring on the bolt.   iv used wpn and spectrum paint.  my tpx is currently at tippmann hopefully being repaired.  they where a pleasure to deal with, but im sceptical if it will come back fixed or still broken. 
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
b-YOU-ick. Was that so hard?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2009 at 10:55pm
I'm hearing WAY too many complaints about the TPX to make me get one. I'm still giving Tippmann a chance, as I like the TPX's theory, but I really hope they get it sorted out...
Evil Elvis: "Detrevni is definally like a hillbilly hippy from hell"

Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has to say "yes" to "are you a cop?"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2009 at 11:21am
Originally posted by DeTrevni DeTrevni wrote:

I'm hearing WAY too many complaints about the TPX to make me get one. I'm still giving Tippmann a chance, as I like the TPX's theory, but I really hope they get it sorted out...

Such as?

The only problems I've had with mine so far have been entirely my fault, although I don't have many nice things to say about the holster aside from "it looks nice"

Soft paint is a serious no-no, since the mag spring is pretty strong, your balls will warp (haha) in no time whatsoever.

I've used it a few times in a game at this point, small games, I even went out with it as a primary, no other marker, and still did pretty well with it.
Extra mags are a MUST with it, especially if you're going to do any serious shooting. I recommend at least half a dozen. But no problems with the marker itself, it's been solid and dependable for me thus far.
?

Rambino View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rambino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2009 at 3:03pm
Ok -

So I got a chance to do the full field-test yesterday.  I have been shooting the guns at the range for a while, and performance has generally been excellent.

The game:  Firm outing.  14 players.  Woods.  Smallish fields, some with a little speedball flavor, others complete wilderness.

My gear:  Two Tippmann TPXs, two holsters, 8 mags, a bucket of 12g CO2 canisters.  I used some old podholders to carry the extra mags.  Brought an A-5 RT along as my backup gun, but didn't bring it into the games (except as noted below).

First note:  Playing with a pistol is pretty cool.  Playing with TWO pistols is just awesome.  Nothing beats pulling out the double fi**edited**l and clicking off the safeties.  For that reason alone I would never play with just one.

Technical issues: 

1.  The CO2 thing continued to manifest.  About every fifth canister wouldn't pierce properly, and I had to swap out.  This is annoying, and something that needs to be fixed.  For me it wasn't a huge deal since I always pierced the CO2 right away, but if you were carrying it around unpierced for backup purposes, this issue introduces an unacceptable level of unreliability. 

2.  As others have noted, it is basically impossible to get the CO2 change cap off unless the CO2 is fully depleted.  This further interferes with ease and quickness.  A dump valve or similar would be a huge improvement, or maybe just a lever or something to give you a better grip on the tiny little knob (since the 2-turn knob really is its own dump valve).

3.  A nice feature would be a gas-cap string on the CO2 change cap.  It is small, it is black, and I don't know where I put it while I was digging for another CO2.  Attaching it to the gun would be an improvement.

In general, the CO2 cap is the main technical issue.

4.  I broke paint - a lot of paint.  Broke like a bastard.  I was breaking, the X-7 was breaking, the A-5 was breaking, but the rental 98s were not breaking.  Very frustrating - especially after my awesome charge-the-bunker-guns-ablazing move, where I emptied both clips at this girl before she got around to shooting back.  All I did was spray her.  The goodish news is that the breaks were all barrel breaks, and the field owner gave me a bag of different (fresher) paint to play with, and after that there were no breaks.  The rest of the day, there was not a single break.  Basically, I figure the TPX is as tough on paint as an X-7/A-5, and so you have to watch out for old/brittle/bloated paint.  More data is needed on this point, though.

5.  Which leads to the next technical issue:  unlocking the magazines.  I had a couple of mags with the tab pulled down for loading, and then I decided not to load them while figuring out what to do with the pistols.  So now the tab is locked down and there is steady pressure on the spring.  I didn't want to leave the springs under pressure, so I tried to unlock the mag, but couldn't figure out how.  Pushing the release thingy on the top is hard without small tools, and you certainly can't do it with your hands.  Not a big deal, but an annoyance that might be easily fixable - maybe the lanyard attachment is narrowed enough to where it can be used?  Many solutions, I am sure.

6.  And the related issue:  unloading the magazines.   Once I determined that the fresh paint was working, I needed to unload several magazine to switch paint.  Not easy.  With some practice, I was able to hold the top latch open, but it quite tricky.  Again, not a big problem, and I suspect somebody will come up with an easy way to unload soon enough.

Anyway - on to the game:

In a word:  AWESOME!

More detail:  I concur with Reb that carrying the TPX around in the official holster would get very old very fast.  The guns do not sit tight to the leg, and flop around a bit when you walk.  If you are using the gun for backup only, then you should look for a different carrying device.  But for me, using the pistols only, the holsters were perfect.  Easy to drop one gun in when reloading the other, the pouches were right where they needed to be, and the not-tightness just makes for a cooler swagger.  The empty holsters occasionally snagged on stuff, but no more than a pod belt would, and in general I was a much lighter player with a smaller profile.

I was very impressed with the accuracy.  I wasn't exactly trying to pick people off at a distance, but even with the short stock barrel, the shots were very straight and true.  More importantly for a pistol, the gun is very intuitive to aim.  See a target, point and shoot, and the shot goes pretty much where you think it should.  Other paintball pistols I have tried, I basically had to teach myself where the shot was going - not with the TPX.

Reloading (changing mags) in the field was more cumbersome than I would have liked, but that had to do with my mag arrangement, not the guns.  I fumbled around for mags a lot.  Once I had the mag in hand, though, it was a quick out and in - followed by more fumbling to put the empty mag away.  Clearly more planning is needed, but the guns did their part well.

As noted above, changing CO2 was a bit more of a hassle, since I had to shoot out the 12g completely.  I didn't do a lot of changing in-field, but it would definitely be easier if the three issues with the cap (described above) were addressed. 

But boy - sneaking around with a pistol in each hand was tremendously fun.  I was low to the ground, didn't have to worry about raising the hopper in the air to shoot.  Awesome.

Of course, I desperately avoided all direct contact since I didn't want to be in a protracted firefight, but that just made me sneakier. 

And even when I did have some exchanges, I did all right - so long as I got it done in 16 shots.

Net result was that when I got killed I usually had fired no shots.  Whenever I fired the pistols, somebody got eliminated.

There were certainly times when I wished for more firepower, but most of the time the pistols were not a particular disadvantage, at least against this group.

Bottom line - once I got the paint figured out, I had no particular desire to bring a "real" gun into the field, and I had an awesome day playing paintball.

I can't speak for the sidearm crowd, but for me this is a very viable way to play, and the TPX worked very, very well for me.

Edited by Rambino - 29 June 2009 at 3:54pm
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2009 at 6:43pm
Originally posted by Reb Cpl Reb Cpl wrote:

Such as?

The only problems I've had with mine so far have been entirely my fault, although I don't have many nice things to say about the holster aside from "it looks nice"

Soft paint is a serious no-no, since the mag spring is pretty strong, your balls will warp (haha) in no time whatsoever.

I've used it a few times in a game at this point, small games, I even went out with it as a primary, no other marker, and still did pretty well with it.
Extra mags are a MUST with it, especially if you're going to do any serious shooting. I recommend at least half a dozen. But no problems with the marker itself, it's been solid and dependable for me thus far.

What I've heard (from many people): Hit or miss 12g piercing, chopping, if it does chop, it's out of commission, mags are a beast to clean, realoding the mags is troublesome and the only available barrels are "meh" at best.

Can these issues be worked out? Sure. And I'll wait until then before I get one.

NickVanDick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickVanDick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2009 at 8:14pm
He has a point. Im sure they will be coming out with a next generation gun. That hopefully fixes most of the problems some people are having.
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2009 at 9:40pm

Originally posted by Reb Cpl Reb Cpl wrote:

Such as?

What I've heard (from many people): Hit or miss 12g piercing, chopping, if it does chop, it's out of commission, mags are a beast to clean, realoding the mags is troublesome and the only available barrels are "meh" at best.

Can these issues be worked out? Sure. And I'll wait until then before I get one.

All viable concerns- although I've yet to run into the 12g piercing problem. I guess I'm just lucky in that respect.
Chopping, I think can be resolved with good paint. The TPX is extremely picky about what it's going to shoot.

Yeah, the mags are monstrous to clean, I dont have a solution for that one, and reloading a magazine in the field is a hoot (read as sarcastically as possible)

As for barrels, I've actually got a J&J ceramic barrel on mine, and its far from 'meh.' you just have to look around a bit.

Rambs, a second one? I'm not only intrigued by the notion, I'm also extremely jealous.
?

Rambino View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rambino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2009 at 11:04pm
The second one was hard to come by.  I scoured the interwebs, and it just showed up on Thursday - barely in time for the game.

And totally worth it.    :D

DeTrevni View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2009 at 1:44am

Reb, how'd you get a J&J to fit beneath the shroud? I heard there's little to no room. Does J&J make a TPX barrel now?

Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2009 at 7:17am

Reb, how'd you get a J&J to fit beneath the shroud? I heard there's little to no room. Does J&J make a TPX barrel now?

No, they don't, but the J&J that I've had on my A-5 for years went right in. There aren't any fancy flares on the barrel or anything like that. I've had this one for a while now, so maybe J&J has a different design now that doesn't fit, I really don't know. I know it was the first one I tried and it works rather nicely.

I've also got another after market barrel that I haven't a clue what it is, a silver piece that also fits nicely.

?

p shooter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p shooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2009 at 12:22am

Im trying to "soften" my springs on my mags by keepng my mags on the locked open position.... my thinking is that if the springs where to be more "worn" they wouldnt push up the paintballs so hard and thus be less likely to "deform" paint on hot humid days. If I have any luck with this I will post later;

And they are releasing a new CO2 pierce kit and a new front bolt sprin, the old front bolt spring has a sharp edge and it may cut your oring....

they are figuring out what works and what doesnt and addressing these issues fairly quickly, the TPX will be a solid marker for tippmann and us players in the very near future.
JKane View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JKane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2009 at 9:51pm
I have had the mags locked for 2 weeks now and it still seems strong,I still have not received my internal replacement parts (power tube and puncture assembly) I am hoping they show up this week. I have shot a few more mags threw the pistol and have not broke paint yet, this only seems to happen when I am in a game. Keep posting info about your pistols and maybe we can get these working better, if you have one of the ones that are not working well.
Kane
Landero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Landero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2009 at 1:23pm
Hi there guys!
First of all let me make a couple statements prior to my posts:
- I'm new to this forum.
- I'm nothing even CLOSE to an engineer.
- I reside in Mexico, city of Guadalajara.
    Wheather is hot  year round and extremely humid jun/jul/aug/sep

With this in mind I'll tell you I just got my TPX 2 weeks ago, never had a problem with CO2 puncture, gun is extremely accurate and I've tried it with the original barrel, my X7 stock barrel, a CustomParts TM 16" barrel and a TRINITY TM rifled 14" barrel,   they all fit the TPX and they all shoot awesome, so I'll now go with the X7 stock barrel and the TPX barrel.
This gun CHRONED a range from as low as 182fps to as high as 346fps     if you try to increase velocity from that point on the release valve will start expelling your CO2 so I wouldn't recommend it...      but you can sure as hell try     and I  did it and got only one quick mag shot at aprox 360fps and then CO2 is out...    bummer...              LOL!!!

My biggest issue was paint breaks, every 3 to 5 shots one of them broke, I even tried shooting it without  the mag, just holding the gun upside down and feeding paintballs to the handle "hopper style"    AMAZINGLY ENOUGH      IT WORKS!!    but balls kept breaking....       DARRRRN!!!!
So I took it  all APART and performed an RCA    Root Cause Analizis ,     these are my findings:

there are 2 factors that contribute to BALL BREAKS on this gun,    ball detent's width      it pushes the ball against chamber increasing friction,   and the mechanical part that expells the ball,    sometimes it actually HITs the ball, and with soft paint that can cause a break.
I have solved  both problems and using always the same paint   DXS field
I now NEVER have had a SINGLE ball break shooting it everyday.

Feel free to contact me     
Saludos a todos!!

Humberto Landero
CPTN- Spyder Squad

In facebook look for SPYDER SQUAD paintball team
JKane View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JKane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2009 at 9:52pm
Well another crap day with my TPX pistol at the Black Reign in Wasaga Beach.  I was out of paint in my A5 and had one person to get so my group could move up a ways, so I put down my A5 and took out my TPX I took one shot and the guy ducked back in and I kept advancing, when I got close to taking him out my gun jammed and I was shot. I took it to the tippmann booth where they were fixing markers and they said it was because it was too humid. 

So lets recap the excesses I have been told
1- the paint is too soft.
2- you can't use it if its too humid.
3- the 12 grams are all different so they won't pierce right ( this is fixed by changing the cap to the new adjustable end cap).
4- you can't pre load your clips.
5- you need to use hard shell paint

I'm sick of carrying a pistol that you can't depend on, its a $300 piece of crap.  

Edited by JKane - 16 August 2009 at 9:54pm
Kane
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2009 at 9:10pm
Originally posted by JKane JKane wrote:

So lets recap the excesses I have been told
1- the paint is too soft.
2- you can't use it if its too humid.
3- the 12 grams are all different so they won't pierce right ( this is fixed by changing the cap to the new adjustable end cap).
4- you can't pre load your clips.
5- you need to use hard shell paint

I'm sick of carrying a pistol that you can't depend on, its a $300 piece of crap.  

It sounds to me like you're going out of the way to find problems. First, your #1 and #5 are the same thing. If you use hard shelled paint, you won't have a problem with #1. Is it THAT hard to find good paint? If you're shooting a high end marker, you won't be using walmart paint- treat the TPX the same way and you'll do fine.

As for your #4: Bull. You CAN preload the magazines, but don't leave a magazine IN the marker all day because the compression on the spring will squeeze your paint after a while. Magazines loaded and left in pouches have NO tension on them, and can be left loaded as such (with good paint) all week from what I see. If you load a magazine and leave it in the marker forever, yeah, you might have a problem, but not being able to pre-load a magazine??? False.

Your #2: I've had problems with humidity while using a lot of markers.....basically because the PAINT is vulnerable to moisture. Compromise the paint, and with the TPX being as picky as it is.....you've got a problem. Again, don't use crap paint.

And #3, that problem has been solved time and time again if you read around a bit. A washer or a dime pit inside the CO2 chamber atop the cartridge will give you what you need.

A piece of crap this thing aint.

?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic