Tippmann Paintball Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Tippmann Paintball > Paintball Ideas / News From Tippmann
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

A TPX Owner's Suggestions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigFNTarget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A TPX Owner's Suggestions
    Posted: 18 June 2009 at 5:03pm
Greetings and salutations everyone, I'm new here to the Tippmann Forums, but in no-way new to the sport of Paintball. I've been playing for about five years now, my first "real" paintball marker being a Tippmann X7 with the AK47 Mods (and various other after-market add-ons since then). I became a HUGE fan of Tippmann after purchasing the X7 and really getting a feel for the gun. The simplicity of its design, the craftsmenship of the parts, and the overall performance just astounded me. And the new TPX Pistol definately lives up to the Tippmann name.

I could go on and on about the pure epic awesomeness that is the TPX Pistol, but I'll leave that for another post. I wanted to actually delve into some of the issues I've had with the pistol since I picked it up last weekend.

So after taking it out of the case and getting a feel for the weight and the basic mechanics of my new marker, I noticed that one of the magazines wasn't locking into place when I pushed the follower down. No big deal though, I was planning on taking the marker apart before I shot some paint through it anyways, might as well take a magazine apart too, right? (and yes, I'm a bit paranoid, but I always check to make sure everything is in order before I pressurize a brand new marker... especially when the ID number is in the 2000's)

Which leads me to the first issue I had. After taking the magazine apart and figureing out how and where everything fit, I struggled a bit trying to keep the Release Armature,Carrier Release and Ball Latch in place when I put the spring for the Ball Latch in. Once I figured out how I could hold it down with one finger on the Armature, I then had to try and keep the Follewer Spring in the Follower with another finger while I put the other half of the magazine on... which 9 times out of 10 the tension in the latch spring would cause the armature to jump and everything to go flying before I could put the two halves together. And the few times out of the hundred I attempted this I actually got the two halves together, I had to try and shift the two pieces into position so I could snap the clip closed, but the shifting of the case would cause one or more parts to come out of alignment and it wouldn't close. *sigh* Took me nearly 2 hours to finally get it closed and I NEVER intend to open another one.

I realize that the magazines were intended to be made cost effectively, but something definately needs to be modified so re-assembly is easier. My suggestions for this are;
    1. Perhaps the Armature should slide in through a bit of plastic that holds it into place horizontally. This would hold it into place when tension is put on the Latch spring, and prevent the armature from being pushed out.
    2. There should be a small hook of plastic that hold the bottom of the Follower Spring into place, so that the tension doesn't cause it to jump out of the bottom of the case.
    3. A detailed set of instructions on how to dis-assemble and re-assemble the magazine. I noticed this is the only thing left out of the original instruction manual and is definately a must for newbies and pro's alike.

After I finally got the magazine together, I took the marker itself apart, which to my sheer glee, was 1000x easier than the magazine. Altogether it took me about 5 minutes to dis-assemble and re-assemble the marker, which was in perfect working order and up to the high quality standards that I expect from Tippmann.

Next I threw in a 12 gram canister of CO2, and proceeded to do some dry firing, then moved onto shooting targets with some paint. I shot about 500 rounds of paint through it, and only had 2 balls break on me (cheap paint though, so I expected as much). One thing I noticed while shooting paint, was that as the CO2 pressure dropped, the time it takes to re-pressurize increases. Again, I know this is just how it's designed, but the problem is that I had a hard time unscrewing the CO2 cap, even when it was nearly depleted. I had to fire a bunch of blank shots until the canister was pretty much dead before I could unscrew the cap and exchance canisters. And with the delay in re-pressurizing the gun, I had to wait 3-5 seconds between each pull of the trigger.

I'm not sure if this is possible, but it would help greatly if there were an easier way to release the rest of the gas in the marker and canister. Since the 12 gram canisters only offer peak performance for about 2 to 3 clips, but they have enough in them to pressurize the gun for 3-4 clips, it would be helpful if there was a quick release for the excess CO2. This would make exchanging CO2 twice as fast, keep the performance at its peak for every clip, and help save paint. Again, not sure if it's possible, but perhaps the trigger could be re-designed for this purpose. Holding the trigger keeps the valve open, allowing you to extinguish the remaining CO2. *shrugs*

And yes, I know the Remote Air Adapter would solve this problem, but not everyone has one or is going to use one. Since it's considered an "optional" feature and sold seperately, I figured the people who will be using 12 grams would benefit from this feature.

Anyways, my post if quite long, I know, but I think I've made the points I needed to make. Overall I am a 100% satisfied customer, and will continue to be a true Tippmann fan. I'm recommending the TPX Pistol to all of my friends and teammates, and other than the two minor issues I've had, this new product is sure to rock the paintball community.

Rocking my AK-X7 and my TPX Pistol at all the BC Fields,

Your Fan and Loyal Customer,

~Big FN Target

P.S. If you have any questions, comments, suggestions for me, feel free to post a reply to this thread, or message me personally. And if you live in the Lower Mainland of BC, Canada, feel free to get in touch with me to play some games or whatever.

TinMan View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TinMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2009 at 10:50pm
Originally posted by BigFNTarget BigFNTarget wrote:

Your Fan and Loyal Customer,

~Big FN Target

Welcome BigFN.

I would think an aftermarket  company might produce a lever type cap for the TPX.
I would imagine this would be a simple cap with lever that allows the 12 g to bleed off
before removing the ramp lugged cap.

You should know that this is a public forum and not Tippmann design, or tech support.
Everyone here as far as I know are players.
Landero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Landero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2009 at 10:43am
That's one nice post bro,     did the same w* mine
took it all apart before CO2 even got in the chamber

My issue was the ball detent, I modified it a bit and everything's nice and smooth with firing now!
HE HE HE

My TPX ID number's     0001773    what's your's dude?
In facebook look for SPYDER SQUAD paintball team
krizzman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krizzman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2009 at 6:59am
I have the TPX 0000313. When i got it i did the same,.. taking a look at the shiny internals.
I gave it some dry shots and then i loaded it with a filled magazine. The first ball came out just fine, the second one chopped.
It seems that the TPX will chop all the cheap and old paint,.. only the more expensive and fresh hard-shelled paint is acceptable for this gun. It has the same craving for CO2. It won't open the Brass Eagle canisters, other brands are just fine. This gun has a strange taste for paint and CO2 but it is a better gun than the Warsensor G2 and even a bit better than the T8 and T9. I have fired all of them but the TPX just gives a better bang when you pull the trigger.

The magazine system is great, then again it is the reason why the TPX chops the cheap paint. The windows in the gun are not necessary. If you have any experience at paintball pistols you will have discovered that counting shots might be a good thing to do. If you are a noob you will be in a state of panic and you won't even notice the windows. Tip for every TPX owner, glue your top window to the TPX body. It will fall out every time you disassemble your gun and it is very easy to lose!

The TPX isn't perfect, it is just a great gun. It looks great, feels good and shoots like there's no tomorrow. It just hase a bit of character. So do the classic supercars. This gun will become a classic  
Evil Elvis View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Crusher of Dreams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evil Elvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2009 at 2:59pm
Tippmann staff does read the boards. Thank you for your honest input.
ivanskis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ivanskis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2009 at 12:15am
I used my TPX this weekend and also wish there was a way to bleed the co2. 

Kinda weird but when I use my TPX I take two shots at a time to help me with the count and carry 3 mags.

A5 w/flatline barrel - RT
A5 w/Dye barrel & Tactical Shroud
98c w/flatline barrel
Alpha Black
Tippmann TPX
Project Salvo
X7 Phenom
Cronus
Gravdigr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gravdigr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2009 at 9:49pm
Yes I have problems with the co2, thought it was the gun.  I put a stick on spacer on the co2 cap as it seems the brass eagle co2 canisters are just a bit too short.  I will try another brand.  I also found with mine I can get 2 clips out reliably with 1 co2 cartridge.  If I try to fire a third clip I get 3 or 4 balls out then 1 usually gets stuck in the chamber and the next chops.  But after reading maybe I just needed to wait a couple seconds between each ball on the third clip.

I'm considering a small co2 tank and remote line for it but I think it may get in the way, I fire a pistol arms fully extended and my remote line for my 98c pro is barely long enough without pulling.  I have a bigger torso than most people so it's a long distance from my back to my front.

My holster should be arriving soon.
Heliostrap View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heliostrap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2009 at 11:30pm
In my opinion it seems like the TPX is in dire need of a few upgrades. (That I'd like...)

First off; i know they've already talked about releasing an extended magazine by Christmas, but i want one now... maybe even make it possible to hook up a Q-loader?

Second, if they could somehow incorporate a fully automatic upgrade into the trigger components, that would be fan-freaking-tastic!!! I can already see myself unloading an entire EXTENDED clip into somone with one pull of the trigger... SWEET!

K, third, I think it is in need of a top mounted weaver rail so the people who want the look of a scoped pistol can have it. I can see it now, a scope on the top and a laser on the bottom!

And finally, fourth, It could use a stock that adapts to the screws in the back of the gun. Kinda like a stock that clamps to the back of the gun and is held on by extended screws that not only hold the stock on but hold the gun casing closed.

So all in all I think this is all do-able doesn't even seem to hard to customize those parts myself, but i dont want to take the time... help us out tippmann, help out the crazed duel wielding TPX  fanatic!!!
TinMan View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TinMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2009 at 10:43am
Sounds like a 98 Platinum, or an X7 is what you want.  LOL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heliostrap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2009 at 10:38pm
Well I've got the X7, but it is a full blown sniper from the hammerhead 16 inch barrel to the remote line and compressed air tank. The reason i spout things like a scope on a gun and all those other wanna-be pistol upgrades, is cause I keep my TPX on my thigh whenever I'm playing and sometimes it really does come in handy. I often leave my gun propped up on it's bipod then use my pistol to sneak around and flank an unsuspecting enemy who was shooting at my X7. It works almost every time. only truely had it backfire once... that was bad...
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2009 at 6:23pm
Helio,

Quite a few people on here don't believe in the concept of snipers in paintball, so you want to be careful throwing that term around.  (Or at least prepared to defend your position on the subject.)  Anyway, I think you really need to tell the story about sneaking around with the TPX backfiring because it sounds amusing.

I was running with just a pistol one day (a first generation PT Extreme) and had the bad luck to get spotted by a little kid right after I emptied the pistol taking out three of his teammates.  I learned several important lessons in quick succession:

• Little kids generally run faster than me
  • It is impossible to reload a PT Extreme from a 10-round tube while fleeing in a circle around a big bush to avoid being shot by the aforementioned little kid
  • Being shot in the derriere at close range is zero fun

Edited by Mack - 15 September 2009 at 6:23pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heliostrap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2009 at 10:10pm
When I say sniper I mean sniper. I'll take a hill and make sure anyone who tries to move on my guys is dead meat. I hate rush and crush tactics, that's why I snipe.

Anyway, the story of my pistol mishap is not a fun one. So i have an X7 sniper but it also has an e-trigger for when you wanna spray a bunker. anyway I was sniping a couple of kids I met at a field and decided to leave my gun set up on it's bipod above my bunker so they would think I was still there sniping. (usually works really good for the first couple times.) anyway so I ditch the gun and pull out my tpx pistol and duck into a ditch to try and flank the two guys. Well, one of them decided to try and move up on me, realized I wasn't there, and decided dual wielding my sniper and his A5 would be a lot of fun. So I was screwed. Lets just say I got owned... on fully auto.

Stupid I know... So yeah, I think twice everytime I ditch a gun to flank now.
Gravdigr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gravdigr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2009 at 7:37pm
Use a remote line on the sniper gun, then if you ditch it they can't use it against you ;-)

While we are telling fun tpx stories I have one.  The arena I play at is indoors in an old warehouse basement.  It's all room to room urban combat but the 'rooms' are rooms in the most basic sense, most of them only have 2 maybe 3 walls with doorways and huge openings.

Anyway my team was eliminated all but me.  I was pinned down in a room where the doorway was an old screen dor with cardboard attached and holes cut out of it.  The other side of the door had stacks of tires for people to hide behind.  I knew all three of my enemies were on the other side of the door.  It was my first day with the tpx so I figured screw it, double fisted my tpx and 98c pro, kicked open the door and started spraying.  Everyone ducked for cover and I took one of them out.  My first kill with the tpx.  I ducked back in the room then took a side exit to try and flank them.  Unfortunatly for me they had the same idea and I got lit up.  But for my first tpx kill it was an exciting one.  Afterwards they said they about pooped their pants when the door flew open and I stepped through slinging paint in 2 directions.  If nothing else it was a good intimidation tactic.
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2009 at 8:38pm
Originally posted by Heliostrap Heliostrap wrote:

When I say sniper I mean sniper. I'll take a hill and make sure anyone who tries to move on my guys is dead meat. I hate rush and crush tactics, that's why I snipe.

Actually, it sounds like ambushing.

Anyway, the story of my pistol mishap is not a fun one. So i have an X7 sniper but it also has an e-trigger for when you wanna spray a bunker. anyway I was sniping a couple of kids I met at a field and decided to leave my gun set up on it's bipod above my bunker so they would think I was still there sniping. (usually works really good for the first couple times.) anyway so I ditch the gun and pull out my tpx pistol and duck into a ditch to try and flank the two guys. Well, one of them decided to try and move up on me, realized I wasn't there, and decided dual wielding my sniper and his A5 would be a lot of fun. So I was screwed. Lets just say I got owned... on fully auto.

Wait, he shot at you with your own marker?  That bites.

Stupid I know... So yeah, I think twice everytime I ditch a gun to flank now.

Not stupid, just a lesson learned.
choopie911 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2009 at 8:45pm
Haha that's actually a pretty good story, I'm sure you'll tell that one a couple times post-game, etc.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heliostrap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2009 at 10:40pm
Anyone tried the new 16'' Hammerhead barre? Looking to buy but there are very few reviews... I know this is TPX forum, but I like the input i get from this forum... lemme know...

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic