Tippmann Paintball Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Tippmann Paintball > Paintball Ideas / News From Tippmann
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

TPX First Strike Conversion Kit

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Soup Can Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2009 at 10:08pm
he had first strikes in a longbow mag?
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2009 at 11:12pm
He was running regular rounds in the longbow mag and First Strikes in the regular mag and alternating usage as needed by rotating the T9 barrel to select ammo.
The Guy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Soup Can Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2009 at 5:56pm
thats cool. I thought about that idea later, but I would think the chrono speed would be off.
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2009 at 8:31pm
I've been kicking the same idea around except I would run a Q-Loader for the normal rounds.  I made a tacky little bracket a while back that attaches it to picatinny/weaver rails. (This is of course assuming that I can find the bracket.)
evil_fingers View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Inappropriate sig

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evil_fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2009 at 10:01pm
People are forgetting one thing about the FSRs, theyre not Cheap to Buy.
Do not steal....the government hates competition!
The Guy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Soup Can Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2009 at 2:14am
that point isn't lost. I guess you didn't bother to read any responses.
evil_fingers View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Inappropriate sig

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evil_fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2009 at 5:14am
Originally posted by The Guy The Guy wrote:

that point isn't lost. I guess you didn't bother to read any responses.

Just puttin in my 2 cents.
Do not steal....the government hates competition!
The Guy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Soup Can Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2009 at 2:58pm
Yeah, its the biggest complaint that the company gets. But then what company DOESN'T get cost complaints.
SSGCarmichael View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSGCarmichael Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2010 at 9:08am
I agree a conversion kit would be outstanding. I saw the rounds in action on good old "youtube" I was impressed. With the T4 at 290+ they hitting targets at 300 ft outdoors.
Headshots r funny, watch me laugh
sonu panwar View Drop Down

Guested - Spam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sonu panwar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2010 at 1:27am
I owned a Tac8, and sold it when I first got to handle the TPX. As far as lightweight, and ergonomics go, the TPX wins, except for one thing- the mags suck. They're inexpensive, yes, but in any kind of humidity or moisture they crush the hell out of anything short of winter paint in just a few minutes and jam. The T8 is susceptible to this as well but at least with the straight mags the balls might deform but not jam. You might get a couple of breaks but at least you can easily dump the mag out, swab it, reload it and be good to go. The TPX mags you'd have to pick the balls out with a pair of pliers because they'd glue themselves to each other and to the walls of the mag.

Case in point- I was at West Point for the Fall game. It was kind of dew-y in the morning, I loaded 10 mags, all with the springs locked down the way they should be. I made it from camp, to the insertion, chrono'd in, everything was fine. About a half hour later by the time I actually reached OpFor and needed it, every single mag was jammed solid, even with "no" (I quote that because even with the springs locked down the mag followers still exert a bit of pressure on the balls, even though they shouldn't) spring pressure on them. That was my breaking point.

If you live in the desert, or somewhere with very low humidity during the playing season, TPX is a great pistol. For me, its not versatile enough to function in my particular climate.
The Guy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Soup Can Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2010 at 1:30am
I've never had a problem with the paint deforming in my T8 mags. I even accidentally left paint in them for a couple months, and the balls just came out dented bad. Not mushed or stuck together at all.
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2010 at 10:48am
I lost a Tac 8 mag on the field last summer and found it when I came back two weeks later.  There had been two rains in the meantime and the balls were not deformed.  (They were stuck together like 8 beads on a stick, but they weren't deformed.  It was very odd.)
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2010 at 12:16pm
Updated:  Because for the time being I am abandoning my Q-Loader/First Strike capable T9 plans. 

The Facts:
  • The First Strike rounds are impressive.  (Got to see a demonstration.)
    • Simplest explanation would be Flatline range with normal after-market barrel accuracy.
    • Unless there is wind, the low velocity still makes them very susceptible to wind.
  • I put this idea on hold because I wasn't happy with the way the Q-Loader was feeding.  (Which makes me very happy that the First Strike System never came in.)
    • Granted, it is an older Q-Loader I got for free from my local paintball store.  (Owner had picked it up in a trade and used it as a loaner to demonstrate the capabilities.  People kept bringing it back messed up and he got tired of cleaning it.  Since he knew that I like gadgets, I ended up with it.)
    • I think the Q-Loader would probably have worked better with the new detent system on the T9.1s but I am not willing to spend the money to find out..
  • For now, the T9 is on consignment at the local paintball place.  If it doesn't sell, I may revisit this project but for now I am currently messing with other stuff.
Yes, I know this thread was dead awhile and I essentially double posted, but it seemed a good place to revisit issues discussed earlier in the thread.  If you don't like it feel free to send rude PMs to fe or jmac.

Edited for accuracy.

Edited by Mack - 19 April 2010 at 1:13pm
The Guy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Soup Can Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2010 at 12:50pm
Originally posted by Mack Mack wrote:

I lost a Tac 8 mag on the field last summer and found it when I came back two weeks later.  There had been two rains in the meantime and the balls were not deformed.  (They were stuck together like 8 beads on a stick, but they weren't deformed.  It was very odd.)

Was the magazine spring still in the catch?
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2010 at 1:14pm
^^^Yes, but given the rain I would still have expected swelling/deformation.
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2011 at 10:55am
Updated:  Because although this is a necro-post, most of the background information for what I'm posting is in this thread.

The T9 project became viable again when I found a too-good-to-pass-up deal on a T9 First Strike conversion kit.  I've been messing with this for about eight months and here's what's happened so far:
  • Constant air
    • Used the remote adapter that goes in the magazine
    • Mounted a part similar to this on the bottom rail in front of the trigger with a scope ring
    • Ran hose from this part to the bottom of the mag
    • Use it as an ASA for a 13 cu. in. air tank
  • Feed system
    • 1st strike rounds feed fine out of proper magazine
    • Regular rounds feed well from Q-Loader through jury-rigged attachment
    • Also tested T9 hopper adapter with 45 round loader
      • Experienced chopping--decided to only use this setup for testing
  • Observations/conclusions (opinions based on observation only--no truly "scientific" testing)
    • The feed/firing system is such that if you want to switch ammo types by twisting the barrel you will have one round of the no longer wanted type in the chamber that must be fired before desired ammo is available--this is annoying but understandable
    • Experienced velocity deviations in the vicinity of 40 fps when using mixed paint (different brands) with the First Strike bolt in place
      • The risk to others associated with this led to the decision to run only a single type of ammo if I continue this project--the marker will be limited to First Strike rounds only
    • With this in mind, a second First Strike capable magazine was purchased
      • Switching magazines negates the ability to run constant air with the current set up
    • Am trying to find a fitting that will replace the overpressure valve and allow me to run constant air through this location
      • This is an odd size (probably to specifically prevent what I am trying to do) and will require an adapter that fits this location and allows attachment of 1/8" NPT threaded hose
      • This will also require additional parts/modifications
        • Regulator will probably have to be modified to prevent air escape through magazine well when magazine is removed--am hoping I can seal it internally
        • An external in-line regulator (several in the parts box) will be required for velocity adjustment as air feed would bypass the regulator
      • If this works, not even an empty 12 gram will be required in the magazines and some parts could be removed to reduce weight
      • For now, I will just run it off 12 grams
    • First strike performance
      • Range and accuracy is definitely superior to standard projectiles from standard barrels
      • Flatlines/Apex still seem to have range advantage on level shots but the accuracy advantage goes to the First Strike system
      • As a low velocity projectile, they are still affected by crosswinds although I believe somewhat less than standard projectiles from any barrel  (it has always been my experience that balls from backspin barrels really have issues with crosswinds)
        • I would limit my use of this, when completed, to calmer days
I haven't decided yet if this system makes "sniping" and "snipers" really possible in paintball yet.  While it does allow effective engagement from a longer range compared to normal markers, that range is still not sufficient (in my opinion) to prevent detection followed by deployment and engagement from the hostile force.  I have always advocated backspin barrels as adding another tool to one's paintball repertoire by filling a suppressive fire role and I do think the First Strike system fills another niche.  It seems like it would be perfect in the designated marksmen role for staying just behind the main line of engagement and engaging targets that are creating difficulties for one's team members.  At least, that is how I plan to initially use the system at the field I play at.

Edited:  For correction/additional info

Edited by Mack - 09 May 2011 at 11:11am
Arson24 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arson24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2011 at 4:56pm
ok my buddie is not gonna to run with first strike rounds but i did find this
and he is qloading the tpx

but this might help with the qload t9

MY TIPPMANN COLLECTION
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2011 at 5:09pm
Can't Q-Load it through the handle because the First Strike rounds only work in the magazines.
CHiKUN_PiMP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHiKUN_PiMP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2011 at 8:31pm
Ignorance is bliss, why aint you smilin?
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2011 at 12:52pm
nice
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic