Tippmann Paintball Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Paintball Equipment > Which Gun is Best
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Tippmann 98 Rental vs. Custom

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paintball Maniac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tippmann 98 Rental vs. Custom
    Posted: 06 July 2009 at 12:29pm

So heres the story...

Today i recieved what was supposed to be a brand new Tippmann 98 Custom Basic with A.C.T. However when i took it out of the box it said RENTAL where it should say 98 CUSTOM. After some research i have learned that it is just like that 98 custom platinum edition but without the top rails or sling something (as you can see im new to paintball lol). So which is better? im guessing the 98 custom..  Ive heard that they have no preformance differences and that they do from a lot of different people.

ALSO, what i want to do with this gun is upgrade the crap out of it. Is it possible to put on a picitanny rail on it? and this is for putting a scope on correct? I want to make it a sniper, so all you snipers please help a beginner. Any advice for upgrading it into a sniper such as barrel size (or flatline barrel); ive heard of this cyclone feed thing which sounds cool but idk if its worth it, and also i want to get an e-grip for it. Please help! Any help is greatly appreciated!! Thankyou in advance!
Ceesman762 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2009 at 12:42pm
Before the rest of the forum jumps all over you, forget sniping. You can't do it. You ambush in paintball, you can't hit anyone undetected form several hundred yards away with a paintball.  Don't put a scope on the marker, it is just dead weight and will not hold it's accuracy.  Leave it alone and get things like a decent barrel (12 to 14 inch barrel is more than enough)and a HPA tank.
Innocence proves nothing
FUAC!!!!!

mr 400 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mr 400 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2009 at 12:47pm
agreed with Ceesman762 barrel, HPA and good paint are the best thing to do.
mr400
Paintball Maniac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paintball Maniac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2009 at 12:49pm
Ok thanks for the quick reply. So would you recommend the flatline barrel or a 14 inch barrel?
chun12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chun12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2009 at 12:51pm
agreed, you cannot really snipe you can "long shot" a paintball but thats about it. barrel, paint, cyclone (i have one) it works great. you could put an e-frame on it but i hate electroic anything for paintball so. a stock wouldnt be bad either, go eitiher to specopspaintball.com or rap4.com (for the accessories, i have had one of their markers and well thats another story for later but they do a good job for aftermarket parts) maybe a new powertube
04 Spyder Xtra
08 98c Platinum
Pro Carbine
Phiranna PMI Pistol
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2009 at 12:52pm

14 inch barrel.  J&J, Lapco, look at the 14 inch Smart parts barrel too.

Innocence proves nothing
FUAC!!!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paintball Maniac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2009 at 12:59pm

Alright so what im lookin for is a 14 inch J&J barrel, a stock. Can you guys help me on some stuff? like whats an HPA tank? What does the cyclone feed system do? and what do you guys mean by good paint? and PLEASE do any of you no if these accesories will fit on a tipman rental?? i dont want to buy everything and then have it not fit. Thanks

EDIT: and how would the smart parts 14 in fit on the tippman 98? is it the same? sorry if thats a stupid question lol

Edited by Paintball Maniac - 06 July 2009 at 1:02pm
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2009 at 1:06pm
no problem about the questions, that is why you are here.  a stock is optional (more weight) , High Pressure Air tank. Smart Parts and other manufacturers make gear and parts for other makes of markers.  Barrles and HPA tanks should screw righ t into your marker with no issues.
Innocence proves nothing
FUAC!!!!!

chun12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chun12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2009 at 1:07pm
well first a barrel will fit, theres not a specail threading for rentals. I believe the reason it is called rental is because tippmann offered a rental verison for fields that was cheaper and tougher (or its the same as a 98c but with a rental sticker on it) either way its the same marker. Now you claim thats its like the 98c but there are two models of the c the traditional or the platinum, which is it. The platninum is wider (kinda looks like an a5) and has one soild side (right side) and a two piece left side. either way there should be a cap looking thing in the back, you can place a stock in there easily by just unscrewing the back left side and placeing the stock in the fitting. the cylcone feed is a numatic hopper that feeds everytime you finger lets go of the trigger (i think, i own one but im not too into the engineering of it) it just makes your marker shoot faster than a normal grav. feed hopper. good paint means nothing from walmart (usually, i  have had some decent paint but....) go for like paint over $50 a case, like draxxus, marbilizer, (ask a pro shop). HPA is high pressure air, it is what it is. It shoots more accurately, quietly, than co2. co2 is loud and a big white cloud comes out of the end of your barrel. If push comes to shove return the rental if you can and get a platinum or custom. oh you need a good mask to like vforce, jt, evil, etc.
04 Spyder Xtra
08 98c Platinum
Pro Carbine
Phiranna PMI Pistol

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paintball Maniac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2009 at 1:19pm
Thanks guys you really are helping alot. From what ive heard the rental is exactly like the platinum edition 98 custom but without the top rails or sling end cap. (However it is supposed to say 98 rental, but instead just says rental). I would guess they are they same, just different name plate. And how easy it to put in the cyclone feed system? Ive also seen triggers that are longer made for 2 fingers going back and forth. To have this work it would have to be electric in some sense right? because right now i have to cock it before i shoot every time correct?
chun12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chun12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2009 at 1:24pm
for the double trigger you dont need any electronic set up, its just a longer version of the same trigger (you can put it on an e-frame) it just allows you to have a "speedball" trigger, i could care less about it, the stock trigger does me just fine. and no you should not have to "cock" the marker everytime ever. first you make sure your co2/hpa is filled then attach it to the marker via the asa on the bottom (cylinder looking thing with threads on the bottom of the handle) then you should hear a filling noise, cock the gun and fire, and keep firing until the co2/hpa tank is empty. its like shooting a real firearm. and if you dont have the tank fill then yes you will be pulling the bolt back each time because it cant do anything with out a power source.
04 Spyder Xtra
08 98c Platinum
Pro Carbine
Phiranna PMI Pistol

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paintball Maniac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2009 at 1:32pm
Alright thanks chun12 that is what i needed to know. Have any advice on where i should buy my cyclone feeder? or how long did it take you to upgrade your gun to have it? Is it really easy or hard? thanks for the help this forum is already awesome
chun12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chun12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2009 at 1:42pm
well if you have the $, as fast as you can get to the store/buy it online. cyclone feed took like 3 min (if you have the platinum). just follow the instructions. umm where to buy, well dunhams, pro-shops, online (not at wal-mart) maybe outdoor shops idk where you live so idk what stores are nearby/carry in stock, online is the best, pro shops are just as good to get almost anything you want, and if they dont have that specific item they could probably get it with no problem. its real easy to upgrade, you just screw in the barrel, uscrew the left side of the maker place the stock/double trigger rescrew the left side, follow instructions with the cylcone, attach hpa, cock the marker and the cylcone and fire away. oh you sould prob. get a remote coil (its like $30) and get a good one, this allows you to carry the hpa tank away from the marker thus decreasing weight, i always us one. and do you have a pod belt?
04 Spyder Xtra
08 98c Platinum
Pro Carbine
Phiranna PMI Pistol
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2009 at 1:50pm
^^^or use the HPA tank as a rifle stock.
Innocence proves nothing
FUAC!!!!!

oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not old, Not noob. May be Dave's grandma

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2009 at 2:00pm
Originally posted by chun12 chun12 wrote:

well first a barrel will fit, theres not a specail threading for rentals. I believe the reason it is called rental is because tippmann offered a rental verison for fields that was cheaper and tougher (or its the same as a 98c but with a rental sticker on it) either way its the same marker. Now you claim thats its like the 98c but there are two models of the c the traditional or the platinum, which is it. The platninum is wider (kinda looks like an a5) and has one soild side (right side) and a two piece left side. either way there should be a cap looking thing in the back, you can place a stock in there easily by just unscrewing the back left side and placeing the stock in the fitting. the cylcone feed is a numatic hopper that feeds everytime you finger lets go of the trigger (i think, i own one but im not too into the engineering of it) it just makes your marker shoot faster than a normal grav. feed hopper. good paint means nothing from walmart (usually, i  have had some decent paint but....) go for like paint over $50 a case, like draxxus, marbilizer, (ask a pro shop). HPA is high pressure air, it is what it is. It shoots more accurately, quietly, than co2. co2 is loud and a big white cloud comes out of the end of your barrel. If push comes to shove return the rental if you can and get a platinum or custom. oh you need a good mask to like vforce, jt, evil, etc.
  Please refrain from giving advice about things you have no idea about. 

1. Technically, the cyclone feeds everytime you pull the trigger since it is powered by excess gasses from the valve. And it does not make your marker shoot faster, it increases the feed rate over a gravity hopper by force feeding the balls into the chamber following each shot.

2. I agree about not buying paint at Walmart, but I have found paint for around $35/case that is fine for rec play. Try different brands out and see what works for you. Paint to barrel match is the best thing for accuracy. Put a ball in the breech end of the barrel and see what it does. You want the paint to stick in the barrel, but roll out with a puff of breath. If it rolls through without pressure, it is too small, if you can't blow it through, it's too big. Most times when you go to a commercial field they are FPO only anyways, so you won't have that option as to what paint you can use. In these instances, a barrel kit is great to have, but again, for rec play, not necessary.

3. HPA does not shoot more accurately. It is however, more consistent than CO2. Liquid CO2 is reliant on external temperatures to expand into a gas. This expansion rate can vary depending on many factors such as temperature,  rate of fire, use of an expansion valve etc. With such variance your FPS can fluctuate causing inconsistency of pressure between shots and thus inaccuracy. HPA is more consistent, which with a good barrel or barrel system can lead to better accuracy. However, don't be mislead into thinking that with HPA and a decent barrel that ou will be an ubersniper. Ain't gonna hapen. HPA is not quieter than CO2. This misconception may come from the fact that a lot of electro markers that require HPA operate at lower pressure, thus producing less sound. Other than that, I have no idea where you are pulling this one out of.  Yes, a white cloud can come out of your barrel, but typically only under certain conditions. Usually when the marker is freezing up and shooting ice or when the outside temp is colder. It's not like smoke from a musket or anything.

In regards to the earlier post about upgrading the stock powertube. In a word..... DON'T.  Stock Tippmann internals are perfectly fine. Internal upgrades rarely meet expectations and are IMO a waste of money. Spend the coin on playing time, or if you must send it to a good charity.

Personally, if you feel that you paid for a non-rental Tippmann, I would return it and get what you ordered. Perhaps that deal wasnt as good as it seemed.

Lastly, my biggest suggestion to the OP would be to....... GET OUT AND PLAY! Until you have played 3-4 times, don't even think about upgrading your marker. Depending on your experience and play history, why dump hundreds of dollars into a marker and gear until you have played and know what playing style you prefer as well as what sort of upgrades you NEED. Some of the best players I have played alongside, carried barebones 98's or pumps and dominated. Make sure you are invested before you invest.

Good luck.

Edited by oldpbnoob - 06 July 2009 at 2:06pm
chun12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chun12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2009 at 2:19pm
oldpbnoob:
meh the power tube was like $5 extra and well it had a bigger slot for the cyclone, stock, i like it, helps me to stabilize the marker, true about the cylcone, its just for me i shoot a heck of a lot faster with it than a normal grav fed (as i said idk about the engineering for the cylcone and wasnt too sure how it worked exactly), and if it increases feed rate would that mean that you have the potential to shoot faster since it is feeding at a fairly high rate? for me paint is paint is paint, you get what you pay for, i have shot scoarch, wild streak, draxxus, marbs, tac, shrapnel all out of the same marker, and it shot just fine, hpa/co2 well accurate for me, with the co2 half my shots went sidways and then i switched hpa and well they all at least went the same direction the same time not 100%straight but with a slight curve which is what i want. the hpa thing being quieter well ive only shot it out of my pro carb and well it was fairly quiet to me. and i didnt say anything about being ubersniper with hpa and a barrel, ive been doing this for 6 years and i know there is no such thing as sniping in paintball.
04 Spyder Xtra
08 98c Platinum
Pro Carbine
Phiranna PMI Pistol

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paintball Maniac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2009 at 3:33pm
Ok thanks guys. However if mine for some reason is not a platinum edition will the cyclone feed not work/fit? And do you need HPA for the cyclone system to work? Since it runs of your hpa or whatever does that mean you will lose slot of co2 or hpa way faster than normal?
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2009 at 3:34pm
HPA is not needed for cyclone use. CO2 will run the cyclone.
Innocence proves nothing
FUAC!!!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paintball Maniac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2009 at 3:48pm
Alright and when running of the co2 how fast will the gun shoot? And will the bolt be pulled back automatically everytime because of the co2? I would test it out bit I can't right now and am very eager to know. Thanks
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2009 at 3:57pm
as fast as you can pull the trigger.  if it was assembled correctly it should cycle it self properly, if you have to recock it after every shot, there is a problem.
Innocence proves nothing
FUAC!!!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic