Tippmann Paintball Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Paintball Equipment > Gun Maintenace and Repair
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Tippmann a5 low velocity issues

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fluhr12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tippmann a5 low velocity issues
    Posted: 20 July 2009 at 4:43pm
I bought a tippmann a5 in april and the first time i used it i only had a flatline barrel. It shot fine and i could easily adjust the velocity.

Now i have a a2 commando stock, a compressed air tank 48ci 3k psi, and use a remote coil. Last time i used my a5 i could not get my fps above 230. I even tried switching to co2 and i still couldnt get it above 240.
I was wondering if anyone knew what might be wrong.
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not old, Not noob. May be Dave's grandma

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2009 at 7:35pm
Have you tried removing the stock and seeing if the FPS returns back to being able to chrono higher? Sometimes when stocks are added the hole that the main bolt spring goes into is deeper than the stock hole in the rear plug. This can cause the spring to hit the valve pin softer and thus keep the valve open less time leading to lower FPS. Take the marker apart and measur the depth using perhaps a toothpick or something else short and skinny..... If it deeper, a common fix is to put a BB or ball bearing in the hole to push the spring forward. If the hole is the same depth, you may want to check the tightness of the reciever bots. Over tightening can cause the receiver halves to bind on the rear bolt.

Also are you trying it without the remote? If it works without the remote, but not with the remote, try not tightening the on/off for the remote so tight. You should only have to turn it until it engages and maybe a little past. If you crank it down you can actually block the opening of the valve and cause the marker to starve.

Edited by oldpbnoob - 20 July 2009 at 7:37pm
injahnet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injahnet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2009 at 7:58pm
I have the same issue too. It was working fine before I took it apart  and cleaned and oiled it, then put it back together.  Did anyone solve this issue?? Would polishing the rear bolt area help?
TinMan View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TinMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2009 at 9:49pm
Did you split the shells too?

If you swap the drive spring with the cocking handle spring by accident
you'll get 200 fps velocity.

Just a thought.

injahnet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injahnet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2009 at 8:16am
I did split the shell but am certain the springs were put back correctly..  I have a theory.. Maybe oiling the bolt seal creates a backpressure when it engages into the power tube making it slow down too much. I noticed the FPS falls especially after its cleaned.  I will try changing the main spring today and see if my theory is correct.
injahnet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injahnet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2009 at 6:34pm
OK.. went out today..  polished till I could see my face.. Rebuilt stock and put tread grease on all screw in parts including the barrel (F/L). Results... just managed to get to 255 fps.  Not good. 

We have to buy paint from the park...  Looked at what they use.. It seems they switched paint a few weeks back and the paint is smaller....

Is it at all possible that this may be the problem??  The small paint simply wont accelerate above 250 fps no matter how much air we put behind (or around it?  It would also seem the cyclone cycles every time so the air must be good.. 

I noticed the straightline barrell did something similar when I had in the .688 sizer (limit 270 fps) but when I switched to the .686, the fps shot up to 300.  The F/L bore must be the problem..

Comments from the experts or experience are very welcome...
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2009 at 6:54pm
Truthfully, the Flatline operates best between 250-270, so really you are in range. However, you should not have to polish anything in order to get the FPS up. Two things come to mind, how old is the marker? Perhaps your main drive spring is worn out. If so, look into a set of Madman or similiar springs. They come 5 in the pack and some are stiffer to cause the bolt to hit harder, allowing the valve to be open longer, resulting in higher velocity. Secondly, check the tightness of your receiver halves. The bolts should basically be finger tight, no more. You can overtighten them.

injahnet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injahnet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2009 at 11:35pm
The marker is only 4 months old and played with maybe once a week since getting it new..  When it arrived, I chronod it at about 240. Left it there while I researched the flatline.  It adjusted to 275 which was the recommended velocity according to the manual.  Played for a ffew weeks then cleaned it. I tried to chrono it back to 275 but it simply refuses to go past 250 ish. There are another 5 A5s in the group and they all seem to have a problem getting to 275 except for one...All have flatlines.. There are X7s and army blacks all doing over 300 at will, using the same tanks and paint... Suggest the barrel is the source of the problem... Maybe the paint size to bore ratio is the problem???
TinMan View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TinMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2009 at 11:47pm
ok, I see now you hijacked Fluhr's topic. I was getting confused.

I think Oldpbnoob helped him, maybe make a new topic explaining your issues?
injahnet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injahnet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2009 at 9:07am
Sorry, was not intentional..  I was actually looking for the solution to what I think is a similar problem.. Low velocity.  Would you recommend a new topic looking at paint size or barrel considerations?
injahnet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injahnet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2009 at 10:23pm
I don't know guys, but I am yet to see a thread where this problem has been solved. I see the suggestions, but no answers saying the problem is solved.  I am about to give up...  None of the suggestions work for me..  Tippmann does not seem to have an answer either...
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2009 at 11:55am
I don't see the problem. You said you can adjust it to 255, which is in the range of where the FL typically likes to be. Have you tried replacing the barrel with the stock on? If so, did the FPS increase? If so, voila, you have your proof that it is the barrel. If the barrel is causing the FPS cap and you are unhappy with it, I would suggest trying a stronger main spring.

Another suggestion came to me, regarding cleaning the barrel. Due to their nature, the FL's pic up a lot of crap on the inside, oil, paint residue etc. Take the barrel off and clean it thoroughly. I have seen suggestions of soaking it in hot/warm water with a good strong detergent. I use Dawn as it is a good degreaser. After soaking, use a battle swap to really get in there and clean it. Let air dry and don't put barrel conditioner in it.

Hope that helps.
injahnet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injahnet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2009 at 8:58pm
Sorry oldpbnoob, did not mean to sound awful. Tried everything with the FL, spring change, new powertube, polish... The works.. still struggling to get to 255. For about a month I was able to getup to the recommended 275. FL worked fine.  I've just not been able to get back there since. The only thing I've done is clean the bloody marker. At 255 the  paint is all over the place.. Thats the frustrating part. Will try the new varrel this week when I get the adapter.  Thanks for responding man.
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2009 at 12:13am
The A5 Flatline barrels tend to, in my experience, work best in the mid 260 velocity range.  One other thing to check is if the barrel is properly installed in the shroud.  You would have to disassemble the barrel to do this, but their are marks to help line it back up properly.  The reason to check this is to see if you could be losing air at the breech end of the barrel due to improper installation of the barrel in the shroud.
injahnet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injahnet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2009 at 8:41am
Did all of that..  Had a Tippmann certified tech check everything and he could find no issues.  Used same HPA tank on 98 and had over 300 FPS, so tank ruled out as problem.  I believe the issue is the size of the paint, but have not been able to verify this.  My reason is simple, the 98 has a bore sizer which is .686. The FL is significantly larger. Will try to verify this later this week.
injahnet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injahnet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2009 at 10:40pm
fluhr12... Don't know if you still watch this thread.. Did you ever solve your problem?
injahnet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injahnet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2009 at 9:32pm
OK guys.. I think my theory has been validated..  It seems the size of the paint is a BIG influence on the velocity in a Flatline Barrel.  I tested a FL and Straightline (hammerhead) today with various bore sizers on the SL and paint sizes on the FL.  The FL was not able to get up to 275 with small paint, but does get up to that speed with larger paint.  This I assume is because the bore size is nearly .69-.70 and so alot of pressure is lost around the paint.  The SL with bore size .686 shot the same paint without vel adjustment at a rediculous 330 FPS. Put the FL on and back down to 235. So if you have a FL and can't get the vel up to the recommended 275 (in manual) try a firm, larger paint.  From my rough measurements, you need paint thats around the .69X size to get the velocity up. Can someone else validate my findings please as this I believe would help alot of FL owners...
The Guy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Soup Can Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2009 at 11:55pm
when you run your remote line, back off the screw a little bit, sometimes the screw can block the air passage, giving you drop-off.
injahnet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injahnet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2009 at 9:18am

Thanks, I am aware of that.  I was using the tank directly attached to the ASA. No remote.  Same tank for both the FL and SL.  I a now pretty sure the low velocity at least in my case is a paint size issue..

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic