Forum Home Forum Home > Paintball Equipment > Which Gun is Best
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Review: Tippmann X-7 Phenom

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2010 at 6:40pm
Originally posted by God God wrote:

Only the US Army Line of Markers are made in China.

For some reason this made me snicker.
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not old, Not noob. May be Dave's grandma

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2010 at 12:41pm
Anyone has efficiency data on the Phenom yet? Obviously with the lower operating pressure, it should be considerably more efficient than the standard X7. I know there are aftermarket kits that allow for small HPA/CO2 tanks to be installed in specially made stocks, but before with the very limited shot capacity, IMO made them unappealing. If the Phenom is now getting 3 times the efficiency, they may be worth taking a second look at. For me anyways.  Anybody done any actual bench testing for shots per ounce/CI?
"When I grow up I want to marry a rich man and live in a condor next to the beach" -- My 7yr old daughter.
Nate_X7phenom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nate_X7phenom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2010 at 2:01pm
I have a Brand New X7 Phenom. I was very curious to how "awesome" it would be. So, I went and got 2 of my 20oz. CO2 tanks filled. Well, the gun is just, simply put, "amazing!"  The first hopper of balls i shot, i tried all the firing modes (full auto, 3shot burst, turbo, and electronic single shot). The next hopper of balls, i put it on full auto and juss held the trigger down! IT DID NOT BUST ONE BALL! AND AT FULL AUTO, AT ABOUT 30, 40yards IT WAS EXTREMELY ACCURATE (with stock barrel). And, on top of that, the paint i was shootin was Empire Bullets, BUT, they were a lil over 2yrs old, they juss been laying around and i thought i would get rid of them. So old, dimple paint, and the gun did not bust ONE ball and shot like a dream. Shot better than most electronic guns i have seen with $$$$$ big money hoppers on them. And as far as how many shots u can get. I had a box of 2000 paintballs. And those boxes have 4bags of 500paintblls in them. I shot One WHOLE bag of those, and about 1 morehopper full of another bag ON ONE 20oz. CO2 Tank. Thats very impressive in my opinion. And i also had my gun shootin a steady 300psi wth CO2.....it didnt jump and down, it stayed steady.
Nathan Lambert
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2010 at 2:06pm
If you are getting only 600 shots on a 20 oz CO2 tank, at 300psi, that isn't very good actually.... Standard X7's and other Tippmann operate at 650+psi and get about the same shots per tank that you are describing.
"When I grow up I want to marry a rich man and live in a condor next to the beach" -- My 7yr old daughter.
TinMan View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TinMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2010 at 2:20pm
Brian, I did a 68/3000 shot per tank test in a local pb store, using paint they supplied.

Shot over a chrono using real paint, and in full auto shooting non stop.
The marker shot 850 shots before a FPS change, and stopped shooting
all together by 881 shots.
I was surprised that it went from completely functional, to completely dead
in 30 odd shots.

I posted that on another forum and have had a few requests to do it again
with non stop video. I may do it this spring.

oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2010 at 2:36pm
So it was about 32% more efficient than the standard benchmark of 10shots/ci on a 3k tank.. Seems odd considering that it should get more shots per oz/ci of propellant and also be able to shoot farther into the tank....  I guess it isn't a directly equivalent ratio.
TinMan View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TinMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2010 at 3:05pm
I'm not sure. I've never been concerned with SPT before.

My 98 LP tourny marker will shoot 750 on a 68/3000 at 310 PSI, I was very
impressed that the Phenom did better with no upgrades at all.

I wonder how many extra shots you gain simply from the removal of
the need for blowback?
Access View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Access Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2010 at 3:46pm
For efficiency I can go on the field with 4 smaller pods (100-120 balls) and my hopper full (200 balls) and a tank at 4000psi. I can go through all my balls, maybe 600-650 shots in all and still have roughly 1000psi left in the tank. I know with the A-5 I could typically only use 3 pods b'cos it would start to run out of air by the fourth. So with this gun I get at least one extra pod and maybe two in theory. It's not a huge difference but it's noticeable.
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2010 at 5:32pm
Originally posted by oldpbnoob oldpbnoob wrote:

So it was about 32% more efficient than the standard benchmark of 10shots/ci on a 3k tank.. Seems odd considering that it should get more shots per oz/ci of propellant and also be able to shoot farther into the tank....  I guess it isn't a directly equivalent ratio.

If the first poster/tester was indeed firing non-stop on a 20 oz. bottle of CO2 inadequate expansion could explain the shots/tank result.
Dmon68 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmon68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2010 at 3:59am
I posted a while back asking about the durability of the X-7 Phenom when it came to weather, specifically water/rain. In short, do the experienced pb players here feel comfortable using their phenoms in rain? Light rain and heavy rain (if it makes a difference)?
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2010 at 11:13am
Originally posted by Mack Mack wrote:

Originally posted by oldpbnoob oldpbnoob wrote:

If the first poster/tester was indeed firing non-stop on a 20 oz. bottle of CO2 inadequate expansion could explain the shots/tank result.
True, I kind of thought about that afterwards, but I am still surprised at TinMans results. I mean if it is operating at 1/2 or less than the standard 800+PSI and can shoot farther into the tank shouldn't this thing be getting double the shots + some?

Edited by oldpbnoob - 04 February 2010 at 11:14am
morkh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morkh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2010 at 2:30am
maybe it comes to the tank regulator being used.
could there be a difference if hp or lp is used?
Emoface View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emoface Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2010 at 12:56am

ever since i first found out about the X7 phenom i have wanted one and by the looks of it, it is totally worth the $400 so i am saveing up i shuld have one before summer

Access View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Access Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2010 at 2:50pm
Originally posted by morkh morkh wrote:

maybe it comes to the tank regulator being used.could there be a difference if hp or lp is used?

I was testing this the other day and I found it varied greatly depending on whether I had a good paint/barrel match. Without a match the gun was no better than an ordinary blowback but with a freak barrel it was significantly better.
Nate_X7phenom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nate_X7phenom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2010 at 5:57pm
I beg to differ on the paint/barrel match. When i first got my X7 i could not wait to shoot it. the only paint i had at the time was Empire Bullets (Very good paint), however this particular box of paint was nearing or past 2yrs old.......stock barrel, 40yards, full auto! Shot every ball in a grouping of about 2basketballs, did not bust or miss a single ball.
Nathan Lambert
Access View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Access Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2010 at 2:39pm
Nate I meant in terms of gas efficiency. Our cheapest local rec paint is spectrum or something like that which is .682. Shooting this out of the stock barrel the velocity was somewhat inconsistent and I got no better gas efficiency than the A-5 (even with the same barrel mismatch). Roughly 1000psi (of a 42 cu. in tank) per pod 100-120 balls. When I switched to the freak barrel and used the .682 insert, it went way up. I was getting almost a whole hopper, 180-200 balls per 1000psi.

So my conclusion was that if the paint/barrel bore does not match well, this gun offers no better gas efficiency than the blowback A-5 (with a similar mismatch). Once you get a good paint/barrel match it improves significantly though.
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2010 at 11:20am
So what are the chances of Tippmann coming out with something with the Phenom internals, but in a different, less tactical body? Granted, I like misim markers and all, but seems like it would open up additional markets for Tippmann.
hellcat420 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellcat420 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2010 at 11:38am
just ordered my phenom today, i figured its time to finally retire my a-5 after all these years haha. was wondering if you had to do anything when switching from co2 to compressed air or can you switch back and forth on the go? also i talked to someone from tippmann today and he said they are workin on 556 sized mags for the phenom and they should be out in a couple months. i remember someone askin about it i hope it was in this thread, if not sorry.
FlyByNight View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlyByNight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2010 at 11:41am
You're going to love the Phenom, it's a great marker. The stock barrel is actually pretty good as well.

johny.7389 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johny.7389 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2011 at 4:27am
     While fun and all, it wasn't until that weekend that I was able to put it through it's paces against actual opponents. Playing with a Mix of old and new paint the new Cyclone and the Flex Valve worked flawlessly for me. I did not had one Break on the "7" prototype I had. The Stock held up as expected with no wobble at the mounting point nor any problems when folded.  The firing action was very very smooth. I got to fire a bob long m-tac I think it's called at a local paintball store there, and I didn't like it because it had 0 our of 10 recoil. I felt like I was firing a heavy squirt gun with that thing. The phenom, though operating at such a low pressure gave me a very slight kick, nowhere NEAR my x7's kick, but enough to where I was still satisfied to feel a slight slight recoil. It was nearly as loud as my x7, and the "pop" of firing had a slightly different report. With the lapco 10" assault barrel that was on it, it had a very satisfying bang when firing still.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic