Tippmann Paintball Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Paintball Equipment > Which Gun is Best
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Review: Tippmann X-7 Phenom

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nate_X7phenom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2009 at 4:34pm
Okay, what is the difference between the two? Because didn't Tippmann work w/Hammerhead for the Straightline Barrel?
Nathan Lambert
Nate_X7phenom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nate_X7phenom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2009 at 4:35pm
Okay, so what is the difference between the two? Because didn't Tippmann work with Hammerhead to design the Straightline Barrel?
Nathan Lambert
TinMan View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TinMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2009 at 4:58pm
They are the same, except HH can be bought in 14 inch.

The Apex was never a favorite of mine. It had better range, but was useless at that range.
I haven't used the Flatline on anything except 98's and my A-5, and preferred that over the Apex.

The hammerhead is my favorite barrel.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nate_X7phenom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2009 at 6:22pm
So, what size do u reccomend?
Nathan Lambert
TinMan View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TinMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2009 at 9:02pm
The G36 kit looks great with the 14". Personally  I don't use barrels over 14".

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nate_X7phenom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2009 at 11:35pm
With the 14", will i have the ability to shoot as far as with a 16"?
Nathan Lambert
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2009 at 11:23am
Barrel length is not a factor in range for normal straight barrels once the length gets beyond 8 to 10 inches.  I recommend reading through the stickies posted in the various forums; they contain a lot of useful general paintball knowledge.
buhju1 View Drop Down

Auf wiedersehen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buhju1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2009 at 3:59am
You can get the HH if you want but it's horribly overpriced.
Tippmann's are awesome, but not everything they make is gold. 
The Hammerhead line of barrels doesn't shoot as far as a flatty or apex. 
They are also no more accurate than any decent aftermarket barrel. 
Rifling a paintball is a myth. Rifling is designed for a streamlined object like a bullet. Think of baseball when you think of what a HH does to a paintball. A ball that is spinning like a sideways top is no more accurate than one which is not spinning. Bullets are like drills. Paintballs are like baseballs. A rifling effect on paintballs works when you have paintballs like the Tiberius First Strike rounds. If you haven't seen them, take a look. Because of their shape, they are magazine feed only.
You can get it if you want. You might like it, but I urge you to look into a different barrel. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nate_X7phenom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2009 at 5:16pm
Okay, like i said, i am accepting any and all comments/suggestions. U seem to feel very strongly about what u are telling me! So, what barrel would u recomend? Keep in  mind, i am looking for pinpoint accuracy and Distance. I was told a 14" Freak Barrel would do very well. But what barrel you suggest? and also, what do u think abuot the Tippmann Straightline Barrel?
Nathan Lambert
TinMan View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TinMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2009 at 6:04pm
Maybe a different topic would be good for this, it is the Phenom review thread.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nate_X7phenom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2009 at 7:42pm

I kno, im sorry bro. I tried posting it under upgrades as "Best Barrel for X7'' but nobody posted any comment to me. i'm sorry

Nathan Lambert
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2009 at 12:55am
No one answering your thread is not a good reason to hijack someone else's. 

Perhaps people were waiting to see what you would find by reviewing stickies and using the search function.
buhju1 View Drop Down

Auf wiedersehen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buhju1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2009 at 3:48pm
Originally posted by Nate_X7phenom Nate_X7phenom wrote:

Okay, like i said, i am accepting any and all comments/suggestions. U seem to feel very strongly about what u are telling me! So, what barrel would u recomend? Keep in  mind, i am looking for pinpoint accuracy and Distance. I was told a 14" Freak Barrel would do very well. But what barrel you suggest? and also, what do u think abuot the Tippmann Straightline Barrel?

The Tippmann Straightline is a HH barrel.

The freak is a great barrel but a little pricey. The two-piece barrels are very nice. They do not give you more distance than a stock barrel, but they will give you the ability to change the boring of the front and back of your barrel depending on what kind of paintballs you have and the weather. This is probably the best barrel for speedball, but it is also effective in the woods.
There are only two barrels that will give you extra distance. The apex and the flatline. The flatline is nicer but the apex does more things. I have a flatline on my A5, and an apex on my Azodin Blitz. It's a tossup as to whether the Apex or the Flatline is better in the woods because they are essentially the same barrel in terms of distance and accuracy. The problem with the flatline and apex is that because they put backspin on the balls, they actually slow them down and I have had many players who told me they could easily dodge my balls. I have even done it myself. I have a Custom Products .693 backup barrel for both markers. You can pick the barrel boring you want and it's only $30. 
Gun accuracy isn't measured by how much you spend on a barrel. 
First, accuracy depends on your paintball quality-you need non dimpled paint that won't break in your gun. Also, you need to be aware that paintballs will swell in heat and shrink a bit in colder weather. 

Second, your gun and barrel cleanliness-clean your gun and oil it without the barrel on. Then shoot it a couple times to work the oil through and get rid of excess. By having your barrel off, it keeps your barrel clean and your gun oiled. Even a small drop of oil in your barrel can put unwanted spin on the balls.

Third, shoot HPA. CO2 is put in your tank as a liquid. As you shoot it the liquid coats the inside of your barrel causing some inconsistency in shots. Also, if you were to point your gun down and then dry fire, you would notice small chunks of frost or ice coming out of the barrel. If you shoot brittle paintballs, these small chunks of ice, coupled with the force of the bolt hitting the paintball can greatly increase your chances of a  ball breaking in your gun. When an HPA tank is filled, it is warm and it is all gas. CO2 is also not a good choice for an automatic gun. I have shot CO2 on my Azodin Blitz while shooting fully-auto and sometimes the gun gets so cold it is white with frost and you can't even touch it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nate_X7phenom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2009 at 7:22pm

I notice that the X7 Phenom works at a lower psi of 300psi's opposed to the normal X7 working at 800psi's. I am wondering, does this mean the Phenom will shoot less powerful?  I am just wondering, please let me kno as soon as possible, thank you

Nathan Lambert
psiworx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote psiworx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2009 at 8:30pm
Originally posted by Nate_X7phenom Nate_X7phenom wrote:

I notice that the X7 Phenom works at a lower psi of 300psi's opposed to the normal X7 working at 800psi's. I am wondering, does this mean the Phenom will shoot less powerful?  I am just wondering, please let me kno as soon as possible, thank you

No Nathan is is not less powerful. The Phenom can achieve 300 feet per second velocity (the maximum velocity allowed at any paintball field) with a lower pressure than say.....an A-5 or X-7 that operates at 850 psi.

Most paintball guns were originally designed to operate with unregulated CO2. The pressure can very wildly but on average at room temperature it is around  950 psi. Because CO2 pressure varies so much, players started experimenting with High Pressure Air (HPA) as a propellant. You have to regulate HPA so the natural pressure to regulate it to was 850 psi to mimic CO2.

With the invention of electronic paintball guns players started experimenting with lower and lower operating pressures. The guns use secondary regulators to lower the pressure and up to a point, this makes them more efficient. This is why a Phenom operates at 300 psi.
buhju1 View Drop Down

Auf wiedersehen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buhju1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2009 at 3:30am
850!?!?! Eight hundred fifty!?!?!?!

I couldn't find anywhere that ever said the operating pressure. I thought 300 for the Phenom was a little high. I'm used to 200 max. 

Vibe: 180
PMR: 150
G3: 180
Mini: 150
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not old, Not noob. May be Dave's grandma

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2009 at 8:42am
Originally posted by buhju1 buhju1 wrote:

850!?!?! Eight hundred fifty!?!?!?!

I couldn't find anywhere that ever said the operating pressure. I thought 300 for the Phenom was a little high. I'm used to 200 max. 

Vibe: 180
PMR: 150
G3: 180
Mini: 150
Yes, most Tippmanns need at least 650psi+ to function properly. All the electros you listed do  run off much lower pressures. The Phenom is made to operate at 300psi.
"When I grow up I want to marry a rich man and live in a condor next to the beach" -- My 7yr old daughter.
eagle 6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eagle 6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2010 at 1:21pm
if you want to see some different set ups for this marker check out these pictures from Spokane Paintball Club.

Korben Deck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Korben Deck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2010 at 3:27am
Here is a question: Where was it made? There was a time when we could depend on Tippmann to make it in the USA but that sadly seems to be a thing of the past. Part of my decision when buying  a marker also takes into account where the product was made.

My buddy bought two Bravo Ones (which are made in China), had to return the first and had to take apart the 2nd one to get it working. Where as our 98's never gave us any problem.

So where was this made?
God View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Pull My Finger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2010 at 10:42am
Made in the USA.

Only the US Army Line of Markers are made in China.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic