Tippmann Paintball Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Paintball Equipment > Gun Maintenace and Repair
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Phenom leaking air after firing several times

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Access Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Phenom leaking air after firing several times
    Posted: 19 December 2009 at 8:15pm
I have a new Phenom I just picked up this Friday. After shooting maybe 500 balls it started leaking air.

I fully disassembled and reassembled the flex valve and none of the O-rings appear in any way damaged. When I put it back together, same thing.

Several times, I've hooked up the gun to the air source (compressed air) and everything seems fine. In many cases I can even take several shots (waiting about a second between each) and it still appears fine. But when I shoot for some time, or when I do a really quick burst, it starts to make a hissing noise. The hissing gets progressively worse until I cut the air source.

I'm pretty stumped on this one, no idea what to try next. I took off the air input on the bottom of the grip and did a quick check on the O-rings there. I also checked the O-rings on the part of the grip that feeds into the valve.
phantomesb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phantomesb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2009 at 9:32pm
I am having the exact same problem with my BRAND NEW X7 Phenom. I sent mine back on Monday the 14th and they "fixed" it, returned it to me on Friday the 18th. Unfortunately, it is still doing the exact same thing. Please read my full post and tell me if you think it the description sounds the same.

Thanks!
pesb
Enos Shenk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
~-o@

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enos Shenk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2009 at 10:52am
Where is it leaking from? We need more details to work with.
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not old, Not noob. May be Dave's grandma

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2009 at 11:43am
What FPS are you shooting at? Sounds almost like too much pressure is building and it is venting. Try chronoing  and see if it is still doing it at the correct FPS.
"When I grow up I want to marry a rich man and live in a condor next to the beach" -- My 7yr old daughter.
Access View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Access Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2009 at 12:27pm
I can't tell exactly where the hissing is coming from except that it's somewhere inside the gun. One thing I noticed is there is a little give in the receiver, the valve can move up or down a tad. So one theory is that repeated trigger presses knock the valve up and this disturbs the air link between the grip and the valve. I inspected that last night and did find some very small debris there, I'm going to try firing it again in about an hour (people are still sleeping now) to see if the problem is still there.

As for FPS I am just rapid-tapping the trigger, probably ~10fps or so.

Edited by Access - 20 December 2009 at 12:28pm
Access View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Access Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2009 at 1:47pm
I think I fixed my problem. I will see for certain this either this weekend or the next. I'll post my experience so far just in case someone else has a similar problem.

I kept thinking it was the valve itself b'cos the problem only happened after firing a bit. I reasoned it couldn't be the rest of the air system b'cos otherwise it would be leaking from the very beginning.

Then I noticed the way the trigger works, you push the trigger and the fake 'sear' pounds into the valve, normally depressing the trigger pin and then hitting the valve itself before retracting. Now what I believe was actually happening is that the valve in the receiver has just a little bit of give in the vertical direction. It's not exactly a tight fit. So when the trigger's 'sear' hit the valve, it was knocking the valve up just a little bit. When I thoroughly checked the bottom O-ring on the grip-to-valve link, I noticed some almost microscopic debris on the bottom one. I cleaned it and now everything seems to be working.

I put the gun into full auto mode and set it to 15bps. Dry fired off about 500psi worth of quick bursts, and sustained 'machine gun' auto fire, no leaking or nothing. So the lesson here is, if you have the same problem I have, check the whole air system especially the O-rings on the grip-to-valve link.
chan2dream View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chan2dream Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2010 at 7:44pm

Mine had also leaked from the front barrel. I got it brand new straight out of the box. At first when i connected my Co2 to the marker it fired just fine in semi auto, but when I use full auto thats when it started leaking. It was a continuous leak and the only way to stop it is to unscrew the Co2 tank from the marker.  Called tippmann and they said to send it back.

The 2 year warranty is great and all but to send it back cost money, $22 dollar 3day shipping USPS. I'm just fustrated that I have a defective product.  So I sent it and when I recieved it back the x7 phenom had stop leaking. But another problem came up. Now the marker is not responding to full auto anymore. I keep on pressing the trigger 3 times and hold NOTHING and thats with a new battery. I tried resetting the the chip and still it won't respond. When I put the marker back on to semi auto and when I  pull the trigger quickly about 4-7 times and after that the marker just squirk out a burst of Co2. Its like having a marker that shoots out snow. I was so upset and I called tippmann about it, and guess what they say again "Send it back in". Thats crazy! I already spent $22 dollar on the first shipping and now another $22 dollar again? I already spent $400 dollar on the marker itself.

Later the next day I tried it again to see if the problem would go away and I'm thinking that the Co2 was freezing up the spool valve or the chip itself, but when I pull the trigger it was working fine again. I thought to myself "What the heck is going on" and this is near christmas day so I decided not to send it back yet cause its going to be a long wait to send it to them and to get it back. So I went woodsballing with my friends and as I was playing the marker was also doing the same problems again. Fired a couple shot in semi auto and after that it stall and won't fire or a guss of Co2 comes out. Full auto does the same thing, squirt out crispy icy Co2. I'm going to called them back on monday and see if tippmann can help me again. I had also sent them out an email last week with a sample video of the marker doing those problems I had described, but I have not recieved any response from tippmann yet. I might think about posting it up on Youtube and let you guys see it for yourself. I'm pretty sure someone out there have had the same problem like mine, and I know that your just as upset as I am, and I have been using my A5 without any problems for years.

Update: here is a video link to youtube:

Edited by chan2dream - 02 January 2010 at 9:23pm
TinMan View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TinMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2010 at 12:20am
Seriously... three threads with the same copy and paste text?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chan2dream Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2010 at 3:08pm

sorry guys I should of posted a new topic. I'm still noob to forums.

ImHUGEnJapan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ImHUGEnJapan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2010 at 11:36am

I had the exact same issue this morning. I gassed up my Phenom and took about 20 shots and then it started leaking air from the velocity adjuster. 

Numbers reference the schematic on page 20 of your manual.

I think I solved the problem (at least this worked for me). My issue was being caused by the regulator body being EXTREMELY tight from the factory. After studying the internals I noticed that the regulator body (20) pushes down on the regulator seat (15). The regulator pin (13) has to form a proper seal with the regulator pin seal (14) or it will leak air.

Use an adjustable wrench and break the regulator body loose.Then re-tighten it, but not as tight from the factory. Reassemble the marker and test fire it. My marker hissed at first, but I kept firing and seems that the regulator pin seated properly and now it doesn't leak air.

I hope this helps.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chan2dream Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2010 at 2:18pm
My gun had started leaking again, but I actually found out where it was leaking from. I don't know if it is a common problem in the phenom but I will tell you where mine had leaked and yours might also leak at the same spot if you had the phenom working before after a couple of rounds of paintball.

Under the spool valve there is a part called the trigger pin plug. Every time you pull the trigger, the trigger will tap the trigger pin and that tapping will cause the trigger plug to become loose and unscrew itself. Its a very easy fix. Just use a correct size allen wrench to screw it back in tight, but you have to make sure the trigger pin is out first before you tighten. To take out the trigger pin, use a magnet or the trigger assembly itself to slightly magnetize the trigger pin and it will pull it down just a bit and you'll be able to pull it out with your fingers or some small pliers. 

I started using Compress air on the phenom and that sort of fix my previous problems I had earlier with CO2. I guess HPA works best for the phenom, and if you don't have an HPA tank don't worry, you can still use CO2 but I recommed only in semi auto mode. The problem with CO2 is that it will freeze up the spool valve and cause the spring to stick, and changing from a liquid state to gas is much more difficult in cold weather. You know what I mean, like that one movie where a boy try to stick his tongue out to lick an icy pole and his tongue got stuck. lol. Besides CO2 is not very consistant like HPA. HPA don't really have freezing problems. Maybe in the summer when its more hot, I'll try to use CO2 again in full auto i'm thinking it might perform better in hot weather condition. Its also very important to lubricate your spool valve also to prevent it from sticking on the spring etc... Tippmann recommend to use DOW 33 lube. So I bought some and will try it out.

Good luck.

Edited by chan2dream - 12 January 2010 at 2:25pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic