Tippmann Paintball Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Paintball Equipment > Gun Maintenace and Repair
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Sear Pin Bending

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sekazi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sear Pin Bending
    Posted: 10 January 2010 at 9:09pm
I just got my Tippmann 98 Custom Pro Platinum Series ACT less than a month ago and when I took it out for the first time and used it I noticed after that day that the sear pin was bent. It seemed to make the hole it went into larger as well. Since then I purchased the Universal Parts Kit and replace the sear pin with the one it came with and I have not had a real chance to test if it will bend again.

Is the pin bending normal? I noticed it did not affect the markers performance any but still I do not know if it should even be happening. And with the Universal Parts kit coming with a replacement sear pin makes me think it is normal but something tells me it is not.
TinMan View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TinMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2010 at 10:11pm
The pin in the universal kit will be fine.

I'm not 100%, but I think some sear pins that were used in the Platinum that had
a 'line knurled' end on one end. I would imagine it was to keep the sear pin
in the right half when the corner shell was removed.
I have replaced 2 that were bent, but it was after tournament use. The regular 98
custom pins I replaced it with are still going strong.

You should be fine. Good luck.
sekazi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sekazi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2010 at 7:00am
Good to know. The pin that came with it does have that then the new one was just a solid piece. I will probably know this coming weekend if it will bend again.
Enos Shenk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
~-o@

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enos Shenk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2010 at 11:14am
Yeah the platinum used a knurled pin to hold in place in the right side reciever half. The problem would probably be the knurled pin left grooves in the soft aluminum reciever half, and a regular non-knurled pin is flattening out the grooves and expanding the hole.

You could try epoxying the thing in there as a temporary fix. For a more permanent fix you would need to have a pin machined down with one fat end and one narrow end and hammer the sucker in there. I don't get how it's BENDING though, since the left side half should be holding the other end of the pin in place...
sekazi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sekazi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2010 at 8:40pm
It is less than a month old. I do not want to do anything that could void the warranty.

When it is bending it is doing it in a U shape. It stays in the hole but it made the holes slightly wider so it is no longer a tight fit. It still fires fine even with the new pin but I have not had a chance to really go all out with it.

When I noticed this I tried bending the pin back to normal but gave up and threw it away and waited for the new one.

Tomorrow I have the rest of my mods coming so when I have it open I will take a picture of the pin hole to show you what it did.
sekazi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sekazi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2010 at 10:42pm
Alright here is some images of the pin hole.

Since taking these pictures I have managed to make the pin fit snug by using a little piece of double stick tape in the hole with the pin. It made it so it no longer wobbles in the hole.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic