Tippmann Paintball Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Paintball Equipment > Which Gun is Best
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

A5 or X7 Phenom

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A5 or X7 Phenom
    Posted: 08 March 2010 at 11:21am

I am ready to buy a new gun, but not sure which one to get. Do I get the new X7 Phenom or the A5 with a bunch upgrades? Any suggections to help me solve this problem?

Thanks for any help.
Kopkins View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kopkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2010 at 9:06pm
I don't like to rely on electronics so I wouldn't get the Phenom. But that's me. If you don't mind using electronics then go for the phenom. From what I've heard its a fantastic gun. It's spool valve based and can run on either co2 or compressed air.

If all you want is a simple marker that'll shoot some paint then go for the A5. Its simple, reliable, and you can make it into whatever you want. The A5 is substantially less expensive so you could purchase a few upgrades or mods with it. Most people start out with upgrading the barrel as a starting point and then see what else they want.

Hope i could be of help =]
Access View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Access Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2010 at 8:07pm
I own both and have played with both extensively. Mainly what you are getting with the phenom is better gas efficiency and marginally better accuracy (with similar barrels). Also phenom is not an electronic gun, at least not like the other electronics out there. It is just a multi-mode trigger frame that has a mechanical mode and an electronic mode. The rest of the gun is completely mechanical.
THE TITAN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THE TITAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2010 at 4:05am

Pros for the A5

-Been around for years so it has a crap ton of upgrades.

-tried and true sear and hammer design ran on all of tippmann's guns EXCEPT for the phenom.

-Can be made just as accurate with a light-weight hammer, and just as fast with a hull effect Egrip. 

- The cosmetic benifits ( in my opinion) side heavilly with the A5 because the design of the phenom limits it greatly for an authentic look on it, despite the 1,000's of cosmetic upgrades tippmann claims it can have.

Pros for the Phenom:

-No braided hose

-Spoolvalve that is designed to fire either Electronically or manually ( No other marker OUT THERE can do that... if you run out of batteries with the A5, you are screwed.)

phenom is much more accurate and smooth out of the box, than any other tippmann.  It is comparable to most 1,000 dollar Electro guns IMO.

- The phenom is a lot more expensive at 400.00s as opposed to an A5 at 180.00's but
+ a decent Egrip for the A5 = 120.00
+ internal upgrades =60.00
+ whatever external upgrades cost you...

You kinda break even.  The phenom is superior out of the box to most guns. But it can only take cosmetic upgrades at this time..... at least that is my understanding.

Flip a quarter for it, bro.

,,/,,
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not old, Not noob. May be Dave's grandma

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2010 at 1:09pm

To be fair, the Phenom is not the only marker that is capable of shooting in either Mech mode or E mode. AGD did this years ago with the E-mag. It would be more accurate to say it is the only currently produced marker that has both E mode and Mech mode. Also, the TPX utilizes a similiar valve, so not ALL Tippmanns are sear trippers. I would also question the "much more accurate out of the box" claim. As the Phenom and X7 share the same factory barrel, they should have simliar performance. However, the Phenom may be more consistent due to the type of valve utilized, so it may result in better accuracy.

A lot of X7 mods will fit the Phenom, so you can change the looks somewhat. However, you would spend about the same amount of money upgrading an A5 to match the performance of the Phenom.
"When I grow up I want to marry a rich man and live in a condor next to the beach" -- My 7yr old daughter.
Access View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Access Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2010 at 7:14pm
I've tried same barrel on each, one after the other. All else being equal, same gas source, same paint, etc., the phenom shoots a little more accurately. It also has less kick. It's not a huge difference but it is there.
THE TITAN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THE TITAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2010 at 12:44am
Originally posted by oldpbnoob oldpbnoob wrote:

To be fair, the Phenom is not the only marker that is capable of shooting in either Mech mode or E mode. AGD did this years ago with the E-mag. It would be more accurate to say it is the only currently produced marker that has both E mode and Mech mode. Also, the TPX utilizes a similiar valve, so not ALL Tippmanns are sear trippers. I would also question the "much more accurate out of the box" claim. As the Phenom and X7 share the same factory barrel, they should have simliar performance. However, the Phenom may be more consistent due to the type of valve utilized, so it may result in better accuracy.

A lot of X7 mods will fit the Phenom, so you can change the looks somewhat. However, you would spend about the same amount of money upgrading an A5 to match the performance of the Phenom.

Look,  You can fit all kinds of after-market parts on the phenom, but because of the weak little mag they put on it (obviously it was designed smaller  as a gun to fit the whole MP5 and UMP fad) it really takes away from cosmetic mods on the gun.  You can try to make it look like an M4, or R36k, or whatever.. .but in the end, it just looks like a sub-machine gun that someone TRIED to make, look like an assault rifle.

The A5 is much more adaptable in cosmetic, after-market parts.

Nobody said the phenom shoots better because of the barrel.  It was already pre-determined a few posts ago that it shoots better due to the flex/spool valve.

As for X7 aftermarket parts, The Standard X7 looks better than the phenom by a mile.  You can mod it up, and it actually looks like a beefy, legit gun ( and looks like what you are trying to make it look like)

They should have made a Phenom (heavy) Model where it encorperated the X7's 4-rail shroud and mag, but held the current technology of the phenom.  I bet money that it would have outsold the phenom's current model by a mile ( unless you're a sub-machine gun type of guy)

As far as performance, about the only thing you can do to make the A5 perform on the same level is Egrip it, and upgrade the cyclone. Even then, it still won't be as air-efficient, will still have a kick which will compromise its accuracy a bit.  The phenom's internals are argumentitively the best of any Tippmann out there (so far)
,,/,,
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2010 at 11:12am
There are different after-market mag wells and mags available.
k3ndawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote k3ndawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2010 at 12:53am
Originally posted by Mack Mack wrote:

There are different after-market mag wells and mags available.

The one that comes to mind for me is Scenario Arms

The guys name is Dan and he's swamped with orders, like mine Wink, but he's stand up guy and makes quality stuff for X7s and Phenoms.

Currently he's got a 5.56 mag and a Beta C mag for the Phenom available.

As for Phenom vs A5, one thing that hasn't really been mentioned is the efficiency of the Phenom.  Personally, I'm getting about 60% - 70% more shots from my Phenom than my A5 or my BT-4 (face it, it's a 98).  Not too shabby.  Thumbs Up

EDIT ---  I just found Dan's video of the Beta C mag on the Phenom on You Tube...   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09RNjgibJY4

Edited by k3ndawg - 13 March 2010 at 1:20am
"God grants liberty only to those who love it,
and are always ready to guard and defend it."
-- Daniel Webster, 1834 --
Access View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Access Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2010 at 2:37pm
One 'gotcha' with the phenom that I discovered two days ago during a day of play is that as you adjust the velocity, you have to be careful to not loosen the end cap of the bolt (the part you screw in with a crescent wrench). When this wasn't tightened down, the cyclone or some other part can malfunction maybe once every several shots, causing ball breaks and such. Once I discovered this problem and fixed it, tightening the end down so it doesn't come loose again, all my problems went away.

Things like the mag I don't really care about. I am not really into the scale stuff. I got the phenom b'cos I wanted a rock solid reliable gun with better gas efficiency. Mine is very stripped down, no mag, no front plate, just the minimal gun and exposed barrel.
k3ndawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote k3ndawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2010 at 2:43pm
Good to know man!  Thanks!!! Thumbs Up
"God grants liberty only to those who love it,
and are always ready to guard and defend it."
-- Daniel Webster, 1834 --
THE TITAN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THE TITAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2010 at 2:12am
OK.  I had no Idea they made a larger mag for the phenom... actually I'm pretty stoked about it, and am going to pick one up this week so I can start modding my phenom up.  I have been deterred to mod it because of the mag, and the fact that having a 9mm mag, on a marker that is suppose to resemble an assault rifle,  just looks really cheesy. I mean its not a big deal to me, as I use the mag as a fore grip primarily, but if you were going to do it, you should do it right.

Out of all 3,  I do use the phenom a lot more.   Remote lines rule of bulky tanks, but found that I needed a stock to balance out the gun, as it had a lot more kick.  The kick is fun and all, for that REAL feel, but My accuracy went to $#IT. ( especially with an RT)  I experienced no  trouble at all using a bone-stock phenom on a remote line. I was able to pull and manuver the marker around almost with the grace of the hand gun, and it was still extremely accurate!  I shredded everyone this past Saturday with it, and only it.

Also man, if you're trying to bridge the gap between an A5 and a phenom, Why not just go for an E7 w. E-grip?

Standard X7's rock. They look completely sick just stock, perform about the same (shooting wise) and is still Tippmann's most upgradable marker, period. I'm constantly debating getting one myself..Confused

Edited by THE TITAN - 16 March 2010 at 2:19am
,,/,,
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic