Tippmann Paintball Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > News And Views > Thoughts and Opinions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hypocrisy (Warning--Health Care Thread)--updated

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hypocrisy (Warning--Health Care Thread)--updated
    Posted: 16 March 2010 at 5:21pm
2nd Warning:  This is intended as a health-care related thread in which I plan on saying bad things about the Democratic party and expect others to do so as well.  Those who dislike such threads may opt out by using the "back" button on their browser.

I found this article on the web and, in my opinion, it highlights/epitomizes the arrogance and hypocrisy of the Democratic party. 

A few of my favorite quotes (and my related thoughts) are below:

WASHINGTON – Democrats defended plans to push massive health care legislation through the House without a direct vote and Republicans assailed the strategy Tuesday . . . . 

I agreed with the Democrats when they said Bush/Republican use of such strategies was "indefensible" and now they go and do this.

. . . House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer said that no final decision had been made on the complex parliamentary strategy, which would allow House Democrats to pass the Senate's health care legislation without voting on the bill itself. Instead House members, who dislike the Senate bill, would vote on a rule for debate that would deem the bill passed once a smaller package of fixes also had passed. . . . 

So . . . they're going to try passing it by voting on something else?  That can't be right.

. . . "We will vote on it in one form or another." . . . 

Apparently it is right.

. . . At the White House, press secretary Robert Gibbs refused to say whether Obama supported the maneuver. . . .

So, the president want's this to pass, but doesn't have the balls to either say "pass it no matter what" or "the end does not justify the means."

. . . "There's going to be a vote on health care reform. You're going to know where people are on health care," Gibbs said. . . . 

But we still won't know where the president is on underhanded strategies related to passing such a bill.

. . . "Anyone who endorses this strategy will be forever remembered for trying to claim they didn't vote for something they did," Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell of Kentucky said . . . . 

Not a McConnell fan, but he describes the situation pretty accurately.

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi wants to shield lawmakers from having to vote directly on the Senate-passed health care bill because it's unpopular with House Democrats.

Aha!  Now we know why they are voting on it this way.  It is a way of voting for something else that only happens to pass the Health Care Bill as a side-effect.  You would think, if the people actually wanted this, that they could just vote on the bill itself.  I can already see future congressional hearings with Democrats making statements like "I didn't support the bill, I just voted for a small package of amendments to it that also happened to pass it" or "hmmm . . . well, I guess it depends on what your definition of 'vote' is."

"Nobody wanted to vote for the Senate bill," Pelosi, D-Calif., explained in a round-table meeting with liberal bloggers Monday.

So, they're going to do something sneaky and assume the public is too stupid to understand what happened?  (If they're right, we deserve whatever happens to health care and the economy.)

Obama has turned up the pressure . . . wooing freshman Democrats in the Oval Office . . . holding . . . sessions . . . that never appeared on his official schedule.

So much for open government.

Edited by Mack - 18 March 2010 at 5:15pm
Hysteria View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 2 - Language, 9/25

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hysteria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2010 at 5:34pm
I skimmed over your post and I'm pretty sure I gathered that you are accusing the Democrats of not being bipartisan and Obama not being open enough about what he is doing.  I mean, I know you're old Mack, but has your senility really erased the eight years before Obama from your mind?  :)
Eville View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
More than 'evil' but not quite 'eviller'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2010 at 5:40pm
Originally posted by Hysteria Hysteria wrote:

I skimmed over your post and I'm pretty sure I gathered that you are accusing the Democrats of not being bipartisan and Obama not being open enough about what he is doing.  I mean, I know you're old Mack, but has your senility really erased the eight years before Obama from your mind?  :)
Originally posted by Mack Mack wrote:

I agreed with the Democrats when they said Bush/Republican use of such strategies was "indefensible" and now they go and do this.

Hysteria View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 2 - Language, 9/25

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hysteria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2010 at 5:50pm
Oh, my b.  Perhaps I should have read the whole thing the first time, but oh well - at least I admitted I didn't thoroughly read it.

Yes, this is hypocritical.  They are politicians, this is what they do.
ParielIsBack View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
future target of fratricide

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ParielIsBack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2010 at 5:58pm
I don't know if people expected Democrats to actually be any better once they had the majority.  I wanted them to, but as Hysteria said, they're politicians.

Frankly, I really think our system needs to change by accepting the fact that it is possible for everyone to vote on issues.
BU Engineering 2012
Rofl_Mao View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
request denied

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rofl_Mao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2010 at 7:18pm
Originally posted by Hysteria Hysteria wrote:

Yes, this is hypocritical.  They are politicians, this is what they do.

So thats an excuse?
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2010 at 7:20pm
Originally posted by ParielIsBack ParielIsBack wrote:

I don't know if people expected Democrats to actually be any better once they had the majority.

I was hoping that they would have learned from the mistakes of the Republicans in general and Newt Gingrich in particular.
jmac3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Official Box Hoister

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmac3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2010 at 8:02pm
I don't care if you don't make a health care thread. It isn't annoying, it makes sense, you don't do 12 a day, and it isn't ONLY bashing democrats/obama.

While you do bash democrats it
Que pasa?

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ParielIsBack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2010 at 9:06pm

Originally posted by ParielIsBack ParielIsBack wrote:

I don't know if people expected Democrats to actually be any better once they had the majority.

I was hoping that they would have learned from the mistakes of the Republicans in general and Newt Gingrich in particular.

I agree.  The key word here was "hope".  It's amazing how similar all politicians are.
BU Engineering 2012
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2010 at 9:38pm
Originally posted by jmac3 jmac3 wrote:

I don't care if you don't make a health care thread. It isn't annoying, it makes sense, you don't do 12 a day, and it isn't ONLY bashing democrats/obama.

While you do bash democrats it

How dare you be rationale and civilized with me!  Big smile
oldsoldier View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Crazy old guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2010 at 10:54pm
It's thier turn after 8 years of "Bush" and Republican bashin.

I love the bumper sticker: I will give your President the same respect you gave mine for 8 years.

'With great power comes great responsibility' is a total fail with the current crop of Democrats. Representitive Republic, means you represent the people and thier wishes, not vote as you personally see fit to CYA under Pelosi, Reid, and Obama.
Linus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - language 6.29.10

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2010 at 11:08pm
I'm still trying to get their thought process;

The majority of Americans are against the current proposed plan. They admit that the majority are against the current plan. They admit that they'll probably lose their elections in November if they vote for the plan that the majority are against.

But they still insist on pushing it forward without a single change, and in a way that says "Screw you majority, we don't care what you think because we know better then you"... why?

If it DOES somehow get passed, the Supreme Court will have a heck of a time ruling on states rights.

Edited by Linus - 16 March 2010 at 11:09pm

oldsoldier View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Crazy old guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2010 at 11:51pm
The current challenge will be the 'forced' contract of the bill, or a fine. Virginia is leading the charge per 10th Amendment, where a 'contract' is voluntary, and any citizen of Virginia charged with a fine for not purchasing a mandatory Federal induced 'contract' will be defended by the state.

The Supreme Court already is preparing for the cases, and the precidents are already in place. When the Feds tried to force a 'contracted'storage of out of state produced industrial waste on NY, NY sued and won since the Federal GOvernment can not force a 'contract'on the unwilling. That 10th Amendment thing will be tough for any bill to overcome as written.
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2010 at 2:47am
The drive and hypocrisy behind the health care plan is ridiculous, but whatever. The Dems have made it clear that there's no stopping this bill, and so we might as well sit back and watch the circus.
rednekk98 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dead man...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rednekk98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2010 at 3:12am
I'm beginning to hate politics. You have partisan wing nuts who believe that the Bush administration was so corrupt as to blatantly commit election fraud, kill thousands of US civilians so they could start a war, rig another election, then bomb levy's in New Orleans to kill black people, and create a secret earthquake machine. Both fringe groups think the other side is so evil that they will tolerate whatever evil their side commits because they feel it is necessary to counter the opposition. Unfortunately our political system is such that you need to be a partisan hack to get elected. I'm not certain that being forced to buy insurance is a terrible idea (I live in MA and our health care laws are very similar to the ones purposed) but this process is disgusting, and the Democrats will pay in November, even if the bill turns out to be a good one. I think we can all agree that we need health care reform (except those who want to adopt a faith-healing system) but considering the political climate, compehensive package deals seem like a bad idea, why not pass tort reform, and pre-existing condition and anti-genetic-discrimination laws seperatly since they could  probably get through. the only real reason for this approach is so on party can take credit/blame for reform and has no bearing on public sentiment or pragmatism. I hope after the dems get hosed in november Obama cleans ouse in his cabinet, as dense as Bush was, he at least got Rummy out. The Chicago crew has to go. I'd like to believe my president isn't a deusche, but he keeps bad company. 
jmac3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Official Box Hoister

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmac3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2010 at 3:35pm
Originally posted by rednekk98 rednekk98 wrote:

I'm beginning to hate politics. You have partisan wing nuts who believe that the Bush administration was so corrupt as to blatantly commit election fraud, kill thousands of US civilians so they could start a war, rig another election, then bomb levy's in New Orleans to kill black people, and create a secret earthquake machine.  

Yeah, only real crazy people believe any of that.
Que pasa?

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ParielIsBack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2010 at 4:48pm
I don't think he committed election fraud.  I do think that the way the Florida ballots were handled was at least wrong, if not actually unconstitutional.
BU Engineering 2012
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2010 at 5:35pm
The AP report on the Presidents Fox News interview.

Link

Somebody is hoping things will change before they have to provide a direct answer to a direct question.

Interesting quotes:

Originally posted by article article wrote:

Several times Obama chided Baier for breaking into his lengthy answers with follow-up questions. . . .

As it should be, interrupting the President is bad form.

. . . The tone was set early. Baier first asked about the latest efforts in the House to pass the bill, which elicited Obama's standard talking points about the benefits of the overhaul effort. Baier tried to bring Obama back to the question.

"Bret, let me finish," Obama said. . . .

More accurately, ". . . let me finish talking about stuff unrelated to the question that was asked."

An unhappy Obama completed his answer, repeating his familiar reasons why lawmakers should pass legislation that would deliver the White House a victory on its top domestic priority during an election year when Democrats face tough prospects.

Someone seems to be avoiding the question at hand.

"Let me insert this," Baier said, trying to regain control of the conversation by citing some of the 18,000 questions Fox News viewers had sent to him ahead of the interview. The two he mentioned were critical of what they called bribery and trickery to pass a bill supposedly good for the country.

"Bret, I get 40,000 letters or e-mails a day," Obama said. . . .

Interesting, but not an answer.

. . . Fox has faced withering criticism for its treatment of the Democratic White House. On Sunday, former New York Times editor Howell Raines decried the network and questioned why other news organizations lend it legitimacy.

"Why haven't America's old-school news organizations blown the whistle . . . for using the network to conduct a propaganda campaign against the Obama administration — a campaign without precedent in our modern political history?"

Irony is ironic. Link

The president sought to avoid questions about the legislative process Democrats are weighing to pass the proposal.

Apparently the open and transparent thing only applies to people that agree with his positions.

If the health care reform is so darn important someone needs to grow a pair and just say "this is how we're going to get it through."  (I wouldn't like him any better, but I would respect him a bit more.)

God View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Pull My Finger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2010 at 6:02pm
So what was the question he was presumably dodging? How do I know that the article is correct if only know the answer without the question?

So... I watched the interview and Obama just played Baier's game. Baier asked loaded questions and Obama answered with the information that he wanted to get across.

Since the vote hasnt happened yet, how is he going to predict what may or may not happen?

Edited by God - 18 March 2010 at 6:04pm
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2010 at 6:38pm
Originally posted by God God wrote:

So what was the question he was presumably dodging? How do I know that the article is correct if only know the answer without the question?

So... I watched the interview and Obama just played Baier's game. Baier asked loaded questions and Obama answered with the information that he wanted to get across.

Since the vote hasnt happened yet, how is he going to predict what may or may not happen?

. . . The tone was set early. Baier first asked about the latest efforts in the House to pass the bill, 

and

"Let me insert this," Baier said, trying to regain control of the conversation by citing some of the 18,000 questions Fox News viewers had sent to him ahead of the interview. The two he mentioned were critical of what they called bribery and trickery to pass a bill supposedly good for the country.

"Bret, I get 40,000 letters or e-mails a day," Obama said. . . .

Interesting, but not an answer.

and

The president sought to avoid questions about the legislative process Democrats are weighing to pass the proposal.

Edited by Mack - 18 March 2010 at 6:40pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic