Tippmann Paintball Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > News And Views > Thoughts and Opinions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hypocrisy (Warning--Health Care Thread)--updated

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not old, Not noob. May be Dave's grandma

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2012 at 8:18pm
I"ll be curious how this effects me. Could be wrong, but it sounds like I just got stuck with more taxes to pay for insurance for those that don't have it. I am also wondering how this will affect our current coverage. Currently, we take my wifes insurance plan at her job. Every year I have to send a letter stating that I am taking their coverage because my job doesnt offer insurance, which they don't. Doesnt the passing of this essentially make a public option available? If so, I wonder if this will count as available coverage from another source and I will now get thrown into the public pool? Will this public insurance pool actually be real insurance or some sort of crappy Medicare type coverage? And at what cost? Considering I have a family history of cancer and exceedingly high cholesterol levels, any insurance I get on my own is typically not going to be cheap.  I get the sneaking suspicion that I will now have to pay more for my own insurance AND get to pay more in taxes to cover the costs for others.

Good day!

Edited by oldpbnoob - 28 June 2012 at 8:20pm
"When I grow up I want to marry a rich man and live in a condor next to the beach" -- My 7yr old daughter.
agentwhale007 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum's Noam Chomsky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2012 at 8:27pm
Originally posted by oldpbnoob oldpbnoob wrote:

I am also wondering how this will affect our current coverage. Currently, we take my wifes insurance plan at her job. Every year I have to send a letter stating that I am taking their coverage because my job doesnt offer insurance, which they don't. 

I'm not sure there will be a change, then. Spousal insurance still exists, as do parent/child plans. 
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2012 at 8:40pm
Originally posted by agentwhale007 agentwhale007 wrote:

I am also wondering how this will affect our current coverage. Currently, we take my wifes insurance plan at her job. Every year I have to send a letter stating that I am taking their coverage because my job doesnt offer insurance, which they don't. 

I'm not sure there will be a change, then. Spousal insurance still exists, as do parent/child plans. 
Yes, but the only reason the insurance company agrees to accept me on the policy is because I do not have an insurance option elsewhere. Will a public pool option count as an available option?
"When I grow up I want to marry a rich man and live in a condor next to the beach" -- My 7yr old daughter.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum's Noam Chomsky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2012 at 8:42pm

Yes, but the only reason the insurance company agrees to accept me on the policy is because I do not have an insurance option elsewhere. Will a public pool option count as an available option?

Ohh. Gotcha. 

I have no idea. That's an interesting question to which I do not have an answer. As the "public pool" exists more as subsidies funding to allow people to affordably purchase private insurance rather than a Medicare substitute (Much to the chagrin of fans of universal healthcare programs), I'd imagine not, but I'm not going to pretend like I know for sure. 
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2012 at 9:39pm
This really didn't change anything regarding tax laws...Congress has, traditionally, been given basically unlimited power regarding taxation. But raising taxes is a tough pill to swallow in this economy so they (wrongly) chose to push it as a mandate instead. The government can't force you to take insurance but they can tax you and spend the money where they want to.

That's been an issue raised since the bill was introduced.

Edited by stratoaxe - 28 June 2012 at 9:40pm
mbro View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Original Forum Gangster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2012 at 4:55am
OPBN, your insurance shouldn't change.That's weird that your wife's company doesn't just offer coverage for spouses I figured that was standard procedure. Isn't she a teacher?

Also the insurance exchanges are what you'd be looking at since you're not poor or high risk, the pool thing you were talking about was a temporary thing for people who have pre-existing conditions before the law goes fully in effect. The exchanges are basically a website and a phone line that will make buying insurance easier and explains the terms to you. It allows comparison shopping.

Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos.
FreeEnterprise View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Not a card-carrying member of the DNC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2012 at 8:09am
Originally posted by mbro mbro wrote:

OPBN, your insurance shouldn't change.

LOLLOLWink

Wow, that was funny... Good luck with that. I see a future filled with LOTS of insurance increases... Because giving out free abortions/birth control/medicine/covering your kids till they are 26 is always "free". AMIRITE!

And everything the government runs is efficient and  low cost...

LOL

When reality hits you guys, it will hurt...
They tremble at my name...
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2012 at 8:37am
Originally posted by FreeEnterprise FreeEnterprise wrote:

[QUOTE=mbro>OPBN, your insurance shouldn't change.[/QUOTE>
<div style="color: rgb0, 0, 0 !imant; ">
<div style="color: rgb0, 0, 0 !imant; ">LOLLOLWink
<div style="color: rgb0, 0, 0 !imant; ">Wow, that was funny... Good luck with that. I see a future filled with LOTS of insurance increases... Because giving out free abortions/birth control/medicine/covering your kids till they are 26 is always "free". AMIRITE!<div style="color: rgb0, 0, 0 !imant; ">
And everything the government runs is efficient and  low cost...

LOL
<div style="color: rgb0, 0, 0 !imant; ">When reality hits you guys, it will hurt...

I like the way you always pretend like the inhabitants of this board are naive kids who have yet to experience society.

Here's a pro tip-most of us are college / post college aged working males struggling through the worst economic conditions in recent memory. We're well aware of political fallout.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2012 at 9:47am
I know how old most of you are, it isn't a slam on your intelligence, it is just a point about your life experience. I have more than you, I've watched this "game" play out and the people like us always end up paying higher costs. 

I remember paying $4,000 a year for my family healthcare in 2001. 

Today I pay over $21,000 a year...

Oldpbnoob has kids and is in my same age range, he has watched his rates go up (or his employer has absorbed those increases and he hasn't seen it) but if Obamacare stands, it will be the largest tax increase in the history of the world. Employers won't cover that increase... They can't afford to without raising their product costs, and do you really want to pay MORE for everything you buy?

That will have ECONOMIC implications, no matter what happens politically. You think times are hard now... Dump a TRILLION in new taxes on the back of the economy, and you will see a whole new level of hurt. 

I sold my luxury van and bought a 99 jetta for cash... I've paid off all my debt, (and most of my house) and I'm getting ready for the economic mess that will be here before we know it. I've even taken my retirement money out of the stock market... I hope and pray I am wrong, but it could easily go either way right now.

What do you guys think of this?

Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum's Noam Chomsky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2012 at 9:49am
Originally posted by stratoaxe stratoaxe wrote:

We're well aware of political fallout.

I'm honestly much more interested in having a discussion on here about the actual working components of the act than getting into it about abortions and birth control, because the former is legitimately interesting, as far as potential ramifications economically and culturally go. The latter frankly a worthless conversation, so I don't think I'll partake. 

Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum's Noam Chomsky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2012 at 9:56am

OPBN, your insurance shouldn't change.

Everything I'm reading is pointing to you being the same as far as plan structure goes, OPBN. From what I'm reading, the "public option" carries an opt-in ability if you either have been denied or would be denied coverage due to existing conditions OR cannot afford a plan in your existing situation. "You" being your family can afford to be covered, so it doesn't seem like any opt-in provisions open up. 

Again, most of the stuff I'm reading is in legalize, in which I have no formal training in, so salt, grains, etc. 
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2012 at 10:16am
If it does, you can now effectively blame BUSH...

LOL

And since we are all laughing about this, here is another funny group of clips...

Edited by FreeEnterprise - 29 June 2012 at 10:40am
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2012 at 11:35am

OPBN, your insurance shouldn't change.That's weird that your wife's company doesn't just offer coverage for spouses I figured that was standard procedure. Isn't she a teacher?

Also the insurance exchanges are what you'd be looking at since you're not poor or high risk, the pool thing you were talking about was a temporary thing for people who have pre-existing conditions before the law goes fully in effect. The exchanges are basically a website and a phone line that will make buying insurance easier and explains the terms to you. It allows comparison shopping.
I'm not so sure about that TBH. My wife works for the local school system and we take the insurance offered. Under the policy that they brought in a couple of years ago, they only will allow me on the plan if I either have no insurance under my employer or the insurance offered by my employer is considered an unreasonable burden. In other words, if my employer did offer insurance, but paid no part of it and cost $1k/month, it would be considered unreasonable and they allow me to stay on the plan. During the transition, one of her co-workers husbands had to be taken off of her policy and take the insurance offered by his company.

As it is, our insurance costs have gone already over the past few years. When my wife started 8 years or so ago, our entire insurance costs were covered. Now we are paying a couple of hundred dollars a month AND having to take a policy where we are out a significantly higher out of pocket amount. We were already discussing whether or not we would change our policy to the even higher deductible policy to lower our monthy costs. If I am booted off of this policy, our costs will go up even more, which I seriously think may be a possibility. My wife is going to call when she gets back into town to see if the person that handles the insurance has some insight to this.

It's really easy to say that nothing will change, but some very smart people seem to be unsure of exactly how all this will play out. I hope it does work out, but If I have to start paying higher insurance premiums because I have to get my own policy and I have to pay higher taxes, things are going to seriously suck. I thing some serious reprecussions on the economy could be ahead.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum's Noam Chomsky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2012 at 11:50am

they only will allow me on the plan if I either have no insurance under my employer or the insurance offered by my employer is considered an unreasonable burden. 

I'm not sure I understand what you're seeing as the change, then. 
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2012 at 12:20pm

they only will allow me on the plan if I either have no insurance under my employer or the insurance offered by my employer is considered an unreasonable burden. 

I'm not sure I understand what you're seeing as the change, then. 
Perhaps I misunderstood the insurance exchange and/or public options.  It won't necessarily be a good thing if my employer was forced to offer insurance either. Not sure if they would qualify or not as they have less than 50 employees. I could be wrong, but I get the distinct feeling that one way or the other my wallet is going to get lightened some more.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2012 at 12:22pm
Here are your changes... course you have to go to new media to find them...

Old media won't cover the "costs" as it doesn't help their campaign. Instead they will interview anyone they can find who thinks ObamaTAX is great!

Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum's Noam Chomsky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2012 at 12:32pm

It won't necessarily be a good thing if my employer was forced to offer insurance either.

That may be an issue, but it won't be the public option, I don't think. It has qualifications for opt-in, and by being covered by your wife's plan already I don't believe you qualify for it, and by not qualifying for it, it won't cause a disruption of the cross-coverage clause of your wife's insurance.

Now, your employer offering insurance is a whole other matter, I'd think. Do you happen to know how your wife's insurance qualifies "hardship expenditure" as an exclusion of the cross-coverage clause? 'Cause knowing insurance companies it's probably the world's most conservative definition of hardship. 

Edited by agentwhale007 - 29 June 2012 at 12:33pm
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2012 at 12:49pm

Do you happen to know how your wife's insurance qualifies "hardship expenditure" as an exclusion of the cross-coverage clause? 'Cause knowing insurance companies it's probably the world's most conservative definition of hardship. 
Not sure. Probably a pretty closely guarded secret. All I know is the last time that I was offered insurance by one of my employers is wasn't cheap. Even with them paying for 1/2 it was going to cost me in the $250-$300 range/month IIRC. The family plan, which I didnt need was like $1500/month. Main issue is that I work in one state and my employer is in another. At the time they could not add me to their existing policy and would have had to create a seperate policy with me on it, thus the outrageous expense. If I am understanding it correctly, since my employer is under 50 employees they will not be forced to offer insurance. Might be a ray of light.
mbro View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Original Forum Gangster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2012 at 2:10pm
Man, your guys insurance plans are ridiculous. My out of pocket is $853/year for a $500 deductible PPO. Obviously my company picks up most of the tab. If I had a wife and kids it would be around $1,200/year.

Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos.
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2012 at 3:22pm

Man, your guys insurance plans are ridiculous. My out of pocket is $853/year for a $500 deductible PPO. Obviously my company picks up most of the tab. If I had a wife and kids it would be around $1,200/year.
11 years ago, before my wife took the job with the school system, we had an insurance policy that had a ridiculous decutible (iirc it was like $2500), did not cover pregnancy and was essentially for major issue like if I had a heart attack. It cost us $250/month.  Now, we pay close to $200/month for our entire family. Unfortunately, this $200/month is must our portion. The district is paying the rest as part of her salary and from my understanding it is a substantial amount, over $1k/month.

One thing you need to realize MBro is that you are considerably younger than I am as well. What portion of your insurance is your employer paying? Back in the day, I had an employer paying most of my insurance costs when i was in my 20's. I am surprised it would be that low even with a wife and family because women usually jack up the costs substantially due to the possibility of pregnancies.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic