Tippmann Paintball Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > News And Views > Thoughts and Opinions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hypocrisy (Warning--Health Care Thread)--updated

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
mbro View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Original Forum Gangster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2012 at 4:00pm
Originally posted by oldpbnoob oldpbnoob wrote:

Originally posted by mbro mbro wrote:

Man, your guys insurance plans are ridiculous. My out of pocket is $853/year for a $500 deductible PPO. Obviously my company picks up most of the tab. If I had a wife and kids it would be around $1,200/year.
11 years ago, before my wife took the job with the school system, we had an insurance policy that had a ridiculous decutible (iirc it was like $2500), did not cover pregnancy and was essentially for major issue like if I had a heart attack. It cost us $250/month.  Now, we pay close to $200/month for our entire family. Unfortunately, this $200/month is must our portion. The district is paying the rest as part of her salary and from my understanding it is a substantial amount, over $1k/month.

One thing you need to realize MBro is that you are considerably younger than I am as well. What portion of your insurance is your employer paying? Back in the day, I had an employer paying most of my insurance costs when i was in my 20's. I am surprised it would be that low even with a wife and family because women usually jack up the costs substantially due to the possibility of pregnancies.
They pay pretty much all of it. The company is self insured. All the employees pay the same regardless of age. They give us three different plans to choose from and I have the most expensive one. Your costs only increase when you add dependents to the plan.

Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos.
scotchyscotch View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Truly a shining example to you all.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scotchyscotch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2012 at 4:05pm
Just out of interest, How much, (% of earnings wise) do you guys pay for insurance purely for medical? 
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not old, Not noob. May be Dave's grandma

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2012 at 4:42pm
Originally posted by scotchyscotch scotchyscotch wrote:

Just out of interest, How much, (% of earnings wise) do you guys pay for insurance purely for medical? 
Its not a set percentage. In my wifes case it is actually a quite high percentage, but if you take into account my income it becomes more reasonable. I also work partially on commission so my pay fluctuates, and some years quite a bit. On a "normal" year it would probably be 3% or so of our combined income. This is just strictly based on the cost that we spend for the insurance. It doesnt take into account co pays, medications, emergency room visits etc.

Edited by oldpbnoob - 29 June 2012 at 4:44pm
"When I grow up I want to marry a rich man and live in a condor next to the beach" -- My 7yr old daughter.
evillepaintball View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Not sexy - only dangerous to self

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2012 at 5:42pm

0%
scotchyscotch View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Truly a shining example to you all.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scotchyscotch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2012 at 6:23pm
Yeah that question was a bit stupid. I was just think that I pay 20% on any wages over around £7500 ($11,776) for all tax so with "free healthcare" I was wondering how it stacked up compared to you guys.
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not old, Not noob. May be Dave's grandma

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2012 at 6:44pm

Yeah that question was a bit stupid. I was just think that I pay 20% on any wages over around £7500 ($11,776) for all tax so with "free healthcare" I was wondering how it stacked up compared to you guys.
Wow, had a nice little response, but the stupid spam filter gonged it.

On my last paycheck, I had about 17% taken out for various taxes. This does not include our local school tax and/or property taxes. This was also a low salary check. On my commission checks, quite a bit more is taken out .
"When I grow up I want to marry a rich man and live in a condor next to the beach" -- My 7yr old daughter.
mbro View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Original Forum Gangster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2012 at 2:53am
I pay 31% tax on any given check between my rate and followed by federal income withholding, Social security, state income, medicare, 401k (self funded retirement my company matches .5% up to 6% of my income, I contribute the max match plus 1%) After that it's my health insurance cost of just slightly over $16/week.

I'm sure my insurance falls under the cadillac plan rules and my company is going to pay more taxes because of it.

StormyKnight View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormyKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2012 at 5:13am

Every 2 weeks, I pay $30.28 for health insurance and $3.28 for Dental which covers me and my wife and kids.

In that same pay period, my employer pays $577.63 for health insurance and $62.36 for Dental.
mbro View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Original Forum Gangster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2012 at 3:30am
I just took a ten question quiz on the health care law. I got 10/10 which is better than 99.6% of people that have taken the quiz.....

Let me know what you guys get: http://healthreform.kff.org/quizzes/health-reform-quiz/

evillepaintball View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Not sexy - only dangerous to self

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2012 at 12:41pm
9/10

Turns out I would have gotten 10 if I had read all of the first question.

Edited by evillepaintball - 02 July 2012 at 12:41pm
StormyKnight View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormyKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2012 at 6:32pm
2/10
RoboCop View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Aw man, my butt is rusted...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoboCop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2012 at 7:38pm
9/10 guessing most of it
Linus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - language 6.29.10

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2012 at 11:14am
10/10 answered correctly.

Bi-weekly health insurance for me is $14.42 (for a total of $28.84 a month) with my employer paying $444 a month.

If I had a family it'd cost me $240.15 a paycheck ($480.30 a month) with my employer paying $1,142.70.

Edited by Linus - 03 July 2012 at 11:15am

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic