Tippmann Paintball Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Tippmann Paintball > Paintball Ideas / News From Tippmann
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rebirth of the SMG60/68

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BIGBOSS_202 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rebirth of the SMG60/68
    Posted: 06 August 2010 at 2:00pm
For all those that remember the Tippmann SMG60 it was a decent marker for it's day. I looked at it and it kinds resembles the Sten sub machine gun that was used in World war 2. I was thinking that it would be a sweet look for the Oklahoma Dday to look like the Sten with some mods. For all those that play British forces for Dday it would be a must have.

SMG68

The idea is to have interchangeable magazines and a stronger design to allow for the abuse that comes with hard woodsball play. Upgrades for this should have an air-thru system and a safety switch.

oldsoldier View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Crazy old guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2010 at 8:44pm
Too bad they are such a rarity. I had one loved it, but the paint issue became a problem. I still have a 68Special the son of these SMG's and it is still running.

The SMG was a sturdy marker that stood up weell, my concern was the breach area, seemed potentially weak but mine soldiered on well.

A 'limited' release of an upgraded SMG may be economically unreasonable with the needed molds, was told all the molds were destroyed. Did mod a PVC magazine with a light spring for a 68 Special worked acceptably, but in today's spray and pray enviornment was still a dinosaur.

Still searching EB and CL for either a SMG60 or 68 more for a on the wall display piece.
BIGBOSS_202 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BIGBOSS_202 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2010 at 1:57am
But still for a scenario game like Dday, some would like historical accuracy and it would also justify those who play limited paint games in the milsim context. I think that this dinosaur may still have some life left in it if Tippmann would put their minds to it. 
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Crazy old guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2010 at 9:14pm
They would be a great addition yes, but those in exsistance are collector pieces now, and for the return Tippmann unfortuanately will not remold and produce a limited run, we asked a few years ago and they stated too cost prohibitive.

MilSim fluctuates so much in the paintball world, great interest for a few years then back to pink markers and combat pajamas.

"Grand Gaggles" what I call these 'big games' to me are just fiascos, more enjoy small games where tactics and maneuver win they day not case to kill ratios. We mainly play limited round games, 50-200 rounds depending on amount of players, mission themed, and a lot of ground. I've been out awhile now back, TWC XII is my first outing after a few years off, and at 55 and a retired Army Infantry E-8, I enjoy the comraderie more than the actual games anymore.

Edited by oldsoldier - 07 August 2010 at 9:15pm
BIGBOSS_202 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BIGBOSS_202 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2010 at 10:43pm
I still think that it's a good idea because it's a real world style and 30 round stick magazines are a good thing and allow for a realistic limited paint game.
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2010 at 1:32am
Originally posted by BIGBOSS_202 BIGBOSS_202 wrote:

I still think that it's a good idea because it's a real world style and 30 round stick magazines are a good thing and allow for a realistic limited paint game.

However, none of these facts make a it worthwhile for Tippmann to spend the money retooling to produce them in competition with more modern magazine fed markers that are already competing for a very small segment of the paintball world's money.

And in the real world companies generally don't produce products that don't have a chance of turning a profit.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Crazy old guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2010 at 8:20am
Basically correct, the RAP4 magazine fed (modern design) markers can be produced less expensive than retooling for a almost 30yr old design. After the molds for the reciever castings were destroyed retooling for a very 'limited' run would be seriously cost prohibitive for today's bussiness enviornment.

Yes it would be a fine idea, but like stated we tried once before in a more friendly economic time, and Tippmann stated basically too expensive vs numbers made/sold. It would be just a niche market.
SSOK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2010 at 1:07am
Even if Tippmann did remake an SMG 68, no modern off the shelf tanks would work with the tank (they would need to be siphoned) I highly doubt they would sell for less than $1000.

Mind you, im not trying to be a jerk, but Tippmann doesnt care for the SMG 68. Tippmann could sell 2000 phenoms for every one SMG sold. Heck, even when the 68 special was modern they rushed it out of production.

Edited by SSOK - 17 August 2010 at 1:08am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic